Who do you support for Governor in Oh...
Pops

Newport, KY

#21462 Oct 26, 2013
OH, Both of the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming & other states have vast lowly populated areas but that can be dealt with by setting official photo ID regs for a school, a church, library or other such place, There could be a van that travels a scheduled route not unlike a Book Mobile or the Medical Help vans travel the poor & destitute parts of the country now.
My late mom had an error on her birth certificate. It took 2 people that knew her with an ID to testify as to her identity & the correction and it was done. Why wouldn't that same scenerio still work today since her errored birth certificate was about the same as not having one?
These issues can be dealt with without invalidating the whole law & it's reasonable intent. Procedures like that would winnow out perceived discrimination.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21463 Oct 26, 2013
"Younger Americans, people without college educations, the poor and Hispanics are among groups most likely to be unable to vote under new state laws requiring photo identification, an analysis of Reuters/Ipsos poll data showed on Wednesday."

"Republican-led state legislatures have passed most of the laws since the party won sweeping state and local election victories in 2010. They say their goal is to prevent voter fraud; critics say they are designed to depress turnout among groups that typically back Democrats.

Decades of study have found virtually no use of false identification in U.S."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/26/us-...
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21464 Oct 26, 2013
So, Pops, here's the short version: Republicans passed laws to address a non-existent problem, which had the effect of suppressing votes of groups that tend to vote Democratic.

If, when the Democrats are in power at the state level and they decide to limit polling places to cities (to save money of course!) However, it might have the result that rural folks (which tend to vote Republican) might be "too lazy" to drive into the city to vote and that would benefit the Democrats.

Would that distress you?
Pops

Newport, KY

#21465 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
So, Pops, here's the short version: Republicans passed laws to address a non-existent problem, which had the effect of suppressing votes of groups that tend to vote Democratic.
If, when the Democrats are in power at the state level and they decide to limit polling places to cities (to save money of course!) However, it might have the result that rural folks (which tend to vote Republican) might be "too lazy" to drive into the city to vote and that would benefit the Democrats.
Would that distress you?
Lazy people live everywhere & I don't want lazy people voting. They would tend to expand the list of freebies that could NOT exist if not for the workers.
I have already addressed the rural voter's ID issue & how to improve it so address that or move on to something else. Another facet or something.
But in the same thought process as your claim that Repubs wrote & passed tilted laws, the same can properly be said about Dems & the ACA. BOTH are examples of why there is so much polarization today.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#21466 Oct 26, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Lazy people live everywhere & I don't want lazy people voting. They would tend to expand the list of freebies that could NOT exist if not for the workers.
I have already addressed the rural voter's ID issue & how to improve it so address that or move on to something else. Another facet or something.
But in the same thought process as your claim that Repubs wrote & passed tilted laws, the same can properly be said about Dems & the ACA. BOTH are examples of why there is so much polarization today.
You're full of it, remember when election day was a day off to go vote. Not into today's world.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#21467 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
Would that distress you?
But. that's not what channel Foxbaugh straight from Camp Sabotage told them.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21468 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
Would that distress you?
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Lazy people live everywhere & I don't want lazy people voting.
So, you would be OK with rural voters being disenfranchised? I don't like it at all. But I don't like laws designed to suppress the vote, no matter which party it favors.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21469 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of it, remember when election day was a day off to go vote. Not into today's world.
In todays world, your employer must allow you time to vote if your state doesn't have absentee ballots that anybody can use.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21470 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>You're full of it, remember when election day was a day off to go vote. Not into today's world.
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote. Free transportation to the voting site and back home. And (just to show how sympathetic I am to those that worry about voter fraud) everyone gets a photo ID, totally free and available everywhere. Any documentation costs fall upon the government, and not the individual. Are my Republican friends with me?
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21471 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>But. that's not what channel Foxbaugh straight from Camp Sabotage told them.
Correct. They told us that if a white person can get an ID to vote, there's no reason why a black person can't do the same. Pretty stupid, huh?

Since: Aug 12

Lilburn, GA

#21472 Oct 26, 2013
Don't black folks in larger metro areas all go vote at least once in every poling station already? What more could they want??? If anyone begs to differ they just call in the black panther van o thugs approved by the attorney general himself!

“ +IAN, AMERICAN, OHIOAN, BELLE”

Since: Sep 11

Bellefontaine, OH

#21473 Oct 26, 2013
UdintBuildThat wrote:
Don't black folks in larger metro areas all go vote at least once in every poling station already? What more could they want??? If anyone begs to differ they just call in the black panther van o thugs approved by the attorney general himself!
ZAP!!!

“ +IAN, AMERICAN, OHIOAN, BELLE”

Since: Sep 11

Bellefontaine, OH

#21474 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote. Free transportation to the voting site and back home. And (just to show how sympathetic I am to those that worry about voter fraud) everyone gets a photo ID, totally free and available everywhere. Any documentation costs fall upon the government, and not the individual. Are my Republican friends with me?
YEP, but your "demo friends" are not likely to be with you.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#21475 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Only if they get a "free" pizza on the way to the polls.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21476 Oct 26, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
I'm full of it? WOW. Thanx for the reminder. Yes I remember when election was a day off, like TODAY! All the more reason that more people can get to the polls. And ALL the more reason that there are fewer excuses NOT to make it.
In fact, let's make election day a state AND federal holiday from work & even fewer people would have an excuse. Of course food service & health care workers etc would still have to work but again, keep the polls open 5am - 8pm & there would be almost no excuses. Good idea Woo-Boy.
Pops

Newport, KY

#21477 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So, you would be OK with rural voters being disenfranchised? I don't like it at all. But I don't like laws designed to suppress the vote, no matter which party it favors.
I didn't say that at all. Please re-read my post.
You & I are not that far apart
Pops

Newport, KY

#21478 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't make voting mandatory. That's a Violation of the 1st amendment. BUT that's an interesting idea.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21479 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not a bad idea. Make election day a national holiday. And make voting mandatory, with a $500 fine if you fail to vote.
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You can't make voting mandatory. That's a Violation of the 1st amendment. BUT that's an interesting idea.
Here's the full text of the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

What part of that would prohibit making voting mandatory?
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#21480 Oct 26, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
DON W SOUTH wrote:
<quoted text>
YEP, but your "demo friends" are not likely to be with you.
I'm pretty sure that action would favor the Democrats. But let the chips fall where they may. And thank you for your support!
YourDaughterLove sCanton

Canton, OH

#21481 Oct 26, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't say that at all. Please re-read my post.
You & I are not that far apart
I can almost hear you gumming that microwaved can of peas. Obama is the reason your VCR has flashed 12:00 for 11 years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
For Cat Lovers Only! 11 min They cannot kill ... 170
Sarah Palin: True Natural Beauty 11 min Palin 1
Poll Who Do You Support For President 32 min Wild Bill 418
AN ODE TO billary! 40 min Pope Che Reagan C... 36
They're Shooting News Reporters On Live TV 48 min Seriouslady 62
Man shot near Ferguson protest….. 1 hr Seriouslady 242
joshua wilkes lapd police officer for life airp... 2 hr __ork From Home 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages