|
Dec 28, 2012

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a suggestion for your new motto/disclaimer. Here it is:
"This nation is not a democracy
And no, I do not love the law."
woof
I see nothing odd about that sentiment. This nation is a republic, and a great deal of the law is vile.
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You, as in leftist tools. And show me where I called Scalia a leftist. One decision doesn't define a career.
Right here Fred. This is what you wrote in direct response to my posting of text taken straight form Scalia's opinion in Heller:
<quoted text>Keep that in mind as the last thing you see in this life is some career criminal's weapon in your face. You can take comfort in your legal BS and leftist judicial activism.
That's what you wrote Fred.

You.

Are you on medication today? Or out of it?

woof

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What about under Natural Law?
Man's natural habitat would qualify. Unfortunately, you leftists interpret that as Section 8 housing.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

<quoted text>You, as in leftist tools. And show me where I called Scalia a leftist. One decision doesn't define a career.
You referred to his words as "leftist, judicial activism." I suppose that wasn't what you meant.

Your disclaimer should be, "I don't mean what I say, I mean what I meant."
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am intriqued that Scalia would cite the Pledge of Allegiance as authority. Dude truly is nuts.
Justice Thomas' response is quite informative as well:

http://www.newyorkpersonalinjuryattorneyblog....

woof

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
"Democracy is worth dying for, because it's the most deeply honorable form of government ever devised by man."
Ronald Reagan
Another crazy leftist.
Yes Reagan was a Leftist.
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Justice Stevens ’ response to this concurrence, post , at 51–56, makes the usual rejoinder of “living Constitution” advocates to the criticism that it empowers judges to eliminate or expand what the people have prescribed: The traditional, historically focused method, he says, reposes discretion in judges as well. 8 Historical analysis can be difficult; it sometimes requires resolving threshold questions, and making nuanced judgments about which evidence to consult and how to interpret it.

I will stipulate to that. 9 But the question to be decided is not whether the historically focused method is a perfect means of restraining aristocratic judicial Constitution-writing; but whether it is the best means available in an imperfect world. Or indeed, even more narrowly than that: whether it is demonstrably much better than what Justice Stevens proposes. I think it beyond all serious dispute that it is much less subjective, and intrudes much less upon the democratic process. It is less subjective because it depends upon a body of evidence susceptible of reasoned analysis rather than a variety of vague ethico-political First Principles whose combined conclusion can be found to point in any direction the judges favor. In the most controversial matters brought before this Court—for example, the constitutionality of prohibiting abortion, assisted suicide, or homosexual sodomy, or the constitutionality of the death penalty— any historical methodology, under any plausible standard of proof, would lead to the same conclusion. 10 Moreover, the methodological differences that divide historians, and the varying interpretive assumptions they bring to their work, post , at 52–54, are nothing compared to the differences among the American people (though perhaps not among graduates of prestigious law schools) with regard to the moral judgments Justice Stevens would have courts pronounce. And whether or not special expertise is needed to answer historical questions, judges most certainly have no “comparative … advantage,” post , at 24 (internal quotation marks omitted), in resolving moral disputes. What is more, his approach would not eliminate, but multiply, the hard questions courts must confront, since he would not replace history with moral philosophy, but would have courts consider both .

And the Court’s approach intrudes less upon the democratic process because the rights it acknowledges are those established by a constitutional history formed by democratic decisions; and the rights it fails to acknowledge are left to be democratically adopted or rejected by the people, with the assurance that their decision is not subject to judicial revision. Justice Stevens ’ approach, on the other hand, deprives the people of that power, since whatever the Constitution and laws may say, the list of protected rights will be whatever courts wish it to be. After all, he notes, the people have been wrong before, post , at 55, and courts may conclude they are wrong in the future. Justice Stevens abhors a system in which “majorities or powerful interest groups always get their way,” post , at 56, but replaces it with a system in which unelected and life-tenured judges always get their way. That such usurpation is effected unabashedly, see post , at 53—with “the judge’s cards … laid on the table,” ibid.—makes it even worse. In a vibrant democracy, usurpation should have to be accomplished in the dark. It is Justice Stevens’ approach, not the Court’s, that puts democracy in peril.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

<quoted text>I see nothing odd about that sentiment. This nation is a republic, and a great deal of the law is vile.
That's a pretty good one too I suppose.

"This nation is a republic, and a great deal of the law is vile."

I kinda like the anti-Democracy thingy though. Maybe you could combine them for greater effect.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Anonymous of Indy wrote:
<quoted text>Yes Reagan was a Leftist.
How bout Scalia?

What's your take?

woof
Reality speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

strapped in?

cause we are going surfing!

over the cliff we go..........
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am intriqued that Scalia would cite the Pledge of Allegiance as authority. Dude truly is nuts.
I didn't interpret it as a citation of authority, but more as a citation of evidence of a antecedent, resulting influence.

Either way, its pretty funny.

woof
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

<quoted text>Man's natural habitat would qualify. Unfortunately, you leftists interpret that as Section 8 housing.
What is man's natural habitat? A cave?
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't my fault that when I point out to you what the law is, you don't agree with it. Tis what it tis.
State restrictions upon abortion and gun rights involve the same sort of judicial review applied to fundamental Constitutional rights. That's what you and Fred seem not to understand. States are permitted to restrict/regulate fundamental rights in order to protect a legitimate state/public interest. It happens in the case of abortions. It happens in the case of guns.
woof
Again, you're arguing the legalities of it instead of harmful intent or motive. Lawsuits are public record, but I bet the ambulance chasers would be howling at the moon if a conservative outlet conveniently listed the outcome of those lawsuits, how much money was awarded, or the lawyers take.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you're arguing the legalities of it instead of harmful intent or motive. Lawsuits are public record, but I bet the ambulance chasers would be howling at the moon if a conservative outlet conveniently listed the outcome of those lawsuits, how much money was awarded, or the lawyers take.
Probably not.

http://www.dln.com/

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What is man's natural habitat? A cave?
No doubt in your case.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

<quoted text>No doubt in your case.
And here I thought you might have a rational thought about your assertion. Silly me.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Struck a nerve, huh George?
If the state says its the state's business, or the public's...it is.
The 2nd Amendment is not absolute.
Read the caselaw Fred.
woof
I agree with both of you. The decision to call the law was based on behavior which they were logically due to do whether or not Kermit or Billy Bob has any sort of weapon. And whether or not it's publicly available info depends on the state. The call was still the right thing.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you are misinformed. "Libs" (which appears to be your word for anyone left of Rush Limbaugh) are working all the time to make the voting process better, including cleaning up the voter rolls.
Voters are disenfranchised by the GOP tactics. In order to vote a provisional ballot, one must be properly registered. So, if the BOE sends a card to a voter's street address instead of the voter's PO box and the card is returned "Undeliverable" that voter's registration is "purged." That voter now has to re-register. Of course, that voter has no idea that her registration has been canceled until she shows up on election day and isn't in the book anymore. Can't vote a regular ballot. Can't vote a provisional ballot. Can't vote period.
The problem is when "Libs" bring this type of thing up to the current GOP Secretary of State he acts like you, stomping his feet, covering his ears, and screaming voter fraud. Someday, people in your party will become reasonable again and we will have calm, rational conversation about how to address the legitimate fears you have without disenfranchising people. It can be done, but only after the hysteria stops.
I am barely qualified to discuss Rush. I don't listen to his pompous rants anymore.
Why do you choose to so often be denigrating? "...stomping feet, covering ears & screaming voter fraud"? And then there's .."your party" MY party?? I have said B4 & will say one more time, I have been registered 'Independent' for decades. I have voted both major parties & even Libertarian over time. So I have NO party so to speak. But I will admit to being a Moderate with conservative leanings.
Then there's 'covering ears' again. NO ONE is disenfranchised because there are Provisional Ballots to rectify ANY problem. The Libs call out 'disenfranchisement' of Blacks, the aged, poor, Latino's & others. That is insulting to many because it basically says that they are NOT capable of voting by the lawful process. Some do need some assistance but that is available by a phone call or asking family. Wouldn't you help someone get to the polls or register or mail in a ballot if you were aware? I would.
Please inform me of how Libs have tried to help refine the voting process? If you have something, I am all ears.
Pops

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

one of the good ones wrote:
I think we need to start voting for the best canidate not vote because he is a republican or democrat
Hip Hip Hooray! That's what have done for decades.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>I am barely qualified to discuss Rush. I don't listen to his pompous rants anymore.
Why do you choose to so often be denigrating? "...stomping feet, covering ears & screaming voter fraud"? And then there's .."your party" MY party?? I have said B4 & will say one more time, I have been registered 'Independent' for decades. I have voted both major parties & even Libertarian over time. So I have NO party so to speak. But I will admit to being a Moderate with conservative leanings.
Then there's 'covering ears' again. NO ONE is disenfranchised because there are Provisional Ballots to rectify ANY problem. The Libs call out 'disenfranchisement' of Blacks, the aged, poor, Latino's & others. That is insulting to many because it basically says that they are NOT capable of voting by the lawful process. Some do need some assistance but that is available by a phone call or asking family. Wouldn't you help someone get to the polls or register or mail in a ballot if you were aware? I would.
Please inform me of how Libs have tried to help refine the voting process? If you have something, I am all ears.
You insist on calling anyone who doesn't agree with your right wing agenda "Libs" and then insist that you are a moderate without political party. That is one the more disingenous comments I have read here. Pretending to be moderate while parroting tea party talking points doesn't help your cause.

You obviously didn't read my post. Provisional ballots are NOT available to people not registered. I provided you with an actual scenario in which GOP ham handed efforts to purge voter rolls disenfranchised properly registered voters. It is interesting that you take offense to my characterization of you covering your ears yet you completely chose to ignore what I was teaching you. I guess I was right about how you and your right wing friends react when presented with the truth, wasn't I?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••