First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#1 Sep 19, 2013
Let's get off the Che beating train. Serious stuff here. I've been pulling my hair out this week with AT&T's customer service for their Uverse cable. My box flakes out, they told me THREE times this week they'd have a technician here between 6pm and 8pm. Three times, no show. Then I have to spend about an hour on the phone, punch 1, punch 2. I'm ready to fire them and get another cable company, I just have basic...no HBO, Showtime, etc.

What's your story with cable companies? This will also mean I'll need to get another internet provider, so thinking Wowway. Feedback?

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#2 Sep 19, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
Let's get off the Che beating train. Serious stuff here. I've been pulling my hair out this week with AT&T's customer service for their Uverse cable. My box flakes out, they told me THREE times this week they'd have a technician here between 6pm and 8pm. Three times, no show. Then I have to spend about an hour on the phone, punch 1, punch 2. I'm ready to fire them and get another cable company, I just have basic...no HBO, Showtime, etc.
What's your story with cable companies? This will also mean I'll need to get another internet provider, so thinking Wowway. Feedback?
ATT could foul up a wet dream no matter the service...phone, TV, internet.
Your other two choices are WOW and Time Warner. I've had both and it's no contest...WOW is usually cheaper, has fewer outages and isn't an uber-leftist media organ.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#3 Sep 19, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
One thing to check is that your connections are screwed in completely (counting the one from the pole). Another thing, cable companies have workers who drive around scanning houses for illegal hook-ups and sometimes it effects legitimate customers service.
I once split a connection to run basic cable to a TV and a few weeks later my cable acted up with no other explanation from the cable company of what was wrong, other than maybe it was descrambled by the drivers i'm referring to. BTW, I did ask first if I could run the splitter...which we all know people who do it.
Anyhow, bottom line... If you're going to get ripped off by a cable company, might as well go with Time Warner, because they're all junk and you can't live without the b@st@rds.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#4 Sep 19, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>ATT could foul up a wet dream no matter the service...phone, TV, internet.
Your other two choices are WOW and Time Warner. I've had both and it's no contest...WOW is usually cheaper, has fewer outages and isn't an uber-leftist media organ.
I love their products. I have really reliable cell service and got my iPhone almost free from them. Cell service has never been an issue with them. Internet service hasn't been an issue. Fast, never down, the router has never had a problem.

It's been their Uverse cable I've had problems with. Their DVR boxes are POSs and I've had one flaking out again, within a year. This time they're telling me they've tested the lines and they're finding a problem coming into the place. I REFUSE to take time off of work to accommodate the tools--the way I see it, I'm paying them good money. They can accommodate me.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#6 Sep 19, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I love their products. I have really reliable cell service and got my iPhone almost free from them. Cell service has never been an issue with them. Internet service hasn't been an issue. Fast, never down, the router has never had a problem.
It's been their Uverse cable I've had problems with. Their DVR boxes are POSs and I've had one flaking out again, within a year. This time they're telling me they've tested the lines and they're finding a problem coming into the place. I REFUSE to take time off of work to accommodate the tools--the way I see it, I'm paying them good money. They can accommodate me.
You can try and Google your cable modem/box troubleshooting list to see if that helps. Time Warner modems have a pin hole reset which is not plain to see or skipped by the customers knowing. A cable guy told me about it for future troubleshoots.
If all else fails, F**k it... Beat the hell out of the thing.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#7 Sep 19, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
You can try and Google your cable modem/box troubleshooting list to see if that helps. Time Warner modems have a pin hole reset which is not plain to see or skipped by the customers knowing. A cable guy told me about it for future troubleshoots.
If all else fails, F**k it... Beat the hell out of the thing.
I'd love to kick it. But sadly, I will not pay them the replacement. I'm a tight wad.
I'll have see if there's a pin hole reset on mine. Thanks!

hahahahah now Topix is yelling at me after all week of typing feck? It's telling me "to be polite?" LOL

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#8 Sep 19, 2013
Spooktackular kcus sllotr wrote:
<quoted text>
I use digital to analog converters for the old tv's and antennas. No cable. I have digital recorders that when filled can burn DVDs of the shows on them. I can't see giving money to my enemies. Wow is supposedly a good internet provider they are not on my Road
Spook, beginning to see them as my enemy as well. I only need cable for basic stations, really. The rates are getting out of hand. Highway robbery. All I want is my basic networks, PBS, and a couple of cable stations like History Channel, Food Network, maybe A&E. Most television is trash. I just want the news, see my few PBS series like Call the Midwife, and a few other things like college hoops in the winter.

Unfortunately, I do have a digital TV. Don't think I can use your route.
sidekick

Columbus, OH

#10 Sep 19, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to kick it. But sadly, I will not pay them the replacement. I'm a tight wad.
hahahahah now Topix is yelling at me after all week of typing feck? It's telling me "to be polite?" LOL
Then make them really work to fix it.
Before they come... super-glue the connections, submerge the cable box in water, then bake the piece of junk, place rat traps behind the TV, set TV with the most abstract sharpness, contrast, & tint and hope his van gets broken into while he's in your house.
son of hey now

Columbus, OH

#11 Sep 19, 2013
A lightning strike started a fire that scorched ATT's cables on the pole near our house. For two years they've had the spliced cables wrapped in a plastic bag. Imagine the el cheapo fixes on the sh^t that is not visible. Eff em for splitting all internet traffic into the NSA.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#12 Sep 19, 2013
<quoted text>
If it actually is a TV, having a digital tuner, and not just a monitor then all you need is rabbit ears. I get 4.1 4.2 columbus 4 and metv ; 6.1 6.2 columbus 6 and this tv / mytv depending on time of day; 10.1 and 10.2 which is columbus 10 and antena tv mostly old tv shows and variois movies. 18.1 zanesville nbc affiliate, fox 28 34.1 through 34.3 which is pbs, ohip channel and pbs-create mostly cooking or how to shows some travel.shows
53.1-53.5 church channels 1 is geared to kids another is in spanish (beaner church) 53.1 which is wwho. All with just indoor rabbit ear antenna some with the converter for the old tvs
At some places I get OU pbs instead of OSU pbs and West virgina stations instead of Columbus.
For internet fun I use the data network for surveying total stations and such.
Interesting. yes, digital television with digital tuner.

Been a few years since I've even touched a total station. I still miss that life sometimes. Most fun I've ever had and got paid for it. But luckily, wasn't the one responsible for building the networks and finding the utilities--those guys worked their butts off. Was only responsible for building the implementation plans and managing the projects, sometimes dealing with the digital mapping guys overlaying the topos, street maps, and aerial photography. Damn that job was fun.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#14 Sep 19, 2013
<quoted text>
If it actually is a TV, having a digital tuner, and not just a monitor then all you need is rabbit ears. I get 4.1 4.2 columbus 4 and metv ; 6.1 6.2 columbus 6 and this tv / mytv depending on time of day; 10.1 and 10.2 which is columbus 10 and antena tv mostly old tv shows and variois movies. 18.1 zanesville nbc affiliate, fox 28 34.1 through 34.3 which is pbs, ohip channel and pbs-create mostly cooking or how to shows some travel.shows
53.1-53.5 church channels 1 is geared to kids another is in spanish (beaner church) 53.1 which is wwho. All with just indoor rabbit ear antenna some with the converter for the old tvs
At some places I get OU pbs instead of OSU pbs and West virgina stations instead of Columbus.
For internet fun I use the data network for surveying total stations and such.
WWHO has an application to move to the WSYX tower. Once they get an OTA news channel, I'm def dropping cable. Until then, I enjoy the movies too much.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#15 Sep 19, 2013
I have Insight, which is now Time Warner and had a great rate. Once they jack that up, I'm probably going back to WOW.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#18 Sep 19, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
I have Insight, which is now Time Warner and had a great rate. Once they jack that up, I'm probably going back to WOW.
I'm not convinced the rates are competitive between any of the biggies--WOW, ATT, Time Warner. They just package a bit differently.

What gets me is AT&T's customer abuse. I had three appointments set up, all three THEY missed. A fourth now set up for Saturday morning. All because they suspect an issue with the line coming in, but they will need access to my place. So like a fool, three times this week, I rush across town, only to be stood up. And I pay for this? This is a dysfunctional relationship if I've ever seen one! "Hey honey, how do ya like my TV shows? I'm gonna flake out and not do the job while you pay the bill. Fix it? Yeah, you'll pay double by using your time off to deal with me instead of applying it to your next trip to Vegas or the beach."

Nope. Ain't happening. I've divorcing these suckers if they don't show Saturday.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Sep 19, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not convinced the rates are competitive between any of the biggies--WOW, ATT, Time Warner. They just package a bit differently.
They aren't. I think the reason I got such a good deal is because Insight was trying to keep subscribers until they sold the company. I get a DVR plus the internet 16 MB plus Encore and Showtime for $82 (now $92). I tried to get WOW to match it, but they couldn't get anywhere near that.$115 is the closest they could get.

Still too much money, but I need the internet and do enjoy the movies.

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#20 Sep 19, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
They aren't. I think the reason I got such a good deal is because Insight was trying to keep subscribers until they sold the company. I get a DVR plus the internet 16 MB plus Encore and Showtime for $82 (now $92). I tried to get WOW to match it, but they couldn't get anywhere near that.$115 is the closest they could get.
Still too much money, but I need the internet and do enjoy the movies.
I agree. I don't get the premium channels. What I do have is ATT Uverse On Demand, which is cool. I can get movies same day as DVD,$5 each. Much cheaper than going to the movie theatre. So what I save by not having premium, I can use for my movies. I do like that. Movie tickets are what?$15 or $20 each? I might sit down and watch a relatively new movie once or twice a month, and I can watch it whenever I want, no schedules to worry about.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#21 Sep 20, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny! I replied to a post on another forum yesterday, one word, "nope" and got that same warning. I have Time Warner, only one major issue in the five years I've lived here. The buried cable was breaking down, they replaced it within 24 hours. Their contractors suck though. They ran the cable OVER a tree root,its bright orange, you can see it out there in the middle of the yard,LMAO.

“Cats rule.”

Since: Dec 09

Chardon Ohio.

#22 Sep 20, 2013
I've had Direct tv for over 12 years now. I love it.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#23 Sep 20, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Too funny! I replied to a post on another forum yesterday, one word, "nope" and got that same warning. I have Time Warner, only one major issue in the five years I've lived here. The buried cable was breaking down, they replaced it within 24 hours. Their contractors suck though. They ran the cable OVER a tree root,its bright orange, you can see it out there in the middle of the yard,LMAO.
Clear cookies.
Les

Columbus, OH

#24 Sep 20, 2013
sidekick wrote:
<quoted text>
Then make them really work to fix it.
Before they come... super-glue the connections, submerge the cable box in water, then bake the piece of junk, place rat traps behind the TV, set TV with the most abstract sharpness, contrast, & tint and hope his van gets broken into while he's in your house.
Thanks for making me choke on my morning coffee from laughing!

“Queen of my domain”

Location hidden

#25 Sep 20, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
I ditched Time Warner when AT&T seduced me to bundle everything and for me, it's convenient. One payment for cell, internet, cable.(I canned my home phone, money paid for something I NEVER used.) I didn't mind their cable, it's basically the same what I have now.

Running the cable over the tree root is hilarious. Let's hope you never need to cut that tree down and remove it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 4 min Reality Speaks 211
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 7 min UberGenius 1,024
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 8 min Neutral Party 4,948
African American Male Initiative seeks to help ... 16 min Duke for Mayor 13
Dead boy's mom urges Columbus marchers on 1 hr shanikwah university 13
men who wear nighties (Sep '13) 4 hr Andrew 48 39
Dustin Diamond goes all Jihadi on dude 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance