Obese man who was cut out of home dies | The Columbus Dispatch

A morbidly obese man who hadn't moved from his recliner in two years and had to be cut out of his eastern Ohio home when he fell ill was taken to a West Virginia hospital, where he died, news outlets reported yesterday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NurseMeg

Columbus, OH

#1 Apr 1, 2011
(quote) "The last time I was down there, the house wasn't clean, but it wasn't like it was on the news," Bennett said. "It stunk, I'll give you that. It stunk to high heaven, but let's not keep blowing this out of proportion." (end quote)

That is really an awful thing to say in an 'interview.' This man needed help. She shouldn't have taken a shot at his dignity when he isn't there to defend himself.
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 1, 2011
wow. i watched a similar case on television and it broke my heart - plus made me gag. the person's tissue was fused to the couch upholstery. how does one get like this? and how many have fallen into this trend?

what's up w/our world that this can happen? weird.

Since: Nov 10

Galena, OH

#3 Apr 1, 2011
What a tragedy. May he rest in peace.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#4 Apr 1, 2011
I guess he just peed and pooped all over himself for two years.
just win baby

Dublin, OH

#5 Apr 1, 2011
Typical Ohio slob
Malinda49

Butler, OH

#6 Apr 1, 2011
It is a sad story, but he had people living in the house who did nothing, im from this area in which this took place....someone should have stepped in if they knew the condidtions of the man...apparently no one in their right mind would have wanted to sit in their own urine or fecus like that...in my opinion that was abuse...no one should have to be in conditions of that sort....I agree with the one comment what has are world come to when we turn a blind eye to such tradgedy...Its not like no one didnt know please come on people we need to care more about others.....

Since: Apr 11

Butler, OH

#7 Apr 1, 2011
just win baby wrote:
Typical Ohio slob
I wouldnt say this is a typical ohio slob....some people just need help and they dont get it....the old saying goes dont judge anyone unless you walk a mile in their shoes....my grandmother and mother taught that to me growing up.......I live here and ive worked all my life to make it in this life....so before you judge anyone so harshly stop and think what if i were in their shoes how would i feel...god bless and have a great day.....
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#8 Apr 1, 2011
Malinda49 wrote:
It is a sad story, but he had people living in the house who did nothing, im from this area in which this took place....someone should have stepped in if they knew the condidtions of the man...apparently no one in their right mind would have wanted to sit in their own urine or fecus like that...in my opinion that was abuse...no one should have to be in conditions of that sort....I agree with the one comment what has are world come to when we turn a blind eye to such tradgedy...Its not like no one didnt know please come on people we need to care more about others.....
When it's dogs and cats treated like that then the authorities step right in, find homes for or euthanize the critters and bring criminal charges.
Kila

AOL

#9 Apr 1, 2011
we all want to know why...why did he not get out of the chair?? Like, did he have a stroke or what? Why did did the girlfriend just keep feeding him?? Why didn't they put him in a hospital or home?
WTF??????????

Grove City, OH

#10 Apr 2, 2011
Kila wrote:
we all want to know why...why did he not get out of the chair?? Like, did he have a stroke or what? Why did did the girlfriend just keep feeding him?? Why didn't they put him in a hospital or home?
****??????
According to the news down here the man at one time was active, but his knees were getting bad....It hurt him to get up and move....Again it was neglect and abuse on the girl friends part as far as im concerned......He should have been provided medical attention....I work in the health care field and that is unexceptable to me....
MedicGal

Martins Ferry, OH

#11 Apr 2, 2011
First thing, this is not a sad situation, or a "that poor guy" kind of deal. This is a perfect example of why SLOTH is one of the 7 DEADLY sins. If the man was capable of stuffing the food in his mouth, he was equally capable of using a phone and calling for help if he wanted it, obviously he did not. Noone held him captive, noone forced him to sit in his own filth. I live in a town near where this happened. The other adults in this situation were disgusting enablers, including the slumlord. It seems blame is thrown around so quickly - "it was abuse or neglect etc...." The blame belongs to the man who chose to live in those conditions. He had arthritis - take a frickin tylenol and move! There was no extreme medical condition that stopped his mobility. He made a decision to sit in that chair and rot and no intervention shy of his own was going to change that. He just illustrated yet another way obesity kills.
Nurse Betty

Westerville, OH

#12 Apr 3, 2011
This is just plain gross! But it will be a Lifetime movie next season.

Mount Sterling, OH

#13 Apr 4, 2011
Iagree to the point that he should have called for help, but people living in the house also had a responsibility as humans to do something also....To some point the landlord should take some responsiblity also she knew how dirty and disguising the house was and also did nothing....we as people when we know of a bad situation have the right and responsibilty do something...its called humanity....we feel so sorry for people over seas and give a crap and about people here in are country,,,,,please people wake up....someone needed to do something, im not going to point a finger at anyone.....just saying someone should have gotten hiim help if he wouldnt do it himself....the man would still be alive if someone would have stepped out to plate....Im not perfect but if i know of someone who needs help i will do what i can to see they get it.....we all need to step up to plate and do what we can...
MedicGal

Martins Ferry, OH

#14 Apr 4, 2011
Malinda49 wrote:
Iagree to the point that he should have called for help, but people living in the house also had a responsibility as humans to do something also....To some point the landlord should take some responsiblity also she knew how dirty and disguising the house was and also did nothing....we as people when we know of a bad situation have the right and responsibilty do something...its called humanity....we feel so sorry for people over seas and give a crap and about people here in are country,,,,,please people wake up....someone needed to do something, im not going to point a finger at anyone.....just saying someone should have gotten hiim help if he wouldnt do it himself....the man would still be alive if someone would have stepped out to plate....Im not perfect but if i know of someone who needs help i will do what i can to see they get it.....we all need to step up to plate and do what we can...
It's an idealistic and niave outlook you have on society. According to your logic, you should take in the next homeless person you see and help them get back on their feet, as you have a "responsibility" to help them out of a bad situation.
I tend to think that we are responsible for ourselves. I don't understand why the guy who sat on a giant mound of his own feces and maggots does not have to be accountable for his own actions? He ate himself to obesity, developed arthritis due to the weight and made the descision one fateful day to NOT get up and go to the bathroom. How is that someone else's responsibility?? Let's say for a moment that a kind hearted person was going to "step up to the plate" and call "someone". Who would you call for this situation?? Adult protective services? The Health Dept? There is nothing that CAN be done without the consent of the person involved. There were no pets or children endangered by his filth so children services and animal control weren't needed and the two other adults were there of their own free will. He did not have a mental condition that would render him unable to make his own decisions. And in this country, when you take someone out of their disgusting conditions and force medical care, soap and water on them against their will - that's called KIDNAPPING and ASSAULT.
Kila

AOL

#15 Apr 5, 2011
MedicGal wrote:
<quoted text>
It's an idealistic and niave outlook you have on society. According to your logic, you should take in the next homeless person you see and help them get back on their feet, as you have a "responsibility" to help them out of a bad situation.
I tend to think that we are responsible for ourselves. I don't understand why the guy who sat on a giant mound of his own feces and maggots does not have to be accountable for his own actions? He ate himself to obesity, developed arthritis due to the weight and made the descision one fateful day to NOT get up and go to the bathroom. How is that someone else's responsibility?? Let's say for a moment that a kind hearted person was going to "step up to the plate" and call "someone". Who would you call for this situation?? Adult protective services? The Health Dept? There is nothing that CAN be done without the consent of the person involved. There were no pets or children endangered by his filth so children services and animal control weren't needed and the two other adults were there of their own free will. He did not have a mental condition that would render him unable to make his own decisions. And in this country, when you take someone out of their disgusting conditions and force medical care, soap and water on them against their will - that's called KIDNAPPING and ASSAULT.
I disagree with one thing only in your post. You say he did not have a mental condition. I believe he did. Therefore, they could have called the right people and had him committed. Even just calling the police, who could very well see something was f##ked with him. Imagine, maggots crawling up your colon and being ok with that. I rest my case.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#16 Apr 5, 2011
The article says 348lbs, is that a misprint? I mean OK 348 is a little large but not so large he couldn't get up out of the chair. When a person gets so fat they can't get out of the bed or the chair, someone is bringing them food. That is the person with the agenda. How can you really care about someone and help them eat themselves to death?
Kila

AOL

#17 Apr 5, 2011
Rocketlamb wrote:
The article says 348lbs, is that a misprint? I mean OK 348 is a little large but not so large he couldn't get up out of the chair. When a person gets so fat they can't get out of the bed or the chair, someone is bringing them food. That is the person with the agenda. How can you really care about someone and help them eat themselves to death?
Exactly, and why couldn't they feed him diet food???
MedicGal

Martins Ferry, OH

#18 Apr 6, 2011
Kila wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with one thing only in your post. You say he did not have a mental condition. I believe he did. Therefore, they could have called the right people and had him committed. Even just calling the police, who could very well see something was f##ked with him. Imagine, maggots crawling up your colon and being ok with that. I rest my case.
Kila, I work at the only mental health hospital in the area and you cannot commit and Ohio resident against their will only a wet virginia resident can do that, unless they went to an ohio psych facility and the nearest to Bellaire is Columbus (2hrs west)I'm not saying he wasn't really messed in the head. It was not documented, diagnosed or described by anyone close to him, so therefore it legally didn't exist
Kila

AOL

#19 Apr 7, 2011
MedicGal wrote:
<quoted text> Kila, I work at the only mental health hospital in the area and you cannot commit and Ohio resident against their will only a wet virginia resident can do that, unless they went to an ohio psych facility and the nearest to Bellaire is Columbus (2hrs west)I'm not saying he wasn't really messed in the head. It was not documented, diagnosed or described by anyone close to him, so therefore it legally didn't exist
Thanks for the info. I guess then, that the only recourse would have been to get him medical attention. Simply on the grounds that he was obese and could no longer stand up, and his body was infested with parasites. I would really like to know more about the two putzes who lived with him, how they could not figure out how serious it had become. How dense can they be???
deana

Martins Ferry, OH

#20 Apr 7, 2011
the landlord lived 2 houses down from him and she works for the city of bellaire.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scammer 10 min Window worker 6
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Pale Rider 4,839
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 2 hr TonyD2 81
Rod Parsley says ministry threatened by lack of... (Dec '09) 3 hr Chris 760
COPS lives MATTER 4 hr They cannot kill ... 48
Should Suspected Pedophiles be Tortured? 4 hr yeah they are 14
Hand outs 4 hr White cop 10
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 8 hr Reality Speaks 312
Columbus Dating
Find my Match