of 4
Next Last

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#72 Aug 17, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Pigs feet are delicious,especially in spaghetti sauce. The flavor is scrumptious!
When the kids were little, I had to hide them from the kids...they never knew but I told them as they grew older.
I think it's what you grew up with to develop a taste for certain foods.
Christmas Eve, our tradition is fish....Calamari,shrimp,cod fish,lobster,and back in the day, eel and smelts.
Every family and ethnics have their own special traditions, and a lot of the traditions came from Europe,from our great grandparents and grandparents.
Every year, I try to keep most on the menu but as the kids get older and marry out of the circle, we sort of had to change it up and add American foods to the menu.
Which is fine!!!!!
Ok, you can have your pigs feet. My mom loved those. Yuck. I'll keep my roast lamb LOL. Lamb chops, good, but too small for good eats.

I grew up very near Lake Erie, so am familiar with smelts. Many years ago, when I was working in Dayton, a native from India was one of our technicians for a project we had that was located located in Ottawa County. We went there to work and took him to dinner after we visited with the clients. The restaurant had fried smelts on the menu. We were pigging down on them and washing down with cold beer. I didn't think twice about it--it was familiar to me. But the Indian guy turned green and got sick, I won't describe what happened to him when we got back to our cars. Lake Erie food didn't agree with him much.

And I adore calamari. There's a Mediterranean restaurant on Hilliard-Rome Road that serves the best I've had locally.

“THE GANG”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#73 Aug 17, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, you can have your pigs feet. My mom loved those. Yuck. I'll keep my roast lamb LOL. Lamb chops, good, but too small for good eats.
I grew up very near Lake Erie, so am familiar with smelts. Many years ago, when I was working in Dayton, a native from India was one of our technicians for a project we had that was located located in Ottawa County. We went there to work and took him to dinner after we visited with the clients. The restaurant had fried smelts on the menu. We were pigging down on them and washing down with cold beer. I didn't think twice about it--it was familiar to me. But the Indian guy turned green and got sick, I won't describe what happened to him when we got back to our cars. Lake Erie food didn't agree with him much.
And I adore calamari. There's a Mediterranean restaurant on Hilliard-Rome Road that serves the best I've had locally.
Calamari is wonderful! If I made spaghetti sauce with pigs feet and took them out before serving you would love the sauce.....I had to do that when the kids were growing up.....lol
Now it makes me want to buy some.......but where? Can't find them so easily anymore. There's stores around I'm sure that sell them.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#74 Aug 17, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Calamari is wonderful! If I made spaghetti sauce with pigs feet and took them out before serving you would love the sauce.....I had to do that when the kids were growing up.....lol
Now it makes me want to buy some.......but where? Can't find them so easily anymore. There's stores around I'm sure that sell them.
I think my mom got pickled pigs feet when we were little from a Polish butcher that run a store in our hood. It was right up there with pickled herring that she ate in the ick factor to me.

I have never heard of spaghetti sauce with pork, must be a secret recipe. I'm sure I'd eat it and enjoy it since I love pasta dishes.

“THE GANG”

Location hidden

#75 Aug 18, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
I think my mom got pickled pigs feet when we were little from a Polish butcher that run a store in our hood. It was right up there with pickled herring that she ate in the ick factor to me.
I have never heard of spaghetti sauce with pork, must be a secret recipe. I'm sure I'd eat it and enjoy it since I love pasta dishes.
Spaghetti sauce is versatile .You can, add of course, meatballs,(beef,pork and veal mixture),pork ribs,leftover steak, braciole,(steak with a cheese and breadcrumb filling,rolled and tied), chicken.
The flavors are mouth watering.....try it , you'll like it.

Oh brother.....now I'm hungry.....

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#76 Aug 18, 2013
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Used to be, you could buy pickled pig's feet in jars at Kroger or any other big name grocery store. I remember trying them at my grandmother's house, but my mom wouldn't touch them. Pickled herring? None for me thank you, I tried it once.

“THE GANG”

Location hidden

#77 Aug 18, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Used to be, you could buy pickled pig's feet in jars at Kroger or any other big name grocery store. I remember trying them at my grandmother's house, but my mom wouldn't touch them. Pickled herring? None for me thank you, I tried it once.
Actually, picketed herring is delicious packed in sour cream. Whole new flavor.
Have you tried escargo? Had it in a puff pastry and was tasty!
I try not to eat anything from endangered species, shark and turtle.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#78 Aug 18, 2013
BizzyBee wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, picketed herring is delicious packed in sour cream. Whole new flavor.
Have you tried escargo? Had it in a puff pastry and was tasty!
I try not to eat anything from endangered species, shark and turtle.
Yep, had escargot in Myrtle Beach once. I wasn't impressed, it was like garlicky rubber bands. Grilled shark is the best, had that in Destin Fla. a few times. If you ever make it over that way, hit up Harbor Docks. http://www.harbordocks.com/

“THE GANG”

Location hidden

#79 Aug 18, 2013
rowdy01 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, had escargot in Myrtle Beach once. I wasn't impressed, it was like garlicky rubber bands. Grilled shark is the best, had that in Destin Fla. a few times. If you ever make it over that way, hit up Harbor Docks. http://www.harbordocks.com/
I go to Myrtle Beach often.Also the outer banks
Thanks for the tip.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U.S. Does Damage Control After Defense Chief's ... 10 min BizzyBee II 2
George Soros funded Ferguson Protests 7 hr Duke for Mayor 3
Cleveland Cop Found NOT GUILTY In Deadly 2012 S... 7 hr Duke for Mayor 12
Al Sharpton coming to Cleveland...... 7 hr Duke for Mayor 39
Americans with direct links to ISIS 8 hr shanikwah university 22
NAACP calls for calm in Cleveland 9 hr Ken's brother Ryu 24
Columbus Communist Festival 9 hr Male 5
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE