AEP critics: Extra charges no smallchange | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 5 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 27, 2011, titled AEP critics: Extra charges no smallchange | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

A proposed rate increase by American Electric Power is bloated and unnecessary, according to a wide array of critics filing testimony yesterday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Sharon Columbus

Columbus, OH

#2 Jul 27, 2011
Any consumer of the utilities used by Ohio residents who believe PUCO will NOT grant AEP their request......Stand in the middle of Broad & High Street not in the middle of a crosswalk! See how long your life will last.

Same for those rates: remember folks these corporations are existing to make profits and I don't mean marginal ones either. They have Board of Directors/Senior Executive Staff who need those 6 figured salaries and bonuses!

Slowly your money is flying away and there is zero anyone can do to stop or eliminate. Gosh maybe I should buy an acre of land and live in a tent??
Jake

United States

#3 Jul 27, 2011
What is the problem? There is not enough competition because electricity rates in Ohio are too low. Yet the PUCO and OCC complain that we need more competition. Sounds like electricity is a pretty good deal here compared to other places where competitors are able to make money. By the way, remember the very recent study about competition with natural gas suppliers where people who switched to marketers paid more than if they had stayed with Columbuia Gas? The utility commission should stop wasting time and money trying to bring competition for gas and electric service to Ohio where it does not make sense.

Since: Jun 10

Canal Winchester, OH

#4 Jul 27, 2011
AEP Management has responsibility to the shareholders, NOT the ratepayers.
PUCO is the referee in the middle, assisted by the court system.
In the AEP may not get your electric generation payment, but they will get paid for those poorly maintained power delivery services.
Just don't let them off the hook because they'll just keep coming back.
rcre

Westerville, OH

#6 Jul 27, 2011
Jake- The electric utilities are now no more than unregulated monopolies. You are correct that the concept of "competition" for gas and electric service is a joke and not needed. However, the utilities are making record profits and do not need more of my money. Even if the rates of certain Ohio utilities are low compared to SOME rates in SOME states, the profit margins are higher. I'm not against businesses make large profits but every rate increase imposed by the PUCO means I am OBLIGATED to contribute to the electric utilities' profits. The utilities are the only businesses in the US who are guaranteed to make a great return on their investments - both by law and by the lack of oversight of the PUCO. The PUCO, however, has NEVER required a company to lower its rates because it is making excessive profits. You see, the electric utilities have NEVER been denied a requested rate increase. All the PUCO does, occasionally, is lower the amount of the requested increase. The ratepayers always lose.
Rob

Grove City, OH

#7 Jul 27, 2011
I guess the new increases effective with the latest bill (I got mine yesterday ... a total of more than $9 in fee increases) weren't enough for AEP's greedy owners.

Gotta love the utilities. Nowhere else can you get nothing for something. Yes, I said that right. For example, use no natural gas and you still get charged $25.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
George Soros funded Ferguson Protests 4 hr Duke for Mayor 3
Cleveland Cop Found NOT GUILTY In Deadly 2012 S... 4 hr Duke for Mayor 12
Al Sharpton coming to Cleveland...... 4 hr Duke for Mayor 39
Americans with direct links to ISIS 5 hr shanikwah university 22
NAACP calls for calm in Cleveland 6 hr Ken's brother Ryu 24
Columbus Communist Festival 6 hr Male 5
U.S. Does Damage Control After Defense Chief's ... 7 hr BizzyBee II 1
Brelo not guilty 10 hr Linda 54
More from around the web

Columbus People Search