Tests find traces of antibiotics in Scioto | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

When doctors diagnose serious bacterial infections in patients, they can prescribe a powerful antibiotic called Cipro.
Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Aug 16, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fiery buddha

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

while we scratch our heads and debate if there should be levels set or if these contaminants are affecting us or not, the ecosystems continue to degrade and be poisoned by modern living. ironically though, we can't poison our "pond out back" w/o poisoning ourselves.

will we ever wake up?
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Did they test for 'good' drugs?
Liddleguy

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Does this mean that instead of getting a prescription filled, we can just drink a glass of water? Will the city start charging more for the water and are Portsmouth residents healthier than we are?
Fear of the week

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Parts per trillion? The detectors are getting better at detecting nothing. Guess it's time to trot out the "super bug" boogieman again. Frogs with boobs and three-eyed fish are not something I lose sleep over.
River tonic

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Great. Thx for the info. So now I can save a few $$ on meds and just go scoop up a few pints of amber Scioto water when I need my next ABT fix. Cool.
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Fear of the week wrote:
Parts per trillion? The detectors are getting better at detecting nothing. Guess it's time to trot out the "super bug" boogieman again. Frogs with boobs and three-eyed fish are not something I lose sleep over.
Yes, yes, we all know how untroubled you are that pesticides, fecal matter, fertilizers, prescription drugs, and now antibiotics are in all of our streams and lakes. Bully for you, cupcake. So glad you choose not to care about the whole, and ONLY your most important self.
Like Grannys medicine

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

I lost my insurance coverage, so I guess if I get sick I'll just drink a little bit of river water for the cure.
Let's review...my van is parked down by the river..I'll be close if I do get sick....it's free..I just wonder what else this here magic water might cure?
STD's..unemployment...indigest ion from Taco Bell...all sorts of ailments.
No more prescriptions fer me...it river water or nothing else from now on.
Mike Fink...King of da River
Bubba

Chillicothe, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

I suggest that they flush tons of pot in Dublin and let it float downstream and "pollute" the water table and the drinking water in Columbus and everyone will get a free buzz and mellow out.
True Cost

Mount Victory, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

I know people are being sarcastic when they write about getting their meds by drinking the water, and it is quite possible that these trace amounts are not an issue for human health.

But what about the fish and wildlife that live in this water 24/7? That is much more worrisome.

Of course, the tiny amounts of pharmaceuticals in the water are a theoretical threat at this time. The manure and phosphorous-fed toxic algae taking over Ohio are real threats with real solutions.

Thanks again, Mr. Hunt, for your reporting on water issues in this state.
Ramsey

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

True Cost wrote:
I know people are being sarcastic when they write about getting their meds by drinking the water, and it is quite possible that these trace amounts are not an issue for human health.
But what about the fish and wildlife that live in this water 24/7? That is much more worrisome.
Of course, the tiny amounts of pharmaceuticals in the water are a theoretical threat at this time. The manure and phosphorous-fed toxic algae taking over Ohio are real threats with real solutions.
Sadly, I think we're being so sarcastic b/c we know nothing much changes on these things. I think this article, while well researched and written, is what, the 624th one that regurgitates the same depressing results- of ten years ago. Nobody does anything. No solutions. No clean up. No accountability. We just keep getting hammered with- more sad statistics. Desensitization might be a good word. Much as I'm with YOU on cleaning it 'all' up- it just NEVER seems to be a priority. OSU games "wins" and over the top salary's are the 'priority' of the day. So, you'll have to forgive our 'giving' up on all of it, so to speak.
Help its a Lawyer

Windsor, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Mark my words. With in 3 years there will be no more power boats at Griggs or O'Shawnessy. Homeowners on the river cannot transfer title to the buyer with a dock permit. It is just the beginning.

The EPA has known for years how polluted the Scioto River is. To use the City of Columbus public water for anything other than flushing your toilets is crazy.
Does it matter

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Why should we mark your words? Your wife did that & caught you in bed with the gas man.
Help its a Lawyer wrote:
Mark my words. With in 3 years there will be no more power boats at Griggs or O'Shawnessy. Homeowners on the river cannot transfer title to the buyer with a dock permit. It is just the beginning.
The EPA has known for years how polluted the Scioto River is. To use the City of Columbus public water for anything other than flushing your toilets is crazy.
KnotStandingStil l

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Ramsey wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly, I think we're being so sarcastic b/c we know nothing much changes on these things. I think this article, while well researched and written, is what, the 624th one that regurgitates the same depressing results- of ten years ago. Nobody does anything. No solutions. No clean up. No accountability. We just keep getting hammered with- more sad statistics. Desensitization might be a good word. Much as I'm with YOU on cleaning it 'all' up- it just NEVER seems to be a priority. OSU games "wins" and over the top salary's are the 'priority' of the day. So, you'll have to forgive our 'giving' up on all of it, so to speak.
Actually, the situation is only going to worsen with the election of the right-wing anti-regulation crowd. They think this planet is their toilet, and as long as they can make an easy buck by dumping crap and pesticides willy-nilly, then that's all that matters!
Ramsey

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the situation is only going to worsen with the election of the right-wing anti-regulation crowd. They think this planet is their toilet, and as long as they can make an easy buck by dumping crap and pesticides willy-nilly, then that's all that matters!
Agreed. At least as far as Ohia goes. My old residence, for years. I think it's why I get so pissed about it, still wanting to rant and rave as I watch it allowed to slowly go down the proverbial sewer (circling the drain). I cannot tell you the difference of action- between here (NC) and there (Ohio). We're actually now more PRO active than Ohio- and we're in- the SOUTH on this kind of Scioto contamination stuff. WE actually ACT on first warning. Ohio- still entrenched in some kind of unfortunate political mindset- whatever it is these days. Good luck. I still have friends and family there. Sad.
Fear of the week

Reynoldsburg, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, we 4.5% of the total planetary population have such a negative effect on our dear Mother, Earth.

http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html
JSR

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

As you sit around and joke about getting your antibiotics from the river, as if low doses of medicine in the water are so insignificant as to be laughable, it might be useful to know how low dose estrogens in the water affect fish. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
5 is too many

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

True Cost wrote:
What about the black people who fish off rte 33. Will eating the fish they catch make them healthier?
gobuckswhileturn ing

Portsmouth, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

Who cares? I like being ignerent cause I dont gotta lern nuthin.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

KnotStandingStill wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. All you have to do is listen to their rhetoric and it is jobs at any cost. If it were up to them we would all be living in a third world country drinking pee water since clean water and air cost something. If Kasich gets elected, I guarantee you that there will be many people who vote for him, then when the regulations that protect air and water get rolled back those same people are going to be up in arms.

Funny thing is that a healthy, safer environment actually creates more jobs not less.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 17, 2010

Judged:

DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
I guarantee you that there will be many people who vote for him, then when the regulations that protect air and water get rolled back those same people are going to be up in arms
Kind of like the people who got duped into voting for obama are feeling right about now.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Morning Roundup: Sears could close even more st... 26 min NoOneRewarded 1
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 28 min Finally Some inte... 2,272
In Ferguson, Missouri, different kinds of prote... 52 min They cannot kill ... 2
Need help 56 min Chick 1
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 30,248
Do you agree with Obama's plan to fundamentally... 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 231
Columbus man gets 37-year sentence for rape, ot... 1 hr Oliver Canterberry 1
ISIS beheads James Foley 4 hr Buckeye at Birth 91

Search the Columbus Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search