Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#41 Jan 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, now, isn't that interesting?
I am guessing that Sheriffs in general are already bound to uphold the Constitution of the United States of America, and of the state in which they serve.
So, this particular vow means what? specifies what? Is this an expansion or a contraction to what they have already sworn to?
Will they no longer uphold the laws of the US and their state? Only uphold those that they individually believe to be Constitutional?
I suppose we can be somewhat reaassured that 86 out of 88 have NOT seen fit to sign onto this garbage.
There are such things as unconstitutional or "unlawful" laws. An officer in the US military is not obligated to follow unlawful orders, including those from the Commander in Chief.
Watch a South Carolina sheriff school one of Obama's media mouthpieces:

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#42 Jan 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Catman--calm down.
Only in NRA Fantasy Land is the government planning to storm in and demand all your weapons.
Even Feinstein's bill grandfathers currently owned weapons (unless sold or transferred), although it does allow local entities to use federal dollars for buy-back programs.
And the ban is limited specifically to military-style assault weapons (as defined in the bill).
Incrementalism. It's how smokers ended up in the position they're in today. It began with a ban on TV advertising 42 years ago. Now people can go to jail over smoking on private property.
This is exactly how it will be done with firearms unless there is resistance. And there is. Massive resistance.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#43 Jan 28, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you boycott all media, where do you get your information?
Online is the only place to get information aside from strictly local issues.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#44 Jan 28, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text> Your immaturity and emotionalism leads you to lash out at the messenger while reinforcing your reputation as an ignorant, low information emotional woman.
How's that for irony?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#45 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Online is the only place to get information aside from strictly local issues.
Because online isn't media?

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#46 Jan 28, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that for irony?
Hardly. I know you're only trying to stick up for your own kind, but deflection doesn't cut it. The troll from Cleveland has as much gravitas as Joy Behar.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#47 Jan 28, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Because online isn't media?
Most of it isn't the mainstream media.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#48 Jan 28, 2013
VADoc wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. I brought this up a few weeks ago to Che when he said the government isn't and never has tried to take our guns away. I brought up the seizing of thousands of guns from law abiding citizens after Katrina. Amazingly the little fella didn't have a response. That's all it will take and l this current administration is waiting for is an opportune time to confiscate under the guise of safety for the people.
When the shooting in Connecticut happened and they said an AR15 was used I immediately shook my head because I knew just one attack by some whack job with a rifle is all the ammo these morons would need to push their banning agenda. Statistics be damned they don't care they just want their ban because they don't like the citizens having weapons that can be used to stop tyranny from the government. Most people got sad on that day in Connecticut. I guarantee Obama, Feinstein, Reid, and several other high ranking anti-gunners were smiling.
Turns my stomach.
Gabby Giffords
Aurora, Colorado (twice in a year)
Wisconsin Temple Shooting
Clackamas Mall Shooting
Chardon High School
Newtown, Connecticut
Lone Star College Campus

Those are just off the top of my head and quite recent. I did not try to separate them out by weapon type. Let's just put it in the category of "harm reduction." A shooter with a military-style assault weapon (however defined in whatever legislation) is capable of inflicting far more damage (by damage I mean injury and death) far more rapidly than with weapons less-specifically designed for mass killing.

Exactly how many mass killings and attempts do you think should go by without response?

And the NRA's simpleminded response that the only way to stop a bad person with a gun is by a good person with a gun assumes that we are able to tell the difference. If we had that kind of capacity we could simply pass good person only gun ownership legislation and let the good people have as many as they wanted of any kind at all.

But, there is a good bit more beyond assault weapons bans that needs to happen. We need better registries of those who are legally prohibited from purchase of guns--due to felony conviction, restraining orders, mental health commitment. And we need to figure out how to do that without the violation of some pretty basic rights to privacy--partiuclarly in the area of mental health.

We also need to put in place the kind of registration data-bases that allow backward tracing of guns used in the commission of crimes in order to identify and shut-down dealers who sell large quantities to straw buyers and the like. And in order to do this we are going to have to quell some of the fires of paranoia that the NRA has been using to stir up hysterical images of black helicopters and jack-booted storm-troopers arriving to disarm the population.

I cannot imagine how many more people--including childre--have to die before we can admit we have a problem.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#49 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Most of it isn't the mainstream media.
Bloggers?

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#50 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Incrementalism. It's how smokers ended up in the position they're in today. It began with a ban on TV advertising 42 years ago. Now people can go to jail over smoking on private property.
This is exactly how it will be done with firearms unless there is resistance. And there is. Massive resistance.
Thats exactly whats going to happen.Give them an inch,and they will take a mile.They have to be stopped now because it will never end.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#51 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Hardly. I know you're only trying to stick up for your own kind, but deflection doesn't cut it. The troll from Cleveland has as much gravitas as Joy Behar.
Not sticking up for anyone. What you took offense to, "Your immaturity and emotionalism leads you to lash out at the messenger," describes you perfectly.

Location hidden

#52 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Incrementalism. It's how smokers ended up in the position they're in today. It began with a ban on TV advertising 42 years ago. Now people can go to jail over smoking on private property.
Smokers are an excellent example.

There have been folks crying for years about their God-given right to pollute their own bodies, and consequently the bodies of anyone in proximity. And despite the claims that the government would have to pry the cigarettes from their cold, dead fingers, and dire predictions of the downfall of the restaurant a bar industries, that stuff pretty much didn't happen.

But there are a lot of kids growing up today without a constant face full of cigarette smoke. Waittresses and other bar and restaurant workers no long have an elevated risk for a list of diseases. Gee, it's really awful stuff, isn't it?

And yes, it did start with the flakes in California and the liberals in New York. But--as a result of their vanguard actions they were able to show a decline in both the rate of tobacco addiction and the various diseases that result. And now I can go into any restaurant or bar in the state of Ohio and know that I won't exit carrying noxious fumes on my clothing.

But as for your "massive resistance," I cannot imagine that looks like. Sneaking weapons into the country and buying them illegally? I just don't see any massive movements. A few extremists, perhaps. But is the value to most people?
Statistics that speak

Springfield, OH

#53 Jan 28, 2013
Reader this is the problem, and it isn't assault weapons!

FBI Uniform Crime Report

The FBI Uniform Crime Report (also available at the FBI site listed above) makes a number of disturbing points: In 1995, Blacks accounted for 13% of the population; Amerinds for 2%, and Mexicans, Whites and all others (the FBI even includes Arabs as Whites) 85%. If the races were equal in their criminal behavior, then it could reasonably be expected that for any given category of crime, 85% of those arrested would be White and 13% of those arrested would be Black.

But that is not what is found in the FBI Uniform Crime Report.

Under the crime of burglary, 30.4% of arrestees are Black and 67.8% are White. The Black burglary rate 30.4 over 13, divided by the White burglary rate of 67.8 over 85, gives a figure of 2.93.

If these arrest records accurately record the commission of burglaries, that means that Blacks commit burglary at almost 3 times the rate of Whites.

Using the same methodology, the figures other crimes can also be broken down:

* Weapons violations are committed by Blacks at nearly 5 times the rate for Whites;
* Blacks are caught receiving or buying stolen property at nearly 5 times the rate for Whites;
* Blacks are involved in prostitution at almost 4 times the rate for Whites;
* Blacks are arrested for drug crimes at over 4 times the rate for Whites;
* Blacks are more than three times as likely as Whites to be caught at forgery, counterfeiting, and fraud, and almost three times as likely to be caught at embezzlement;
* Blacks are more than 3 times as likely to be thieves as Whites;
* Blacks are more than 4 times as likely to commit assault as Whites;
* Blacks are almost 4.5 times as likely to steal a motor vehicle;
* Blacks are more than 5 times as likely to commit forcible rape as Whites;
* Blacks are over 8 times as likely to commit murder as Whites;
* Blacks are more than 10 times as likely to commit robbery as Whites;
* Nearly 25% of all Black males between the ages of 20 and 29 are in jail or on probation - this does not include those wanted or awaiting trial;
* For all violent crimes considered together, Blacks are almost 5.5 times more likely to commit violent criminal acts than Whites; all this according to the FBI Uniform Crime Report.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#54 Jan 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Gabby Giffords
Aurora, Colorado (twice in a year)
Wisconsin Temple Shooting
Clackamas Mall Shooting
Chardon High School
Newtown, Connecticut
Lone Star College Campus
Those are just off the top of my head and quite recent. I did not try to separate them out by weapon type. Let's just put it in the category of "harm reduction." A shooter with a military-style assault weapon (however defined in whatever legislation) is capable of inflicting far more damage (by damage I mean injury and death) far more rapidly than with weapons less-specifically designed for mass killing.
Exactly how many mass killings and attempts do you think should go by without response?
And the NRA's simpleminded response that the only way to stop a bad person with a gun is by a good person with a gun assumes that we are able to tell the difference. If we had that kind of capacity we could simply pass good person only gun ownership legislation and let the good people have as many as they wanted of any kind at all.
But, there is a good bit more beyond assault weapons bans that needs to happen. We need better registries of those who are legally prohibited from purchase of guns--due to felony conviction, restraining orders, mental health commitment. And we need to figure out how to do that without the violation of some pretty basic rights to privacy--partiuclarly in the area of mental health.
We also need to put in place the kind of registration data-bases that allow backward tracing of guns used in the commission of crimes in order to identify and shut-down dealers who sell large quantities to straw buyers and the like. And in order to do this we are going to have to quell some of the fires of paranoia that the NRA has been using to stir up hysterical images of black helicopters and jack-booted storm-troopers arriving to disarm the population.
I cannot imagine how many more people--including childre--have to die before we can admit we have a problem.
Lies right from the start. The "second" Aurora event was a domestic situation that didn't even rise to the level of a defined mass murder and Lone Star was an argument between acquaintances in which NOBODY died.
Peddle your crap somewhere else.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#55 Jan 28, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Bloggers?
Sites like Newsbusters are not blogs.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#56 Jan 28, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Smokers are an excellent example.
There have been folks crying for years about their God-given right to pollute their own bodies, and consequently the bodies of anyone in proximity. And despite the claims that the government would have to pry the cigarettes from their cold, dead fingers, and dire predictions of the downfall of the restaurant a bar industries, that stuff pretty much didn't happen.
But there are a lot of kids growing up today without a constant face full of cigarette smoke. Waittresses and other bar and restaurant workers no long have an elevated risk for a list of diseases. Gee, it's really awful stuff, isn't it?
And yes, it did start with the flakes in California and the liberals in New York. But--as a result of their vanguard actions they were able to show a decline in both the rate of tobacco addiction and the various diseases that result. And now I can go into any restaurant or bar in the state of Ohio and know that I won't exit carrying noxious fumes on my clothing.
But as for your "massive resistance," I cannot imagine that looks like. Sneaking weapons into the country and buying them illegally? I just don't see any massive movements. A few extremists, perhaps. But is the value to most people?
The sheer hypocrisy...you rail about people "polluting their own bodies" with tobacco smoke while championing the assault of abortion and the mutilation of "transgender surgery." And then you revel in the revocation of private property rights.
Here's what the law should be: A sign at must be posted at the entrances to privately owned establishments stating the status of said locales as either smoking or non-smoking. That's it. Period. Don't like it, either way? Don't patronize the place.
That's how America is supposed to work.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#57 Jan 28, 2013
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Not sticking up for anyone. What you took offense to, "Your immaturity and emotionalism leads you to lash out at the messenger," describes you perfectly.
So that's what you call responding with facts...
You're a "lawyer," right?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#58 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>Sites like Newsbusters are not blogs.
You think you get objective facts with no agenda from Newsbusters?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#59 Jan 28, 2013
<quoted text>So that's what you call responding with facts...
You're a "lawyer," right?
What? I'll type it slowly for you. It is ironic for you to accuse someone of reacting emotionally and lashing out at the messenger when that is your modus operandi. If you would like an example, read the post this is in reply to.

Location hidden

#60 Jan 28, 2013
Statistics that speak wrote:
Reader this is the problem, and it isn't assault weapons!
And when it comes to mass shootings, the picture looks a bit different.

Mother Jones has compiled data on the 62 mass shootings in the US since 1982:

"Half of the cases involved school or workplace shootings (12 and 19, respectively); the other 31 cases took place in locations including shopping malls, restaurants, and religious and government buildings. Forty four of the killers were white males. Only one of them was a woman.(See Goleta, Calif., in 2006.) The average age of the killers was 35, though the youngest among them was a mere 11 years old."

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/m...

Now, knowing this doesn't really tell us much that is helpful. And it would be erroneous to suggest that based on this statistic we could conclude that white males of a certain age are more likely than other groups to go on shooting sprees.

Just as it might also be helpful to know that a high percentage of these killers exhibited symptoms of mental illness, it might also be helpful to know some things about the criminal population you are describing--some things like poverty and literacy among them.
However, just as we cannot infer that all mentally ill persons are potential killers, we cannot also infer that all poor or poorly educated persons turn to crime.

In human behavior we tend to be looking at "risk factors." End of the day, poverty and illiteracy are probably more powerful predictors of crime than race by itself. In fact, gender is probably a more powerful predictor than race--not that it gets much consideration.

And one thing we know about guns is that they represent a risk factor that is associated with both violent crime, but also accidental death, domestic homicide and suicide.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cruz 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 33
Trump? 2 hr As I See It 13
Poll Do you believe in the bodily resurrection of Je... 2 hr Reality Speaks 111
John Kasich is still in race - delusional? 2 hr Reality Speaks 16
Bobby Causes Trouble at Kroger (Feb '13) 2 hr Caitlin 384
News Residents on alert with mass shooting suspect a... 5 hr Rose 185
California rejects John Wayne Day due to commen... 6 hr Reality Speaks 160
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages