Scandal forces appraisal of gay issue...

Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 88 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 1, 2010, titled Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Bishop Eddie Long of Atlanta told New Birth Missionary Baptist Church congregants on Sunday that he would fight allegations of sexual relationships by four young men.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

reality

United States

#28 Oct 1, 2010
This dude is not a public servant. No one is force to support or participate in his church. He is a master con-artist hidden behind the church pulpet as many bishops, pastors are. It is sad these young man were abused in this manner. I hope justice here on earth will serve them well but, that is not what this impostor bshop should be fearing - my God, who IS the great "I AM" shell deal with him in a way that will be of great punishment and will bring glory to God alone.
kms

Savannah, GA

#29 Oct 1, 2010
false doctrine and propserity pimping, greeed under this joke pastor "sinful lifestyles list', HOW ABOUT WAR, cheating on taxes, wives.?

Since: Jul 10

Reynoldsburg, OH

#30 Oct 1, 2010
Another reason never to trust a Christan.
thetruth

Mount Hope, OH

#31 Oct 1, 2010
The Truth Will come out in due time about Bishop Long. However, we will truly never know what exactly happened.
BuckeyeRon

Hilliard, OH

#32 Oct 1, 2010
thetruth wrote:
The Truth Will come out in due time about Bishop Long. However, we will truly never know what exactly happened.
I have read some nonsensical statements on these forums, but this one takes the cake. The truth will come out -- but we will never know what happened? Pure gibberish!
The Truth

United States

#33 Oct 1, 2010
"You're hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You love sitting at the head table at church dinners, love preening yourselves in the radiance of public flattery. Frauds! You're just like unmarked graves: People walk over that nice, grassy surface, never suspecting the rot and corruption that is six feet under." -- Luke 11:43-44

One of the religion scholars spoke up: "Teacher, do you realize that in saying these things you're insulting us?" Luke 11:45

He said, "Yes, and I can be even more explicit. You're hopeless, you religion scholars! You load people down with rules and regulations, nearly breaking their backs, but never lift even a finger to help.-- Luke 11:46

"You're hopeless, you religion scholars! You took the key of knowledge, but instead of unlocking doors, you locked them. You won't go in yourself, and won't let anyone else in either." -- Luke 11:52

As soon as Jesus left the table, the religion scholars and Pharisees went into a rage. They went over and over everything he said, plotting how they could trap him in something from his own mouth.-- Luke 11:53-54

The above passages are taken word for word from "The Message" version of the Bible.

Some of you may not like it, but these passages give credence to the allegations made by "dhampton100."
dhampton100 wrote:
As a 23 year old I got saved in Columbus Ohio at a Church called Pool of Bethesda under a pastor named Joseph White, he also calls himself Bishop now. After about 2 years, I got married and was living a “good Christian life” he tried to exact same crap, telling me he was in love with me and if we participated in sexual activities it would not be considered sin. I was much older than these kids were when this approach happened and I responded in a different way. I bought a pistol and the next time he came by my house with that crap I placed it in his mouth and promised him I would blow his brains out if he ever came near me again. Needless to say I was quite convincing. I never saw him again. I believe these young men because they quote the exact same experience I had. These dogs, calling themselves Men of God make a person ten times more of a sinner after being in their company. They turn young men searching for understanding against God and cause them to be eternally lost. It took me almost 10 years until I stopped blaming God for what this pervert tried to do. I finally learned that just saying you are a “Man of God” does not make it so. These men are not men of God these men are perverts!
thetruth

Mount Hope, OH

#34 Oct 1, 2010
I mean surely 2 people can tell their side of the story, but only those 2 really know what went down unless someone else witnessed it. I am not taking up for Bishop Long in anyways, but we wont know the whole truth with specific details. Only God sees and knows all.. So again I say we have to wait and see.
BuckeyeRon wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read some nonsensical statements on these forums, but this one takes the cake. The truth will come out -- but we will never know what happened? Pure gibberish!
gokeefe

Columbus, OH

#35 Oct 1, 2010
BuckeyeRon wrote:
<quoted text>
oxymoron LOL
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#36 Oct 1, 2010
thetruth wrote:
Now, Daryl Hampton. We all know the truth behind your so called experience. A low life strung out on drugs, alcohol, and perverted. You were also incarcerated numerous times. You were bailed out by the church and the person you're slandering. You were homeless and who took you in? The church. WHAT WERE YOU IN JAIL FOR?? How did you marriage work out? You were struggling with oral sex on your own account. Have we forgotten? I am ceratin that your years in prison didnt take your memory. Or did you have a name change to Darlene because of your many wanted and invited sexual encounters while in jail. Be careful putting your tounge on the anoninted. Isnt your life in shambles enough?? <quoted text>
there is no such thing as anointed, any one considering themselves that is delusional but then that's what religion is all about delusion and scam.
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#37 Oct 1, 2010
The Truth wrote:
"You're hopeless, you Pharisees! Frauds! You love sitting at the head table at church dinners, love preening yourselves in the radiance of public flattery. Frauds! You're just like unmarked graves: People walk over that nice, grassy surface, never suspecting the rot and corruption that is six feet under." -- Luke 11:43-44
One of the religion scholars spoke up: "Teacher, do you realize that in saying these things you're insulting us?" Luke 11:45
He said, "Yes, and I can be even more explicit. You're hopeless, you religion scholars! You load people down with rules and regulations, nearly breaking their backs, but never lift even a finger to help.-- Luke 11:46
"You're hopeless, you religion scholars! You took the key of knowledge, but instead of unlocking doors, you locked them. You won't go in yourself, and won't let anyone else in either." -- Luke 11:52
As soon as Jesus left the table, the religion scholars and Pharisees went into a rage. They went over and over everything he said, plotting how they could trap him in something from his own mouth.-- Luke 11:53-54
The above passages are taken word for word from "The Message" version of the Bible.
Some of you may not like it, but these passages give credence to the allegations made by "dhampton100."
<quoted text>
words written by men nonsense to the nth degree
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#38 Oct 1, 2010
thetruth wrote:
I mean surely 2 people can tell their side of the story, but only those 2 really know what went down unless someone else witnessed it. I am not taking up for Bishop Long in anyways, but we wont know the whole truth with specific details. Only God sees and knows all.. So again I say we have to wait and see.
<quoted text>
there is no god, man made god in his image when will you flakey brain dead xtians get that.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#39 Oct 1, 2010
thetruth wrote:
Be careful putting your tounge on the anoninted. Isnt your life in shambles enough?? <quoted text>
As I understand it, putting his tongue on the annointed is exactly what he was trying to avoid.
thetruth

Mount Hope, OH

#40 Oct 1, 2010
Oh he did on an inmate..
Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
As I understand it, putting his tongue on the annointed is exactly what he was trying to avoid.
WeighingTheFacts

Columbus, OH

#41 Oct 1, 2010
I was trying to wait and give the Bishop the benefit of the doubt. Now that I heard him speak last sunday, it's clear that he is guilty. Never once said "I DID NOT DO THIS" or anything close to that statement. Only said "I AM NOT PERFECT!" Admission of guilt possibly? Just come out and say your innocent if you didnt do these things. But I just want to know what his wife and kids are thinking. They have to know he is guilty. And sad he has got those church members so mesmerized that they will not believe anything else but he's innocent! Sheeesh!!
Mister Perfect

Mount Hope, OH

#42 Oct 1, 2010
Is this Daryl "Darlene" Hampton? What's up man! I haven't seen nor heard from you in years! How's the family doing? Hey, I see you're still up to your old ways huh? You should consider yourself Daryl. Don't pass judgement on others, knowing all of the immoral things you've done down through the years. Have your kids (David & Chloe) forgiven you for all of the sex acts you performed on them? Does your wife Karen even know about that stuff? Are you still "cross-dressing"? Well I'm glad to to see that you FINALLY got out of prison. I thought you'd NEVER get out man! Hey, are you still preaching? I hope that you aren't still doing drugs, because that stuff is one of the many things that caused your life to in up in a gutter. Well, I hope that you're still not into the homosexual life-style, because God would not be pleased with such a life.
dhampton100 wrote:
As a 23 year old I got saved in Columbus Ohio at a Church called Pool of Bethesda under a pastor named Joseph White, he also calls himself Bishop now. After about 2 years, I got married and was living a “good Christian life” he tried to exact same crap, telling me he was in love with me and if we participated in sexual activities it would not be considered sin. I was much older than these kids were when this approach happened and I responded in a different way. I bought a pistol and the next time he came by my house with that crap I placed it in his mouth and promised him I would blow his brains out if he ever came near me again. Needless to say I was quite convincing. I never saw him again. I believe these young men because they quote the exact same experience I had. These dogs, calling themselves Men of God make a person ten times more of a sinner after being in their company. They turn young men searching for understanding against God and cause them to be eternally lost. It took me almost 10 years until I stopped blaming God for what this pervert tried to do. I finally learned that just saying you are a “Man of God” does not make it so. These men are not men of God these men are perverts!
Chloe

Mount Hope, OH

#43 Oct 1, 2010
I don't know who you are or where you come from, but I don't appreciate you saying negative things about my father! God is a forgiving God, and He has mercy on us all. I don't know why you call yourself Mister Perfect, because NO ONE is perfect in God's eyes! The things my father has done to me and my brother are in the past, and I'm sure that my father is forgiven of those things. Who are YOU to judge my father for being a homosexual? His sexual preference is his business and NOT yours! And for your information, my father is NO LONGER on drugs!! He has been clean for several years. My father hasn't, isn't, and never will be perfect, but then again, NEITHER ARE YOU!!!
dhampton100 wrote:
Your mom

Columbus, OH

#44 Oct 1, 2010
Anyone stupid enough to believe the religious drivel of these preachers deserves what they get.

The biggest cause of social unrest by far is organized religion of any kind.
Truth and Reason

Freeport, NY

#45 Oct 1, 2010
Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of God's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there 'degrees' of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus, Dept. Of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education University of Virginia

(It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian :)
debra

Eureka, CA

#46 Oct 1, 2010
I beleive Bishop Long and I beleive Touch not my anointed and do my profit no harm, with your mouth, your hands etc. The media Loves to rape people with words and destroy their lives. Unfortunetly destroying people sales and it's all about money. Bishop Long be encouraged, no you are not a perfect man, we are all sinners saved by grace sin is sin and this is satins was of trying to break down the strongest hold on God which is the Black Churches and bring Homosexuality into the house of God. I agree with Rev. Victor 100% It is not about homofobia it is about sin. God all seeing all knowing is the only one who knows the truth and God will take care of God's man good or bad. There is their side of the stroy and their is his side of the story and some where in the middle is the truth.
Jeff

Springboro, OH

#47 Oct 1, 2010
Stacey wrote:
It would be such a transitional story if we allow all those men and women in this world who previously lived a homosexual life, for however long they lived it, or tried gay sex, tell us why they left that lifestyle and accepted their own man or womanhood. Where is this story? Where are these people?
Stacey, it's because they don't exist. Study after study has shown that reversion therapy doesn't work. The APA actually says it does damage to clients.

Ted Haggard and Eddie Long are walking proof that orientation is immutable. They had everything to lose, and could not change themselves. If they can't, why would you think that anyone else could?

And for the record, gay men retain their manhood. Men are not made by where they put their penis. It's the quality of a man's character that makes a man. Eddie Long does not have his.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Betty White dead at 94 5 min Duke for Mayor 8
Republican Criminals in Suits 5 min every troll here ... 6
Smithsonian African American Museum opens in Wa... 7 min Duke for Mayor 5
Why is Trump still in this race? 42 min Duke for Mayor 24
Trump's Wall 1 hr MrakJ- 714
Who is Mimzy? 2 hr BizzyBee 10
Seriouslady's Sexual Orientation? Gender? 2 hr BizzyBee 4
How wild is Seriouslady in the sack? 2 hr stanky coochie 47

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web