New 'snus' taking on smoking ban

New 'snus' taking on smoking ban

There are 70 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Mar 17, 2008, titled New 'snus' taking on smoking ban. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

It might have a funny-sounding name, but snus is no laughing matter to activists who led the 2006 campaign to ban smoking from public places across Ohio.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Clyde

Elyria, OH

#23 Jul 20, 2009
Sir PreachingtheGospel wrote:
<quoted text>Your going to die of something ! Be it eating , driving a car, drinking, you pick your posion. Your not getting out alive.!!!
Correct you are. I knew a guy who tried to quit smoking by chewing on toothpicks. He got the "Dutch Elm" disease and died.
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#24 Jul 20, 2009
1 Cold Turkey wrote:
Why bother with cutting down? You want to stay in nicotine withdrawal for much much longer than you really need, then by all means cut down or use other nicotine replacement therapies.
I'm quit cold turkey and still in my first two weeks. it's hellish, but I am winning and my nicotine addiction is losing. I just want it badly enough, to NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.
That snus stuff sounds repulsive, alls i got to say to the manufacturers is "Bad!"
1 of every 2 smokers will die from smoking. Any smokers reading this ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF.
Good Luck!
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#25 Jul 20, 2009
Your going to die of something ! Be it eating , driving a car, drinking, you pick your posion. Your not getting out alive.!!!
Hit the nail on the head there. YOU PICK A POISON! An actual, literal poison. You are a fool to compare cigarettes to food.
olesparky

South Charleston, OH

#26 Jul 20, 2009
<quoted text>Your going to die of something ! Be it eating , driving a car, drinking, you pick your posion. Your not getting out alive.!!!
Last time I checked, most people died of SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!

“Veritas Vincit. Pro Libertate”

Since: Jun 08

peoples republic of Madison

#27 Jul 20, 2009
Clyde wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct you are. I knew a guy who tried to quit smoking by chewing on toothpicks. He got the "Dutch Elm" disease and died.
Sounds like an old Euell Gibbons myth who supposedly died from eating the rotten crotch of a virgin pine!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_Gibbons
Sam

Seattle, WA

#28 Jul 20, 2009
What about the fact that motor vehicle pollution can cause Asthma?

Why blame cigarette smokers for everything?

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html/pdf2html....

Click on the above link; and read this excerpt:

Motor Vehicle Air Pollution and Asthma

An extensive body of scientific studies spanning at least three decades has documented the link
between air pollution and negative health impacts on people with asthma, including asthma
attacks. The pollutants most clearly identified as associated worsening the health of people with
asthma and with asthma attacks are sulfur dioxide, ozone and particulate matter

More recently, a small but growing body of scientific evidence suggests that air pollution may
play a role in the development of asthma
and impairs long-term lung development
, with a
primary focus on motor vehicle-related air pollution.

Motor vehicles are a significant source of the volatile organic hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides
that combine in the presence of heat and sunlight to form ground-level ozone, contributing
approximately 25 and 33 percent respectively of the nation's total in 2000. In addition, while
direct motor vehicles emissions are a relatively small contributor to the nation's overall emissions
of particulate matter (PM
and
PM
), heavy-duty trucks and buses and off-road construction
equipment are a significant source of exposure to particulate matter in urban areas. When
particulate matter from paved and unpaved roads are included with direct motor vehicle
emissions, the combined direct and indirect contribution of motor vehicles amounted to 49 and 55
percent of national PM
and PM
emissions, respectively, in 2000
Sam

Seattle, WA

#29 Jul 20, 2009
THE EVIDENCE ARCHIVE
Welcome to FORCES' Evidence section. Here you'll find a collection of material -- with particular emphasis on scientific evidence -- that explodes many of the most cherished claims of the antismoker industry.

These claims have been advanced to gather public support for smoking bans, high taxes, employment discrimination, and even the advocacy of legal action against neighbours who smoke in their own apartments!
Passive smoking

STUDIES, AND HUGE BIBLIOGRAPHY ON SECONDHAND SMOKE
THE PASSIVE SMOKE WHOPPER

INDOOR AIR QUALITY: BETTER WITH SMOKING AND VENTILATION

----------

DIMENSIONAL ERRORS OF METAPHORICAL MEASUREMENTS. CAN THEY BE RESOLVED?

October 31, 2006 - In this letter to the Editor just published by the International Journal of Epidemiology, Gio Gori, a distinguished epidemiologists, questions once again the validity of multifactorial, questionnaire-based, self-reported epidemiology as a scientific tool and as a base for any kind of honest public policy. The problem of this kind of epidemiology is always the same: the researchers do not know what they have measured. Reducing self-reported, personal memories of exposure to numbers is the great cheat, for numbers can indeed be processed, but what do they mean? What do they represent, in the end? The quantification of vague memories? And how much can memories be affected by on-going propagandas and cultural fear mongering - such as the frauds against smoking, for example? Already for this simple reason alone any and all studies based on this kind of trash methodology must be discarded - regardless of their results and/or of the issues they are dealing with. It just so happen that the overwhelming majority of "studies" on eating, drinking, smoking and other lifestyles belongs to this kind. It follows therefore that all the "epidemics" concerning lifestyle are either an intentional fraud by the health authorities or they are based on such unreliable data to make them a fraud for all intents and purposes. And THIS is the institutional dishonesty and incompetence we are facing today with "public health" and its propaganda tool, the media.
... AND THEY CALL THIS "SCIENCE"!

Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#30 Jul 20, 2009
All excellent reasons not to open a bar in the middle of the highway.
Sam

Seattle, WA

#31 Jul 20, 2009
To review the entire above website, just cliock on this link:
Sam

Seattle, WA

#32 Jul 20, 2009
Sorry for the typo:

cliock = click
Sam

Seattle, WA

#33 Jul 20, 2009
http://www.forces.org/evidence/

Sorry here's the link!
Sam

Seattle, WA

#34 Jul 20, 2009
Forces International
Back to The evidence
CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL BIBLIOGRAPHY OF CONTINUING STUDIES ON SMOKING AND HEALTH

Back to main page

Selected Studies

Compiled and Edited by Wanda Hamilton
The following selected studies are all listed in the CDC's bibliography on smoking and health for l984-85, with later studies appended. All abstracts quoted were written and submitted by the principal investigators of the studies. For many of the studies, the CDC bibliography listed the source of funding. Those listed as funded by the tobacco industry have been deliberately omitted from the compilation below.

The numbers appearing at the top left of each citation are the index numbers assigned by the Centers for Disease Control. For the sake of economy, I have not reproduced the entire abstract of each study, but have included only a summary of salient information and direct quotations from the original abstract. For ease of reference, I have categorized the studies under various headings such as "Smoking and Lung Cancer," "Smoking and Nicotine: Benefits," etc. A few studies appear under more than one heading.

Smoking and Lung Cancer | Smoking and Heart Disease | ETS and Heart Disease | Smoking and "Throat" Cancer | Smoking and Renal [Kidney] Cancer | ETS and Bladder Cancer | Smoking and Endometrial, Ovarian and Breast Cancer | Smoking and Cervical Cancer | Smoking and Pregnancy | Parental Smoking, ETS and Children | Nicotine and Smoking: Benefits
APPENDIX | ADDITIONAL BIBLIOGRAPHY

SMOKERS HAVE REDUCED RISKS OF ALZHEIMER'S AND PARKINSON'S DISEASE

For the full report, just click on this link:

http://www.forces.org/evidence/files/liars.ht...

Read for yourself and make up your own mind.

I think the American Public deserves to know both sides of the story!
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#35 Jul 20, 2009
Sam wrote:
Read for yourself and make up your own mind.
I think the American Public deserves to know both sides of the story!
We made up our mind in 2005. Smoking banned. Where have you been?

#36 Jul 20, 2009
Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>
We made up our mind in 2005. Smoking banned. Where have you been?
Who is we. A well paid band of activist?
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#37 Jul 20, 2009
Free_America wrote:
Who is we. A well paid band of activist?
Citizens. Who Vote.
Not the big bad government. Not the pharmaceutical mafia.
Not any of your other Drama Queen paranoid delusional fantasies.
Just your fellow Citizens. Citizens who are tired of your stink.

Ain't America Great?
1 Cold Turkey

United States

#38 Jul 20, 2009
Right on, everybody goes about smoking cessation a different way, and having choices are important.
However I think tobacco companies have designed cigarettes to eliminate individual choice as in I got no choice but to go and buy the next pack, and the next, and the next.
Basically you're just living to feed an addiction, and the "we'll all die somehow" and "but I like smoking" ideas, I've used those too, but what it really boils down to is a string of justifications for addiction. It's junky thinking. And yeah I think it's silly when people curl up their noses at a smoker as though I was the sole source of pollution in the galaxy. But cigarette smoke is toxic. This dip stuff is toxic too (oral cancer and heart disease), and the nicotine replacement therapy also contains toxic nicotine (and 7% successful quit rate), and the pills mess with your head.
Great cold turkey website whyquit.com has all kinds of resources and tips. NEVER TAKE ANOTHER PUFF
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#39 Jul 20, 2009
Congratulations on you efforts and your honesty.

However..... If someone walked into a restaurant with a 15' radius of horrible body odor around them or had pissed themselves, it may not be the sole smell in the galaxy, but curling up your nose to it is far from silly. Stink is stink.

That's the thing that the Drama Queens can't comprehend. They would lose their shit if 15 people who had pissed themselves rolled into the bar and sat all around them. The only difference is that people that piss themselves don't make the people around them sick.

#40 Jul 20, 2009
Frisbee wrote:
<quoted text>
Citizens. Who Vote.
Not the big bad government. Not the pharmaceutical mafia.
Not any of your other Drama Queen paranoid delusional fantasies.
Just your fellow Citizens. Citizens who are tired of your stink.
Ain't America Great?
So you get to vote away property rights???? what happened to the Constitution, did you guys use that to smoke your dubie because obviously you are high!
Frisbee

Seattle, WA

#41 Jul 20, 2009
Free_America wrote:
So you get to vote away property rights????
And back to square one where you claim that owning property exempts you from obeying the law of the land. Been shot down so many times, and yet you're still too stupid to grasp. Sad really. The very fact that the laws exist closes the case on whether or not they are legal. They are. Cry and whine till the end of time. Boo Hoo.

#42 Jul 20, 2009
Frisbee wrote:
Congratulations on you efforts and your honesty.
However..... If someone walked into a restaurant with a 15' radius of horrible body odor around them or had pissed themselves, it may not be the sole smell in the galaxy, but curling up your nose to it is far from silly. Stink is stink.
That's the thing that the Drama Queens can't comprehend. They would lose their shit if 15 people who had pissed themselves rolled into the bar and sat all around them. The only difference is that people that piss themselves don't make the people around them sick.
Talk about drama queens you sure take it to an extreme, perhaps if you took acting lessons you would be more believable. And since this article is about snus is pretty much proof positive that it was about control and not SHS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tecumseh the prophet 3 hr Ricardo montobomb 1
wow. 50% of Marriages Fail in US 4 hr ImPeach 72
Finally, Donald Trump Ousted from KKKloset 4 hr Mojo Risen 60
Trump Will Win Again in 2020 5 hr Mojo Risen 64
Why Ask about Obama? America has Only One Presi... 5 hr Reality Speaks 115
Is Trump sending DeVos' Brother's Private Milit... 5 hr Reality Speaks 4
Republican Politicians have Courted Rascism FOR... 5 hr Reality Speaks 83

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance