“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 Dec 17, 2013
Since I previously worked in the mapping industry, this tidbit was interesting to me.

Repent now. Geographers map 7 deadly sins

The seven deadly sins (for those who don't concern themselves with such things and/or have never seen that creepy Brad Pitt movie) are, in no particular order: wrath, envy, greed, gluttony, sloth, lust and pride.

Seeking to discover where in America those sins are most prevalent, a group of geographers from Kansas State University did some research using data on things such as number of fast food restaurants per capita (gluttony), number of thefts and robberies (envy), and average incomes compared with the number of inhabitants living beneath the poverty line (greed).

The maps originally were created in 2009, but recently popped up again thanks to a blog at memolition.

Here are a few examples, starting with wrath. Red indicates higher rates of violent crimes per capita. Blue indicates lower rates. The southeast and central California look particularly bad. Those seeking a peaceful (if chilly) life would do well to move to North Dakota.

Perhaps most interesting is the map on greed, which compares average incomes with the number of people living below the poverty line.

full article here:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/geograph...

I'm surprised Che doesn't live in the deep south with this infographic!

“Baby, it's cold outside! ”

Since: Apr 10

BLOCKHEADS!

#2 Dec 18, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
Since I previously worked in the mapping industry, this tidbit was interesting to me.
Repent now. Geographers map 7 deadly sins
The seven deadly sins (for those who don't concern themselves with such things and/or have never seen that creepy Brad Pitt movie) are, in no particular order: wrath, envy, greed, gluttony, sloth, lust and pride.
Seeking to discover where in America those sins are most prevalent, a group of geographers from Kansas State University did some research using data on things such as number of fast food restaurants per capita (gluttony), number of thefts and robberies (envy), and average incomes compared with the number of inhabitants living beneath the poverty line (greed).
The maps originally were created in 2009, but recently popped up again thanks to a blog at memolition.
Here are a few examples, starting with wrath. Red indicates higher rates of violent crimes per capita. Blue indicates lower rates. The southeast and central California look particularly bad. Those seeking a peaceful (if chilly) life would do well to move to North Dakota.
Perhaps most interesting is the map on greed, which compares average incomes with the number of people living below the poverty line.
full article here:
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/geograph...
I'm surprised Che doesn't live in the deep south with this infographic!
Great article. I am a map lover to begin with.
The rest of the link didn't connect to show all the other maps however.
Maybe the server was busy...will try later.
Thanks!

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#3 Dec 18, 2013
No need to repent. Move here and find every life experience in one town!
https://www.facebook.com/ioburque
dunadd

Greensboro, NC

#4 Dec 18, 2013
I am pleased to know there is more gluttony, envy and greed in South Carolina than in the Big Apple.
More gluttony, envy and greed in Alabama and Georgia than Philadelphia and Chicago.
My comment: HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Detroit has less gluttony, envy and greed than Charleston. Yeah, right!!!

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#5 Dec 18, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Great article. I am a map lover to begin with.
The rest of the link didn't connect to show all the other maps however.
Maybe the server was busy...will try later.
Thanks!
Try it from their home page: http://hazardgeographer.com/

I love maps too. It's fascinating to see these compilations of attitudes by geography. I don't know what criteria they used for their surveys. That would be interesting to see if/how they slanted the views because the concentrations surprised me in some ways.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#6 Dec 18, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
No need to repent. Move here and find every life experience in one town!
https://www.facebook.com/ioburque
I would if I could. I think anywhere there is more sun, there should be more happy, right?

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#7 Dec 18, 2013
dunadd wrote:
I am pleased to know there is more gluttony, envy and greed in South Carolina than in the Big Apple.
More gluttony, envy and greed in Alabama and Georgia than Philadelphia and Chicago.
My comment: HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
Detroit has less gluttony, envy and greed than Charleston. Yeah, right!!!
I'm not sure. Ever been to Atlanta or Miami? Yeah... lots of greed down in Miami, trust me... lots of very huge yachts and probably just as much banking (international) in Miami. Atlanta, it's just a hot mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Now it has a name: Crossfire Hurricane 8 min Pope Che Reagan C... 94
Are Whites A Minority In Columbus? 15 min dhanna 1
NO lying about the Harry, Meghan Wedding 25 min Curseson you 37
News Columbus to pay $30,000 to man stomped by polic... 1 hr Reality Speaks 4
Sean Hannity 1 hr Reality Speaks 793
Pineapple....you little brown skinned nipper ! 4 hr Reality Speaks 2
How about that Nobel Peace Prize 7 hr Reality Speaks 25
Will N.Korea Denuclear Agreement be as GOOD as ... 9 hr Reality Speaks 43

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages