OSU campus neighbors have history of ...

OSU campus neighbors have history of their own | The Columbus D...

There are 7 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Apr 12, 2010, titled OSU campus neighbors have history of their own | The Columbus D.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Emily Foster shows memorabilia in the free "History Shared, History Saved" exhibit on the University District.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

A Columbus girl

United States

#1 Apr 12, 2010
I grew up in the area - Went to Northwood Elementary, Indianola Jr High and Columbus North. Back in the day, this was the best neighborhood ever...beautiful homes, tree lined streets, safe for little girls to walk to friends' homes, the ice cream shop on Norwich (which started as a penny candy store right next to the elementary school). I even remember the electric busses up and down High Street!

Drove the area Friday evening - so many changes, but still beautiful ---
Bob in Worthington

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 12, 2010
I grew up in the University area and always have a soft spot for the pioneer home on East Norwich Street. I walked by it when going to Northwood Elementary School, but not too close. Some kids thought a witch lived there.

Now that I am older, I appreciate the effort expended in maintaining the pioneer home by many people.

The University District was a great neighborhood to grow up in the 1950s and early 1960s.
olbuck

Murfreesboro, TN

#3 Apr 12, 2010
You brought back some memories when you mentioned the Blue Danube and Charbert's menus. Good times and good food during undergrad days Thanks and GO BUCKS!
A Columbus girl

United States

#4 Apr 12, 2010
Not sure why my city/state says Huntley, IL, because I'm still in Columbus!
83 East Lane Avenue Girl

Columbus, OH

#5 Apr 12, 2010
I lived in the area when the zip code was just "01", and when "us kids" thought we owned OSU. Playing in the buildings, summer school at OSU's University School.

The Ohio Historical Society was billeted in Sullivan Hall then, right there at 15th across from Long's Bookstore. The museum had a MUMMY, and stuffed bears. Too much noise and the guards kicked you out. So we would next head out to watch the couples necking at Mirror Lake (and something else in the bushes), before trying to steal what coins you could from the "Wishing Well" for candy or ice cream on the way home.

I was just as sure as that other fella that a witch DID live in that cabin on Norwich, Did you know she kept her husband's finger in jar on one of the window sills!

Did we go to school too???????
Maureen

Canal Winchester, OH

#6 Jul 17, 2014
I remember living in the area and attending Northwood Elementary. I also, remember going across the street on the corner was a little store where we purchased candy before going back to school after lunch. I know with was Gordon's but I want to know the name of the little shop. Can't you help me remember? It think later, it became an Indian Food Rest. Thanks
Gwen

Boston, MA

#7 Sep 21, 2014
Wish I'd discovered this page and the Dispatch article long before now. I grew up on North Sixth Street, attended Eighth Avenue Elementary School (which became Weinland Park), Indianola Junior High School, and North High School. I went away to college (Bowling Green) because I had been "hanging out" at Ohio State since junior high (or earlier??). And Charbert's was my home away from home. And all I know about football, I learned from Woody Hayes. So many good memories.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Republican Lunacy 8 min They cannot kill ... 37
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 10 min They cannot kill ... 580
R.I.P. Gregg Allman 24 min Duke for Mayor 9
Obama's NSA Spied on Americans illegally 53 min Duke for Mayor 9
Obama Tapping Trump TelePhones During the 2016 ... 54 min OANN 670
Zbigniew Brzezinski is dead. 1 hr Hail Hydra 4
FBI and the Trump brothers ..... 2 hr Brice N Livingston 3

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance