Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Bishop Eddie Long of Atlanta told New Birth Missionary Baptist Church congregants on Sunday that he would fight allegations of sexual relationships by four young men.
Comments
1 - 20 of 88 Comments Last updated Saturday Jul 19
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dion

Sumter, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

I agree with Rev. Davis. Why single out homosexuality and not deal with all of sexual immorality?
Philip Pearl

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

It is becoming obvious that the more a religious or political leader vocally opposes gays, it is directly proportioned to how much gay sex they have already had.

Why people support these hypocrites is beyond me. I have no problem with a preacher who engages in any safe, sane, consentual, and adult sexual activities. The sheep that support him are easily misled and will find another shallow icon to support. Shame on his supporters.
Damien Welsh

London, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

6

4

3

As is paedophilia same sex relationship is a sickness that we should endeavour to eradicate.
Bishop

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Men and women should be welcomed into the church, and the gospel presented to them in love.
Homosexuality is sin, and gays should not be given positions of leadership, pure and simple.
Why?

You will have many more Bishop Longs.

That is why.
Stacey

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

5

4

4

It would be such a transitional story if we allow all those men and women in this world who previously lived a homosexual life, for however long they lived it, or tried gay sex, tell us why they left that lifestyle and accepted their own man or womanhood. Where is this story? Where are these people?

It is so pathetic for the media, social activists, and pastors to make the conclusion for us that once you go gay or try it that you are categorically classified as a homosexual. I disagree with that notion wholeheartedly. There are so many people that left that lifestyle and have made the decision never to return to it just like any other negative human condition (sin).

We are constantly making exceptions for gays, advocating for them, speaking up for them, and passing legislation for them but totally ignoring those folk that said they've been there, done it, tried it, but left it.

The last thing I want to say is there is this belief now that those people that harp against homosexuality the loudest secretly harbor gay tendencies. That is a total farce! Just because Bishop Long and some of the other world renown preachers got caught doesn't mean anything about someone's stance against homosexuality. For all Christians that believe the Bible, Bishop Long's message is biblically based. There is nothing wrong with his message. You may decide to dislike him but before these allegations came out you believed his message, so don't stop believing it now.

We need people that are gay to have a conversation with those people that were once gay. That's the only conversation we need to have.
MSTONE

Middleport, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

8

5

1

Damien Welsh wrote:
As is paedophilia same sex relationship is a sickness that we should endeavour to eradicate.
So is soccer.
Dusty

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Oct 1, 2010
 
<Gasp>!!! A hypocritical minister??? Unheard of!!!
Dusty

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Oct 1, 2010
 
MSTONE wrote:
<quoted text>
So is soccer.
Thank you MSTONE!!!
Mary

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

1

This story is not really a gay issue as much as it is an abuse of power issue.
Gia

Groveport, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

dhampton100 wrote:
I believe these young men because they quote the exact same experience I had.
Okay - this statement defies logic. This is like stating that because you were incorrectly accused of doing X, everyone who is accused of doing X is innocent. We have no way of knowing if the stories are true or not - There are only 5 people who know, and my guess is 4 of them have something to gain financially - so unless there is some type of concrete evidence - I for one am not buying it (and for the record I am an agnostic/atheist depending on how ticked off I am on a given day at the world). We really do not know if the 4 of them came out independently or if they tell identical/similar stories or not. One thing I have found in the past is the more people that tell the same story - the more likely it is to be false/rehearsed/embellished.
buckmont

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

It's interesting to me that the article in the local dispatch quotes comments from only one Pastor and/or religious scholar in the city. These are sweeping generalizations of The Black Church which is not a monolithic institution. Would encourage in the future if running a local story more breadth and depth in the research to yield a more comprehsensive story. There are kernels of truth, but certainly a greater diversity of voices is needed.
25yroldmale

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Stacey wrote:
It would be such a transitional story if we allow all those men and women in this world who previously lived a homosexual life, for however long they lived it, or tried gay sex, tell us why they left that lifestyle and accepted their own man or womanhood. Where is this story? Where are these people?
It is so pathetic for the media, social activists, and pastors to make the conclusion for us that once you go gay or try it that you are categorically classified as a homosexual. I disagree with that notion wholeheartedly. There are so many people that left that lifestyle and have made the decision never to return to it just like any other negative human condition (sin).
We are constantly making exceptions for gays, advocating for them, speaking up for them, and passing legislation for them but totally ignoring those folk that said they've been there, done it, tried it, but left it.
The last thing I want to say is there is this belief now that those people that harp against homosexuality the loudest secretly harbor gay tendencies. That is a total farce! Just because Bishop Long and some of the other world renown preachers got caught doesn't mean anything about someone's stance against homosexuality. For all Christians that believe the Bible, Bishop Long's message is biblically based. There is nothing wrong with his message. You may decide to dislike him but before these allegations came out you believed his message, so don't stop believing it now.
We need people that are gay to have a conversation with those people that were once gay. That's the only conversation we need to have.
Sorry Stacie your wrong people do not go Gay or they are Gay and go straight.

This has been proven time and time again. Their are Gay people who pretend to be straight and look at the outcome of that.

People are advocating that people like you need to stop running your ugly mouths and mind your own business.

If God is against Gay people, then let God deal with it, when the time comes.

Since you are no God or even a Demi-God......Keep your pie-hole closed
Reader

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

This is a good article.

In addition to open conversations about sexuality and how to respond to it, we (churches) need to also be cognizant of all the environmental forces that feed a situation like that of Long, if we are to believe his accusers. What Long is accused of is by no means unique to closeted homosexuals, by the way. Male ministers counseling women in their congregation have also been known to fall by the wayside.

When individual churches grow to the size of Long's congregation, clustered around the personal magnetism of an individual, they are already on shaky ground spiritually. Unless they maintain strong ties with a denomination willing to ask hard questions from time to time, and a governing board with a respectable distance from the pastor, temptation may indeed allow all kinds of misdeeds to creep in--whether sexual, financial, or simply laziness of study, prayer and dedication. We all need challenge.

But the other danger that needs to be confronted upfront and honestly is the balderdash that Stacy presents and that was apparently at the core of Long's teachings, which is that homosexuality is a disease and a curable one. Stacy, the reason that we are not hearing from hords of "cured" homosexuals, or people who "tried it" and gave it up, is that this is a whole lot of mythology. One does not "try" homosexuality and get hooked--any more that one "tries" heterosexuality and gets hooked. I cannot say that we yet fully understand sexuality, but all of the research and understanding that we do have indicates that sexuality is innate, ingrained, present at birth and unchangeable. And in fact, is more of a spectrum than an either/or proposition.

I am not aware of a single counseling program purporting to change sexuality that has not been rocked by scandal when a leader is caught figuratively with their pants down. Some programs operate under cult-like conditions (kidnapping, isolation, etc).

It is time to pray for Long, his congregation and his accusers. Pray for truth to be revealed.
Ralph Mouth

Napa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

1

This will shake the black religious community to it's core. This will actually be a good thing in the end.
Concerned Christian

Battle Creek, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

6

4

4

I have been following Bishop Long's investigation from the day it started. I also am a long time viewer of Long who has seen the prosperity of his ministry and the lives he has touched along the way. We all know that there is no such thing as the perfect man, save Jesus Christ however; I believe will all of my heart that Bishop long is innocent of these allegations. Did he make some poor decisions with these young men, perhaps, but it doesn't make him a pedophile or a sexual pervert. He is a man who has worked hard to help millions of people to overcome all kind of addictions. The biggest question is are we as a society going to judge him in the media or by the content of his overall character?
JJNSYR

Syracuse, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

There is an African-American religion? Funny, I thought the church in question was of a Christian denomination?
daggone shame

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Oct 1, 2010
 
Eddie "Dong" is a low down dirty dog - and low down dirty dogs come in every shape, form, race, religion. I believe the accusations and he should be severly punished and made to step down from the church.
Hope

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

4

4

1

Points:
*Why is one minority so oppressive and against recognizing rights of another minority?
*Why does a pastor need 10k worth of black diamonds stored in his office?
*Isn't it ususally the people who are most degrading and hateful towards homosexuality the ones who are indeed homosexuals?
*Why are people so eager to listen to a self-titled "bishop"?

I love these stories...
Down low

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

It's called the down low don't you know?

How sad people simply cannot have their own beliefs like 25yomale and Reader preaching how Stacie is so wrong.

If this would be a white preacher there would be calls to shutter his church, this is the hypocritical nature of a certain segment of our society. Simply shut it down until the investigation is complete, that is unless your getting gratification from it all then you'll want to see it keep going,
Reader

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Oct 1, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Down low wrote:
It's called the down low don't you know?
How sad people simply cannot have their own beliefs like 25yomale and Reader preaching how Stacie is so wrong.
Well, as someone has pointed out, you are entitled to your opinion, but not to your own facts.

Those who want to declare homosexuality a pathology do not have the backing of those who have researched the mental health of the homosexual population.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

20 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Bizzybee Catman Dave Serious Lady Rowdy Sidekick 18 min Seriouslady 53
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 21 min woo-boy 29,470
How Green Friendly Are You? (Quiz) 1 hr GreenixPC 1
Exposing The Exposers: Repeat Offenders Can Be ... 2 hr Oliver Canterberry 4
Ex-police officer expected to plead guilty in c... (Dec '12) 2 hr Child please 8
tmpbitl 5 hr bosco 1
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 5 hr Norm DePlume 2,227
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••