Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

A hostile exchange took place in the courtroom today where George Zimmerman is on trial for second degree murder as Judge Debra Nelson questioned the defendant about his plans to testify.

Nelson reminded Zimmerman that he has the “absolute right to remain silent” if he so desires and proceeded to ask him whether he was prepared to testify. Defense attorney Don West twice objected to the question, but was overruled by Nelson, who explained,“The court is entitled to inquire if Mr. Zimmerman’s determination [sic] as to whether or not he wants to testify.”

The judge then began asking Zimmerman how much time he requires to determine whether or not he would like to testify. West again objected to the question and asked for more time to speak with his client, prompting Judge Nelson to raise her voice and exclaim,“Your objection is overruled!”

The tension escalated as another of Zimmerman’s defense attorneys, Mark O’Mara, was overheard asking under his breath,“What is going on?”

Kathi Belich, a journalist following the trial for a local news channel, tweeted her surprise at the line of questioning, writing “I have never seen that in more than 30 years of court reporting.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/353105/j...

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Answer: The kind of judge who is actively trying to have the defendant found guilty.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

I'm raising odds of hung jury to 25%

Media would love that ending, it means a near certain second trial, or if the prosecutor drops, an easy way to get riots and blame the Republicans.
They cannot kill a spook

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Answer: The kind of judge who is actively trying to have the defendant found guilty.
The stakes are not as high but a coomon pleas judge and a municipal court judge in Fairfield county behave and question defendants exactly like Nelson.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

-The-Artist- wrote:
I'm raising odds of hung jury to 25%
Media would love that ending, it means a near certain second trial, or if the prosecutor drops, an easy way to get riots and blame the Republicans.
If it comes down 5-1 for acquittal, the defense will trot down the hall five minutes later and file a motion for Judgement of Acquittal.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
I read an article, maybe yesterday, that the judge stormed out of the courtroom after 12-13 hours. Poor baby was late for dinner..........

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I read an article, maybe yesterday, that the judge stormed out of the courtroom after 12-13 hours. Poor baby was late for dinner..........
She's feeling the heat from her masters in Washington.
They cannot kill a spook

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

They cannot kill a spook wrote:
<quoted text>
C.
U.
N.
T.
Is a perfect tittle for her.
Keeping the post aive
Geronimo

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Desperation and fear... Florida is scared.

Since: Dec 11

Franklin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

I was dissappointed when I heard Z is not taking the stand. The only fabrication that makes sense is Coon crying and I wanted to hear Z say it was him or some explanation of who. He still wins aquittal from most jury's. Just remember, this is all women.
Dude Watson

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't appear that she has missed many dinners....
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
Kathi Belich, a journalist following the trial for a local news channel, tweeted her surprise at the line of questioning, writing “I have never seen that in more than 30 years of court reporting.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/353105/j...
I don't know that this was so awful. If anything, hearing something from him might actually help humanize him to the jury as opposed to talking through his suits, which always turns me off.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Dude Watson wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't appear that she has missed many dinners....
The big thing she blew was the admission of the texts from Martin's cell phone and, perhaps, giving counsel a chance to depose people. I think those texts do give the jury some insight into the type of person Zimmerman was dealing with.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
The big thing she blew was the admission of the texts from Martin's cell phone and, perhaps, giving counsel a chance to depose people. I think those texts do give the jury some insight into the type of person Zimmerman was dealing with.
Caveat to the above: Defense counsel could just be huffing and puffing about nothing so they have something to hang an appeal on if the verdict doesn't go their way.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Caveat to the above: Defense counsel could just be huffing and puffing about nothing so they have something to hang an appeal on if the verdict doesn't go their way.
Its a balancing test. Probative value vs. risk of prejudicing the jury.

"You take your victims as you find them", the old saying goes. That's why people get convicted of murder or manslaughter when they engage in a simple criminal assault but the victim has for instance, a heart condition that gets aggravated by the trauma of the assault, suffers a heart attack, and dies.

This case is reversed from that. GZ got more than he bargained for, perhaps.

woof

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 15 of15
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

42 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly |... (Dec '10) 22 min Amigo 49
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 38 min maybe 2,205
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 48 min d pantaloni 52
1 Dead, Probation Officer Injured In Shooting I... 57 min They cannot kill a Spook 1
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Male 2,694
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Old Guy 28,435
Will Obama Resign From Office? 1 hr TonyD2 572
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE