First time home building advice

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
FirstTimeHomeBui lder

Saint Albans, WV

#1 May 22, 2014
My partner and I currently live in a small home in the German Village. My parents just loaned us an amount of up to $350,000 to build a home. We have purchased a 1 acre lot in Upper Arlington to build a 1,500 square foot modern concrete home on. I designed the home and the plans have been approved to be priced by a few building/architecture companies. I am currently awaiting information on the pricing estimates from these companies and as I have much impatience about this, I was wondering if anyone who may or may not have experience in these matters could give me there opinion on the roughest pricing estimate of the home that I will describe. I understand that this information will not help you with any specifics as to aid you in your opinion of pricing, but even the least knowledgeable opinion will help. I will now describe the home that will be built and the lot that it will be built on. The lot is almost entirely flat and is backed by a ravine. The front of the lot will be transformed into a sloped hill with a starting height of 8 feet to cover the garage and 500 square foot basement. The first floor of the home will sit on top of the concrete roof of the basement and will have 500 square feet of terraces wrapped around the home. The walkway from the roadside goes up the newly created hillside beside the garage, The home featured one large window on the front side that utilizes all the walls space. The home has 9 foot ceilings throughout. The homes kitchen and living room share one large room with a dining table. The home has two full bathrooms. One bathroom is off the hallway and other in the master suite. The home only has one master bedroom with a walk in closet and bathroom with two vanities.There is one main hallway which an office and laundry room are accessed via. The basement is 500 square feet and feature the the garage and one large room.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 May 22, 2014
FirstTimeHomeBuilder wrote:
My partner and I currently live in a small home in the German Village. My parents just loaned us an amount of up to $350,000 to build a home. We have purchased a 1 acre lot in Upper Arlington to build a 1,500 square foot modern concrete home on. I designed the home and the plans have been approved to be priced by a few building/architecture companies. I am currently awaiting information on the pricing estimates from these companies and as I have much impatience about this, I was wondering if anyone who may or may not have experience in these matters could give me there opinion on the roughest pricing estimate of the home that I will describe. I understand that this information will not help you with any specifics as to aid you in your opinion of pricing, but even the least knowledgeable opinion will help. I will now describe the home that will be built and the lot that it will be built on. The lot is almost entirely flat and is backed by a ravine. The front of the lot will be transformed into a sloped hill with a starting height of 8 feet to cover the garage and 500 square foot basement. The first floor of the home will sit on top of the concrete roof of the basement and will have 500 square feet of terraces wrapped around the home. The walkway from the roadside goes up the newly created hillside beside the garage, The home featured one large window on the front side that utilizes all the walls space. The home has 9 foot ceilings throughout. The homes kitchen and living room share one large room with a dining table. The home has two full bathrooms. One bathroom is off the hallway and other in the master suite. The home only has one master bedroom with a walk in closet and bathroom with two vanities.There is one main hallway which an office and laundry room are accessed via. The basement is 500 square feet and feature the the garage and one large room.
Your parents LENT you the money.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#3 May 22, 2014
Contact Holdfast company out of Dayton area. They sell Nudura ICF products. Ask for a list of current contractors. Also contact Brian Murry I believe his company is still around Marysville.

I have used Nudura products on my homes around the country. Very energy efficient and easy to use , less labor since forms are then your insulation.

As for the site work water and sewer taps ask Brian who he recomends. VLD grading is good they are part of Dalicondra.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#4 May 22, 2014
My partner and I currently live in a small homiie in the German Village. My parents just loaned us an amount of up to $350,000 to build a home. We have purchased a 1 acre lot in Upper Arlington to build a 1,500 square foot modern concrete home on. I designed the home and the plans have been approved to be priced by a few building/architecture companies. I am currently awaiting information on the pricing estimates from these companies and as I have much impatience about this, I was wondering if anyone who may or may not have experience in these matters could give me there opinion on the roughest pricing estimate of the home that I will describe. I understand that this information will not help you with any specifics as to aid you in your opinion of pricing, but even the least knowledgeable opinion will help. I will now describe the home that will be built and the lot that it will be built on. The lot is almost entirely flat and is backed by a ravine. The front of the lot will be transformed into a sloped hill with a starting height of 8 feet to cover the garage and 500 square foot basement. The first floor of the home will sit on top of the concrete roof of the basement and will have 500 square feet of terraces wrapped around the home. The walkway from the roadside goes up the newly created hillside beside the garage, The home featured one large window on the front side that utilizes all the walls space. The home has 9 foot ceilings throughout. The homes kitchen and living room share one large room with a dining table. The home has two full bathrooms. One bathroom is off the hallway and other in the master suite. The home only has one master bedroom with a walk in closet and bathroom with two vanities.There is one main hallway which an office and laundry room are accessed via. The basement is 500 square feet and feature the the garage and one large room.
I hope Asebrook was not.on of the architects you hired. The are worthless including the inspection division which runs on bribes
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#5 May 22, 2014
Fight for $100.00 a square foot, then rack up what you think are extras from there.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#6 May 22, 2014
The WHOLE building is concrete?? Whoever did the precast at akron zoo is a true professional.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#7 May 22, 2014
sidekick wrote:
Fight for $100.00 a square foot, then rack up what you think are extras from there.
Just because you see a square footcof materisl dosent mean it was properly installed.....
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#8 May 22, 2014
Big Johnson wrote:
<quoted text>
Your parents LENT you the money.
Better than being a slave to a bank. I bet you dont own your house or your car. Or your cat.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#9 May 22, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> Just because you see a square footcof materisl dosent mean it was properly installed.....
I assumed he only asked for a rough guide line to feel comparison with. Nothing to do with who he hires.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#10 May 22, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> The WHOLE building is concrete?? Whoever did the precast at akron zoo is a true professional.
Sounds more like he wants a bat cave with a race track wrapped around a bedroom.
FirstTimeHomeBui lder

Saint Albans, WV

#11 May 22, 2014
This photo is very good example of the driveway and garage area and foundation of the home, as well as show an example of the front walkway. Just imagine a solid concrete rectangular box on top of that photo with a small lawn just above the garage that connects to the other terraces that wrap around the home.

The entire home will be made entirely of concrete. This will include the walls, the floors and the roof.
FirstTimeHomeBui lder

Saint Albans, WV

#12 May 22, 2014
FirstTimeHomeBui lder

Saint Albans, WV

#13 May 22, 2014
This design, but with thick polished concrete walls roof and floors.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/nick...
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#14 May 22, 2014
This design, but with thick polished concrete walls roof and floors.
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii144/nick...
You better get more money.
FirstTimeHomeBui lder

Saint Albans, WV

#15 May 22, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
You better get more money.
I was already thinking that, but it will not have that kind of expensive window construction. The will only be a large window in the front and one in the back and a few small square windows on the sides.
Ugh

Charlotte, NC

#16 May 22, 2014
U.G.L.Y.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#17 May 22, 2014
This photo is very good example of the driveway and garage area and foundation of the home, as well as show an example of the front walkway. Just imagine a solid concrete rectangular box on top of that photo with a small lawn just above the garage that connects to the other terraces that wrap around the home.
The entire home will be made entirely of concrete. This will include the walls, the floors and the roof.
You really should enquire on who did the crete contracting at the akron zoo...
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#18 May 23, 2014
d pantz wrote:
<quoted text> You really should enquire on who did the crete contracting at the akron zoo...
Cuttin-Corners Inc.
Where Jose likes it soupy and Pedro prefers it stiff.
They cannot kill a Spook

Detroit, MI

#19 May 23, 2014
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Cuttin-Corners Inc.
Where Jose likes it soupy and Pedro prefers it stiff.
Ha

When the Italian guys I use pour concrete it is stiff. The use truss screeds or a roller screed when ever possible if they have to do it by hand it is still stiff. They have refused many loads for not being to their specs. Rarely do they use plastizer.
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#20 May 23, 2014
They cannot kill a Spook wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha
When the Italian guys I use pour concrete it is stiff. The use truss screeds or a roller screed when ever possible if they have to do it by hand it is still stiff. They have refused many loads for not being to their specs. Rarely do they use plastizer.
Yeah, nothing worse than waiting 4 hrs just to put a finish on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Autopsy, toxicology report on Michael Brown 4 min Rob 147
Where has Rowdy been 42 min Old Neighbor 3
Barack Hussein Obama Hates Black People (Jan '14) 1 hr shane 26
President Ebola 1 hr Neutral Party 701
Any kinky ladies? 1 hr curious 1
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 2 hr tjm 982
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr tjm 3,974
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs