Must Read: Unions Lose Big In Michigan.

Posted in the Columbus Forum

First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#1 Dec 8, 2012
CHANGE: Unions Lose Big In Michigan.

There are three big points to note about this unfolding story. For the past fifty years it was almost unthinkable that Michigan, home of America’s auto industry and one of the most pro-labor states in the country, would join right-to-work states. At the very least, this story seriously undercuts the narrative that America has turned decisively left under Obama.

Also worth noting is the fact that public-sector unions have significantly less support than their private-sector counterparts. Although Lansing passed right-to-work bills covering both types of unions, the bill covering public-sector unions only managed four votes against—a small minority of even the Democrats. The vote for the bill protecting private-sector unions was much closer. There could not be a more telling illustration of the deep trouble facing the public union movement.

As in Wisconsin, this is the beginning of the story rather than the end.

Stay tuned.

UPDATE: Reader Geoff Bowden writes:“Actually this is wrong. The vote was different because all the Democrats walked out. The same 4 Republicans voted against both bills and the same 22 voted for them both.”
anonymous

Akron, OH

#3 Dec 10, 2012
All this repuke governor has done is to awaken a sleeping giant. It did not work with Kasich and will not work with Snyder. All these paid for politicians of the Koch Brothers and ALEC can rot in Hell. There will be a counter punch to the effort to eliminate workers rights. The gloves are off. Walker in Wisconsin, another toady of the Koch Brothers and ALEC Tried to destroy collective bargainning in his state with the help of the billionaire olygarch's money. All of these toadies of big business and the olygarch should pick up a history book and look up the French and Russian revolutions. It sure got ugly back then. If these bought and paid for political flunkies of big business and the olygarchs push too far against the rights of workers IT COULD HAPPEN HERE!

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#6 Dec 10, 2012
anonymous wrote:
All this repuke governor has done is to awaken a sleeping giant. It did not work with Kasich and will not work with Snyder. All these paid for politicians of the Koch Brothers and ALEC can rot in Hell. There will be a counter punch to the effort to eliminate workers rights. The gloves are off. Walker in Wisconsin, another toady of the Koch Brothers and ALEC Tried to destroy collective bargainning in his state with the help of the billionaire olygarch's money. All of these toadies of big business and the olygarch should pick up a history book and look up the French and Russian revolutions. It sure got ugly back then. If these bought and paid for political flunkies of big business and the olygarchs push too far against the rights of workers IT COULD HAPPEN HERE!
Let them get violent. It will simply kill the union movement even faster. BTW, since most union members are public sector office drones, what are they going to do? Staple us to death?

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#8 Dec 10, 2012
Small Lost Cleavie wrote:
<quoted text>
Divert your welfare check to the Hillary Clinton Campaign as a heart felt contribution.
I'll divert a portion of my 401(k) contribution to groups that will ensure your starvation.
anonymous

Akron, OH

#10 Dec 10, 2012
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
And look here folks, a communist
I am not a communist. I just despise flunkies of olygarchs and corporations turning this country into a 3rd world rathole.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#14 Dec 10, 2012
I have to agree with Mr. Obama on this one. In his speech tonight he stated to the effect of "workers will have the right to work for less money".
Enzyte Bob

Columbus, OH

#16 Dec 10, 2012
THIS MAY BE WHY RIGHT-TO-WORK PASSED EVEN IN MICHIGAN:“According to union documents,‘representational activities’(money spent on bargaining contracts for members) made up only 11 percent of total spending for the union. Meanwhile, spending on ‘general overhead’(union administration and employee benefits) comprised of 61 percent of the total spending.”

http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/18...

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#18 Dec 10, 2012
Hey, if unions are so great, why would they have to FORCE people to join?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#19 Dec 11, 2012
TonyD2 wrote:
Hey, if unions are so great, why would they have to FORCE people to join?
Its called a "closed shop". Members are all eligible for the same benefits. Ie:Insurance, vacations, etc.
anonymous

Akron, OH

#20 Dec 11, 2012
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
Reality is a bit simpler.
The unions spent 10 million dollars to get Proposal 2 on the ballot in November. Proposal 2 gave unions privileged status in the MI state constitution.
Proposal 2 lost.
Snyder said that if the unions didn't put it on the ballot that he would not support RTW.
They didn't listen and tried to ban RTW without another amendment process.
They fought the bull and got the horns.
Don't piss off "ONE TOUGH NERD-President 2016"
I would hate to be your "tough nerd" and have to look over my shoulder all of the time if he passes this "right to work for less"piece of crap legislation. I hope you are not the real Karl Monday for his own sake!

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#21 Dec 11, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Its called a "closed shop".
I know what it's called.
Members are all eligible for the same benefits. Ie:Insurance, vacations, etc.
So what? Aren't unions in favor of improving working conditions for ALL workers? Or are you implying that their motives may not be so pure? And if I am a superior worker, why should I be limited to what the union negotiated? Why can't I negotiate for myself? Or would that hurt the feelings of the mediocre worker who has seniority?

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#22 Dec 11, 2012
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what it's called.
<quoted text>
So what? Aren't unions in favor of improving working conditions for ALL workers? Or are you implying that their motives may not be so pure? And if I am a superior worker, why should I be limited to what the union negotiated? Why can't I negotiate for myself? Or would that hurt the feelings of the mediocre worker who has seniority?
What if you were the worker being passed over for a pay increase or added benefits? Would you tell yourself "I understand, I'm a mediocre worker and don't deserve what everyone else is getting"? I don't think so.
anonymous

Akron, OH

#23 Dec 11, 2012
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know what it's called.
<quoted text>
So what? Aren't unions in favor of improving working conditions for ALL workers? Or are you implying that their motives may not be so pure? And if I am a superior worker, why should I be limited to what the union negotiated? Why can't I negotiate for myself? Or would that hurt the feelings of the mediocre worker who has seniority?
There is one major flaw in your assumptions of so called superior workers vs inferior workers and that is that in many non union establishments people are not promoted on their knowledge or abilitities but on WHO they know, brown nose or sleep with. A union shop levels the playing field when it comes to merit versus who knows who.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#24 Dec 11, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
What if you were the worker being passed over for a pay increase or added benefits? Would you tell yourself "I understand, I'm a mediocre worker and don't deserve what everyone else is getting"? I don't think so.


I don't have that problem... so sorry that you do. My only concern is that I am being treated fairly, not what someone else is being paid (It's none of my business). If I thought I wasn't being treated fairly, I'd leave.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#25 Dec 11, 2012
anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>There is one major flaw in your assumptions of so called superior workers vs inferior workers and that is that in many non union establishments people are not promoted on their knowledge or abilitities but on WHO they know, brown nose or sleep with.
Yeah, that's often used as an excuse by inferior workers to make themselves feel better. Your flaw is that you think it's your business to know someone else's compensation. The point is whether or not YOU'RE being treated fairly, not how someone else was promoted. If you think you're underpaid, and you don't leave for greener pastures, you're most likely overpaid.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#26 Dec 11, 2012
Oh, and you've tried to explain why a person might want to join a union, not why the union should be able to force people to join.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#29 Dec 11, 2012
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't have that problem... so sorry that you do. My only concern is that I am being treated fairly, not what someone else is being paid (It's none of my business). If I thought I wasn't being treated fairly, I'd leave.
Sorry, I don't buy your rationale. If someone new comes in and is being paid half again as much as you because he is the boss's drinking/golfing buddy, you can bet your ass you'd be peeved about it. I don't have "that problem". I've been retired since April of this year.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#30 Dec 11, 2012
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I don't buy your rationale. If someone new comes in and is being paid half again as much as you because he is the boss's drinking/golfing buddy, you can bet your ass you'd be peeved about it.
Other people's income is not my obsession. I have no "right" to demand such knowledge with the possible exception of public employees. You should get some help for that envy problem.

And yet again you've avoided the question that if unions are so great, why should they have to force people to join. I mean, brand A bread might be more nutritious than brand B bread, but nobody is trying to force people to buy only brand A bread.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#31 Dec 11, 2012
Look at today's sub-human union goon action in Lansing:

&li st=SP85933DBA7E52B5B6

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#33 Dec 11, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
Look at today's sub-human union goon action in Lansing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =u_F3oev06i0XX&list=SP8593 3DBA7E52B5B6
I predict the violence is just getting started.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
North Korea 9 min Oliver Canterberry 11
What ails the black family? Hard realities! 19 min What is wrong 110
Gambling in Ohio Must Be Done Responsibly (Feb '12) 23 min Brice N Livingston 19
America needs Jesus Christ and the Word of God 1 hr d pantz 58
INJUSTICE….for sure! 1 hr RU_Kiddingme 36
Pam BizzyBee Linda Catman and all other nice pe... 1 hr RU_Kiddingme 93
They all look alike! 2 hr filthy obamas 2
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:50 am PST

NFL 8:50AM
Josh McCown: I want to help Manziel as much as I can
CBS Sports 2:08 PM
Josh McCown signing with Browns puts Bills in tough spot at QB
Bleacher Report 3:30 AM
Bengals' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Browns' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency
ESPN 9:25 AM
McCown expects to start at QB for Browns