Comments
1 - 20 of 37 Comments Last updated Oct 3, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#1 Oct 2, 2013
The House of Representatives is currently passing small appropriations bills to restore funding to certain parts of the government — much like the one Obama signed the other day guaranteeing military pay. But the Democratic Senate and the White House say these are dead on arrival. Because even though the passage of such bills costs Republicans any leverage they thought they had against Obamacare, small bills will also harm the Democrats’ negotiating position as the “shutdown” has less and less effect on Americans’ lives.

In this clip, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., gets a taste of the same medicine Democrats have been dishing out in the Obamacare debate for years. Why, he is asked by CNN’s Dana Bash, will he not go forward if the House passes a bill restoring NIH funding so that about three dozen kids with cancer can get treatment right away?

Reid, looking a bit flummoxed, personally attacks Bash’s intelligence for asking the question.

(Video at the link)

Speaking of the House, Reid asks,“What right do they have to pick and choose what part of government’s going to be funded?”

There is actually an answer to this in the Constitution, in Article I, Section 9:

“No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law…”

Congress holds the power of the purse. As one of Congress’s two chambers, the House of Representatives has some power to decide which functions of government are funded.
- See more at: http://www.conservativeintel.com/2013/10/02/r...

“Where did I put my tiara?”

Since: Dec 11

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 2, 2013
Good gravy, let's spin this some more. Georgie, you are above poop like this. Admit to me that both sides are posturing with the debt ceiling, elections looming.

I think my favorite pundit phrase these days, with congress having a 10% approval rating, that 10% represents their friends and family.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Oct 2, 2013
So if someone is bleeding to death and the Republicans say, "Okay you can spend money to treat him." and the Dumbocrats say, "No, we won't approve of it unless you approve ObamaCare spending."

Somehow, this is John Boehner's fault?

And the Democrats are taking the high ground by letting the guy bleed to death?

George is correct. The Republicans are within their authority to shut down the government, consistent with their power of the purse. If there are certain essential functions that they agree to have reopened, and the Dumbocrats don't agree to reopen the NIH, whose fault is this?

Read through the history of this country. There are several occasions where laws have been defunded and the government was shut down.

It was shut down seven times during Reagan's administration.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#5 Oct 2, 2013
And again, what is wrong with a one year delay in the ObamaCare mandate where Barry is granting waivers right and left?

It is a perfectly reasonable compromise, especially in light of the fact that most people don't want this thing.

Hilliard, OH

#6 Oct 2, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
Good gravy, let's spin this some more. Georgie, you are above poop like this. Admit to me that both sides are posturing with the debt ceiling, elections looming.
I think my favorite pundit phrase these days, with congress having a 10% approval rating, that 10% represents their friends and family.
It's time the Demonrats learned what it's like to be on the receiving end...and Reid personally deserves it more than any one of them.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Oct 2, 2013
I'm just glad Boehner found his inner spine, thanks to Ted Cruz and the TEA Party. How long it will last, who knows? But for now he has one.

Let's hope Boehner finds his inner Vladimir Putin.

On CNN, someone said that 18 RINOs are ready to cave. I replied that it means that 18 RINOs are going to get primaried.
Blacklicks Only Poster

Reynoldsburg, OH

#8 Oct 2, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
Harry Reid is Killing Children for Political Gain
Good for him.

Children are easy to make and the making is fun too.

Columbus, OH

#9 Oct 2, 2013
Bobby, the problem I have with your talking points, Obamacare is in effect. Does it need tweaked? yeppers. Do people really know what they are stomping their feet at? nopers. Delaying implementation is not going to solve anything. The SCOTUS has upheld the program, ain't changing.

My opinion, Boehner afraid of losing his speaker of the house position. He's not running the show, Cruz and the like are. Let those balls drop Johnny boy.

Columbus, OH

#10 Oct 2, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>It's time the Demonrats learned what it's like to be on the receiving end...and Reid personally deserves it more than any one of them.
They are all idiots. Hope they are having fun as they drink and f-u-ck people's lives as they make "decisions".

Hilliard, OH

#11 Oct 2, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
Bobby, the problem I have with your talking points, Obamacare is in effect. Does it need tweaked? yeppers. Do people really know what they are stomping their feet at? nopers. Delaying implementation is not going to solve anything. The SCOTUS has upheld the program, ain't changing.
My opinion, Boehner afraid of losing his speaker of the house position. He's not running the show, Cruz and the like are. Let those balls drop Johnny boy.
When the people refuse to comply, businesses refuse to hire and the IRS runs wild with enforcement, Obamacare will be dead as a doornail.
I give it until 4-15-2015...max.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

#12 Oct 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
I'm just glad Boehner found his inner spine, thanks to Ted Cruz and the TEA Party. How long it will last, who knows? But for now he has one.
On CNN, someone said that 18 RINOs are ready to cave. I replied that it means that 18 RINOs are going to get primaried.
Have you seen his son in law?

Hilliard, OH

#13 Oct 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
I heard 12, 11 of whom are from three states: VA, PA and NY.

Columbus, OH

#14 Oct 2, 2013
Enzyte Bob wrote:
You are a silly, silly, boy.

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

#15 Oct 2, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>I heard 12, 11 of whom are from three states: VA, PA and NY.
I recall that a PA RINO, Shuster, has already drawn a legit challenge, and if he thinks he's done, it's go for broke RINO a la La Tourette

Columbus, OH

#16 Oct 2, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>When the people refuse to comply, businesses refuse to hire and the IRS runs wild with enforcement, Obamacare will be dead as a doornail.
I give it until 4-15-2015...max.
I disagree Georgie. Businesses, including the government have been hiring seasonal, part time close to full time for years; waaay before Obamacare.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#17 Oct 2, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
Okay, so it is well documented that employers are cutting hours. Over 3,000 employers have dumped employees from their health plans. And it is well documented that health care costs have gone up multitudes.

Last year I paid $283 a quarter for high deductible health insurance though anthem. It is now $201 a month ... they stopped billing quarterly. I have no serious medical problems other than the fact that I could lose 20 pounds.

Not a fly-by-night insurance company, by the way. Anthem.

Let's do the math.

201/month * 3 = 603

603 - 283 = 320

320 / 283 = 113% increase

And you say we should leave this trainwreck in place?

Why do you think people are getting laid off right and left? BECAUSE EMPLOYERS CAN'T AFFORD THE INCREASES.

Why do you think 60% of the jobs Barry created have been part time? BECAUSE EMPLOYERS CAN'T AFFORD THE INCREASES.

And you wonder why people are pissed off about this?

Ask someone who's lost their job and explain it was probably because of ObamaCare. Ask them how happy they are about it.

Most people don't pay for their own insurance (or pay only part) so they don't see this. But it is bad .. it is really bad.

Hilliard, OH

#18 Oct 2, 2013
GlitterSucks wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree Georgie. Businesses, including the government have been hiring seasonal, part time close to full time for years; waaay before Obamacare.
Since before 2009? Not to my recollection.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#19 Oct 2, 2013
P.S. As the costs have been increasing, people have been dropping their policies (they cant afford it). As people drop their policies, the percentage of people who get more out of their plan than they pay into it grows.

As healthy people drop out of these plans, the cost for those who remain grows.

Fact.

and Barry owns it.

Columbus, OH

#20 Oct 2, 2013
Still opining Georgie to make you think. Instead of just hating it and Obama, it ain't going away... Ask your wife what it is like to take care of people that still need care, but can't afford it. Example, someone comes into a SNF for rehab after a hip replacement, medicare only pays 100% for 20 days; then it goes down to 80% reimbursement with the balance the onus of the patient. People who need services are shocked. If the MD and ancillary services aren't willing to discharge, they are responsible for all costs. I am not saying I agree with obamacare, I don't have enough info as to how it works. Just saying, the system is broke, something needed to happen.
Enzyte Bob

Reynoldsburg, OH

#21 Oct 2, 2013
It's Fact, Not Anecdote, That ObamaCare Is Turning Us Into A Part-Time Nation

by Grace-Marie Turner, Contributor
I cover news on health care policy.

The Obama administration continues to discount the huge impact its health overhaul law is having in turning America into a part-time nation, calling reports anecdotal and not based on complete data.

To paraphrase Groucho Marx: Who are you going to believe? Me, or your own eyes?

An avalanche of “anecdotes” continues to pile up as workers across the country are having their hours cut and their health benefits slashed across a broad range of industries.

Loren Goodridge, the owner of 21 Subway franchises, says he has no choice but to cut the hours of his employees to 29 a week to avoid the law’s penalties.

The negative effects of the law reach the education industry as well. St. Petersburg College, a public university in Florida, is reducing the hours of 250 faculty members because the college says it cannot afford to provide them with health insurance.

Joseph Hansen, the president of the United Food and Commercial Workers Union that originally supported the law, says the health law will have a “tremendous impact as workers have their hours reduced and their incomes reduced.”

Bureau of Labor Statistics data show that the ratio of part-time to full-time jobs has completely flipped this year from historical trends. Last year, six full-time jobs were created for every one part time job. This year, only one full-time job is being created for every four new part-time jobs.

The shift to part-time has accelerated over the past several months because of the “look back” provision in ObamaCare that sets the baseline this year for the number of full-time workers a company employs to determine their compliance with the employer pay-or-play mandate.

The administration may have been trying to stop the damage when it announced in July it would delay for a year the reporting requirements for the health law’s employer mandate – the requirement that businesses with 50 or more employees provide health coverage that is acceptable to the government or pay a fine of $2,000 to $3,000 per employee per year.

The statute is very clear that the employer mandate is to take effect on January 1, 2014, not a year later as the White House now has directed. The House of Representatives was more than happy to give the administration legal authority to delay the employer mandate and passed legislation in July to make the delay legal. But, astonishingly, the president vowed to veto the legislation if it were to reach his desk – which it will not because Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid will not bring it up for a vote. The president would rather rewrite the law by administrative edict instead of following the Constitutional route of asking Congress to change it.

The damage is real, and the one-year delay is unlikely to have a significant impact on hiring. Businesses are not going to hire full-time workers for year or less only to have to fire them next year.

According to a survey by the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, 71% of small businesses say the health care law makes it harder to grow. One-half of small businesses that must comply with the employer mandate say they will either cut hours of full-time employees or replace them with part-time workers. Twenty four percent say they will reduce hiring to stay under 50 employees.

Not only is the law taking a toll on part-time workers, but it also is increasing costs for families. ObamaCare’s new health insurance tax alone will raise premiums by $8 billion next year, increasing an average family’s premium by more than $350.

And big businesses are being hit, too.

Continued ...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gracemarieturner/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
welfare nation 7 min Pope Che Reagan C... 5
Franklin County Court System 10 min evil in the courts 4
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 16 min Pope Che Reagan C... 30,476
RIP Joan Rivers 50 min They cannot kill ... 12
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 1 hr yikes 2,283
Abortion clinic vows to keep serving 1 hr Ms_Julie 13
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr scirocco 3,211
Where are all the original legacy posters? 13 hr Duke for Mayor 101
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••