“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1873 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
What everyone should be asking themselves? When is John Boehner going to step down, let someone lead the House?
He is nothing but a total drag on America, from going forward.
You're going to love Jim Jordan!

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1874 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
What everyone should be asking themselves? When is John Boehner going to step down, let someone lead the House?
He is nothing but a total drag on America, from going forward.
You get Harry Reid to step aside and you might see some progress.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1875 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
What everyone should be asking themselves? When is John Boehner going to step down, let someone lead the House?
He is nothing but a total drag on America, from going forward.
It's a toss-up.

Boehner is certainly lackluster.

The big question is whether anyone can get the Tea Party to do anything constructive.
Pale Rider

AOL

#1876 Dec 29, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You get Harry Reid to step aside and you might see some progress.
Why do you say that? He is a Great American. Harry is our President right hand man. Bonehead is a thorn in Obama, and all of the good things he wants to get done for America.

Omama however is making some stupid mistakes trying to fill his cabinet. Who would make a good Secretary of Defence? John McCain?

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1877 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say that? He is a Great American. Harry is our President right hand man. Bonehead is a thorn in Obama, and all of the good things he wants to get done for America.
Omama however is making some stupid mistakes trying to fill his cabinet. Who would make a good Secretary of Defence? John McCain?
You should hate your boy Harry. He's one of Wayne LaPierre's best buds:

Washington, DC – Nevada Senator Harry Reid today joined NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, Nevada’s congressional delegation, state and local leaders tomorrow for the grand opening of the Clark County Shooting Park. Reid led the effort to secure the land and funding needed to build the 2,900-acre shooting park, a world-class facility for Nevada’s sportsmen and women. The new facility will make our communities safer, protect the natural desert environment, and provide a place for people of all ages to learn about shooting sports.

“I appreciate the work of all those from Clark County, of sportsmen and sportswomen from across our state, of local law enforcement officials, and of everyone else who has shared this goal,” Reid said.“Nevadans aimed high when we set out to create the largest and most advanced shooting range in the world. But we kept a steady eye on our target. And today, with great pride, Nevada has hit the bulls-eye.”

Amenities at the Clark County Shooting Park include:

24 combination trap and skeet fields with a pro shop and cafeteria;
An archery range and building with a 30-seat classroom and restrooms;
A public rifle and pistol range with a pro shop and convenience store;
A hunter education center with a 90-seat classroom with archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges and a simulated hunting course; and
A shotgun center with 80 spaces for recreational vehicles that will house safety officers on-site.

Below are Senator Reid’s remarks as prepared for delivery:

“As many of you know, I grew up in Searchlight, in a home surrounded by the desert. Our dusty town didn’t have a high school, we didn’t have a grocery store, and there wasn’t even a place to buy a bullet.

“So it was a big deal when I could go out with my brother and father to shoot at targets out in open land. We’d take turns using our bolt-action .22-caliber rifle. Now I have eight guns, but I still have that .22, and it’s still my favorite.

“I have passed my love of shooting to my own grandchildren. My grandson Mason has come to love shooting sports just as much as his grandfather.

“Many of you have similar stories from your childhood – stories of bonding with your parents and siblings while shooting targets or shooting dinner – and stories of bonding with your children and grandchildren.

“Now your families and mine are fortunate to have such an impressive place to learn the skills of sport shooting – to learn the importance of safe shooting – to exercise our Second-Amendment rights – and to celebrate our Western heritage.

“I am so pleased that Wayne LaPierre is with us today. We have stood together in so many battles over the years.

“Just a few years ago we worked to protect our gun manufacturers from junk lawsuits. And as a result of that legislation, America’s gun companies are still America’s gun companies. That good law protected thousands of good jobs.

“Wayne and I also stood together to defeat the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. I voted against the ban when it was first proposed, I voted against it when folks tried to renew it, and I will continue to oppose it.
http://www.reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_100327...

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1878 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say that? He is a Great American. Harry is our President right hand man. Bonehead is a thorn in Obama, and all of the good things he wants to get done for America.
Omama however is making some stupid mistakes trying to fill his cabinet. Who would make a good Secretary of Defence? John McCain?
You hate guns, kid. Harry doesn't:

“I am so pleased that Wayne LaPierre is with us today. We have stood together in so many battles over the years.

“Just a few years ago we worked to protect our gun manufacturers from junk lawsuits. And as a result of that legislation, America’s gun companies are still America’s gun companies. That good law protected thousands of good jobs.

“Wayne and I also stood together to defeat the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. I voted against the ban when it was first proposed, I voted against it when folks tried to renew it, and I will continue to oppose it.
http://www.reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_100327...
Pale Rider

AOL

#1879 Dec 29, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You hate guns, kid. Harry doesn't:
“I am so pleased that Wayne LaPierre is with us today. We have stood together in so many battles over the years.
“Just a few years ago we worked to protect our gun manufacturers from junk lawsuits. And as a result of that legislation, America’s gun companies are still America’s gun companies. That good law protected thousands of good jobs.
“Wayne and I also stood together to defeat the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. I voted against the ban when it was first proposed, I voted against it when folks tried to renew it, and I will continue to oppose it.
http://www.reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_100327...
Times have changed, wait until Obama makes some proposals. John Q Public is tired of the killings. They will demand a ban a ban on assault rifles, the clips that hold more than 10 cartridges. I may make a proposal to Mitch McConnell.

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1880 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Times have changed, wait until Obama makes some proposals. John Q Public is tired of the killings. They will demand a ban a ban on assault rifles, the clips that hold more than 10 cartridges. I may make a proposal to Mitch McConnell.
Yeah, I'm sure Mitch McConnell comes to attention when he hears you've called.

Nothing's likely to happen on gun control:

1. Biden Gun Violence Task Force
In Washington, blue-ribbon task forces are reserved for issues where you want the appearance of taking action, without having to actually do anything. There's a reason we've had so many task forces on government spending and the debt. Politicians want to look like they are doing something on an issue. By the time the task force completes its work, the national conversation will have moved on to a new issue.

2014 Mid-Term Elections

The Democrats have dodged two election threats to their majority in the Senate. They clung to their majority in 2010 and even managed to get back two seats last month. But, the GOP gets a third bite at the apple in 2014, when the Democrats will be defending 20 seats against the GOP's 13. In the 13th, Maine, the GOP would be strongly favored if Susan Collins opts, as expected, to run for reelection. The Democrats, by contrast face a dangerous array of states.

Among the states Democrats will be defending are Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia, New Hampshire, Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico and South Dakota. All of these states have very strong blocks of pro-gun voters.

3. Obama's Press Conference Today

Obama announced his gun task force at a press conference this afternoon. The tragedy in Connecticut has dominated the news cycle for the past six days. There have been innumerable stories on the shooting and the prospects for new gun control legislation. Yet, the very first question out of the White House press corps was on...the fiscal cliff. In fact, except for two quick questions at the end, every question at the presser was on the fiscal cliff.

This suggests the the press corps doesn't really put a lot of stock into all the current noise about gun control. Its a jaded, cynical group of reporters and they have seen this dance often. If they really thought recent developments had put new momentum behind gun control legislation, they would have asked about it. That would be a big political story.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/...

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1881 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Times have changed, wait until Obama makes some proposals. John Q Public is tired of the killings. They will demand a ban a ban on assault rifles, the clips that hold more than 10 cartridges. I may make a proposal to Mitch McConnell.
Read and learn:

When ‘assault weapons’ saved Koreatown

With the cops nowhere to be found, hundreds of people marauded through the streets towards Koreatown. The neighborhood suffered 45 percent of all the property damage and five fatalities of storeowners during the riots. Having had enough of waiting for police, Korean storeowners assembled into militias to protect themselves, their families, and businesses.

According to the Los Angeles Times,“From the rooftops of their supermarkets, a group of Koreans armed with shotguns and automatic weapons peered onto the smoky streets…Koreans have turned their pastel-colored mini-malls into fortresses against looters tide.”

Rhee claimed that the storeowners shot off 500 rounds into the sky and ground in order to break up the masses of people. The only weapons able to clear that much ammo in a very short time are assault weapons. Single shot pistols or rifles might not have been able to deter the crowd hell-bent on destroying the neighborhood.

By the end of the day storeowners had slain four looters and fended off the mob. It would be 24 more hours until the National Guard arrived and another two days before the riots were completely put down. Had the riots occurred just a couple of years later when the Congress banned assault weapons, many of these storeowners may not have been so lucky. It’s situations like the LA riots, which, while being rare, can occur anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to far off countries during the Arab Spring.

Assault weapons are legal for this reason: they protect people from extreme cases of assault.
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/23/when-as...

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1882 Dec 29, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Read and learn:
When ‘assault weapons’ saved Koreatown
With the cops nowhere to be found, hundreds of people marauded through the streets towards Koreatown. The neighborhood suffered 45 percent of all the property damage and five fatalities of storeowners during the riots. Having had enough of waiting for police, Korean storeowners assembled into militias to protect themselves, their families, and businesses.
According to the Los Angeles Times,“From the rooftops of their supermarkets, a group of Koreans armed with shotguns and automatic weapons peered onto the smoky streets…Koreans have turned their pastel-colored mini-malls into fortresses against looters tide.”
Rhee claimed that the storeowners shot off 500 rounds into the sky and ground in order to break up the masses of people. The only weapons able to clear that much ammo in a very short time are assault weapons. Single shot pistols or rifles might not have been able to deter the crowd hell-bent on destroying the neighborhood.
By the end of the day storeowners had slain four looters and fended off the mob. It would be 24 more hours until the National Guard arrived and another two days before the riots were completely put down. Had the riots occurred just a couple of years later when the Congress banned assault weapons, many of these storeowners may not have been so lucky. It’s situations like the LA riots, which, while being rare, can occur anywhere from the streets of Los Angeles to far off countries during the Arab Spring.
Assault weapons are legal for this reason: they protect people from extreme cases of assault.
http://www.humanevents.com/2012/12/23/when-as...
Willing to place that story in it's full context there, fella?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#1883 Dec 29, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Times have changed, wait until Obama makes some proposals. John Q Public is tired of the killings. They will demand a ban a ban on assault rifles, the clips that hold more than 10 cartridges. I may make a proposal to Mitch McConnell.
Banning "already owned" weapons or clips violates ex-post facto.

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#1884 Dec 29, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Willing to place that story in it's full context there, fella?
Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. What part of the context do you think is missing?

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#1885 Dec 29, 2012
TonyD2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Seems pretty self-explanatory to me. What part of the context do you think is missing?
Conditions leading to the riots. Might explain why the police were "nowhere to be found," not to mention why the riots were likely preventable.

BTW--ever stop to think about what a bloodbath it would have been if the rioters were armed in like manner?

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#1886 Dec 29, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Conditions leading to the riots. Might explain why the police were "nowhere to be found," not to mention why the riots were likely preventable.
Seems to me that's exactly the situation where you'd want to be able to protect yourself. Preventable is irrelevant once you're in it (unless you're suggesting that the store owners were the cause of the riot and for the police not being there). Just like I know that in the event of a major disaster, authorities are going to take care of city-people first (not that I think it's unreasonable for them to do that... put your resourses where they'll do the most good for the most affected people...) and that I can foresee a situation where I'm going to have to fend for myself.
BTW--ever stop to think about what a bloodbath it would have been if the rioters were armed in like manner?
Where did you get the impression that some of them weren't? The wiki article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1992_Los_Angeles...

includes this: "Open gun battles were televised as Korean shopkeepers exchanged gunfire with armed looters."
Pale Rider

AOL

#1887 Dec 29, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, I'm sure Mitch McConnell comes to attention when he hears you've called.
Nothing's likely to happen on gun control:
1. Biden Gun Violence Task Force
In Washington, blue-ribbon task forces are reserved for issues where you want the appearance of taking action, without having to actually do anything. There's a reason we've had so many task forces on government spending and the debt. Politicians want to look like they are doing something on an issue. By the time the task force completes its work, the national conversation will have moved on to a new issue.
2014 Mid-Term Elections
The Democrats have dodged two election threats to their majority in the Senate. They clung to their majority in 2010 and even managed to get back two seats last month. But, the GOP gets a third bite at the apple in 2014, when the Democrats will be defending 20 seats against the GOP's 13. In the 13th, Maine, the GOP would be strongly favored if Susan Collins opts, as expected, to run for reelection. The Democrats, by contrast face a dangerous array of states.
Among the states Democrats will be defending are Alaska, Arkansas, Louisiana, North Carolina, West Virginia, Virginia, New Hampshire, Colorado, Iowa, New Mexico and South Dakota. All of these states have very strong blocks of pro-gun voters.
3. Obama's Press Conference Today
Obama announced his gun task force at a press conference this afternoon. The tragedy in Connecticut has dominated the news cycle for the past six days. There have been innumerable stories on the shooting and the prospects for new gun control legislation. Yet, the very first question out of the White House press corps was on...the fiscal cliff. In fact, except for two quick questions at the end, every question at the presser was on the fiscal cliff.
This suggests the the press corps doesn't really put a lot of stock into all the current noise about gun control. Its a jaded, cynical group of reporters and they have seen this dance often. If they really thought recent developments had put new momentum behind gun control legislation, they would have asked about it. That would be a big political story.
http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2012/...
Actually Mitch and I go back a few years. Although I am very young. I love to get on here and mix it up with the older men. I will be educating the public on tighter gun controls. Maybe we should limit the amount of guns, an owner, can own. After all, most people can shoot only one at a time.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#1888 Dec 31, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you say that? He is a Great American. Harry is our President right hand man. Bonehead is a thorn in Obama, and all of the good things he wants to get done for America.
Omama however is making some stupid mistakes trying to fill his cabinet. Who would make a good Secretary of Defence? John McCain?
the best thing for America is to abort people like you from society.

the sooner the better.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#1889 Dec 31, 2012
Pale Rider wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually Mitch and I go back a few years. Although I am very young. I love to get on here and mix it up with the older men. I will be educating the public on tighter gun controls. Maybe we should limit the amount of guns, an owner, can own. After all, most people can shoot only one at a time.
maybe we should discuss shot placement instead.

most people would agree you make a wonderful target.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#1890 Dec 31, 2012
4 years later..........

stock market is down as compared to 2008 election.

every single economic indicator is down.

yet you morons elected a goon to further destroy the economy.

PS: the joke is on you.

as those of you who consider yourself middle class are moved to the poor section in the back of the bus.

many have refused the bus ride; and prefer to travel the path to success.

watch 2013 to see who is on the bus; and who drives their own car.

when the govt is forced to cut over a trillion in annual spend.....who do you suppose is effected?

The rich?

or those who think minimum wage is middle class?
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#1891 Dec 31, 2012
that can our govt wants to keep kicking just was repossessed.

first time they were to fix it they failed so..........

they picked a group of 6 to fail yet again; and the fiscal cliff is the result of the failure..........

so at it for the third time in as many years; and they fail yet again.

what leadership we want to emulate.

fail; and blame others for the failure.

moving forward.....I think not.

reaping what you sowed.........weeds.

Since: Sep 10

Cleveland, OH

#1892 Dec 31, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>You should hate your boy Harry. He's one of Wayne LaPierre's best buds:
Washington, DC – Nevada Senator Harry Reid today joined NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre, Nevada’s congressional delegation, state and local leaders tomorrow for the grand opening of the Clark County Shooting Park. Reid led the effort to secure the land and funding needed to build the 2,900-acre shooting park, a world-class facility for Nevada’s sportsmen and women. The new facility will make our communities safer, protect the natural desert environment, and provide a place for people of all ages to learn about shooting sports.
“I appreciate the work of all those from Clark County, of sportsmen and sportswomen from across our state, of local law enforcement officials, and of everyone else who has shared this goal,” Reid said.“Nevadans aimed high when we set out to create the largest and most advanced shooting range in the world. But we kept a steady eye on our target. And today, with great pride, Nevada has hit the bulls-eye.”
Amenities at the Clark County Shooting Park include:
24 combination trap and skeet fields with a pro shop and cafeteria;
An archery range and building with a 30-seat classroom and restrooms;
A public rifle and pistol range with a pro shop and convenience store;
A hunter education center with a 90-seat classroom with archery, rifle, pistol and shotgun ranges and a simulated hunting course; and
A shotgun center with 80 spaces for recreational vehicles that will house safety officers on-site.
Below are Senator Reid’s remarks as prepared for delivery:
“As many of you know, I grew up in Searchlight, in a home surrounded by the desert. Our dusty town didn’t have a high school, we didn’t have a grocery store, and there wasn’t even a place to buy a bullet.
“So it was a big deal when I could go out with my brother and father to shoot at targets out in open land. We’d take turns using our bolt-action .22-caliber rifle. Now I have eight guns, but I still have that .22, and it’s still my favorite.
“I have passed my love of shooting to my own grandchildren. My grandson Mason has come to love shooting sports just as much as his grandfather.
“Many of you have similar stories from your childhood – stories of bonding with your parents and siblings while shooting targets or shooting dinner – and stories of bonding with your children and grandchildren.
“Now your families and mine are fortunate to have such an impressive place to learn the skills of sport shooting – to learn the importance of safe shooting – to exercise our Second-Amendment rights – and to celebrate our Western heritage.
“I am so pleased that Wayne LaPierre is with us today. We have stood together in so many battles over the years.
“Just a few years ago we worked to protect our gun manufacturers from junk lawsuits. And as a result of that legislation, America’s gun companies are still America’s gun companies. That good law protected thousands of good jobs.
“Wayne and I also stood together to defeat the so-called Assault Weapons Ban. I voted against the ban when it was first proposed, I voted against it when folks tried to renew it, and I will continue to oppose it.
http://www.reid.senate.gov/newsroom/pr_100327...
All of this confirms why I think Harry is alright.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Pale Rider 4,780
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 2 hr So What 325
chanukah hanukkah day 2 4 hr Free Pizza 4 U 5
Boko Haram kidnaps 172 MORE women and girls!!! 4 hr what_me_worry_ 2
Afghanistan's dirty little secret 4 hr what_me_worry_ 3
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 4 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 28
Another Epic Obama Accomplishment 4 hr They cannot kill ... 13
Public Flogging 7 hr Support 14
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 7 hr Dusty Rhodes 261
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:01 pm PST

NBC Sports 2:01PM
Johnny Manziel: 'Last week is in the past'
ESPN 2:46 PM
Browns OC backs Manziel: Not going in tank
NBC Sports 3:50 PM
Bengals heading back into withering spotlight - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 6:32 PM
Week 16 skill-position injury report — Thursday
Bleacher Report 7:22 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals: Complete Week 16 Preview for Denver