United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Canton should tell us what happened to the farm he grew up on. Who owns it now?
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Who freaking gives a toss wrote:
This thread is completely inconsequential, there is really no need for it to keep polluting the boards.
It isn't useless. It gave you motivation to post.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Van Werts momma lost her farm. We figured that out a long time ago. He's completely gone off the deep end now cuz he wishes he had a windmill on it.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>You are so high and mighty why don't you explain to us how you went from a medical equipment repair man (or something like that) to a truck driver. Why would you let a good paying trade go? Couldn't cut it?
Several reasons:

First of all, it wasn't all that well paying. Even though I was young at the time, I realized that when I got older, I wouldn't be able to climb three flights of stairs with an electric hospital bed or large oxygen tanks. It's heavy lifting at times.

Next of course is it's not a career. You can teach anybody how to deliver and setup home medical equipment in two weeks at best. As for the repair part, technology and tax structure knocked me out of that area. Companies were able to write their equipment off in three years, so in three years, it was zero costed, and the company would just get a new piece of equipment when it broke. Newer equipment at the time came out with three year warranties, so there was no reason to have a repairman around.

Lastly, I realized that when a company closed down or were bought out by another company and I lost my job, there were not many medical delivery driver/ repairman jobs out there. In the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) field, companies get bought and sold all the time. Plus I got sick of being on-call as well.

I realized that I would need something more. A field of work that not anybody can do. I needed something where I would be in demand all the time even in bad economies. I didn't want to be one of those people crying that I'm out of work and somebody should do something for me. I needed to do something for myself. That's when I decided to go into truck driving. I drove a straight truck for a company when I was 18, and knew it wouldn't take long for me to get back into that kind of work.

When I got sick of driving straight trucks, I decided to advance myself one more time. I learned how to drive a tractor-trailer. it was about the time I decided to do something else which was purchase my rental property.
President McCain

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Kennesaw's still upset because his momma worked so many "long, hard" nights in the various deep south truckstop parking lots while his grandpappy gave him everything he'd need for a lifetime of self entitlement and tax evasion. Ya know, good old fashioned Murican wealth!
Now he wants to eat Twinkies and nuke brown people for Jesus. Yep, REALLY admirable... lol
HandMeDownWithAM outh

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

UdintBuildThat wrote:
Canton should tell us what happened to the farm he grew up on. Who owns it now?
Haven't been down that way in quite some time. Last time I checked, the oil companies had the pristine forests and rolling farm hills looking like a toxic waste dump. But still...at least I'm not a lazy, tax dodging moocher, crying about poor people I never see. You know, one of them fancy boys who had everything in their life handed to them. That's where true wisdom comes from...right? Ahhhh ha ha ha ha!
SteamingPileOfPo ps

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>3M---more mental mud! amazing
3M's huh? That's funny because when I think of you and the rest of your Tea Bagger fringe group, I think 3K's. Ku Klux Klan.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

HandMeDownWithAMouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Haven't been down that way in quite some time. Last time I checked, the oil companies had the pristine forests and rolling farm hills looking like a toxic waste dump. But still...at least I'm not a lazy, tax dodging moocher, crying about poor people I never see. You know, one of them fancy boys who had everything in their life handed to them. That's where true wisdom comes from...right? Ahhhh ha ha ha ha!
Roflmao....Sounds like the wrath of an idiot whose parents didn't work hard enough or were smart enough to be able to hang onto it so he's gonna take it out on those who were. Btw, before one acre was in my name I already had an office job at an evil corporation and already owned a qtr mil dollar house in the evil burbs. Now I own my gr gr grandpas acres too.
Barrock Obama

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

HandMeDownWithAMouth wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel bad my young marxist.... were gonna make all those damndable people give up everything they owned too. Its jist not fair that you lost your farm to those evil corporations without everyone else losing theirs. And nevermind I'm having 85 Billion dollars per year printed and pilfered down to those corporations whose lobbyists pour all that cash right into the lincoln bedroom
Teabagger 101

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

SteamingPileOfPops wrote:
<quoted text>
3M's huh? That's funny because when I think of you and the rest of your Tea Bagger fringe group, I think 3K's. Ku Klux Klan.
Remember, we ain't a buncha racist, illiterate, backwards thinking science hatin bigots, though.
We just likes ta hate us some colored folk an burn the occasional cross in someone's yard what done deserves em some racial cleansin.
Crimony, if'n it's good enough fer muh grandpappy, it's good enough fer me too, I reckon...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Teabagger 101 wrote:
<quoted text>Remember, we ain't a buncha racist, illiterate, backwards thinking science hatin bigots, though.
We just likes ta hate us some colored folk an burn the occasional cross in someone's yard what done deserves em some racial cleansin.
Crimony, if'n it's good enough fer muh grandpappy, it's good enough fer me too, I reckon...
Right... you're from the party of George Wallace and Jim Crow.
President McCain

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

UdintBuildThat wrote:
<quoted text>
Right... you're from the party of George Wallace and Jim Crow.
Right... and you're from the party of Rush Limbaugh and Vlad Putin.
Shouldn't you be busy paying them rascally chirren minimum wage to tend ta yer great grandpappy's land and evading your taxes like the rest of your shut-in farmer welfare handout taking cult leaders?
Or you could just sell the 400 acres and buy that DREAM Costa Rican trailer home you've had yer eye on since you went all sour grapes about your "sure bet" Romney predictions...
ROFLMAO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

President McCain wrote:
<quoted text>Right... and you're from the party of Rush Limbaugh and Vlad Putin.
Shouldn't you be busy paying them rascally chirren minimum wage to tend ta yer great grandpappy's land and evading your taxes like the rest of your shut-in farmer welfare handout taking cult leaders?
Or you could just sell the 400 acres and buy that DREAM Costa Rican trailer home you've had yer eye on since you went all sour grapes about your "sure bet" Romney predictions...
ROFLMAO
actually them folks ain't chirren workin the 400 acres. Those would be millionaires also.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

Canton knows NOTHING about farming & IF his family tree had anything to do with farming, his branch was pruned long ago.
One point is that Canton does NOT realize that if one is a member of a farm FAMILY, they start WORKING at a very young age to tend crops, milk cows, spread 'fertilizers' collect & candle eggs, tend the hot houses, Farm fish & or freshwater shrimp, market the produce & or livestock, etc. There is NO other way that it works. That's the REAL facts from generation to generation of farm owners. EACH generation EARNS the passing of the family farm from great-grandparent to grandparent to grandchild/child etc. IT is NOT a freebee!! It has been earned!!
The alternative is to sell the land to a developer which happens all too often to pay taxes or settle family feuds or to simply escape the HARD life of a farmer.
Canton & others are unaware of the facts of real farm life. The 'KIDS" work from day one by performing the functions that I have mentioned & EARN what they inherit.
Just Another example of Mental Mud.

Marietta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 1, 2013

Judged:

I could see thru his whole 'I grew up on a farm' line of BS right from the get go. He grew up on food stamps back when kids were still made fun of for it and its pretty obvious.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

Pops wrote:
Canton knows NOTHING about farming & IF his family tree had anything to do with farming, his branch was pruned long ago.
One point is that Canton does NOT realize that if one is a member of a farm FAMILY, they start WORKING at a very young age to tend crops, milk cows, spread 'fertilizers' collect & candle eggs, tend the hot houses, Farm fish & or freshwater shrimp, market the produce & or livestock, etc. There is NO other way that it works. That's the REAL facts from generation to generation of farm owners. EACH generation EARNS the passing of the family farm from great-grandparent to grandparent to grandchild/child etc. IT is NOT a freebee!! It has been earned!!
The alternative is to sell the land to a developer which happens all too often to pay taxes or settle family feuds or to simply escape the HARD life of a farmer.
Canton & others are unaware of the facts of real farm life. The 'KIDS" work from day one by performing the functions that I have mentioned & EARN what they inherit.
Just Another example of Mental Mud.
Agreed, Reading through these posts, it seems I'm the only one here that didn't work on a farm......... but I did have a garden one time. LOL!
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Several reasons:
First of all, it wasn't all that well paying. Even though I was young at the time, I realized that when I got older, I wouldn't be able to climb three flights of stairs with an electric hospital bed or large oxygen tanks. It's heavy lifting at times.
Next of course is it's not a career. You can teach anybody how to deliver and setup home medical equipment in two weeks at best. As for the repair part, technology and tax structure knocked me out of that area. Companies were able to write their equipment off in three years, so in three years, it was zero costed, and the company would just get a new piece of equipment when it broke. Newer equipment at the time came out with three year warranties, so there was no reason to have a repairman around.
Lastly, I realized that when a company closed down or were bought out by another company and I lost my job, there were not many medical delivery driver/ repairman jobs out there. In the Durable Medical Equipment (DME) field, companies get bought and sold all the time. Plus I got sick of being on-call as well.
I realized that I would need something more. A field of work that not anybody can do. I needed something where I would be in demand all the time even in bad economies. I didn't want to be one of those people crying that I'm out of work and somebody should do something for me. I needed to do something for myself. That's when I decided to go into truck driving. I drove a straight truck for a company when I was 18, and knew it wouldn't take long for me to get back into that kind of work.
When I got sick of driving straight trucks, I decided to advance myself one more time. I learned how to drive a tractor-trailer. it was about the time I decided to do something else which was purchase my rental property.
So driving a truck is a field of work that not anybody can do. Really, I know a lot of truck drivers and have nothing against them or what they do. I know some that turned to trucking for various reasons and have never heard one of them say that. However I know quite a few that drive because that's the ONLY thing they know how to do. Not to mention a few who are 'far' from the sharpest knives in the drawer. I have heard them say they went in that direction as a last resort.
President McCain

Van Wert, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>So driving a truck is a field of work that not anybody can do. Really, I know a lot of truck drivers and have nothing against them or what they do. I know some that turned to trucking for various reasons and have never heard one of them say that. However I know quite a few that drive because that's the ONLY thing they know how to do. Not to mention a few who are 'far' from the sharpest knives in the drawer. I have heard them say they went in that direction as a last resort.
Those with inherent intelligence acquire viable skills. Those lacking the intelligence to acquire said skills are used to transport goods.
Those who aren't even "skilled" enough to drive an 18 wheeler, well, they're used to farm their grandpappy's hand-me-down plantation with the help of their fellow "millionaires" and complain about them pesky moocher war vets qualifying for foodstamps. ROFLMAO
And the circle of life continues...
Barrock Obama

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

You dang republicans make me so angry I just wanna order a drone attack on every known republican on my irs database enemy list right now!
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2013

Judged:

woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>So driving a truck is a field of work that not anybody can do. Really, I know a lot of truck drivers and have nothing against them or what they do. I know some that turned to trucking for various reasons and have never heard one of them say that. However I know quite a few that drive because that's the ONLY thing they know how to do. Not to mention a few who are 'far' from the sharpest knives in the drawer. I have heard them say they went in that direction as a last resort.
Well these days, we do have a lot of people out there who are using truck driving because their is nothing in their chosen field of work.

What I mean by a job not anybody can do is you can't apply for a job and they give you the keys and you're on your way. It doesn't work like that. First off, you have to obtain a Class A license. In most cases, that requires training. Then you have to pass a written and road test. After you get done with that, you have to be DOT certified which requires you to pass a physical. You have to get a physical every two years to remain certified.

Most don't know, but having a CDL is not a separate license. They combine all your driving under that CDL. For instance, if I get two moving violations even though I'm driving my car, I can lose my job because my employers insurance will increase dramatically or even not cover me at all. Same holds true of a DUI in my car. If you ever get a DUI on your license, you better find a different line of work because nobody will hire you for many years. Mind you, that's not hard to do because since you have a CDL, police can legally hold you to CDL standards of what drunk is even though you are in your car, and that's about two beers or less.

The Department of Transportation (DOT) can pull you over for no reason at all other than to check out your truck. They check your brakes, lights, fire extinguisher, fluids, and every nut and bolt on the damn thing. You just about have to be a mechanic to get by these checks. In 2010, they came out with a new program called CSA2010. It's a separate category where they keep track of your CSA2010 points. Too many points, and your medical card gets suspended. In fact the last driver that quit his job at our company couldn't find work because he had too many CSA points.

So it's not only getting licensed, it's being able to stay on the road and keep your job that's the trick. Not everybody can do that. As for those people that are using truck driving until they find something better, they usually don't stay on the road very long. Their heart is just not in the job. When you are piloting a 70,000 lbs vehicle in the rain or snow, you better know what you are doing.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 11 min Male 86
blaze aka daydream aka smiles aka Rachael Jarvis 8 hr foster 7
Judge rules that 18-year-old is competent to st... 9 hr They cannot kill a Spook 1
Do you agree with Texas protecting its own border? 10 hr Duke for Mayor 10
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 10 hr Neutral Party 2,901
Little Boy Blue's Got a Job in Town 10 hr Mother Goooz 11
No you agree with Israeli airstrikes into Gaza? 11 hr Neutral Party 30
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search