The Debate 2012
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#395 Oct 13, 2012
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends on where the battlefield is. Inner city fighting it could be a great advantage.
don't get me wrong....M1 is a cool little gun.

inner city fighting it works; but an automatic shotgun with 4 buck has 14 of the bullets your M1 has in every shell; and the same magazine capacity, so the shotgun has 14 times the firepower and almost the same range.

The HK91 George spoke about in talented hands, can send bowling pins flying from 1000 yards away.

The HK91 has been replaced by newer weapons that outperform it; but it is a fine example of quality workmanship.

The new 50 cal semi auto sniper rifle has confirmed splats at 2 miles. My preference is to let the kids carry and blast away with those. Yes they reach out and touch with much devastation; but the noise and recoil is too much for this old man.

up close work it is difficult to beat a 9mm carbine that shoots like a garden hose, or a shotgun loaded with buckshot. The 223 autos do a fine job and are controllable also in that situation; but the 308 in full auto fire is difficult at least for me to control with complete accuracy. In single shot mode the 308 my choice.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#396 Oct 13, 2012
Cleavon Little wrote:
<quoted text>I inherited an HK-91. A beautiful work of art.
green or black?

bipod?

scope mount?

Kosmik

Since: Sep 10

Columbus, OH

#397 Oct 13, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
green or black?
bipod?
scope mount?
I can see you salivating.

Cleavon Little

Since: Sep 12

Hilliard, OH

#398 Oct 13, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
green or black?
bipod?
scope mount?
Black, no bipod, with scope mounted.
Tim

Sharon Center, OH

#399 Oct 13, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
don't get me wrong....M1 is a cool little gun.
inner city fighting it works; but an automatic shotgun with 4 buck has 14 of the bullets your M1 has in every shell; and the same magazine capacity, so the shotgun has 14 times the firepower and almost the same range.
The HK91 George spoke about in talented hands, can send bowling pins flying from 1000 yards away.
The HK91 has been replaced by newer weapons that outperform it; but it is a fine example of quality workmanship.
The new 50 cal semi auto sniper rifle has confirmed splats at 2 miles. My preference is to let the kids carry and blast away with those. Yes they reach out and touch with much devastation; but the noise and recoil is too much for this old man.
up close work it is difficult to beat a 9mm carbine that shoots like a garden hose, or a shotgun loaded with buckshot. The 223 autos do a fine job and are controllable also in that situation; but the 308 in full auto fire is difficult at least for me to control with complete accuracy. In single shot mode the 308 my choice.
Get the LMT MWS, the British Army's new rifle wasting Taliban after Taliban in the rockpile.
Tim

Sharon Center, OH

#400 Oct 13, 2012
Reality speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
cool toy
the limited range is why it was discontinued
223 out to 400 yards; and 308 out to 1000 in talented hands
both work well in close work.
the AR platform was designed to be light; and work at high level in both long and short circumstances.
a M1 built by singer sewing machine company is quite valuable. Winchester models 2nd. International Harvester made lots and lots and least valuable.
Are we talking carbines or rifles.

IH made Garands too, and we dumped them onto the Shah after WWII, if Iran is liberated, perhaps we will get them back.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#401 Oct 13, 2012
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
The general theory of more people holding a higher threshold of wealth will in turn generate jobs through investments in goods, services, financials, real estate, markets etc... For quite awhile these traditional vehicles have not been performing well. Many who recently gained wealth and those who have long held it are sitting on it.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
Orders for goods just isn't there. Where there are orders, those goods are built elsewhere.
If David Siegel was roping people into his timeshares at the rate he used to he wouldn't be sending threatening letters to his employees.
It seems as though we have also suffered from a pattern of investment dollars going towards consolitation purchases rather than new development. I don't recall hearing about this recently, but thinking back (perhaps under Bush I?) this was an issue. As an example, Lazarus became a part of Federated, as did a number of other regional department stores. Today many of the regional names no longer exist--having been replaced by Macy's and the like (and where the local name has survived, they are really just Macy's under another name). Companies like Procter and Gamble amassed vast and varied markets in all kinds of diverse products.

End result, lots of investment, very little growth.

“Queen of my domain”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#402 Oct 13, 2012
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
The general theory of more people holding a higher threshold of wealth will in turn generate jobs through investments in goods, services, financials, real estate, markets etc... For quite awhile these traditional vehicles have not been performing well. Many who recently gained wealth and those who have long held it are sitting on it.
http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/state...
Orders for goods just isn't there. Where there are orders, those goods are built elsewhere.
If David Siegel was roping people into his timeshares at the rate he used to he wouldn't be sending threatening letters to his employees.
My take on this is we're in a very nervous economy.

They're sitting on cash that is not committed in order to survive, long-term.

Kosmik

Columbus, OH

#403 Oct 13, 2012
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time I get on the couch I'm positive I am. There's always coins down there.

I watched the Michigan State-Iowa game today, the stadium in E. Lansing looked pretty empty. Half, may even 2/3's but no more.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#404 Oct 14, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems as though we have also suffered from a pattern of investment dollars going towards consolitation purchases rather than new development. I don't recall hearing about this recently, but thinking back (perhaps under Bush I?) this was an issue. As an example, Lazarus became a part of Federated, as did a number of other regional department stores. Today many of the regional names no longer exist--having been replaced by Macy's and the like (and where the local name has survived, they are really just Macy's under another name). Companies like Procter and Gamble amassed vast and varied markets in all kinds of diverse products.
investment....novel idea......you liberals should try it.......actually saving money.

did you know that when you invest money it grows with dividends, and capital growth return on investment.

you can actually make as much investing as working.

problem is you liberals burn through money so quick, have nothing to show for it; and pay interest.

I prefer earning interest to paying it; and that just might be a reason I have money.

Need a loan Reader?.........25% interest....how much you need?

PS: the collateral will have to substantiate loan......you are not trustworthy.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#405 Oct 14, 2012
Tim wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we talking carbines or rifles.
IH made Garands too, and we dumped them onto the Shah after WWII, if Iran is liberated, perhaps we will get them back.
lots of manufacturing companies made arms in WW2

singer sewing machine company is the most valuable today.

Kosmic was speaking about a 30 carbine.
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#406 Oct 14, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
hey genius.......when half the population has no money, then where do you expect the growth?

see if you steal more money from those that have it; and give it to those that don't, it is still the same amount of money.

Now I am positive that is to deep for you being a self proclaimed genius and all; but it is fact.

and those with no money receiving stolen money to spend, buy things like drugs, booze, junk food, tattoos, dye hair purple etc.

going to Lowes for home improvement supplies, or Macy's to buy semi designer clothing is not occurring by them.

See the group of people that were robbed shop at those places...so maybe with your genius brain you can put 1 and 1 together to cypher out why a dollar split in half given to 2 people is still only a dollar. Just the way it is spent differs.

your ilk that receives the stolen bounty of others, provides zero growth in the economy because of where it is spent; and fact it did not grow by stealing it from another, it still was the same amount.

see if your ilk actually earned money and spent it, that would be an increase in the economy.

I am surprised in all those years of college; and the many many advanced degrees you self proclaim to possess, that you never had to take a basic economics class.

Guess it just goes to prove how dangerous affirmative action is for society.

Location hidden

#407 Oct 14, 2012
gokeefe wrote:
<quoted text>
But the economy will cease to be nervous should Romney be elected, right?

At least that is the argument I keep hearing (don't know if it is yours).

We keep wanting a Superman to step up and solve all the problems. I don't think that is likely to happen. The factors that make the economy nervous tend to be global as much as local and I'm not absolutely certain whether the fix for nervousness is going to reside in the White House.

While I profoundly dislike Romney and believe that his policies will be not better than those of Bush II, I tend to believe in the deep, steadying keel of America to minimize lasting damage. And depending on which Romney we get (the moderate Mitt or the radical right Mitt) and the Congress that we get maybe we can hold out for four years until we get another go.

The reality is that where we are now took some time to create, and it's going to take some time to fix.

Some pundits suggest that in two more years that unemployment will hit 6% regardless of who is in the White House. Possibly true.

But, we still have a big deficit to resolve--and I don't see Romney plans to effectively deal with that--just promises that something will emerge from his tax-cut plan to increase revenues, and that somewhere there are cuts to be made to government. We have heard this all before.

And I haven't actually heard Romney address the upward shift of wealth at all--except for those of his PACs that disparage the notion of "redistribution."

Location hidden

#408 Oct 14, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
investment....novel idea......you liberals should try it.......actually saving money.
did you know that when you invest money it grows with dividends, and capital growth return on investment.
problem is you liberals burn through money so quick, have nothing to show for it; and pay interest.
I prefer earning interest to paying it; and that just might be a reason I have money.
Sorry, RS. I'm pretty loan averse. I have a mortgage (and due to having paid diligently and made improvments I have been "right-side-up for a very long time). Just finished paying off a vehicle and plan to drive it for quite awhile before letting it go (only bought that one when I did because the previous one was totalled in an accident--just after it was paid off). Have a couple of limited credit cards so I can pay 6 months same as cash for a few big-ticket things when they come up (washer/dryer, tires and repairs). And a loan for education. But mostly I'm a cash only person.

My investments are all aimed at being able to afford to retire some day, and I note that generally they have gotten back onto an earnings track--after some shocking losses back in 2007-2008.

My personal philosophy has always been to live below my income--because I have seen up close and personal how easy it is to lose income, or portions of it--for reasons completely outside of control. As a result I have been able weather setbacks several times.

No boats (had my fill of that sort of thing growing up), no fancy resorts. But my family has had vacations pretty regularly. We know how to pack a lunch and eat cold cereal for breakfast in order to have dinner out, and clip coupons and figure up cost and prioritize.

So--go peddle you usury and time-shares to someone else. I ain't buying.

Location hidden

#409 Oct 14, 2012
Kosmik wrote:
<quoted text>
Every time I get on the couch I'm positive I am. There's always coins down there.
I watched the Michigan State-Iowa game today, the stadium in E. Lansing looked pretty empty. Half, may even 2/3's but no more.
Interesting. MSU is my alma mater. Knew a few folks at that game.

Location hidden

#410 Oct 14, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW--I note that you are still trying to make me out to be a failure--compared to you.

Gotta wonder what that's about.
notlocal

AOL

#411 Oct 14, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Just announced this morning. A wind power farm backed by Obama's stimulus just laid off 800 people and is expected to dismantle.

Now that's job creation! Democrat style.
notlocal

AOL

#412 Oct 14, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, RS. I'm pretty loan averse. I have a mortgage (and due to having paid diligently and made improvments I have been "right-side-up for a very long time). Just finished paying off a vehicle and plan to drive it for quite awhile before letting it go (only bought that one when I did because the previous one was totalled in an accident--just after it was paid off). Have a couple of limited credit cards so I can pay 6 months same as cash for a few big-ticket things when they come up (washer/dryer, tires and repairs). And a loan for education. But mostly I'm a cash only person.
My investments are all aimed at being able to afford to retire some day, and I note that generally they have gotten back onto an earnings track--after some shocking losses back in 2007-2008.
My personal philosophy has always been to live below my income--because I have seen up close and personal how easy it is to lose income, or portions of it--for reasons completely outside of control. As a result I have been able weather setbacks several times.
No boats (had my fill of that sort of thing growing up), no fancy resorts. But my family has had vacations pretty regularly. We know how to pack a lunch and eat cold cereal for breakfast in order to have dinner out, and clip coupons and figure up cost and prioritize.
So--go peddle you usury and time-shares to someone else. I ain't buying.
What do you do for a living, if I may ask?

Kosmik

Columbus, OH

#413 Oct 14, 2012
FKA Reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. MSU is my alma mater. Knew a few folks at that game.
Hope you didn't have any money on them. As a football team they're underperforming and disappointing.

Maybe people are going there to study and wait for basketball season.

Izzo is a great, well that word doesn't begin to do him justice, coach and man.
Tim

Medina, OH

#414 Oct 14, 2012
Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
lots of manufacturing companies made arms in WW2
singer sewing machine company is the most valuable today.
Kosmic was speaking about a 30 carbine.
IBM also made carbines.

Singer made the lease 1911s, they never made M1 Carbines

The rarest M1 carbines are the Commercial Control Corporation, which is what National Postal meter rebadged itself as.

The total rarest are the Irwin-Petersens.

http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/manufacture...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Trump's Kids so ugly? 4 min 404 not found 76
Someone hates pork fat. 1 hr Brice N Livingston 11
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! 1 hr Male 963
News 'Inclusive' diversity programs shortchange blac... 1 hr Brice N Livingston 6
Want a President Pence? 1 hr 404 not found 13
Squeez 4 hr Seriously 3
Trump Will Win Again in 2020 5 hr Pam 18
Robert Mueller Investigating Donald Trump 13 hr 404 not found 562
News Scandal forces appraisal of gay issues | The Co... (Oct '10) 22 hr Real Curious 305

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages