First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#1 Oct 29, 2013
Portion of article:

Why are 47 million Americans on food stamps? Its the recession mostly.

By Brad Plumer, Published: September 23 at 11:37 amE-mail the writer

There's a fairly basic question at the core of the current food-stamp debate in Congress. Why has the program grown so rapidly over the past few years to the point where 47 million Americans, one-sixth of the country, now receive food stamps?

Defenders of the program typically argue that enrollment rose because we had a horrific recession and unemployment hit the stratosphere. The Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) is supposed to kick in to help families hit by economic distress. The program has kept 4.7 million people out of poverty. There's no problem here. And so on.

Some conservatives, meanwhile, have emphasized that a big chunk of the increase is due to policy changes by Washington. In 2008, Congress allowed states to relax their standards for who could join the program.(Jobless adults could stay in the program if they lived in high-unemployment areas, for instance.) Then, as part of the 2009 stimulus bill, Congress temporarily boosted food-stamp benefits the average benefit was $133 per month last year, although that increase expires this November.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#2 Oct 29, 2013
If they are on food stamps, why donate? Free school food programs also. How about WIC?

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#3 Oct 29, 2013
There truly are really poor people who need assistance. Very poor, unable to work,unemployed, etc.

However, it's the ones who work the system,getting food stamps,and any other kind of help,while they walk around with costly jewelry,clothes, acrylic nails two inches long with nail art, hair braided,and cars, even boats, which I witnessed myself.

The problem is there are not enough watchdogs on the job to keep surveillance on this many people.
The system needs revamping and more stringent laws, rules, whatever, to keep this at a low roar.
Anything free attracts....
Unfortunately it's on the taxpayers expense.
=~{
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#4 Oct 29, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
There truly are really poor people who need assistance. Very poor, unable to work,unemployed, etc.
However, it's the ones who work the system,getting food stamps,and any other kind of help,while they walk around with costly jewelry,clothes, acrylic nails two inches long with nail art, hair braided,and cars, even boats, which I witnessed myself.
The problem is there are not enough watchdogs on the job to keep surveillance on this many people.
The system needs revamping and more stringent laws, rules, whatever, to keep this at a low roar.
Anything free attracts....
Unfortunately it's on the taxpayers expense.
=~{
How does one "walk around with a boat"?

I suppose that I have seen that before along the banks of the mighty Cuyahoga, but those have been canoes.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#5 Oct 29, 2013
Zoe Regen wrote:
If they are on food stamps, why donate? Free school food programs also. How about WIC?
Stop fussin bout legal abortion.

woof
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#6 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one "walk around with a boat"?
I suppose that I have seen that before along the banks of the mighty Cuyahoga, but those have been canoes.
woof
How is 47 million get on food-stamps? That's a mystery... F**k your stupid boat question.

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#7 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one "walk around with a boat"?
I suppose that I have seen that before along the banks of the mighty Cuyahoga, but those have been canoes.
woof
You know Duke, you call TM picapaco...well! I am calling you pickadukie!
You know what I meant......pickadukie
Oy vey
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#8 Oct 29, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
You know Duke, you call TM picapaco...well! I am calling you pickadukie!
You know what I meant......pickadukie
Oy vey
Awwww...That's sweet!!!

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#9 Oct 29, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
How is 47 million get on food-stamps? That's a mystery... F**k your stupid boat question.
Its no mystery. The vast majority are poor, and either elderly or under 18, and the economy is not booming like it was in the 1950's.

I love how folks always cry about how much money this country provides to foreign nations, squawking about how it should provide for Americans, then in the same breath...

woof

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#10 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Its no mystery. The vast majority are poor, and either elderly or under 18, and the economy is not booming like it was in the 1950's.
I love how folks always cry about how much money this country provides to foreign nations, squawking about how it should provide for Americans, then in the same breath...
woof
Try stay on topic!

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#11 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Stop fussin bout legal abortion.
woof
Try to stay on topic!

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#12 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Awwww...That's sweet!!!
woof
Lol
We should take care of home first before sending trillions to foreign countries who really don't care about us or who are evil, don't you think, pickadukie?
Monies going out should be scaled down and take care of our programs that are in need. One being education!
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#13 Oct 29, 2013
Zoe Regen wrote:
<quoted text>
Try stay on topic!
I am.

Try to keep up.

woof

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#14 Oct 29, 2013
Zoe Regen wrote:
<quoted text>
Try stay on topic!
Pickadukie is opening up a can of worms......
Duke it out with him Zoe!
PUN

“Bee Hive Jive”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#15 Oct 29, 2013
What's happening here? Double posts........lol
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 29, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
Its no mystery. The vast majority are poor, and either elderly or under 18, and the economy is not booming like it was in the 1950's.
I love how folks always cry about how much money this country provides to foreign nations, squawking about how it should provide for Americans, then in the same breath...
woof
I figured you'd reply with a half a$$ answer. Let me give you a more direct opinion.
When the Government gives the opportunity for "beggars can be choosers", what road seems easier for some to walk their boat down? I believe the corruption, abuse and neglect in the system convinces people they're qualified for assistance due to the lack of guidance they never learned.
However you want to run down the stages to get in this lifestyle is your opinion, No matter how you put it... it's still a mystery.

“Zuzu's Petals”

Since: Sep 10

Bedford Falls

#17 Oct 29, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
What's happening here? Double posts........lol
woof
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#18 Oct 29, 2013
The stats on this thread and from the government are only a few of the reasons why everything is so botched.

First the Stats say the Elderly are at risk but when they want to take something from the elderly or change a program for the elderly they become the WEALTHIEST SEGMENT.

We then go to the hunger issue. The stats for hunger were in large part obtained by asking such questions as, "Are you hungry, Have you ever missed a meal"?

They will say 1 in 6 people in America are hungry. That would mean to look at a classroom of 30, 5 would be hungry. That's in every classroom. One of every 6 people you work with, pass on the street are hungry.

Every year there is a call for FANS in the summer to help the elderly and poor stay cool. Thousands are given. Where did the ones go from the previous year and by now everyone should have one wouldn't you agree.

Coats for kids. I wore the same one for years as a child.

Americans have gotten use to hand outs and will take them gladly even if it degrades them.
Conservative

Springfield, OH

#19 Oct 29, 2013
Does anyone remember the time when you set aside money all year to buy the essentials?

Was or is anyone here poor and how do you cope?

We have very poor in our family and we know why they are in the position they are in. Why would I think strangers are any different.

We have incentivized and created an industry and called it poverty.
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#20 Oct 29, 2013
some folks have food pantries where they can put canned food and extras in and go to it when they need something but most folks go to the food bank that is stocked with food others have brought to the central location.
In summation, pantry stocked by self, bank stocked by others.
slick up them snow shovels!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unaccompanied kids escape Central America to un... 7 min Jesus 7
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 17 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,957
where is George of Hilliard? 25 min RU_Kiddingme 9
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr Hmmmmm 2,423
Dying boy gets wish to join Columbus police 2 hr They cannot kill ... 2
OBAMA Outperforms Reagan 2 hr Colbert 51
Ann Coulter: "White Guilt Has Produced Mistake ... (Sep '12) 3 hr Progressive Ohioan 65
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 8 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 181
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••