Ambulance driver guilty of license of...

Ambulance driver guilty of license offense

There are 13 comments on the The Columbus Dispatch story from Nov 14, 2012, titled Ambulance driver guilty of license offense. In it, The Columbus Dispatch reports that:

An ambulance driver who did not have a valid driver's license while on duty and involved in a fatal crash in September pleaded guilty to a traffic offense in Madison County Municipal Court yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Columbus Dispatch.

Thank God

Columbus, OH

#1 Nov 14, 2012
I would hope that Mr. Pickens has lost his job. Is this the type of person that should be employed to save lives?

First, drunk driving. How stupid can you be? He could have easily been the one getting sentenced to 16yrs for killing two people on route 142. Doesn't sound like a very intelligent person for the type of job he is required to do.

Second, he didn't inform anyone that his license wasn't valid, so drove illegally on the job. Should be an automatic firing.

People of West Jeff, take a hard look at how your tax money is being spent!
Babs

Valley City, OH

#2 Nov 14, 2012
"Picken was not at fault and was not charged in the crash."
He was working on getting his license reinstated, which it now is. The only thing he is guilty of is driving without a license while it was being processed. Maybe it would be better for him to sit at home, collect welfare and wait for the mail truck to arrive. Or maybe we will just send his bills to the goody-two-shoe people like Thank God who say he should be fired when he was not even at fault. People like you who look down their nose and point there finger at others make me sick. You think you are so special.
Thank God

Columbus, OH

#3 Nov 14, 2012
Um, sorry. Him not being at fault for the accident does not make him less guilty of driving with a suspended license. He still could have worked, he just couldn't be the one driving. And it is against the law.

And let's hope the next time he decides to drink and drive (which was the reason for his license suspension) that he has a head-on collision with Babs. Maybe that would wake you up to the seriousness of the situation.
Babs

Valley City, OH

#4 Nov 14, 2012
Thank God wrote:
Um, sorry. Him not being at fault for the accident does not make him less guilty of driving with a suspended license. He still could have worked, he just couldn't be the one driving. And it is against the law.
And let's hope the next time he decides to drink and drive (which was the reason for his license suspension) that he has a head-on collision with Babs. Maybe that would wake you up to the seriousness of the situation.
But drinking has nothing to do with this. It has to do with a woman who lost control of HER car. Him not having his license back yet was a non-issue. Until SHE lost control of HER vehicle and went head on into an emergency vehicle. Are you spokes woman for MADD? Sounds like you need a drink, ya twit.
Thank God

Columbus, OH

#5 Nov 14, 2012
No, you are the one who misunderstood my first posting. I was saying he should lose his job because he was doing something on the job that was illegal. Anyone, I don't care who you are, should lose their job if you are doing something illegal on the clock. And yes, that is an issue. Just as not having your car insured becomes an issue even if you were the one that got hit.

I know the drinking and driving conviction was not part of this. It was just my thought that someone who has a job where he is supposed to be out trying to save lives shouldn't be out doing something that could kill people on his off hours

And by the way, the lady who lost control suffered a seizure and had been fighting cancer for years. The accident was nobody's fault, just a tragic accident.
Stunned

Nebo, NC

#6 Nov 14, 2012
stunned
Tomboy

Columbus, OH

#7 Nov 14, 2012
Twit? My, does this person realize how stupid they sound? Doesn't look like "Babs" even bothered trying to understand the story.

I agree that he should lose his job, which he may have already, doesn't seem like anybody really knows. Can't drive if your legally not allowed to drive, especially on the job. That's the end of the story.
Babs

Valley City, OH

#8 Nov 14, 2012
Tomboy wrote:
Twit? My, does this person realize how stupid they sound? Doesn't look like "Babs" even bothered trying to understand the story.
I agree that he should lose his job, which he may have already, doesn't seem like anybody really knows. Can't drive if your legally not allowed to drive, especially on the job. That's the end of the story.
A woman had a seizure, went left of center and plowed head-on into an ambulance. The man driving the ambulance was in the process of putting his life back together after a bad choice of drinking and driving, for which nothing happened other he was caught. He was waiting on documentation for his license reinstatement, was gainfully employed and in the field to where he might be able to help someone in need. This was a very unfortunate accident, not caused by him, or alcohol but all you can focus on is a piss poor decision he made and is already paying his debt to society for and dearly. Now what is not understood?
Tomboy

Columbus, OH

#9 Nov 14, 2012
So are you saying that you think someone who does something illegal on the job shouldn't have to pay for their actions?

What if this was a doctor practicing without a license. Is that okay? Would you want that doctor? Or should he have to do things the right way like everyone else? All this guy had to do was be honest and allow someone else to drive. He didn't do that, and there are plenty of other people out there looking for a job who would follow the rules.
Babs

Valley City, OH

#10 Nov 14, 2012
Tomboy wrote:
So are you saying that you think someone who does something illegal on the job shouldn't have to pay for their actions?
What if this was a doctor practicing without a license. Is that okay? Would you want that doctor? Or should he have to do things the right way like everyone else? All this guy had to do was be honest and allow someone else to drive. He didn't do that, and there are plenty of other people out there looking for a job who would follow the rules.
Practicing medicine has nothing to do with it. A better comparison would be if was delivering pizzas for Pizza Hut (driving) and the same thing happened. Do you think Pizza hut would fire him? I dont know, maybe, maybe not. Now if he was drinking while driving the ambulance that would be an automatic termination but that is just not the case. And typically the one who causes the problem (going left of center) is held at fault. Perhaps she should have had someone else driving her considering her weakened condition.
Tomboy

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 14, 2012
I know we aren't agreeing Babs, but I'm enjoying the banter. Thank you for not getting "childish" on here, and providing good feedback.
Cause

Columbus, OH

#12 Dec 3, 2012
In reading this thread, I'm really surprised at the attitude that "Babs" took on the issue. First, no he was not at fault for the accident, but he was driving a county vehicle illegally. If he would have caused an accident, insurance would not cover that vehicle since he was unlicensed, and the taxpayers would have to pay for another vehicle. Any idea how expensive an ambulance is?

Second, why would he keep this information from his employer unless he knew it would cause problems to arise with his job? Why wouldn't he just let them know that he was unable to operate a vehicle until his license was reinstated? I would assume it's because he was trying to hide the fact that he had been convicted of a DUI. Most companies where driving is a part of your job do not allow more than two points on your license because it becomes too expensive to insure them. Yes, he was doing what was needed to have his license reinstated, but it had not happened yet.

Third, the comment about him "collecting welfare"...you do realize that whether employed or not that he is being paid by tax money don't you? So I don't really see why that makes a difference, unless you are trying to say that he should work for his money instead of sitting around. Well, that's a whole separate conversation. And we wouldn't have to worry about him collecting unemployment because he would have been fired for commiting an illegal act on the job.

Now, all this is just my opinion. The clear answer to this is just as "Tomboy" stated. If you are not LEGALLY allowed to drive, and driving is part of your job, and you DISREGARD THE GUIDELINES of your job along with what is stated by LAW, you should lose your job.
Shocked

Columbus, OH

#13 Oct 4, 2013
Thought this was a great thread. Anyone know what the outcome was with the driver of the ambulance not having a license?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bill Clinton And Loretta Lynch Meet 20 min Male 14
News City of Columbus issues nitrate warning for tap... 42 min rowdy01 6
Hillary's speech - thread is missing 1 hr Beentheredonethat 162
Where will you go if Topix goes 404? 2 hr Buba 26
News Columbus veteran, ousted for sexual orientation... 2 hr Duke for Mayor 28
Drumpf is Presidential? 2 hr Zeeba 23
News Chipotle adding chorizo at Columbus restaurants... 3 hr benghazi 11

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance