Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#19762 Aug 5, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Very weak indeed.
Newt didn't ask his wife for a divorce while she was in the hospital. She asked him for the divorce. It's apparent that their relationship was on the rocks for some time.
Court documents indicate that Newt wanted a divorce (he was having an affair with a younger woman), but his wife rejected that idea:

"The documents, and interviews with people close to the couple at the time, contradict the Gingrich claim about who wanted the divorce.

Newt Gingrich filed a divorce complaint on July 14, 1980, in Carroll County, saying that "the marriage of the parties is irretriebably (sic) broken."

Jackie Battley Gingrich, the congressman's wife and the mother of Jackie Gingrich Cushman, responded by asking the judge to reject her husband's filing."

And then, there's what he told a close friend:

"Leonard H. "Kip" Carter, a former close Gingrich friend, backed the contention that it was Newt Gingrich who wanted the divorce.

"He (Gingrich) said,'You know and I know that she's not young enough or pretty enough to be the wife of a president,' " Carter, who now lives in South Carolina, told CNN recently, relating the conversation he had with Gingrich the day Gingrich revealed he was filing for divorce. Carter served as treasurer of Gingrich's first congressional campaigns."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/26/politics/gingri...
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#19763 Aug 6, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Court documents indicate that Newt wanted a divorce (he was having an affair with a younger woman), but his wife rejected that idea:
"The documents, and interviews with people close to the couple at the time, contradict the Gingrich claim about who wanted the divorce.
Newt Gingrich filed a divorce complaint on July 14, 1980, in Carroll County, saying that "the marriage of the parties is irretriebably (sic) broken."
Jackie Battley Gingrich, the congressman's wife and the mother of Jackie Gingrich Cushman, responded by asking the judge to reject her husband's filing."
And then, there's what he told a close friend:
"Leonard H. "Kip" Carter, a former close Gingrich friend, backed the contention that it was Newt Gingrich who wanted the divorce.
"He (Gingrich) said,'You know and I know that she's not young enough or pretty enough to be the wife of a president,' " Carter, who now lives in South Carolina, told CNN recently, relating the conversation he had with Gingrich the day Gingrich revealed he was filing for divorce. Carter served as treasurer of Gingrich's first congressional campaigns."
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/26/politics/gingri...
The Gingrich Divorce Myth
Posted on December 2, 2011 | Updated on December 27, 2011| Corrected on December 27, 2011

FULL QUESTION
Did Newt Gingrich ask his former wife to sign divorce papers on her deathbed?

FULL ANSWER

For almost three decades, Newt Gingrich has been dogged by a story that he served his first wife divorce papers while she lay in a hospital bed battling — or in some versions dying from — cancer. It didn’t happen that way.

In fact, Gingrich, the presidential candidate and former House speaker, and his first wife, Jackie Battley, had already separated before she was hospitalized. He had filed for divorce, and she was seeking alimony and custody of their two children. And while Battley had earlier undergone cancer surgery, this time she was in the hospital recovering from surgery to remove a tumor that — according to one of the couple’s daughters — was benign. Battley isn’t talking to reporters, but she’s still very much alive.

According to the former couple’s second daughter, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, the divorce had been set in motion months before the hospital visit. Cushman broke her silence about the incident in a column in May of this year, around the time Gingrich announced that he was running for president. She wrote that her parents told her and her sister that they were divorcing well before her mother was hospitalized in the summer of 1980.

Cushman, May 2011: As for my parents’ divorce, I can remember when they told me.

It was the spring of 1980.

I was 13 years old, and we were about to leave Fairfax, Va., and drive to Carrollton, Ga., for the summer. My parents told my sister and me that they were getting a divorce as our family of four sat around the kitchen table of our ranch home.

Soon afterward, my mom, sister and I got into our light-blue Chevrolet Impala and drove back to Carrollton.

Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.

It is this visit that has turned into the infamous hospital visit about which many untruths have been told. I won’t repeat them. You can look them up online if you are interested in untruths. But here’s what happened:

My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested.

http://www.factcheck.org/2011/12/the-gingrich...
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#19764 Aug 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Posted on December 2, 2011 | Updated on December 27, 2011| Corrected on December 27, 2011
FULL QUESTION
Did Newt Gingrich ask his former wife to sign divorce papers on her deathbed?
FULL ANSWER
For almost three decades, Newt Gingrich has been dogged by a story that he served his first wife divorce papers while she lay in a hospital bed battling — or in some versions dying from — cancer. It didn’t happen that way.
In fact, Gingrich, the presidential candidate and former House speaker, and his first wife, Jackie Battley, had already separated before she was hospitalized. He had filed for divorce, and she was seeking alimony and custody of their two children. And while Battley had earlier undergone cancer surgery, this time she was in the hospital recovering from surgery to remove a tumor that — according to one of the couple’s daughters — was benign. Battley isn’t talking to reporters, but she’s still very much alive.
According to the former couple’s second daughter, Jackie Gingrich Cushman, the divorce had been set in motion months before the hospital visit. Cushman broke her silence about the incident in a column in May of this year, around the time Gingrich announced that he was running for president. She wrote that her parents told her and her sister that they were divorcing well before her mother was hospitalized in the summer of 1980.
Cushman, May 2011: As for my parents’ divorce, I can remember when they told me.
It was the spring of 1980.
I was 13 years old, and we were about to leave Fairfax, Va., and drive to Carrollton, Ga., for the summer. My parents told my sister and me that they were getting a divorce as our family of four sat around the kitchen table of our ranch home.
Soon afterward, my mom, sister and I got into our light-blue Chevrolet Impala and drove back to Carrollton.
Later that summer, Mom went to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta for surgery to remove a tumor. While she was there, Dad took my sister and me to see her.
It is this visit that has turned into the infamous hospital visit about which many untruths have been told. I won’t repeat them. You can look them up online if you are interested in untruths. But here’s what happened:
My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested.
But the fact still remains that Newt wasted over $14 million on a witch hunt that that led to the impeachment fiasco, all the while having an affair during it.
Scandalbot

Canton, OH

#19765 Aug 6, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Not that it's any of your business or that anyone needs justification to be on this thread but I work in Ohio & live in the Cincinnati metro area. So it makes sense that I would post on an Ohio thread.(<:
So the state under your name is a lie? Thanks for clearing that up. Wonder what else you lie about?
Scandalbot

Canton, OH

#19766 Aug 6, 2013
Pops wrote:
<quoted text>You're right, Clinton & Gingrich do not compare to each other. Besides your meaning another Dem, That being J. Edwards, Gingrich was never president nor did he run for the White House. Here you go, using obfuscation to hide your lack of logic while trying to bolster your weak view point.
I haven't lied about anything. You get caught lying often. I base my logic on the years I worked for Newt Gingrich. You base your mouth on emailed Tea Bagger newsletters.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#19767 Aug 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>

Did you notice the correction to your article, which was added on December 27th?

"Update, Dec. 27: In fact, Newt Gingrich had already filed for divorce about two months before the September visit, and Battley was contesting the divorce."
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#19768 Aug 6, 2013
Scandalbot wrote:
<quoted text>
So the state under your name is a lie? Thanks for clearing that up. Wonder what else you lie about?
Pops isn't lying about living in the metro Cincinnati area. Newport is literally right across the river. It's 5 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.
Scandalbot

Canton, OH

#19769 Aug 6, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Pops isn't lying about living in the metro Cincinnati area. Newport is literally right across the river. It's 5 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.
I'm just rattling his cage because he always butts in but then calls everyone else rude. Also, I have caught him blurting out things, on purpose or not, that are just plain false. His claim about our deficit under Obama for instance. Many of the links people provide on here as "fact", usually lead directly to a Tea Party propaganda site.
Scandalbot

Canton, OH

#19770 Aug 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. Like if Hillary had cancer, that would have stopped him. LOL!
Agreed, but then Clinton was just being a dog, where Newt tried to set himself up as a pillar of what traditional family values should be. Also, did you know that the Koch brother oil billionaires had a direct hand in penning The Contract with America?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#19771 Aug 6, 2013
Scandalbot wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't lied about anything. You get caught lying often. I base my logic on the years I worked for Newt Gingrich. You base your mouth on emailed Tea Bagger newsletters.
Newt Gingrich is no different than Bill Clinton when it comes to ethics and morals.
Scandalbot

Canton, OH

#19772 Aug 6, 2013
More on the GOP and their "family values".

http://armchairsubversive.blogspot.com/
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#19773 Aug 6, 2013
Scandalbot wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, but then Clinton was just being a dog, where Newt tried to set himself up as a pillar of what traditional family values should be. Also, did you know that the Koch brother oil billionaires had a direct hand in penning The Contract with America?
Well I tried to tell you how great those Koch brothers are. The Contract With America was one of the best legislations ever written in our lifetime.

Now if you read the FactCheck piece I posted, it told the story of this over decade long torture of a marriage between Newt and his ex-wife. I've seen several bad marriages in my life where the couple would struggle to remain married because of the children. They were loveless marriages like the Gingrich's, and if not for the kids, they would have ended long before they did.

According to the FactCheck article, their troubles started back in 1969 when nobody even knew the name Newt Gingrich. So it's not like he found new fame and decided use his popularity to hunt down women like Clinton. As far as I know, the cheating didn't start until many years after the trouble began.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#19774 Aug 6, 2013
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you notice the correction to your article, which was added on December 27th?
"Update, Dec. 27: In fact, Newt Gingrich had already filed for divorce about two months before the September visit, and Battley was contesting the divorce."
Correct. Perhaps you missed this part, so I'll post it again:

"My mother and father were already in the process of getting a divorce, which she requested."

Here she is making reference to that hospital room visit. Again, the divorce was in the process by her mothers request. And then there is this:

Update, Dec. 27: The court papers made public by CNN reveal that at the time of the hospital visit Battley was seeking alimony, support, custody of the children and legal fees. She got them all.

It appears her reluctance to the divorce was not that she didn't want one, but that she was unhappy with the settlement which is very typical in divorce cases.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#19775 Aug 6, 2013
woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>But the fact still remains that Newt wasted over $14 million on a witch hunt that that led to the impeachment fiasco, all the while having an affair during it.
The impeachment was not because Clinton was having an affair, it was because he lied about making a pass at Paula Jones. Jones sued Clinton which he agreed to pay her off, but she also wanted an apology for the things his minions said about her in public, and Clinton was too proud to make that apology. That's where Monica came into the picture. They were trying to prove that it's very Clinton like to take advantage of his female underlings. When he lied about Monica in court, that's where he screwed up and that's why he was impeached--not because he was fooling around.
Pops

Newport, KY

#19776 Aug 6, 2013
Scandalbot wrote:
<quoted text>
I never said that you lied. I did not lie & I would not be lying unless I said that you were a lucid thinking person, which I would not do.
I do not subscribe to any "Tea Bagger E-mail(s)"either. Another example of your meanness & lack of comprehension while making a baseless assumption.
Oh, Your claim to having logic is a delusion on your part. In fact I am about to bend one of my rules while informing you that you are a true putz. And that is not a lie either.
Pops

Newport, KY

#19777 Aug 6, 2013
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
You meant John Edwards.
Remember that clown running for VP under our current joke of Secretary of state?
America flushed those John's, but gave John Sr. a parting glory reign.
The guy who fathered a love baby while his wife raised his other children while having chemo then dying.
The traditional values are nowhere in the Democratic party, and fleeing the GOP as well.
Do you find it interesting as to how <someone> judged Cantons post that you commented on? Now that's interesting!
Pops

Newport, KY

#19778 Aug 6, 2013
Scandalbot wrote:
<quoted text>
For once I agree with something that you have alluded to. That being that politicians can all to often be bought. Money does buy influence/favors.
It's a shame that SCOTUS has time after time ruled 1st amendment rights concerning 'political contributions' & increased what I call Graft even tho there are other more legitimate names.
Sadly, SCOTUS has made much of it legal & every party takes advantage of it.
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#19779 Aug 6, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The Contract With America was one of the best legislations ever written in our lifetime.
Here's what the Cato Institute said about the Contract, back in 2000:

"Over the past three years the Republican-controlled Congress has approved discretionary spending that exceeded Bill Clinton’s requests by more than $30 billion. The party that in 1994 would abolish the Department of Education now brags in response to Clinton’s 2000 State of the Union Address that it is outspending the White House when it comes to education. My colleagues Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski found that the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%."

The whole article is worth reading.

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/m...
Old Guy

New Carlisle, OH

#19780 Aug 6, 2013
Also interesting is this Rolling Stone article, which sees the Contract as a VERY successful political appeal to the folks that had voted for third party candidate Ross Perot:

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/blogs/na...
BigfootScandals

Canton, OH

#19782 Aug 7, 2013
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The impeachment was not because Clinton was having an affair, it was because he lied about making a pass at Paula Jones. Jones sued Clinton which he agreed to pay her off, but she also wanted an apology for the things his minions said about her in public, and Clinton was too proud to make that apology. That's where Monica came into the picture. They were trying to prove that it's very Clinton like to take advantage of his female underlings. When he lied about Monica in court, that's where he screwed up and that's why he was impeached--not because he was fooling around.
Seeing how I made 10K more a year under Clinton, than I did under Bush, I kinda wish GW would have banged a fat chick also. Instead he went with an unfounded war and unpaid for Medicare.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joe Cocker is dead. 45 min Catman Dave 69
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Duke for Mayor 4,981
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 5 hr Truthful 22
Marriage Vows 5 hr Mandy 1
COPS lives MATTER 6 hr Police Crimes 227
Critics ignore benefits of cameras 8 hr zep 11
Who do you side with in New York and why? 10 hr d pantz 27
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 4:00 pm PST

Bleacher Report 4:00PM
Cincinnati Bengals vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Live Cincinnati Score and Analysis
Bleacher Report 4:32 PM
Making the Case for Watt as MVP
Bleacher Report 4:37 PM
Cincinnati Bengals vs. Pittsburgh Steelers: Live Pittsburgh Score and Analysis
NBC Sports 5:05 PM
Ben Roethlisberger has upset stomach, hasn't warmed up
Bleacher Report 5:15 PM
NFL Playoff Bracket 2015: Postseason Format and Super Bowl Odds for All 12 Teams