Leader of foster-parent group seeks to break away from Childrens Se...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Gregg Oberlander watches as his adoptive son prays before lunch in front of a backdrop of photos of some of Oberlander's past foster kids.
Comments
1 - 20 of 30 Comments Last updated Mar 3, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Lori

Columbus, OH

#1 May 24, 2010
i've known a child in a foster home. job and family services gave the foster parents vouchers to get the child clothes and other items. but the foster parents bought clothes for their biological children instead. plus they had so many foster children that this girl along with the others were only allowed to shower once a week and had a time limit of a half hour in the bathroom. naturally the teachers bought clothes for the girl and tried to help as much as they could.
i just think it would be a great idea to kind of have the better foster homes make sure the others are doing what they should be and offer guidance to see to it that no child has to suffer like this. though she was treated so badly by her foster parents this girl remained a bright spirit that was always making friends by smiling at everyone.
timmy

Youngstown, OH

#2 May 24, 2010
Job and Family Services just look out for themselves. This is a good idea. Tight restriction on foster parents may be need until all problems are ironed out, but this is good all the way around. It's not the kids fault! Help them.
glennx

Zanesville, OH

#3 May 24, 2010
this guy is obviously trying very hard to care for children who need help the most.
I'm not familiar with the procedure used to help these kids or the costs involved but whatever can be done ,should be done ,
he should be commended and listened to ,government control usually isn't the best way..
Interesting

Columbus, OH

#4 May 24, 2010
I think this is a very good idea. Its unfortunate that an organization such as this should have to take on the responsibility of education and training but if they don't, who will? It is time to think outside the box and when posistive outcomes are the desired result, it will be successful. As with any agency, sometimes I think we tend to forget the bottom line - it really is about children and helping families.
Reader

Columbus, OH

#5 May 24, 2010
Sounds like a good idea. Veteran foster parents are frequently the folks with the best information not only on what works well with kids, but also on accessing resources through the system. It's sad that FCCS raises questions based on the fact that foster families might share information about things like reimbursement rates. In the end FCCS is responsible for all of the kids, whether placed directly with FCCS foster parents, or farmed out through various other agencies.
char51

Dayton, OH

#6 May 24, 2010
im glad to see someone is finely seeing what ive been saying for years. except i call them chil sellers, to save there jobs. they take child for little or no reason. call them a lier and its a shore bet you lose you childern. i;ve alway said we need something to care for childern, but not cps.we need a watch dog for a watch dog. ive seen for my self a foster mother was going thru a garbage bag of closes at social services. knowing well they got vouches, for the child.ive seen where a good case workers, quite because of what was going on , with the lies they tell, just to keep from cut backs.they have to spend so much to keep there budget going and keep jobs. so if you think, that what they do, check out what they do is wrong. check out these web sights afra.com and fight cps.com . also type in bad case worker as a sprse.
debbie

Columbus, OH

#7 May 24, 2010
I was a foster parent for 10 years and had children from 2 weeks old to age 17. I have never met anyone who kept children as a way of making money. The very idea is absurd and if those people exist thay have a rude shock coming. Vouchers do not even come close to keeping a child in clothes and shoes for an entire school year and the piddly amount received per day per child doesn't pay the electric bill for a month let alone food and school supplies and trips to doctors and visitation with the child's family. Every child I cared for had been battered or severely neglected or both and the real crime was seeing them go back to people who usually did it again. I adopted my last child at 3 months old after his mother broke his arm and 3 ribs, shook him into a brain hemorrhage and then tried to suffocate him. She didn't want a child and was "too religious" (her words) to have an abortion. Apparently attempted murder was an ok option though. She served 2 years in prison and is now out and having more children. God Bless foster care. At least some children are spared.
Bobcats

Circleville, OH

#8 May 24, 2010
debbie wrote:
I was a foster parent for 10 years and had children from 2 weeks old to age 17. I have never met anyone who kept children as a way of making money. The very idea is absurd and if those people exist thay have a rude shock coming. Vouchers do not even come close to keeping a child in clothes and shoes for an entire school year and the piddly amount received per day per child doesn't pay the electric bill for a month let alone food and school supplies and trips to doctors and visitation with the child's family. Every child I cared for had been battered or severely neglected or both and the real crime was seeing them go back to people who usually did it again. I adopted my last child at 3 months old after his mother broke his arm and 3 ribs, shook him into a brain hemorrhage and then tried to suffocate him. She didn't want a child and was "too religious" (her words) to have an abortion. Apparently attempted murder was an ok option though. She served 2 years in prison and is now out and having more children. God Bless foster care. At least some children are spared.
I worked for a foster care agency for 4 years in fundraising and billing. I could introduce you to 100% of an agencies families who do it just for the money.
OJFS and Franklin Co

Columbus, OH

#9 May 24, 2010
The state and Franklin County are the perfect example of government gone wrong.
They promote families to breed more children so they can get mo money and all the free stuff.
The County Children Services Agency is a joke.
Government employees need to do their jobs, not just suck up a paycheck.
debbie

Columbus, OH

#10 May 24, 2010
I find that very sad. Without exception the foster parents I knew truly were in it for the kids.
Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked for a foster care agency for 4 years in fundraising and billing. I could introduce you to 100% of an agencies families who do it just for the money.
char51

Dayton, OH

#11 May 24, 2010
debbie wrote:
ok debbie so how much do you get? in highland county they get 30. a day per child and some of these people has as many as 6 if not more .thats ruffly 5400 a month. i know people how work and dont get that much, and they cant feed , and clothes eather. i could and do a dam good job of it .pluss the food stamps,day care, fuel. that theses people get. maybe a few are good. but i know kids in foster care that have had dog bits,been abust sexual, and other ways. i under stand there is a need of some kind, for childern care, but a better waythere has to be. i think goverment is breeding child rearing out because i know case workers go to school and let girls know, they will take care of them.lady there is a lot you dont know what goes on,and no one will tell !
Reader

Columbus, OH

#12 May 24, 2010
char51 wrote:
<quoted text>ok debbie so how much do you get? in highland county they get 30. a day per child and some of these people has as many as 6 if not more .thats ruffly 5400 a month. i know people how work and dont get that much, and they cant feed , and clothes eather. i could and do a dam good job of it .pluss the food stamps,day care, fuel. that theses people get. maybe a few are good. but i know kids in foster care that have had dog bits,been abust sexual, and other ways. i under stand there is a need of some kind, for childern care, but a better waythere has to be. i think goverment is breeding child rearing out because i know case workers go to school and let girls know, they will take care of them.lady there is a lot you dont know what goes on,and no one will tell !
char--I think that you have some confused facts. If someone is getting $30 per day per kid, they are most likely a "therapeutic" foster parent working with kids who would otherwise be institutionalized. High needs, high risks, etc. I gotta stand with debbie--anyone who goes into foster care thinking that they can get ahead, or even break even, is in for a big surprise. Yes, despite all screening tools, some folks get through who are abusive, neglectful or overall bad parents. Happens in nice upper-middle-class two-parent biological families sometimes also. Always easy to say in hindsight someone should have known--maybe, maybe not.

I would point out that there is nothing stopping you from signing up to become a foster parent. I don't know if you would pass through the requirements--but you are welcome to try if you think you can do better.

I am not certain exactly what you mean when you say government is "breeding child bearing out," but you mean that case workers are urging young girls to have children so that they can be removed and placed in foster care--well that's a pretty loony proposition and if you are one of the people who "knows" but won't tell, then I say shame on you. But basically, I think you are talking through your hat.
Dino B

Columbus, OH

#13 May 24, 2010
Char,
I can't speak for Debbie or anyone else, but in my county we get $15.00 per day, which does not even cover the cost of the day care center that cares for our foster child during working hours. That amounts to $450.00 per month or $5,475.00 per year. While WIC and clothing vouchers are available we have not taken these because we know others depend on them to survive. When you factor in day care, diapers, clothing, over the counter medications and transportation costs you cannot question our motives. I know that some private agencies pay more than this however this has never been about the money for myself or any of the foster parents that I have met in our county.
jbd612

AOL

#14 May 24, 2010
Lori I hope you reported that parent for abusing a foster child.

Foster children are often abused by those being paid to take care of them and it is a horrible crime to know this is happening and do nothing to help.

I have had quite a few years experience of working with foster children and they need as much help and support as humanly possible to build a healthy life in spite of years of abuse and trauma.

It takes all of us standing up for what is best for the children.
Observer

Miami Beach, FL

#15 May 24, 2010
The Foster Parent need to listen to Mr. Fenner on this one. The goal of the Agency based on State Guidelines is to reunify the children or to place with relatives. The the foster parents break off from the agency then liability will be theirs and I do not think they realize the ramifications of this when a child is hurt or god forbid dies in their care, this would destroy a foster agency financially among other things. Personally if the agency would just work a little better with extended family member then there would be no need for foster parents.

As for training, getting together with other foster agencies then do it. FCCS has all mandated training need to retain the foster parent license along with informational training on different aspects of fostering, it actually is a good program.

Note cutting ones nose off to spite the face is very detrimental in this situation.

Before anyone points a wagging finger about an employee yes I was but was forced out, so I am not being partial to them because I look favorably upon the administration just know that it would be a good thing to listen this time.
liberated

Columbus, OH

#16 May 24, 2010
OJFS and Franklin Co wrote:
The state and Franklin County are the perfect example of government gone wrong.
They promote families to breed more children so they can get mo money and all the free stuff.
The County Children Services Agency is a joke.
Government employees need to do their jobs, not just suck up a paycheck.
I agree.
I am pro-choice, the ORIGINAL pro-choice. Not the pro-choice of today that is meaningless. Children who are not wanted and cannot be cared for should never be born. THEY do not deserve the stories that are tragic.
debbie

Columbus, OH

#17 May 25, 2010
Thanks, Dino for being a voice of reason.$15.00 per day is the going rate and there is only slightly more allowance for special needs children. Anyone who thinks they can do a good job of foster parenting AND make a profit from it is welcome to apply. I doubt most of the morons who are criticizing the system have ever cared for a crack baby or a brain injured child or a suicidal 10 year old or a 5 year old boy tortured and raped by a step-father. Those of you with the right stuff, come on down and apply. Otherwise, agree with Dino and then shut up.
Dino B wrote:
Char,
I can't speak for Debbie or anyone else, but in my county we get $15.00 per day, which does not even cover the cost of the day care center that cares for our foster child during working hours. That amounts to $450.00 per month or $5,475.00 per year. While WIC and clothing vouchers are available we have not taken these because we know others depend on them to survive. When you factor in day care, diapers, clothing, over the counter medications and transportation costs you cannot question our motives. I know that some private agencies pay more than this however this has never been about the money for myself or any of the foster parents that I have met in our county.
Bobcats

Circleville, OH

#18 May 25, 2010
debbie wrote:
Thanks, Dino for being a voice of reason.$15.00 per day is the going rate and there is only slightly more allowance for special needs children. Anyone who thinks they can do a good job of foster parenting AND make a profit from it is welcome to apply. I doubt most of the morons who are criticizing the system have ever cared for a crack baby or a brain injured child or a suicidal 10 year old or a 5 year old boy tortured and raped by a step-father. Those of you with the right stuff, come on down and apply. Otherwise, agree with Dino and then shut up.<quoted text>
$15 per day is most certainly not the going rate. Again, I previously worked in billing for a foster care agency. Per diem rates:

Traditional -$65.00
Special Needs -$85.00
Exceptional Needs -$200.00
Intensive Needs -$200.00
Emergency Family Foster Care -$365.00

Auxiliary annual payments:
Clothing -$1,500.00
Graduation Expenses -$1,500.00
Personal Incidentals -$2,500.00

In Columbus metro, family recruitment campaigns were typically geared toward low income neighborhoods where families used monthly per diem as primary income.
Average cost of compensation for our families were $3,800/ month, and this is tax- free money.
No Question

Bronx, NY

#19 May 27, 2010
Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen! I knew one and turned her behind in too!
debbie

Columbus, OH

#20 May 27, 2010
Bobcats wrote:
<quoted text>
$15 per day is most certainly not the going rate. Again, I previously worked in billing for a foster care agency. Per diem rates:
Traditional -$65.00
Special Needs -$85.00
Exceptional Needs -$200.00
Intensive Needs -$200.00
Emergency Family Foster Care -$365.00
Auxiliary annual payments:
Clothing -$1,500.00
Graduation Expenses -$1,500.00
Personal Incidentals -$2,500.00
In Columbus metro, family recruitment campaigns were typically geared toward low income neighborhoods where families used monthly per diem as primary income.
Average cost of compensation for our families were $3,800/ month, and this is tax- free money.
Where on earth did you work? I have NEVER seen rates that high and I have an M.ED. No wonder scumbags sign up to be foster parents with private agencies that put money before the kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 8 min Anonymous of Indy 30,506
Why do racists hate Obama so much ? 24 min Hoodies Skittles ... 7
RIP Joan Rivers 29 min Hoodies Skittles ... 17
Racist 1 hr Duke for Mayor 3
Big Johnson 1 hr MamaJohnson 2
Are ISIS and Obama in Cahoots? 1 hr Duke for Mayor 15
welfare nation 1 hr Duke for Mayor 16
Where are all the original legacy posters? 2 hr Catman Dave 108
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 3 hr Tofte 2,291
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters