Leader of foster-parent group seeks to break away from Childrens Se...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Gregg Oberlander watches as his adoptive son prays before lunch in front of a backdrop of photos of some of Oberlander's past foster kids.

Comments (Page 2)

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Reader

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2010

Judged:

Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
$15 per day is most certainly not the going rate. Again, I previously worked in billing for a foster care agency. Per diem rates:
Traditional -$65.00
Special Needs -$85.00
Exceptional Needs -$200.00
Intensive Needs -$200.00
Emergency Family Foster Care -$365.00
Auxiliary annual payments:
Clothing -$1,500.00
Graduation Expenses -$1,500.00
Personal Incidentals -$2,500.00
In Columbus metro, family recruitment campaigns were typically geared toward low income neighborhoods where families used monthly per diem as primary income.
Average cost of compensation for our families were $3,800/ month, and this is tax- free money.
I am wondering if those fees represent what was going to the families, or what was going to the agencies. Big difference.
Bobcats

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2010

Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
I am wondering if those fees represent what was going to the families, or what was going to the agencies. Big difference.
It was a private, 501-3(C)agency (non-profit). The numbers I referenced were per-diem rates that are paid directly to the families- non-profit agencies do not take a "cut". And in response to the other post by Debbie, those are rates set by the state department of children and family services, billed through medicaid or private insurance.
Adrienne

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2010

Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
$15 per day is most certainly not the going rate. Again, I previously worked in billing for a foster care agency. Per diem rates:
Traditional -$65.00
Special Needs -$85.00
Intensive Needs -$200.00
Clothing -$1,500.00
In Columbus metro, family recruitment campaigns were typically geared toward low income neighborhoods where families used monthly per diem as primary income.
Average cost of compensation for our families were $3,800/ month, and this is tax- free money.
These rates are not what is paid to the foser parents, the rates listed here is what the county pays the agency. The agency will then decided what percentage they will pay the foster parent based on the child's level of care. Just wanted to clarify that.
Anna

Bardstown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2011

Judged:

Who ever heard of hundreds a Day. You are nuts!!! I'm a foster parent of 7 years. And yes we are paid to care for children. We should. I had to quit my job and give up my paid insurance to stay at home with medical fragile babies and now paying for my insurance. Not only do I stay - I barely leave!! The children in my home need consatant care and can not go to daycare or sitters!! I do it gladly. You say hundreds a day. Why don't you post state that pays that much. Even most states pay those with a Phd. Less than. 100. Their a doctor for Pete's sake. You wanna move off. You a foster parent of a Terminal I'll child with brain injury going to doctors that are 130 miles away one trip!!! Paying to stay in hotels and caring for these special need children 24/7 even when your sick. We don't get " time off" on the weekend. Or a 30 minute lunch with friends. How dare you belittle what we do for these children.
kindness

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 15, 2012

Lori wrote:
i've known a child in a foster home. job and family services gave the foster parents vouchers to get the child clothes and other items. but the foster parents bought clothes for their biological children instead. plus they had so many foster children that this girl along with the others were only allowed to shower once a week and had a time limit of a half hour in the bathroom. naturally the teachers bought clothes for the girl and tried to help as much as they could.
i just think it would be a great idea to kind of have the better foster homes make sure the others are doing what they should be and offer guidance to see to it that no child has to suffer like this. though she was treated so badly by her foster parents this girl remained a bright spirit that was always making friends by smiling at everyone.
lori I would like for u to contact me the foster care system is a very broken system we have to all come together to fix the foster care system my e-mail is kindnessohio@att.net parents / families against cpssssssssssssssssssssssssssss s
Amanda

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Bob Cat, there is no way that anyone was being paid $65 for a traditional child. You need to document this rather than post it based on your experience.

I've been fostering for 5 years (and continue today in 2012) and have never received more than 24 dollars to care for children.
Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
Traditional -$65.00
Special Needs -$85.00
Intensive Needs -$200.00
Clothing -$1,500.00
Amanda

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2012

Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a private, 501-3(C)agency (non-profit). The numbers I referenced were per-diem rates that are paid directly to the families- non-profit agencies do not take a "cut". And in response to the other post by Debbie, those are rates set by the state department of children and family services, billed through medicaid or private insurance.
These are not rates set by the state department. Each county sets their own rate.

And if you think non-profit agencies do not take a "cut" you're insane. How do you think they pay caseworkers? In kindness and rainbows?
eyes on the system

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2012

Did you know that a fire fighter and a school teacher were foster parets and almost killed a foster child? Their OWN children were NEVER removed from THEIR HOME.?????????There are different rues and laws for Bio. Parents and Foster Parents..???????? The press NEVER covered THAT story.!!!!!!!!!
jiggs jackson

Des Moines, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 4, 2013

debbie wrote:
<quoted text>Where on earth did you work? I have NEVER seen rates that high and I have an M.ED. No wonder scumbags sign up to be foster parents with private agencies that put money before the kids.
granted, we were not foster parents in Ohio - but in another midwestern state where the per diem was $15. a day.(NOTE: you can't so much as put a child in daycare for that, let alone 24-hour, all needs provided care for a child in your home.) We were empty nesters in a big home, and said to each other, "we can sell it and move someplace smaller, or we can fill it up with children." With 3 grown, successful birth children, we opted to fill it up with children again.

The situation was abysmal in our state. You had to move heaven & earth to get a child designated as "special needs" and this was for children that all your training taught you were DEFINITELY special needs. We had children who rummaged through our belongings (one passing 2 unused checkbooks to her mother at a "supervised" visitation) a child who looked me in the eye, opened his pants and peed all over a chair (!) a child who ripped open Christmas gifts ready to be mailed to relatives, and ruined them, stuffing down as much chocolate as possible, quick before I found him - getting some on a dress for a toddler grandaughter as he did so, a child who "disassociated" and just "wasn't there", when stressed, a 7-year-old girl who pulled off her "good-nights" AND the waterproof pad over her mattress, to deliberately pee on and ruin the mattress of her bed - then told her counselor that I humiliated her by "putting her in diapers" & subseqently took to putting wet training pants on top of a walnut dresser, ruining the finish, a 15- year-old boy who stole a hand saw from his school, used it to gouge scratches into his arm & then hid it under his mattress!(Need I go on?) We got $350. a year to clothe these chilldren, and toys given to them by a non-profit at Christmas. We were exempt from paying for school fees or school lunches - but required to drive them clear across town to & from their original school - with no mileage reimbursement. "In it for the money?" Not by a long-shot! When we had finally "had all the fun we could handle", we got OUT!
runningeasy

Brookston, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2014

Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked for a foster care agency for 4 years in fundraising and billing. I could introduce you to 100% of an agencies families who do it just for the money.
You feel that because you have worked in fundraising and billing that you understand why people become foster parents? That is like saying you think you understand drug addicts because you know how much a bottle of pain killers costs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 21 - 30 of30
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

12 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 15 min Old Guy 28,645
Music 20 min Pale Rider 5
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 2 hr UdintBuildThat 81
muslim brotherhood authorizes 'anal jihad' 3 hr d pantz 52
Columbus Police Grow Concerned As Murder Rate C... 5 hr They cannot kill a Spook 4
Will Obama Resign From Office? 6 hr Black Rhino 583
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 7 hr Neutral Party 2,738
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••