“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#283 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet we charge people with things like conspiracy to commit and so forth.
And punish them.
But, registering a firearm is not a punishment.
Conspiracy shows intent (so does attempted "whatever"). Merely having the means does not.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#284 Jan 30, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Since we are involved in the lives of our kids, raise them properly, mostly in families with two parents and assume the responsibilities that naturally occur when children are being raised, we generally have very little to fear from your scenario. Yes, it could happen, but it would be an anomaly, rather than a distinct possibility as it is in the 'hood.
You hate us Reader, but you're also tremendously envious of our situation in this respect. Well, the reason our kids are generally safe is because we did the right things, played by the rules and worked hard. Yet you and the rest of the takers, egged on by your leftist masters, hate us for it. Because we're right, and you people are generally failures.
George, you are an incredible snob, are you aware of that?

I remember when people thought that drugs could never reach their safe suburban homes where the parents do everything right. Sorry, not so much.

I will guarantee that your kids have far more in the way of the social coin of the realm transmitted to them--not only from parents, but also from the way that they are treated in schools. But make no mistake, cut off the employment that supports your little nirvana and you will see things change in ways that you could never imagine.

Until such time, keep on believing that you have more because you are just better people.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#285 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember when people thought that drugs could never reach their safe suburban homes where the parents do everything right. Sorry, not so much.
I will guarantee that your kids have far more in the way of the social coin of the realm transmitted to them--not only from parents, but also from the way that they are treated in schools. But make no mistake, cut off the employment that supports your little nirvana and you will see things change in ways that you could never imagine.
Until such time, keep on believing that you have more because you are just better people.
Thinking like this is what destroyed Europe...

Planet Earth

#286 Jan 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
And what caused the people to come here in the first place. Some couldn't hack the responsibility that goes with freedom, so re-invented a little bit of the old homeland here. Unfortunately, it has seeped into government.

Location hidden

#287 Jan 30, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Conspiracy shows intent (so does attempted "whatever"). Merely having the means does not.
But you were arguing that we only punish actual harm.

Say, we don't allow 12 year olds to drive, and generally with good reason. Would you suggest that they are being punished?

I'm certain that there are SOME 12 year olds capable of driving safely.

Location hidden

#288 Jan 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
First off--BS. Many in Europe assume class differences. Here we pretend we don't buy that stuff, and deny their existence by claiming that it's all about hard work and following the rules.

Second--I rather believe that the folks living in Europe don't consider themselves destroyed.

Ivy League-ISIS

#289 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Say, we don't allow 12 year olds to drive, and generally with good reason. Would you suggest that they are being punished?
That is not for the state to decide, it should be the decision of the insurer. If the insurer thinks they can drive, then they should be able to drive at 12.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#290 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
We did, and continue to do, the right things. If that makes us "better," then it is what it is.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#291 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
First off--BS. Many in Europe assume class differences. Here we pretend we don't buy that stuff, and deny their existence by claiming that it's all about hard work and following the rules.
Second--I rather believe that the folks living in Europe don't consider themselves destroyed.
We've been over this so many times before...but you're stuck in your relentless class warfare rhetoric mode. Listen up...it IS about hard work and following the rules:

Brookings [Institution] whittled down a lot of analysis into three simple rules. You can avoid poverty by:

1. Graduating from high school.

2. Waiting to get married until after 21 and do not have children till after being married.

3. Having a full-time job.

If you do all those three things, your chance of falling into poverty is just 2%. Meanwhile, youíll have a 74% chance of being in the middle class.

These rules apply to all races and ethnic groups. Breaking these rules is becoming more commonplace, unfortunately, for all racial groups.

By contrast, young adults who violated all three norms - dropped out, got married before 21 and had children out of wedlock, and didnít have a full-time job - had a 76% chance of winding up in poverty and a 7% chance of winding up in the middle class.

Ron Haskins, co-author of the Brookings study, looked at census information.

He called the results "astounding," noting that itís time to emphasize the role that personal decisions have on staying out of the poorhouse.

As he said on the Brookings website: "The figures on investing and spending demonstrate that government is already doing a lot. A typical child from a poor family enjoys income and housing support for their family, health care, preschool education, public school education, college loans or scholarships, and employment and training programs, to name a few of the prominent government programs."

But personal decisions trump anything the government can do.

"Arguing that bad decisions are understandable when made by a child from a poor, single-parent family living in a bad neighborhood and attending a lousy school is a flimsy excuse that abets the problem.

"Without a relentless emphasis on personal responsibility, the billions of dollars we spend on government programs will continue to produce mediocre results, and opportunity in America will continue to stagnate."

Government has a role in giving people a hand up, but in the final analysis, itís the choices made by individuals that seal their fate.

Personal responsibility is unleashed in a free society. Itís only the right to way to produce wealth, itís the only practical way to do it.

http://jacksonville.com/opinion/editorials/20...

Planet Earth

#292 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
We do. The legislature has determined that planning to kill someone is actually harmful.
"Driving" is not a right. Protecting oneself is.

Ivy League-ISIS

#293 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Tranposition in her state funded job, is not the mean of Europe.

Tell the Greeks and Spaniards how they are not destroyed.
Che Reagan Christ

Lodi, OH

#294 Jan 30, 2013
<quoted text> and you people are generally failures.
What a brilliant statement. No generalizations or anything.

Location hidden

#295 Jan 30, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
That is not for the state to decide, it should be the decision of the insurer. If the insurer thinks they can drive, then they should be able to drive at 12.
Well, wrong. The state does decide. But assuming that you are speaking in utopian terms, why accord the state a role in requiring insurance?
Wait what

Dublin, OH

#296 Jan 30, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
But, there are also those who claim to own weapons on a soon-to-be-banned list who will refuse to give them up--hence choosing criminality.
Further, if registration is required, and "law-abiding gun owners" (AKA the good guys in white hats) refuse registration, then this could also render them criminal gun owners.
Can't help but think that if it were the kids in Hilliard, Dublin, Upper Arlington and the like hiding guns in their lockers or shooting each other on the way home from school, or getting hit by stray bullets that some of these gun-lovers might feel differently about whether or not there is a problem, not to mention what the solution might be.
Your hatred doesn't become you. You can move to the 'burbs, or not - your choice. But you have no right to slam those who made every attempt, sometimes with every last dime they had, to make sure their kids were in a good school system surrounded by (used to be, anyway) manners and good graces and consequences for bad decisions. PARTICULARLY when they themselves were raised in the opposite manner. Capice?
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#297 Jan 31, 2013
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, apparently meth is pretty easy to cook up.
But its still illegal.
I guess if you want to do drugs you can. It has absolutely nothing to do with the point I was making. In case you missed that in all the details, Israel was forbidden to possess guns except a limited amount for a limited purpose. Foreseeing the future, they illegally created more guns, more ammunition, and when they decided to use them, were able to fend off a vastly superior force from 5 different fronts.

If you think that 1950's tech could not be continued by organized criminals like Gangs, you are sadly stupid. And yes, I say stupid because it has already been done on large scale under the nose of the British and US military as well as the UN and the rest of the world. Hell, even today, hobbles in war torn nations are used to mix sugar, powdered charcoal, and pipes salvaged from half blown up buildings to create IEDs and rockets.that are lobbed from Pakistan to Israel. Making it illegal does not make it not happen or magically disappear.
adif understanding

Lancaster, OH

#298 Jan 31, 2013
WiseAmerican wrote:
<quoted text> Sounds like anarchy to me. By your logic the street thugs and organized gangsters would be the strongest and smartest. But for the police and military, squares like you wouldn't make it in a 'natural law' real life day to day experience.
The survival of the fittest, right? You don't really want to live in a society like that, trust me! The ONLY reason white like yourself were able to make it this far is the laws against the arming of freed slaves, and the police and court system that protect you and your community.
So when I hear about you white men crying about some 2nd amendment BS, I know it's bunk, because most of you would've defend urban blacks gun rights if they had felonies or not. You and your ilk are only concerned with your individual rights as white males in the world. None of you would agree with 150 million black men and women having AR-15's and AK-47's, like the BBP, Malcolm X, US Slaves, The BLA, and other groups (American Indians) wanted for self defense.
All of you who cry about your rights being taken is full of it. You have no ideal as a white male, what it means to have rights restricted or not given by a system by design. No one cares to hear your bull.
I've long suspected that intelligence and brain power isn't your strong suit, but what part of not harming others in the sentence you quoted translates into street thugs or organized criminal gangs running the show? What part of not harming others allows someone to enslave another person? Are you claiming that slavery doesn't harm people now or something?

I'm not sure if you simply cannot understand a proper sentence laid out in front of you or if you are deliberately ignoring parts of it in order to troll and spew your race bait. It is definitely interesting how complicated of a time you are having with such a clear and concise statement. I'm just wondering if you have a fat lip from your knee jerking so hard?????

Location hidden

#299 Feb 1, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
Your hatred doesn't become you. You can move to the 'burbs, or not - your choice. But you have no right to slam those who made every attempt, sometimes with every last dime they had, to make sure their kids were in a good school system surrounded by (used to be, anyway) manners and good graces and consequences for bad decisions. PARTICULARLY when they themselves were raised in the opposite manner. Capice?
Ma'am, I respectfully suggest that your own biases are showing.

Location hidden

#300 Feb 1, 2013
<quoted text>We did, and continue to do, the right things. If that makes us "better," then it is what it is.
Your assumption that you did the right things and others with fewer advantages did the wrong things makes you not better, but rather biased and ignorant.
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#301 Feb 1, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No the THRIVING of the fittest. Those who are not the fittest are entitled to the survival they can eke out by their own devices, or ask for help from those willing and able to give it.
<quoted text>
Assumes facts not in evidence.
<quoted text>
So you're saying that the mentality of blacks, had they the means, would be to harm other races were the police and court systems weren't around? Interesting... I guess that means we're right to want to keep our arms, doesn't it?
<quoted text>
There you go again...
<quoted text>
NO I wouldn't.
<quoted text>
Nope, concerned with my rights as a human being who has never harmed another.
<quoted text>
If they are not under disability (are not adjudged mentally ill or were not convicted of a violent crime), I would have absolutely no problem with them bearing arms. I support this man's rights, for example: http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/17/obama....
<quoted text>
You are free to choose not to read it.
You have no problem with the right to bear...as long as they were not convicted of a violent crime? Where's that stated in the Constitution...the right to bear arms, unless?? You are not such a strict constitutionalist as you claim! I have a friend who owns a bunch of day care centers, who has a felony when he was 18. He's in his mid 40's and cannot own, carry, or touch a gun. The courts still refuse to expunge!! His rights are being violated. He carries lots of cash to the bank. The real victims of gun laws are against people like him!! Not you whinny cowards who won't stand for solid 2nd amendment rights.
Mentally I'll is understandable, but not some felony that happened as a kid, to be denied for life. That's bullshit!
WiseAmerican

Columbus, OH

#302 Feb 1, 2013
Wait what wrote:
<quoted text>
She doesn't like you self-righteous snobs who look down your long noses at others who are less fortunate monetarily as you, is what I think she means.
All we read is some slam on poor blacks or some stat of black youth crime from you people, and it stems from your collective hate of Obama. You think he's giving your tax money to unemployed blacks...wrong. He gave it to WallStreet banksters, so why is there no slams about the Lexus driving, loafer wearing, Gucci watch wearing white guys on WallStreet that stole your retirement funds??
Noooo, you'd rather go for the low hanging fruit. The hand-to-mouth crowd. Such phonys.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Unaccompanied kids escape Central America to un... 38 min They cannot kill ... 3
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 45 min Dear God 2,416
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr woo-boy 30,953
Dying boy gets wish to join Columbus police 2 hr Zoe Regen 1
Two fish were swimming upstream.... 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 181
ISIS recruiting women from America 2 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 25
OBAMA Outperforms Reagan 3 hr Free Pizza 4 U 50
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••