Are joggers safe in Columbus?

Created by Oliver Canterberry on Oct 22, 2013

93 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#82 Nov 4, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
The solution is simple, family values of the sort that you see in a Christian sport like NASCAR where the competitors bring their children to victory lane and there are prayers to Jesus Christ before the races. However a Liberal like you despises our moral values and the fact that this is a Christian Nation (see the recent NASCAR race at Talladega).
Liberal communist collectivist policies have been disastrous for everyone with bigger and bigger government and more government employees abusing power and now the looming specter of evil Obama Care built on a foundation of lies.
Liberal policies such as building massive public housing projects, busing, war on drugs have only made things worse and you as a liberal are the reason the streets are unsafe for joggers.
War on drugs...such as Nancy Regan's "Just say no" campaign?

The streets aren't really unsafe. Thousands upon thousands of people go jogging every single day, all day, without incident. This was a freak occurrence. It's like saying flying is unsafe because there are occasional crashes despite the fact that thousands of flights take off and land safely every day. You're not using logic at all in your argument.

NASCAR? Really? A "sport" that uses up precious resources and requires people to drive in a circle? Not to mention when someone wrecks people get excited and crane their necks to see the chaos.

When you want to deny help to the poor and needy, I think you are devoid of moral values. That isn't what Christianity teaches you.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#83 Nov 4, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
Low income whites are not as violent as low income blacks.
When there were higher amounts of social capital (family ties, religion, work ethic) the power of the state was less.
The main conservative idea to get this back, is dismantling the welfare state, which will either result in the resumption of the old ways, or the self-destruction of the welfare class. "Sink or Swim"
The rest of your post expresses a bizarro world that does not resemble the contemporary world.
I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but can you provide a statistical resource that demonstrates your assertion that low-income blacks are more violent than low-income whites? And do not rely on prison populations because those are people who have been caught. I would like to know where you got the data that proves there is more violence within the poverty-stricken black community than the poverty-stricken white community.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#84 Nov 4, 2013
what_me_worry_ wrote:
<quoted text>
LMFAO...
Not word games little girl.......
Again as soon as the federal Government forces you to buy and drive a car,(SAFE OR UNSAFE) insure it and delegates the IRS to penalize you if you refuse you have a point.........
Until then your point is total BULLSHYTE....
What in the heck is so hard to understand about that??????????
As long as you have alternative options...walk ride a bike , take the bus etc. car insurance IS AN OPTION.....
Obamcare is not an option and contrary to your earlier claims,
OBAMACARE IS A TAX..........
You have a good point. People can choose not to have a car and find another means of transportation so they don't have to face the responsibility of being a bad driver or coming into contact with being a bad driver.

However, a person can't make that choice (unless they off themselves) about being a living, breathing, functioning body that not only may incur issues, but probably will and some of them possibly due to their own poor choices. When I pay for insurance, I'm already paying into a system that has to shell out money for people who are making choices that I don't necessarily agree with. I don't think Viagra should be covered by insurance, just as you don't think birth control for women should be covered. Except I realize that by allowing women to have access to birth control under ACA, there may be less abortions (hopefully).
crystalmondz

Taguig City, Philippines

#85 Nov 5, 2013
hi guys add me on skype crystalmondz

“Keep your policy period. LMAO”

Since: Sep 13

The 57th state

#86 Nov 5, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a good point. People can choose not to have a car and find another means of transportation so they don't have to face the responsibility of being a bad driver or coming into contact with being a bad driver.
However, a person can't make that choice (unless they off themselves) about being a living, breathing, functioning body that not only may incur issues, but probably will and some of them possibly due to their own poor choices. When I pay for insurance, I'm already paying into a system that has to shell out money for people who are making choices that I don't necessarily agree with. I don't think Viagra should be covered by insurance, just as you don't think birth control for women should be covered. Except I realize that by allowing women to have access to birth control under ACA, there may be less abortions (hopefully).
Are you on drugs?

LOL

Obama care was ruled a tax. You said it was not.

Insurance for a car is not mandated as you have the option to not drive a car.

Try to keep up OK
FACTS

London, KY

#87 Nov 5, 2013
what_me_worry_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you on drugs?
LOL
Obama care was ruled a tax. You said it was not.
Insurance for a car is not mandated as you have the option to not drive a car.
Try to keep up OK
The penalty for not having insurance has been ruled a tax. That ruling isn't on the entire health law.

“Seven Days In May”

Since: Oct 13

Hilliard, OH

#88 Nov 5, 2013
FACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The penalty for not having insurance has been ruled a tax. That ruling isn't on the entire health law.
Wrong, sockpuppet:

Full List of All Taxes in ObamaCare / All Taxes in the Affordable Care Act

The following list of new ObamaCare taxes collectively raise over $800 billion by 2022. Here is a complete list of new fees and taxes contained within ObamaCare:

ObamaCare Taxes That Most Likely Won't Directly Affect the Average American

2.3% Tax on Medical Device Manufacturers 2014

10% Tax on Indoor Tanning Services 2014

Blue Cross/Blue Shield Tax Hike

Excise Tax on Charitable Hospitals which fail to comply with the requirements of ObamaCare

Tax on Brand Name Drugs

Tax on Health Insurers

$500,000 Annual Executive Compensation Limit for Health Insurance Executives

Elimination of tax deduction for employer-provided retirement Rx drug coverage in coordination with Medicare Part D

Employer Mandate on business with over 50 full-time equivalent employees to provide health insurance to full-time employees.$2000 per employee $3000 if employee uses tax credits to buy insurance on the exchange (marketplace).(pushed back to 2015)

Medicare Tax on Investment Income 3.8% over $200k/$250k

Medicare Part A Tax increase of .9% over $200k/$250k

Employer Reporting of Insurance on W-2 (not a tax)

Corporate 1099-MISC Information Reporting (repealed)

Codification of the "economic substance doctrine" (not a tax)

ObamaCare Taxes That (may) Directly Affect the Average American

40% Excise Tax "Cadillac" on high-end Premium Health Insurance Plans 2018

An annual $63 fee levied by ObamaCare on all plans (decreased each year until 2017 when pre-existing conditions are eliminated) to help pay for insurance companies covering the costs of high-risk pools.

Medicine Cabinet Tax
Over the counter medicines no longer qualified as medical expenses for flexible spending accounts (FSAs), health reimbursement arrangements (HRAs), health savings accounts (HSAs), and Archer Medical Saving accounts (MSAs).

Additional Tax on HSA/MSA Distributions
Health savings account or an Archer medical savings account, penalties for spending money on non-qualified medical expenses. 10% to 20% in the case of a HSA and from 15% to 20% in the case of a MSA.

Flexible Spending Account Cap 2013
Contributions to FSAs are reduced to $2,500 from $5,000.

Medical Deduction Threshold tax increase 2013
Threshold to deduct medical expenses as an itemized deduction increases to 10% from 7.5%.

Individual Mandate (the tax for not purchasing insurance if you can afford it) 2014
Starting in 2014, anyone not buying "qualifying" health insurance must pay an income tax surtax at a rate of 1% or $95 in 2014 to 2.5% in 2016 on profitable income above the tax threshold. The total penalty amount cannot exceed the national average of the annual premiums of a "bronze level" health insurance plan on ObamaCare exchanges.
http://www.obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-taxes...
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#89 Nov 5, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
War on drugs...such as Nancy Regan's "Just say no" campaign?
The streets aren't really unsafe. Thousands upon thousands of people go jogging every single day, all day, without incident. This was a freak occurrence. It's like saying flying is unsafe because there are occasional crashes despite the fact that thousands of flights take off and land safely every day. You're not using logic at all in your argument.
NASCAR? Really? A "sport" that uses up precious resources and requires people to drive in a circle? Not to mention when someone wrecks people get excited and crane their necks to see the chaos.
When you want to deny help to the poor and needy, I think you are devoid of moral values. That isn't what Christianity teaches you.
Christianity teaches family values. I'm sure you did not watch the most recent NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway but the drivers had their wives and children with them - right on the track and the beginning of the race began with a prayer to Jesus Christ. At the event there was no crime or violence against persons, contrast that with Black run events that nearly always end in violence.

You are right in that jogging is safe with the caveat that young Black Males raised by Baby Mommas on welfare are public enemy number one. Notice that I did not say all Blacks, there are many wonderful Blacks of high moral standards like Walter Williams, Armstrong Williams, Clarence Thomas, Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, Herman Cain and many others so please don't try to insinuate that I am in the least bit discriminatory in my logic and analysis, Ms. Liberal MPNF.

“Keep your policy period. LMAO”

Since: Sep 13

The 57th state

#90 Nov 5, 2013
FACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
The penalty for not having insurance has been ruled a tax. That ruling isn't on the entire health law.
Well there ya go.........

This is what wizzes me off that ill informed folks like you are allowed to cancel out my fuguien vote........

Please, please . please get informed!!!!!!!!!!

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Hightstown, NJ

#91 Nov 6, 2013
what_me_worry_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you on drugs?
LOL
Obama care was ruled a tax. You said it was not.
Insurance for a car is not mandated as you have the option to not drive a car.
Try to keep up OK
Try to keep up? It seems you couldn't even understand what I wrote. I never said ACA wasn't a tax and I pointed out that car insurance is not mandated BECAUSE of the very reason you repeated.
Looks like you need to keep up a little yourself.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Hightstown, NJ

#92 Nov 6, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity teaches family values. I'm sure you did not watch the most recent NASCAR race at Texas Motor Speedway but the drivers had their wives and children with them - right on the track and the beginning of the race began with a prayer to Jesus Christ. At the event there was no crime or violence against persons, contrast that with Black run events that nearly always end in violence.
You are right in that jogging is safe with the caveat that young Black Males raised by Baby Mommas on welfare are public enemy number one. Notice that I did not say all Blacks, there are many wonderful Blacks of high moral standards like Walter Williams, Armstrong Williams, Clarence Thomas, Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, Herman Cain and many others so please don't try to insinuate that I am in the least bit discriminatory in my logic and analysis, Ms. Liberal MPNF.
Christianity also teaches things that aren't very nice. A lot of other religions teach family values as well. Family values and morals are not exclusive to Christianity.

You're right - I didn't watch that race, nor any other NASCAR race. Your beloved NASCAR racers are not free of issues. I'm sure you knew I would bring up the recent arrest of Kvapil...seems like he doesn't subscribe to these family values. Soccer is probably one of the most violent sports in terms of its fans and they are of every race.

The end of your post was pretty pathetic. Suck it up and behave like a man, not a young girl. There are plenty of young black males, on welfare, born to single mothers who are doing just fine. There are some young white males, born to middle or upper class families with both parents in the house who are not doing so well. Stereotypes are proof of ignorance.

“Keep your policy period. LMAO”

Since: Sep 13

The 57th state

#93 Nov 6, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Try to keep up? It seems you couldn't even understand what I wrote. I never said ACA wasn't a tax and I pointed out that car insurance is not mandated BECAUSE of the very reason you repeated.
Looks like you need to keep up a little yourself.
hmmmmm...

I have been wrong before and will readily it admit it when it happens.

It was the poster Day Star that claimed Obama care was not a tax.........

You jumped into my back and forth with her and I got my libs confused.......

sorry......
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#94 Nov 11, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity also teaches things that aren't very nice. A lot of other religions teach family values as well. Family values and morals are not exclusive to Christianity.
You're right - I didn't watch that race, nor any other NASCAR race. Your beloved NASCAR racers are not free of issues. I'm sure you knew I would bring up the recent arrest of Kvapil...seems like he doesn't subscribe to these family values. Soccer is probably one of the most violent sports in terms of its fans and they are of every race.
The end of your post was pretty pathetic. Suck it up and behave like a man, not a young girl. There are plenty of young black males, on welfare, born to single mothers who are doing just fine. There are some young white males, born to middle or upper class families with both parents in the house who are not doing so well. Stereotypes are proof of ignorance.
You did not read the end of my post where I cited many wonderful conservative Blacks with high moral values like Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, Armstrong Williams, Walter Williams, J.C. Watts and many others.

The Black family has been destroyed by the War on Poverty with the father replaced by food stamps and family values by Section 8 vouchers.

If you are out jogging and see a group of young Black Males approaching wouldn't you run for your life in the opposite direction?
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#95 Nov 11, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity also teaches things that aren't very nice. A lot of other religions teach family values as well. Family values and morals are not exclusive to Christianity.
You're right - I didn't watch that race, nor any other NASCAR race. Your beloved NASCAR racers are not free of issues. I'm sure you knew I would bring up the recent arrest of Kvapil...seems like he doesn't subscribe to these family values. Soccer is probably one of the most violent sports in terms of its fans and they are of every race.
The end of your post was pretty pathetic. Suck it up and behave like a man, not a young girl. There are plenty of young black males, on welfare, born to single mothers who are doing just fine. There are some young white males, born to middle or upper class families with both parents in the house who are not doing so well. Stereotypes are proof of ignorance.
Statistics not stereotypes.

Murder statistics prove my point and disprove yours.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#96 Nov 18, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not read the end of my post where I cited many wonderful conservative Blacks with high moral values like Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell, Armstrong Williams, Walter Williams, J.C. Watts and many others.
The Black family has been destroyed by the War on Poverty with the father replaced by food stamps and family values by Section 8 vouchers.
If you are out jogging and see a group of young Black Males approaching wouldn't you run for your life in the opposite direction?
I believe I had this conversation once with either you or someone else on here. I lived on the corner of Bryden and Linwood for a year. I came home one night and was alone in my car. As I parked, about five black guys surrounded my car - one at the front, one in the back on the driver side and the other three were on the passenger side. I decided to get out of my car and stand my ground. I was looking right into the eyes of the guy at the front of my car. For whatever reason, I decided to look up to the second level of my apartment and saw my landlady sitting on her porch. The man also looked up, looked back down at me and went on his way. Perhaps it was stupid of me to get out of my car, but the way I looked at it, if someone is going to do something to me, I'm not going down without a fight. If a group of men were running after me, and I had a weapon (which I sometimes do), I'm going to dial 911 on my phone while I'm running then do everything I can to make sure they aren't going to trap me and then scream bloody murder. There are no rights or wrongs in those situations...as my dad taught me, be aware of your surroundings, make sure you have some way of protecting yourself and never allow yourself to be taken from your location. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but I can tell you this - I wouldn't NOT do any of the same things I listed if it were a group of white guys chasing me.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#97 Nov 18, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Statistics not stereotypes.
Murder statistics prove my point and disprove yours.
Statistically, white males are more prone to mass shootings. For the most part, if you stay out of the hood, you're probably not going to encounter much of the urban violence that takes place between these people. Unfortunately we cannot say the same about unstable, mentally ill white men who have a higher propensity to go ape sh*t and shoot up malls, places of work, schools, movie theaters, etc.
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#98 Nov 18, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
Statistically, white males are more prone to mass shootings. For the most part, if you stay out of the hood, you're probably not going to encounter much of the urban violence that takes place between these people. Unfortunately we cannot say the same about unstable, mentally ill white men who have a higher propensity to go ape sh*t and shoot up malls, places of work, schools, movie theaters, etc.
True, but mass murder and serial killers are rare, or statistically rare in comparison to the numbers involved with young Black Males.
Oliver Canterberry

Columbus, OH

#99 Nov 18, 2013
Mpnf1979 wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe I had this conversation once with either you or someone else on here. I lived on the corner of Bryden and Linwood for a year. I came home one night and was alone in my car. As I parked, about five black guys surrounded my car - one at the front, one in the back on the driver side and the other three were on the passenger side. I decided to get out of my car and stand my ground. I was looking right into the eyes of the guy at the front of my car. For whatever reason, I decided to look up to the second level of my apartment and saw my landlady sitting on her porch. The man also looked up, looked back down at me and went on his way. Perhaps it was stupid of me to get out of my car, but the way I looked at it, if someone is going to do something to me, I'm not going down without a fight. If a group of men were running after me, and I had a weapon (which I sometimes do), I'm going to dial 911 on my phone while I'm running then do everything I can to make sure they aren't going to trap me and then scream bloody murder. There are no rights or wrongs in those situations...as my dad taught me, be aware of your surroundings, make sure you have some way of protecting yourself and never allow yourself to be taken from your location. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...but I can tell you this - I wouldn't NOT do any of the same things I listed if it were a group of white guys chasing me.
Excellent post and very inspiring.

There is hope for you.

I commend you for standing up to a group of thugs. That took courage - and no doubt surprised these young Blacks that a lone White female stood her ground, and that in a predominantly Black neighborhood.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#100 Nov 18, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
True, but mass murder and serial killers are rare, or statistically rare in comparison to the numbers involved with young Black Males.
That may have been true at one point, but I think mass murders are much more frequent than they ever have been and their death toll is higher in quantity and almost always takes away lives of innocent people. Urban crime, while tragic in itself, often involves people who are involved in crime - even as victims. I am in no way saying their lives are less valuable or they deserve to be murdered, but it's like going to war - you know there is a risk you could be cut down. People going to the mall or watching a movie or simply showing up to school shouldn't have to worry about being gunned down, but it is being a more frequent concern because white males are losing their sh*t.

“Ignorance is bliss.”

Since: May 11

Canal Winchester, OH

#101 Nov 18, 2013
Oliver Canterberry wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post and very inspiring.
There is hope for you.
I commend you for standing up to a group of thugs. That took courage - and no doubt surprised these young Blacks that a lone White female stood her ground, and that in a predominantly Black neighborhood.
As long as you acknowledge that I make no distinction between a group of white males chasing me and a group of black males chasing me. A threat is a threat and can be carried out by anyone of any color. I'm stubborn enough that it probably clouds my judgement because I figure if they're going to do something to me, I'm going to make it as difficult as possible. Self-defense classes are worth the money. I wish more women took them and learned how to defend themselves and use body language to show they are not an easy target.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Obama proudly kisses and hugs EBOLA staff 2 hr They cannot kill ... 5
Ebolapalooza 3 hr Zombie Corpse Rental 4
Lawyer booked on charges he stole from guardian... 3 hr Silna 14
Dewine putting campaign cash in own account! 4 hr Iknow 5
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 4 hr Neutral Party 3,944
Obama To Bring Non-American Ebola Victims To U.... 4 hr d pantz 5
Ebola! 6 hr They cannot kill ... 37
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus Jobs

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]