Abercrombie sued over firing of Muslim woman who wore head scarves | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Abercrombie & Fitch faces a lawsuit alleging that it fired a Muslim employee at one of its Hollister stores for wearing a head scarf.
Comments
1 - 20 of 76 Comments Last updated May 25, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Live Free

Canal Winchester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Assimilate, or imigrate to Saudi Arabia!

Since: Nov 10

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Live Free wrote:
Assimilate, or imigrate to Saudi Arabia!
Oh the irony "Live Free".
CLINTONVILLE RESIDENT

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

I can understand this one. I went into Sears last week and something inside told me that someone that I could not see in the backroom might be wearing a scarf so I did the right thing went next door to Lowes. Pssht-
get a clue pepper

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

dr pepper wrote:
send her back where she came from rules are rules.
She is an American citizen, born in New York. Get a clue!
weemz

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Religion (no matter what variety) does not conflict with her being an American. Some earlier posters need to get a clue.
LavendarBlue

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

So, did she not wear the "get up" in her hiring interview and then spring it on them after her probationary period? Actually, I kind of wonder if their feet do not get cold in those flip flops in the winter. And then you see walking in front of them, never at their side, their husband all decked out in button down shirt and tan pants. Hmmmm!
sage

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

weemz wrote:
Religion (no matter what variety) does not conflict with her being an American. Some earlier posters need to get a clue.
Muslims want special treatment DUE to their religion, and she is doing this to get national attention.
It is taking religion TOO FAR. Ih ope she looses and she has to pay.

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Elisha wrote:
<quoted text>
You are in America now!! Get rid of the head scarf. So many times I feel like cutting them off. If you don't like it, you know where the border is.
So live free only applies to you? This is the United States we have freedoms here. That, contrary to what you may believe, is actually the American way.

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Live Free wrote:
<quoted text>We don't guard our borders to keep her kind from leaving. They want to impose sharia on the world!
Her Kind? Oh you mean native born American citizens.

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

sage wrote:
<quoted text>
An American woman would HAVE to cover her head or PAY the consequences. With freedom comes RESPONSIBILITY, ASSIMILATE.
Why should she assimilate to what you want?
hill

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Understandable. The scarf isn't very hip.

New Albany, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

LavendarBlue wrote:
So, did she not wear the "get up" in her hiring interview and then spring it on them after her probationary period? Actually, I kind of wonder if their feet do not get cold in those flip flops in the winter. And then you see walking in front of them, never at their side, their husband all decked out in button down shirt and tan pants. Hmmmm!
No that's not what happened. They knew about the headscarves and told her that she would have to wear ones that matched the brands colors. This she did. Now they are changing the agreement they made with her when she was hired.
TimH

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Was she fired for being Muslim, or for violating company dress code? A&F has the right to enforce their dress code, providing its equally applied. Are there other Muslims who work for A&F that abide by their work rules? Do they have the same restrictions on yarmulke and other religious garb? If so, there is no discrimination.
GOOGLE is your friend

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

LavendarBlue wrote:
She wore the "get up" throughout the interviewing process and was assured by the store manager that IF the scarf was in approved color(s) her wearing it would not be a problem.
boo hoo

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

What happened to the separation of church and state? Isn't Abercrombie a private business? Why is she allowed to sue for discrimination when there should be no religion outside of your place of worship. I don't get to pray at work, I have to keep my religious symbol covered. I just wonder when the hypocrites at the ACLU will jump in. I'm sure A+F have a policy regarding headwear and they asked her to wear the colors of the store and she seemed to have refused. Sounds like she was fired for violating store policy, which I am sure she was informed of when hired. I have never walked into a A+F store and saw the employees wearing anything other than A+F cloths.
kasich jr

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

i have to admit i love this country and believe in freedom but i must admit all the head covering sheet wearing clothes makes me nervous who knows what a person looks like or what they mite have underneath
get a clue pepper

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Was a proud American wrote:
<quoted text> You need to " get a clue" Look around you are slowly getting out numbered by the muslims,somalis,mexicans!! She was told to get the diaper off her head & should have done so! She should be lucky she even got a job !
We'll keep a bunch of you white folk on reservations, maybe for organized hunts. The rest will just have to assimilate themselves into the new America. In a couple generations, except for the "W" branded on their faces, your grandkids will be indistinguishable from the majority population.

:)~ Or you could go back where you came from.
Too bad

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

The real problem is that employers cannot terminate workers without being sued!
What the heck

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

get a clue pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
We'll keep a bunch of you white folk on reservations, maybe for organized hunts. The rest will just have to assimilate themselves into the new America. In a couple generations, except for the "W" branded on their faces, your grandkids will be indistinguishable from the majority population.
:)~ Or you could go back where you came from.
HA! Should be an icon too, this is far too good for just the smile
What the heck

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 27, 2011

Judged:

Too bad wrote:
The real problem is that employers cannot terminate workers without being sued!
Not for some stupid crap like a scarf they can't!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 10 min Pops 30,182
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 19 min Pope Che Reagan C... 185
The Michael Brown Case 21 min Pale Rider 1
Where are all the original legacy posters? 58 min Ghost of Karl 20
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 58 min Go Blue Forever 3,110
ISIS beheads James Foley 1 hr Ghost of Karl 82
Poor, Poor Sarah Palin 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 11
Debate: Ferguson - Columbus, OH 9 hr Duke for Mayor 63

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Columbus People Search