Canton

Canton, OH

#24886 Feb 1, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Much like evolution is the modern man's way of trying to explain a very complicated world without God. And it might have worked, except the world is, indeed, very complicated ... one that requires a designer.
Yah, the concept of all this always being is absurd. Just ask God, the Alpha and Omega. Ha ha ha ha! I'm a Deist like the founders of this great nation. Christianity hi-jacked the country for decades and now I get to watch as America shrugs you off like a cheese scented coat. The cool thing about people who actually believe in science is we don't pretend that we have the answers like you do, seeing there is no possible way you know how all this started or what happens after we die. Saying that you know the answer to these things is not only arrogant, but also what's known as a lie. Something you and all your imaginary friends are very knowledgeable on. You can stick to your rapidly fading fear based superstitions and the rest of us will gleefully leave your conniving 3000 year old lice infested shepherd ways in the past.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24887 Feb 1, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
much easier to ignore you, and if you get feisty about it, just duct tape your mouth.
loons like you swim in Canadian water.
You are creepy. I see you have slipped back into your "It puts the lotion in the basket" mode. When you aren't duct taping people's mouths shut, you like to fish for Marlin in Best Buy's parking lot. Also, responding to my post is really "ignoring" me...right?
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#24888 Feb 1, 2014
Canton wrote:
No need to even click on your link. Youtube as the source of anything about sums you up. Better stick to agreeing with your own posts, lil Putin fan.
You don't want to listen to some black people in Chicago talk about the great job Obama is doing? They produced the video. What are you afraid of ... aren't you dems the ones who are doing so much for the blacks?
&fe ature=player_embedded

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#24889 Feb 1, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow...after stammering "Mission Accomplished", you really want to take it there? Oh, and...how many US soldiers died because Obama sent them off to attack the wrong country? Bet you were as quiet as a church mouse through all that. Also, could you go ahead and give us a link to the "coalition of 'Blacks for Obama'" thing you were talking about? Bet you can't.
I believe you owe "XYZ" an apology:
http://l.barackobama.com/african-americans/
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#24890 Feb 1, 2014
Canton wrote:
Yah, the concept of all this always being is absurd. Just ask God, the Alpha and Omega. Ha ha ha ha! I'm a Deist like the founders of this great nation. Christianity hi-jacked the country for decades and now I get to watch as America shrugs you off like a cheese scented coat. The cool thing about people who actually believe in science is we don't pretend that we have the answers like you do, seeing there is no possible way you know how all this started or what happens after we die.
Lie. Again.

I actually said I have no idea how God or matter came into existence. I said that our world is too complex to have been created by happenstance, and that schools should be allowed to teach both evolution and ID. You, on the other hand, want to completely shut out other people's ideas ... just like a good little fascist.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24891 Feb 1, 2014
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Religion had their philosophers as well. But how were they different than scientists? They had a theory sometimes wrong and sometimes right.
No, in religion you have the received word of God, not a theory. When a scientist's theory is proved to be wrong, the scientist accepts that, and moves on. The church will reject the proof as heresy, and punish you. When the church was in control, those punishments would include torture and death. That's the possibility Galileo faced.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Inquisit...
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
This planet and all the beings on it is just too perfect to happen without somebody or something planning it.
And yet, the most perfect being in your conception is the Creator, but no one planned him.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I would sooner believe that we are an experiment planet created by aliens of a much more advanced life than I am believing in some theory that we were once apes and developed throughout the centuries.
Actually, evolution says that both man and ape have a common ancestor, not that man descended from apes. You can choose not to believe that (despite the evidence of the fossil record and genetic studies), but that puts you at odds with the scientific community. Lucky for you, they don't enforce their beliefs with torture and death.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24892 Feb 1, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie. Again.
I actually said I have no idea how God or matter came into existence. I said that our world is too complex to have been created by happenstance, and that schools should be allowed to teach both evolution and ID.
Schools are allowed to teach the religious version of creation, in both literature and religion classes. But they can't teach it as science, because there is no evidence to support it, and much evidence against it.

Do you feel that churches should be compelled to preach evolution, or does your sense of "fairness" stop there?

"Evolution is also one of the most misunderstood and controversial concepts in the eyes of the general public. This situation is unfortunate, because the controversy surrounding evolution is unnecessary. Resistance to evolution stems in part from misunderstanding science and how it is distinct from religion. Science and religion provide different ways of knowing the Earth and universe. Science proceeds by testing hypotheses and thus is restricted to natural, testable explanations. By definition, science is unable to confirm or deny the existence or work of a Creator; such questions are beyond the realm of science. As a scientific concept, evolution therefore can make no reference to a Creator. Many people of faith, including scientists, find no conflict between evolution and their religion; in fact, many religious denominations have issued statements supporting evolution. Science and religion need not conflict."

http://www.agiweb.org/news/evolution/foreword...
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24893 Feb 1, 2014
"In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points…. Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies — which was neither planned nor sought — constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.”
— Pope John Paul II, Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, October 22, 1996.

http://www.nas.edu/evolution/StatementsReligi...
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#24894 Feb 1, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
I am the poster child for all things American. You however claimed you were going to flee the country if Obama got elected. That makes you both a liar and traitor in one fell swoop. Now let's combine that with the fact that you completely agreed with Timothy McVeigh on just about every topic and you have the real face of domestic terrorists in America. Now about that check list of fascism that your agenda matches to the letter. Also, let's not forget your "Conservative Hero", Vladimir Putin. You truly are a patriot.
you are a loon
Canton

Canton, OH

#24895 Feb 1, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie. Again.
I actually said I have no idea how God or matter came into existence. I said that our world is too complex to have been created by happenstance, and that schools should be allowed to teach both evolution and ID. You, on the other hand, want to completely shut out other people's ideas ... just like a good little fascist.
Nope, just want what the founders of this nation wanted. No religious favoritism in government. It would be fun to see your faces though if the Hindu or Islamic creation stories were taught in your children's science classes. Oh how you guys would cry of the injustice. The real fascist loves religion and politics walking hand and hand. You know, exactly like your fascist agenda. You guys thought you had a monopoly on god and country. You don't. Get over it.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24896 Feb 1, 2014
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a loon
Yet I don't make public death threats on an online forum like you have. Considering you have a zero percent hit rate on anything you claim, your word is worthless to any thinking person. Also, that whole silence of the lambs vibe you put out is nothing short of creepy.
Canton

Canton, OH

#24897 Feb 1, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
Lie. Again.
Keep your weird, middle eastern and now corporate sponsored religion away from the American children.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#24898 Feb 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
Schools are allowed to teach the religious version of creation, in both literature and religion classes. But they can't teach it as science, because there is no evidence to support it, and much evidence against it.
First, Intelligent Design isn't Creationism or a religion. You would do well to educate yourself on this subject.

Secondly, people who believe in God approach science from a different perspective than secular ones. For example, evolution scientists were convinced that "Junk DNA" served no purpose whatsoever. For 25 years they wrote about it in textbooks, and taught it to countless school kids. They were wrong.(Imagine that.) If the scientists had approached the subject from an ID perspective, they would have known that everything has been made for a reason, and eventually the reason will be discovered.
Do you feel that churches should be compelled to preach evolution, or does your sense of "fairness" stop there?
That depends. Does the govt force your children to go to church?
"... Resistance to evolution stems in part from misunderstanding science and how it is distinct from religion.... By definition, science is unable to confirm or deny the existence or work of a Creator; such questions are beyond the realm of science. As a scientific concept, evolution therefore can make no reference to a Creator ..."
Who has defined science? Maybe the problem isn't with science, but with narrow-minded, dogmatic evolutionists who are locked into an ideology that they're trying to force on everyone else. Nature doesn't limit scientific exploration, evidence-gathering, and broad thinking. People do.

According to science's own laws, it's impossible for us to be here. 1st Law of Thermodynamics: Matter & energy can change form, but they cannot increase or decrease. If there was no matter & energy to begin with, there's no matter & energy now. Yet, here we are.

And then there's the 2nd Law: Everything moves toward higher entropy (disorder). It's impossible for nature to accidentally fall into perfect order and produce this infinitely complex world and the universe around us. Yet, here we are.

So, there are two choices: A) The Laws of Thermodynamics are wrong or B) There is an Intelligent Designer who owns the laws.
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#24899 Feb 1, 2014
Canton wrote:
Nope, just want what the founders of this nation wanted. No religious favoritism in government. It would be fun to see your faces though if the Hindu or Islamic creation stories were taught in your children's science classes. Oh how you guys would cry of the injustice. The real fascist loves religion and politics walking hand and hand. You know, exactly like your fascist agenda. You guys thought you had a monopoly on god and country. You don't. Get over it.
Yes, I know how much you respect the founders. That's why you called me a "powdered wigged, silver spoon racist" (post #24266).

I haven't been discussing the teaching of religion in school. Do you have any other melodramatic, straw man arguments you want to throw in the mix?
mutt

Chillicothe, OH

#24900 Feb 1, 2014
Old Guy wrote:
"In his encyclical Humani Generis (1950), my predecessor Pius XII has already affirmed that there is no conflict between evolution and the doctrine of the faith regarding man and his vocation, provided that we do not lose sight of certain fixed points…. Today, more than a half-century after the appearance of that encyclical, some new findings lead us toward the recognition of evolution as more than an hypothesis. In fact it is remarkable that this theory has had progressively greater influence on the spirit of researchers, following a series of discoveries in different scholarly disciplines. The convergence in the results of these independent studies — which was neither planned nor sought — constitutes in itself a significant argument in favor of the theory.”
— Pope John Paul II, Message to the Pontifical Academy of Sciences, October 22, 1996.
http://www.nas.edu/evolution/StatementsReligi...
You and chimpy keep using popes to influence my opinions. You really couldn't pick a group of people less influential, except maybe democrats. I have no use for the catholic religion. They may believe in the same God as I do, and in Christ as his son, but that's basically where the similarities end. I don't pray to Mary and a bunch of saints, and I don't ask a priest for forgiveness as though he's God. That's basically paganism.

I believe the creation story as told in the bible. But I believe the earth is older than that. It was made before the 1st day of creation. It was without form and void, and it was covered with water. I think it's odd that the earth was so chaotic ... seemingly unlike how God created everything else that followed. So, who knows what happened before Adam's race, or what lived here before then. Maybe a flood or Ice Age wiped everything out, and it was left a mess.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24901 Feb 2, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
First, Intelligent Design isn't Creationism or a religion. You would do well to educate yourself on this subject.
How did you educate yourself on this topic? You seem quite sure of yourself, yet I don't think you've had much formal education in science at all. Your views seemed informed by a conservative religious orthodoxy and not science. Why don't you point me to a scientific source that can hopefully explain your point of view better than you?

I'll do the same:

"Intelligent design (ID) is a form of creationism presented by its proponents as a theory that "certain features of the universe and of living things are best explained by an intelligent cause, not an undirected process such as natural selection." It is a version of the theological argument from design for the existence of God presented as "an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins" rather than "a religious-based idea".

The leading proponents of this version of the argument are associated with the Discovery Institute, a politically conservative think tank based in the United States, and believe the designer to be the Christian deity. Their concepts of irreducible complexity and specified complexity propose that certain biological features are too complex to be the result of natural processes, and proponents therefore conclude that these features are evidence of design. The scientific community considers intelligent design a pseudoscience because it lacks empirical support and offers no tenable hypotheses. Detailed scientific examination has rebutted the claims that evolutionary explanations are inadequate, and this premise of intelligent design, that evidence against evolution constitutes evidence for design, has been criticized as a false dichotomy. From the outset, ID proponents have sought to overturn the methodological naturalism inherent in modern science, proposing that it be replaced by "theistic realism" or "theistic science" in which ID presents a broadly theistic understanding of nature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_desi...

Since: Jan 13

Nicholasville, KY

#24902 Feb 2, 2014
So if this was to be taught in schools how would they present it, what would the lesson plans be, educational tools, etc.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

#24903 Feb 2, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe the creation story as told in the bible.
Since you believe the Biblical creation story, maybe you can clear something up for me. When it says in Genesis 1:3: "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light", what was the source of that light? I ask this question because Genesis goes on to say that the Sun and stars weren't created until the 4th day.

"13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

#24904 Feb 2, 2014
mutt wrote:
<quoted text>
You and chimpy keep using popes to influence my opinions. You really couldn't pick a group of people less influential, except maybe democrats. I have no use for the catholic religion. They may believe in the same God as I do, and in Christ as his son, but that's basically where the similarities end. I don't pray to Mary and a bunch of saints, and I don't ask a priest for forgiveness as though he's God. That's basically paganism.
I believe the creation story as told in the bible. But I believe the earth is older than that. It was made before the 1st day of creation. It was without form and void, and it was covered with water. I think it's odd that the earth was so chaotic ... seemingly unlike how God created everything else that followed. So, who knows what happened before Adam's race, or what lived here before then. Maybe a flood or Ice Age wiped everything out, and it was left a mess.
That reminds of a quote that Mark Twain put out there about the bible:

"So you believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards,witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, burning bushes, food falling from the sky, people walking on water and all sorts of magical, absurd and primitive stories, and you say that we are the ones who need help?" Oh yeah, how do you split a sea in half?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#24905 Feb 2, 2014
Canton wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep your weird, middle eastern and now corporate sponsored religion away from the American children.
or what?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What makes GlitterSucks so annoying? (Nov '12) 39 min They cannot kill ... 470
chanukah hanukkah day 2 57 min They cannot kill ... 1
Should Witchcraft or Pagan Shops be 18+ ? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 10
Obscene Bumber Stickers 1 hr They cannot kill ... 8
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 1 hr bumper season 6
Coleman endorses Ginther for mayor 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 1 hr Duke for Mayor 204
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 2 hr Neutral Party 253
Another Epic Obama Accomplishment 5 hr BizzyBee 9
Columbus Dating