ABC News Mocks 18,000 Lost Jobs

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#1 Nov 16, 2012
The cast of Good Morning America on Friday treated the bankruptcy of Hostess and the loss of 18,500 jobs as a hilarious joke. Josh Elliott, George Stephanopoulos and others guffawed as they handed out Twinkies and ate them on set.[See video below. MP3 audio here.] This is the same program that repeatedly spun Republican Mitt Romney as out of touch with the average American.

News anchor Josh Elliott highlighted the report for his final update of the 8am hour, a segment usually saved for humorous stories about puppies or funny videos. After referring to the mass firing as "troubling," the crew handed out treats. Elliott joked, "You know, I'm just going to save mine for 12 years when it will still be good." Co-host George Stephanopoulos mused, "So this is, like, one of our final Twinkies." Amy Robach mocked, "A toast to Twinkies."

In contrast, both CBS This Morning and NBC's Today treated the story seriously and offered more coverage. Hostess is going out of business after failing to reach a deal with a bakers union.

Today's Savannah Guthrie wondered, "...Can I be blunt here? Is this some kind of negotiating tactic to try to get the unions back to the table? Is this really it?"

Hostess CEO Gregory Rayburn glumly told her: "No. It's over...This is it."

CBS This Moring's Gayle King also included a full report on the nearly 20,000 people who will lose their jobs. Both networks, unlike ABC, managed to cover the story without resorting to mockery.

A transcript of the November 16 GMA segment can be found below:

8:05

JOSH ELLIOTT: And we do have some, well, rather troubling news here. Hostess, the maker of, among other things, Twinkies and Wonder Bread says it will go out of business today. It failed to resolve a strike among its workers a strike it says crippled its ability to make and deliver its products. Some 18,500 jobs are expected to be lost, you guys.

[The crew passes out Twinkies.]

LAURA SPENCER: And millions of children weeping as they no longer–

GEORGE STEPHANOPOULOS: Hey, me too. So this is, like, one of our final Twinkies.

ELLIOTT: A final Twinkie. You know, I'm just going to save mine for 12 years when it will still be good.

SAM CHAMPION: I was thinking exactly the same thing. I'm going to save mine, because if that's the last one.

AMY ROBACH: A toast to Twinkies.

STEPHANOPOULOS: I'm eating mine. It's pretty good.

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2...
Karl

Wellington, OH

#2 Nov 16, 2012
The rules do not apply equally to the left, how is this surprising?
Oliver

Reynoldsburg, OH

#3 Nov 16, 2012
At least Big Bird and Elmo still have their jobs.

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#4 Nov 16, 2012
Karl wrote:
The rules do not apply equally to the left, how is this surprising?
Bad move by ABC. Everyone making this partisan is making my a$$ tired. Ever buy a twinkie, ever in your life? Then you supported a union. Everything that abrades your ideologies the wrong way, boycott. Live by what you believe to the nth degree, or shut up. Walk to your work, grow your own food, eschew anything that may be potentially union. Back on topic,I reiterate bad move by ABC.
Westside Pride

Springboro, OH

#5 Nov 16, 2012
Libs don't care about the poor unless they are a minority or government leech.
Karl

Medina, OH

#6 Nov 16, 2012
Westside Pride wrote:
Libs don't care about the poor unless they are a minority or government leech.
A minority that is not a leech is called an Uncle Tom
Oliver

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Nov 16, 2012
Looks like you right wing nuts are going to lose a source of derision regarding food stamps when Twinkies disappear.
Twinkie The Kid

Columbus, OH

#9 Nov 16, 2012
Good Morning America will burn in hell for that.
Karl

Medina, OH

#10 Nov 16, 2012
Oliver wrote:
Looks like you right wing nuts are going to lose a source of derision regarding food stamps when Twinkies disappear.
If the brand name is popular enough, it will be sold after liquidation.

It will either be produced in Mexico or a right to work state like Texas, likely in Texas by Mexicans.
Oliver

Reynoldsburg, OH

#11 Nov 16, 2012
Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
If the brand name is popular enough, it will be sold after liquidation.
It will either be produced in Mexico or a right to work state like Texas, likely in Texas by Mexicans.
Hope so! Your apoplectic tales of baby mommas with forty-eleven kids buying shopping carts full of Twinkies with EBT cards is entertaining stuff.

Since: Jan 12

Mount Sterling, OH

#12 Nov 16, 2012
Westside Pride wrote:
Libs don't care about the poor unless they are a minority or government leech.
How's that good Republican (Nixon, Roosevelt) welfare check working out for all you government leeches in the Bottoms and the Hilltop? If those programs were cut, your areas would be a third world hell! Damn if only Romney had won. Those bulldozers could've pushed you scum into the Scioto river.

Since: Jan 12

Mount Sterling, OH

#13 Nov 16, 2012
Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
A minority that is not a leech is called an Uncle Tom
An uncle Tom is a negro who says nothing when members of the Republican party castigates his kinsfolk who are poor and undereducated, and use racist "bait " language to rally the extremist in his party. That is a cowardly Tom!
Karl

Medina, OH

#14 Nov 16, 2012
WISE AMERICAN wrote:
<quoted text>An uncle Tom is a negro who says nothing when members of the Republican party castigates his kinsfolk who are poor and undereducated, and use racist "bait " language to rally the extremist in his party. That is a cowardly Tom!
Black people are richer and smarter than the national average?
Female

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Nov 16, 2012
Just think in 10 more years our country will be so diverse that old white men (just the racist ones) will be sitting in the back of the bus. Times are a chang'in.
Karl

Medina, OH

#16 Nov 16, 2012
Female wrote:
Just think in 10 more years our country will be so diverse that old white men (just the racist ones) will be sitting in the back of the bus. Times are a chang'in.
Every time you share your glee over our "impending demise" is more reason to load more magazines.
notlocal

AOL

#18 Nov 16, 2012
I hope Bain Capital buys it up, restructures and ships the production to China.

Might as well make some $. Either Romney or Bush are going to get blamed anyway.

Is Bain a public company? I may buy stock.

On a serious note, bad move for any union to push it in this bad, about to get worse, economy. And totally tasteless of ABC, but what else is new?
Karl

Grafton, OH

#19 Nov 16, 2012
notlocal wrote:
I hope Bain Capital buys it up, restructures and ships the production to China.
Might as well make some $. Either Romney or Bush are going to get blamed anyway.
Is Bain a public company? I may buy stock.
On a serious note, bad move for any union to push it in this bad, about to get worse, economy. And totally tasteless of ABC, but what else is new?
It isn't cost competitive to make processed foods in China and ship them here, and admit it.

Production moves to Mexico or RTW states.

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#20 Nov 16, 2012
Female wrote:
Just think in 10 more years our country will be so diverse that old white men (just the racist ones) will be sitting in the back of the bus. Times are a chang'in.
And at age 69 today, you'll be DEAD.
Nobody will miss you.
notlocal

AOL

#22 Nov 17, 2012
Karl wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't cost competitive to make processed foods in China and ship them here, and admit it.
Production moves to Mexico or RTW states.
I don't know, with all the preservatives they put in that junk, I think China is feasible.:-) I was being 'tongue in cheek.'
But, no it would probably be South America or RTW state. But look at the problems Boeing ran into when it opened a plant in North or South Carolina.
Frankly with the uncertainity today, only the bravest of capital investors would buy any part of it and try to restructure.
No one's going to have a job to buy twinkies and who knows what new regulations the feds will come up with to make life difficult.
And now the cost of gas is going up because of the trouble in the mideast.
Hmm...someone should think about drilling and using our own oil. But what politician would ever think of that?
I'm just praying for Israel this weekend.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#23 Nov 17, 2012
notlocal wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know, with all the preservatives they put in that junk, I think China is feasible.:-) I was being 'tongue in cheek.'
But, no it would probably be South America or RTW state. But look at the problems Boeing ran into when it opened a plant in North or South Carolina.
Frankly with the uncertainity today, only the bravest of capital investors would buy any part of it and try to restructure.
No one's going to have a job to buy twinkies and who knows what new regulations the feds will come up with to make life difficult.
And now the cost of gas is going up because of the trouble in the mideast.
Hmm...someone should think about drilling and using our own oil. But what politician would ever think of that?
I'm just praying for Israel this weekend.
Less time praying, more time paying attention to what is going on around you.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/...

Take special note of when the upward trend began --

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GIUxclHvCWk/TyWoq1R...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Racist Ferguson Police 3 min Catman Dave 38
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 15 min They cannot kill ... 5,836
Bibi 25 min d pantz 80
Driver faces homicide charge (Jul '09) 25 min Club Crashley 224
What ails the black family? Hard realities! 2 hr Captain Obvious 283
A Simple Solution is Don't Challenge the Police... 3 hr Big Johnson 7
America needs Jesus Christ and the Word of God 4 hr They cannot kill ... 128
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:42 am PST

Bleacher Report11:42AM
Run Stuffing DTs Headline Browns' Free Agent Big Board
Bleacher Report 1:09 PM
Bengals Re-Sign LB Maualuga to 3-Year Deal
NFL 1:16 PM
Cincinnati Bengals re-sign Rey Maualuga
ESPN 1:25 PM
Bengals re-sign MLB Maualuga for 3 years
CBS Sports 1:49 PM
Hoyer on Manziel: 'It takes a big person to check into rehab'