Pops

Newport, KY

#25064 Feb 5, 2014
Ham wrote:
<quoted text>Newport pops wrote:
<quoted text>I know someone that says that Man has NOT colonized the moon because there are 'aliens' on the dark side that say that we (mankind) does NOT belong there. He & his wife also say that the contrails from jets are mind control agents being dispensed by the government. AND that since you can NOT disprove that, that makes it true. How can one argue with that 'thought' process?
Copying & pasting this means what? NOTHING at all to the subject thread that YOU put it in.
Please contribute instead of simply adding BS to the thread. Unless that is the best that 'ham/pork' can articulate What the heck is your point....IF you have one?
Your lack of intellect is clearly showing .
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25065 Feb 5, 2014
Pops wrote:
It seems that you have hit on examples of how delicate nature can be.
I have been in awe of the balance of (among others) the desert bio-theme is. For example, most deserts have some life that has adapted to that extreme. Sparse vegetation, rocks & crannies that still harbor insects, arachnids, rodents, snakes & lizards that are all delicately & intricately interacting. With possibly an occasional roaming coyote or raptor in the mix.
IF a 2,3,4 or 5 yr weather change comes about, one species could excell while another diminishes. Just amazingly delicate, wonderfully balanced.
Then humankind comes along & stirs the mix dramatically.
It is amazing how life can thrive in such extreme places. It's a wonder, to be sure.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25066 Feb 5, 2014
Has anyone watched the debate between Bill Nye & Ken Ham? Both Nye and Ham did a very good job. Really interesting, the different viewpoints.

I was surprised by the answers to the last question, or rather by the implications in the answers. The question was: "What is the one thing, more than anything else, on which you base your belief?" I won't try to explain each of the answers, because I wouldn't do them justice, but I was left with the sobering reminder that life and the pursuit of science without God is profoundly meaningless.

You can watch the debate here:
http://debatelive.org/...
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#25067 Feb 5, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
I was surprised that DNA had been extracted from fossils, and very skeptical of the quality of it. It turns out that it is, indeed, very difficult to extract the DNA, and what has been gathered is poor quality. Another concern is modern-human DNA contamination. Even a small amount mixed in with the "Neanderthal's" will skew the results.
Look at this govt website, and in particular, the section about "Authenticity".
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2...
We've come a long way together, mutt. When I first encountered you, you said there was no evidence. Now we are talking about the quality of the evidence.

And you linked to a good article, form a good journal. Well done!

I read all of the "Authenticity" section, and here's what I came away with: this is a difficult problem, and even the most careful scientist can be done in by contamination of samples. Instead of giving up in the face of this difficult challenge, science presses on, and tries to fix the technical problems.

"These observations have spurred the development of several quality control steps in Neanderthal DNA handling and sequencing, including ligating adapters to Neanderthal DNA immediately after extraction to provide molecular barcodes that will distinguish it from modern DNA potentially introduced in downstream applications (Green et al. 2009)."

The best way to understand an article like this is to start with the abstract, a short summary which precedes the article. Here's the essence of this project, from the abstract:

"Here, I will discuss efforts to obtain genomic sequence from Neanderthal, the closest known relative of modern humans. Recent studies in this nascent field have focused on developing methods to recover nuclear DNA from Neanderthal remains. The success of these early studies has inspired a Neanderthal genome project, which promises to produce a reference Neanderthal genome sequence in the near future. Technical issues, such as the level of Neanderthal sequence coverage that can realistically be obtained from a single specimen and the presence of modern human contaminating sequences, reduce the detection of authentic human–Neanderthal sequence differences but may be remedied by methodological improvements. "

Of course, you could also just jump in at the beginning of the article:

"We are a young species. The most recent genetic and fossil evidence suggests that modern humans emerged in East Africa &#8764;200,000 yr ago, a fraction of the estimated 6 million yr since the divergence of the human and chimpanzee lineages (Cavalli-Sforza and Feldman 2003; McDougall et al. 2005). In this brief time, modern humans have spread across the globe, far surpassing all other primate and archaic human species in sheer numbers, geographic range, technological sophistication, and impact on the environment. Our success is due in part to complex biological features, including increased brain size, bipedalism, and modifications in craniofacial and limb morphology, which began to emerge on the human lineage well before the rise of modern humans. These adaptations facilitated the evolution of uniquely human behavioral traits such as language and are ultimately due to DNA sequence changes arising on the human lineage since the human–chimpanzee split. Identifying these changes has become a major focus of human genetics and genomics."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2...

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#25068 Feb 5, 2014
mutt wrote:
Has anyone watched the debate between Bill Nye & Ken Ham? Both Nye and Ham did a very good job. Really interesting, the different viewpoints.
I was surprised by the answers to the last question, or rather by the implications in the answers. The question was: "What is the one thing, more than anything else, on which you base your belief?" I won't try to explain each of the answers, because I wouldn't do them justice, but I was left with the sobering reminder that life and the pursuit of science without God is profoundly meaningless.
You can watch the debate here:
http://debatelive.org/...
I have a question for you. If God created Adam and Eve who then had 2 sons one of which murdered the other how did our earth get populated?.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25069 Feb 5, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
<quoted text>I have a question for you. If God created Adam and Eve who then had 2 sons one of which murdered the other how did our earth get populated?.
Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters. I think the son Eve had after Abel was killed was Seth. He was in the lineage of Christ.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25070 Feb 5, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
We've come a long way together, mutt. When I first encountered you, you said there was no evidence. Now we are talking about the quality of the evidence.
And you linked to a good article, form a good journal. Well done!
I don't want to crap on your new-found respect for me, as I do enjoy debating with you, but I did say that I had misspoke when I used the word "evidence". I should have said "proof". There is evidence for any belief, but the evidence doesn't necessarily prove the theory.

I've consistently tried to discuss the quality of the evidence that scientists have found, as well as the accuracy of the dating methods and the questionable interpretations of the evidence. As I said before, I believe it's possible that another race of humans lived on the earth before Adam's race, and it was destroyed by a catastrophic event. So, I don't doubt that very old fossils have been found. But I doubt the reconstructions of them and the very detailed assumptions that scientists have made about these lifeforms based on very little evidence. The fact that the scientists continually change their opinions, shows that they're making assumptions about things they don't know enough about. I think the evidence more strongly supports the theory that there have been two separate human races and types of lifeforms on the earth at different times, more than it supports any other theory.

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#25071 Feb 5, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam and Eve had other sons and daughters. I think the son Eve had after Abel was killed was Seth. He was in the lineage of Christ.
So they just slept with their siblings then and that's how the earth got populated by inbreeding?. How was Seth in lineage of Christ.

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#25072 Feb 5, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't want to crap on your new-found respect for me, as I do enjoy debating with you, but I did say that I had misspoke when I used the word "evidence". I should have said "proof". There is evidence for any belief, but the evidence doesn't necessarily prove the theory.
I've consistently tried to discuss the quality of the evidence that scientists have found, as well as the accuracy of the dating methods and the questionable interpretations of the evidence. As I said before, I believe it's possible that another race of humans lived on the earth before Adam's race, and it was destroyed by a catastrophic event. So, I don't doubt that very old fossils have been found. But I doubt the reconstructions of them and the very detailed assumptions that scientists have made about these lifeforms based on very little evidence. The fact that the scientists continually change their opinions, shows that they're making assumptions about things they don't know enough about. I think the evidence more strongly supports the theory that there have been two separate human races and types of lifeforms on the earth at different times, more than it supports any other theory.
So did God create these life forms before Adam, thought Adam was a human what type of race was before that.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#25073 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
<quoted text>So they just slept with their siblings then and that's how the earth got populated by inbreeding?. How was Seth in lineage of Christ.
Here's what the Bible says in Genesis 5:

"1This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;

2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:

4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:

5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#25074 Feb 6, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's what the Bible says in Genesis 5:
"1This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, and after his image; and called his name Seth:
4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
Still doesn't answer my question of how the earth was populated. You cant keep inbreeding and have genetically inferior offspring, the gene pool is tainted. So basically Seth just looked like Adam in physical appearance?.
Huh

Croton, OH

#25075 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
<quoted text>Still doesn't answer my question of how the earth was populated. You cant keep inbreeding and have genetically inferior offspring, the gene pool is tainted. So basically Seth just looked like Adam in physical appearance?.
You lady, have missed the part, about the Land Of Nod! People from here were the procreators with Adam & Eve's son!
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25076 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
So they just slept with their siblings then and that's how the earth got populated by inbreeding?.
Yeah, I guess so. If the bible is correct, Adam is the father of all of us.
How was Seth in lineage of Christ.
He had a son, who had a son, who had a son, etc.... all the way to either Joseph or Mary.

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#25077 Feb 6, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text> You lady, have missed the part, about the Land Of Nod! People from here were the procreators with Adam & Eve's son!
So God created more people than just Adam and Eve then?. If that's the case why doesn't it say that in the bible.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25078 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
So did God create these life forms before Adam, thought Adam was a human what type of race was before that.
Probably human, based on the fossils that have been found. I don't know if I'm right -- it just makes sense to me. I believe there had to have been a God to create the universe. It's impossible for us to exist without a miracle. And because of my personal experiences, I believe the Christian God is real. So, I'm basing the hypothesis of another human race on what it says in God's word:

Gen 1:1-5
"1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said,“Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day."

The creation of the heavens and the earth appear to be separate from the 6 days of creation, because day and night were the 1st day, and the earth happened before that.(This is the way I'm interpreting it -- not saying it's the right way.) Plus, dinosaur bones have been found all over the earth, and whatever wiped them out appears to have done a thorough job. If that event had occurred during the past 8,000 years, I think it would have wiped out practically everything. There's no mention of it in any historical writings, though.

God has no beginning, so I'm guessing he's been around a long time. It's difficult to say what he has created before us.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#25079 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
So God created more people than just Adam and Eve then?. If that's the case why doesn't it say that in the bible.
Adam lived for almost 1,000 years, and probably had many children, and their children had children, and so forth. A lot of people can be born in 1,000 years.
Huh

Croton, OH

#25080 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
<quoted text>So God created more people than just Adam and Eve then?. If that's the case why doesn't it say that in the bible.
Why is the sky blue? Why is ice cold? Why is fire hot? Why do politicians lie on every statement? Huh? More research needed?

Since: Jan 13

Lexington, KY

#25081 Feb 6, 2014
Huh wrote:
<quoted text> Why is the sky blue? Why is ice cold? Why is fire hot? Why do politicians lie on every statement? Huh? More research needed?
What is your point?.
Huh

Croton, OH

#25082 Feb 6, 2014
joanna50 wrote:
<quoted text>What is your point?.
. Duh! The point is, we don't know! If you had all the answers , It would not be such a mystery! You have not seen this subject debated before? What was their answer? There are more unanswered questions on this, than any subject in the world! Just guessing, but I would say this is where the " belief ", comes from!
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#25083 Feb 6, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Adam lived for almost 1,000 years, and probably had many children, and their children had children, and so forth. A lot of people can be born in 1,000 years.
And you actually believe that a human being lived to be 1,000 years old. That's just pure batshitinsanity.
I also find it odd that until 2008, God didn't seem to have much interest in talking to politicians, now he wants them to take over the government in HIS Holy name. I wonder what happened in 2008 that pissed God off so badly? And why does he only talk to GOTP'rs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jesus Christ King of Kings Lord of Lord's 26 min Kenny 37
England Outlaws Vulva Piercings 3 hr Beth 10
Chick-Fil-A Heckler CFO Unemployed, on Food Sta... 3 hr Pope Che Antichri... 9
Poll Do Black Lives Matter? 3 hr Pam 39
Poll Do you support Affirmative Action? (Oct '12) 3 hr Pam 27
News Bakken oil trains roll across Columbus 3 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Obama legacy and a nuclear Iran 3 hr REAL American 24
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]