Ohio Highway Patrol Epic Fail (Let East Side Murderers Go)

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Jun 13

Hilliard, OH

#1 Jul 27, 2013
State trooper gave ride to murder suspects before carjacking
Patrol says standard patdown and check apparently were omitted

The State Highway Patrol has confirmed that a state trooper picked up the two Columbus teens suspected in a near-fatal shooting and carjacking in Madison County just minutes before the shooting and, apparently, had dropped the suspects off at the TA truck stop where the incident occurred.

Lt. Anne Ralston of the patrol said standard operating procedure would be for a trooper to pat down anyone being given a ride — and run their names through state databases — and it would appear that wasn’t done early today.

Within five minutes of the trooper dropping off the suspects — who are believed to be Devonere Simmonds and his friends, Nathaniel Brunner — one of the two teens is suspected of firing a shot into the head of a man pumping gas and taking his car.

“This is a very serious situation and we are investigating it thoroughly,” Ralston said.

Other authorities said the two men had been walking along the interstate ramp at Rt. 42 and I-70 near the truck stop and that’s where the state trooper had contact with them.

Madison County sheriff Jim Sabin said he believes that the two suspects wanted out of a shooting and carjacking at a truck stop on I-70 this morning are the two suspects that Columbus Police are looking for in a number of crimes this week, including at least one homicide.

Sabin said everyone is looking for Devonere Simmonds, 17, and his friend, Nathaniel Brunner, 18, both of Columbus.

They have not been charged in this morning’s Madison County shooting but Sabin said it is critical to get the information out that authorities believe the two may have been involved.

Columbus Police were at the scene this morning in Madison County.

There has been a manhunt all week for Simmonds, who is charged in the shooting death Wednesday of Imran Ashgar, 34, at the Convenient Plus Food Mart at 1475 E. Livingston Ave., after he was identified in surveillance video of the incident, police said.

Late last night, authorities charged Brunner with that same shooting death.
http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local...

Hilliard, OH

#2 Jul 27, 2013
They got them in Dayton...sadly, they took them alive:

Sources say the two Columbus teens wanted on homicide charges and suspected in a Madison County shooting and carjacking this morning are in custody in Dayton.

The sources say the teens were arrested by the Montgomery County sheriff’s office and held by Dayton police.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#4 Jul 27, 2013
It would have been cool if they had carjacked the trooper's cruiser.

Hilliard, OH

#5 Jul 27, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
It would have been cool if they had carjacked the trooper's cruiser.
I'm surprised they didn't...the trooper was certainly stupid enough to let it happen.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#6 Jul 27, 2013
This officer should be named and shamed.
Epic failure.

Location hidden

#8 Jul 27, 2013
My bet is this was a black trooper giving some brothas a ride.
Absolutely cannot believe this incident.

That the teens didn't run is surprising; that they climbed into a patrol car is amazing.
That the officer didn't follow protocol -- or act aware of the bulletin out on these two criminals -- is pathetic.

Hilliard, OH

#9 Jul 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
This officer should be named and shamed.
Epic failure.
Named, shamed and terminated. This is right up there with the trooper who blew off the DUI illegal Mexican with the Delaware County deputies last summer. Add in the sex scandals, the 147 mph motorcycle races, the targeting of motorists in city neighborhoods, the killing of civilians by OHP cruisers on wet roads...what sort of organization is the OHP? Not one to be proud of at all.

Hilliard, OH

#12 Jul 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
My bet is this was a black trooper giving some brothas a ride.
Absolutely cannot believe this incident.
That the teens didn't run is surprising; that they climbed into a patrol car is amazing.
That the officer didn't follow protocol -- or act aware of the bulletin out on these two criminals -- is pathetic.
"Other authorities said the two men had been walking along the interstate ramp at Rt. 42 and I-70 near the truck stop and that’s where the state trooper had contact with them."

Because that's a common place to see two teenage black hoodniks at 4:40 AM in Madison County, right? Probably hitchhiking to Farmer Brown's to bring in the hay before the rain...yeah, that's the ticket.

Hilliard, OH

#13 Jul 27, 2013
I hope the guy from Virginia survives well enough to enjoy the millions he's going to collect from the State of Ohio.

Location hidden

#14 Jul 27, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>
"Other authorities said the two men had been walking along the interstate ramp at Rt. 42 and I-70 near the truck stop and that’s where the state trooper had contact with them."
Because that's a common place to see two teenage black hoodniks at 4:40 AM in Madison County, right? Probably hitchhiking to Farmer Brown's to bring in the hay before the rain...yeah, that's the ticket.
Exactly. Makes no sense at all.
It's beyond dereliction of duty.

Hilliard, OH

#15 Jul 27, 2013
According to the Madison County sheriff’s office, the victim’s name is William Joseph Rudd of Virginia. He is in surgery this afternoon in a Columbus hospital.

Refreshing to finally see timely information from a law enforcement agency.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#16 Jul 27, 2013
Wow, this is bad.

Heads must roll at the top.
Anon

Columbus, OH

#18 Jul 27, 2013
Come on now everyone, the state trooper was just being PC, he didn't want to offend the blacks or liberals by patting the two black suspects down. God forbid we mistake these two angels and have another Trayvon Martin incident on our hands..

Location hidden

#19 Jul 27, 2013
"...The patrol, meanwhile, is investigating the involvement of Sgt. Jeff Shane, a 29-year veteran, said Lt. Anne Ralston, a patrol spokeswoman.

She said troopers are supposed to pat down anyone being given a courtesy ride and run their names through the state Law Enforcement Automated Data System, or LEADS. That apparently did not happen this morning, she said.

He has been placed on desk duty during the investigation, Ralston said...."

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#21 Jul 27, 2013
As usual, no nationwide outrage when a couple of scumbag thugs shoot and rob someone.

Hilliard, OH

#23 Jul 27, 2013
-tip- wrote:
"...The patrol, meanwhile, is investigating the involvement of Sgt. Jeff Shane, a 29-year veteran, said Lt. Anne Ralston, a patrol spokeswoman.
She said troopers are supposed to pat down anyone being given a courtesy ride and run their names through the state Law Enforcement Automated Data System, or LEADS. That apparently did not happen this morning, she said.
He has been placed on desk duty during the investigation, Ralston said...."
29 years...so he leaves five or six months ahead of retirement, collects his pension while that poor guy from Virginia, if he lives, may be harmed for life.
Yeah, that's fair.../sarc

Location hidden

#24 Jul 27, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
As usual, no nationwide outrage when a couple of scumbag thugs shoot and rob someone.
Heck, they killed a 17-year old friend named Lamont...and not a single march has been organized.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#25 Jul 27, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
<quoted text>29 years...so he leaves five or six months ahead of retirement, collects his pension while that poor guy from Virginia, if he lives, may be harmed for life.
Yeah, that's fair.../sarc
Where's the outrage machine to get charges on this cop. It worked for Zimmerman
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#26 Jul 27, 2013
Diamond Eugene wrote:
/sarc
Huh.
every troll here but you

Reynoldsburg, OH

#28 Jul 27, 2013
Oh well, sh*t happens. What you gonna do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 1 hr Pale Rider 4,780
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 1 hr So What 325
chanukah hanukkah day 2 3 hr Free Pizza 4 U 5
Boko Haram kidnaps 172 MORE women and girls!!! 3 hr what_me_worry_ 2
Afghanistan's dirty little secret 3 hr what_me_worry_ 3
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 3 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 28
Another Epic Obama Accomplishment 3 hr They cannot kill ... 13
Public Flogging 6 hr Support 14
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 6 hr Dusty Rhodes 261
Columbus Dating