Transferring Prescriptions For Perks Will End In 2011 | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

Full story: 10TV WBNS 65
With just a few days left in 2010, pharmacies are warning that a big change for filling your prescriptions will take effect on Saturday. Full Story
WARNING

Grove City, OH

#43 Dec 30, 2010
My husband's uncle was transferring his prescriptions from pharmacy to pharmacy one at a time in order to take advantage of all of these perks. His doctor gave him a presciption for what was thought to be a temporary condition. Because no one pharmacy had all of his medications on file there was no red flag of drug interaction. End result - he almost died from the combination of drugs. He spent 10 days in the hospital. The perks savings did not make up for the hospital bill. NOTE: Doctors are doctors, they don't always know drug interaction. Pharmacists are pharmacists and have the knowledge and tools to prevent interactions as long as they have all the information.

Beware of the dangers of switching.

If you want to switch pharmacies have your doctor write new presciptions and cancel the one's at your old pharmacy.
The what people

Dublin, OH

#44 Dec 30, 2010
I'm wondering what would happen if a consumer moves more than once a year.
PBJ

Columbus, OH

#47 Dec 31, 2010
According to the article, this is a new state law. I am not surprised Ohio is doing this. If you recall back in 2005, there was a state law banning the personal shipping of wine to Ohio, so residents would "be encouraged to try Ohio wines". This stupid law limiting choice was repealed in 2008, I believe.

If pharmacies have managed the "price shopping" all these years, why is it a problem now? Aren't people allowed to make their own decisions? Apparently not.
Oona Goosepimple

Cleveland, OH

#48 Jan 1, 2011
I heard Costco is very reasonable on drug prices.Worth it to check it out.Save $$$$

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#49 Jan 1, 2011
how people forget the old days and the stories coming out of the communist countries (like Russia) years. the people would stand in lines to get food and products. they never had to worry about choosing between 10 different shampoos or any other items because the government was the only producer of ALL items.

History repeats itself when are people going to realize this. The democrat governor is sticking Ohio with this before he leaves office.

What's next we will only be able to go to one type of grocery store so they can regulate what we eat and
Oona Goosepimple

Cleveland, OH

#50 Jan 1, 2011
D and D wrote:
how people forget the old days and the stories coming out of the communist countries (like Russia) years. the people would stand in lines to get food and products. they never had to worry about choosing between 10 different shampoos or any other items because the government was the only producer of ALL items.
History repeats itself when are people going to realize this. The democrat governor is sticking Ohio with this before he leaves office.
What's next we will only be able to go to one type of grocery store so they can regulate what we eat and
Hello, and we meet again.
Not to cause trouble, I found this article.
The Ohio Board of Pharmacy implemented this law.There was no mention of the governor, whats his name. Who Is the governor BTW?

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ohio-prescr...
Doug

Dayton, OH

#51 Jan 1, 2011
Jay wrote,

(((It's about controling the people who are gaming the system getting freebies left and right and generally causing longer waits at the store for the normal people. Transfering scripts is no easy task for a pharmacist.

Not to mention the money these stores lose by you not buying a single thing with cash from them since the inception of the program since you keep bouncing back and forth.)))

How are people gaming the system ?? Who set up the game to start with ???? Rite Aid, CVS, K mart and all the other pharmacies who are the ones putting the coupons out there to start with. Plus if the stores are losing as you mention, then they wouldnt be out there marketing the coupons to the customers to start with. So how are people gaming the system, the drug stores are the ones encouraging people to switch by throwing the coupons out there, duhhhhh.
Doug

Dayton, OH

#52 Jan 1, 2011
Kyle wrote,

((((By the time you waste your time and the gas it's really not worth it in the first place to save a stupid quarter that they give you a coupon for.)))

A great example of another person just blowing, not knowing what they are talking about on these posts. K mart gives a $100 gift card with 4 prescription transferred. Rite Aid gives a $25 Gift card for each transferred prescrition. Ummm Kyle, where are you finding the 25 cent coupons at to transfer a prescription ? There are none, just another person, pretending to be intelligent and informed.
Pickerington Mom

Columbus, OH

#53 Jan 1, 2011
I am sorry but I do think this is a safety concern. I am a nurse and I have to tell you that most of my patients are poor historians on the medication they are putting into their body on a daily basis. By filling your prescriptions at ONE pharmacy everything is on record. I cannot tell you how many times a pharmacy will call our office after we have prescribed a medication that has a severe interaction with another med a patient is one (one that the patient didnt advise the physician that he/she is on in the first place). Not everything has a political motive behind it people!
Trevor

Grove City, OH

#54 Jan 1, 2011
The what people wrote:
I'm wondering what would happen if a consumer moves more than once a year.
Their doctor could just write them a new RX.
Doug

Dayton, OH

#55 Jan 1, 2011
Trevor wrote:
<quoted text>
Their doctor could just write them a new RX.
Yes and if you dont have health insurance, that new prescription the Dr. just wrote you cost a minimum $65 Office visit to get it. I am sure the Doctors love it. Most wont give you refills or very few, they want you coming back to the office again and again to fill their pockets on paying for another office visit. Its not like the old days where you could call your long time family Doctore and he would call you in a refill, now a days these men and women Doctors are greedy like the rest of society has become.
Joseph

Columbus, OH

#56 Jan 2, 2011
Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes and if you dont have health insurance, that new prescription the Dr. just wrote you cost a minimum $65 Office visit to get it. I am sure the Doctors love it. Most wont give you refills or very few, they want you coming back to the office again and again to fill their pockets on paying for another office visit. Its not like the old days where you could call your long time family Doctore and he would call you in a refill, now a days these men and women Doctors are greedy like the rest of society has become.
Actually most doctors get paid a salary by a medical practice, usually connected to one of the hospital groups. What they earn is not that closely tied to how many times they get you into the office. Often times that policy is set by the management of the practice. Yes it still pulls in more money but it's not necessarily driven by the docs themselves.
Oona Goosepimple

Cleveland, OH

#57 Jan 2, 2011
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-news-ohio-prescr...

It is for safety and and mix ups at the pharmacy.It is such a simple thing and everyone is making such a fuss over this.

Why is everyone up in arms about the most minute things, when we have two countries, occupied by our troops, who are getting killed and injured?????

We should use or energies for worthwhile subjects that are really the big problems.
Jake

Grove City, OH

#58 Jan 2, 2011
Oona Goosepimple wrote:
http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-n ews-ohio-prescription-transfer s,0,3091055.story
It is for safety and and mix ups at the pharmacy.It is such a simple thing and everyone is making such a fuss over this.
Why is everyone up in arms about the most minute things, when we have two countries, occupied by our troops, who are getting killed and injured?????
We should use or energies for worthwhile subjects that are really the big problems.
I agree with you on the whole prescription issue. It's for everyones good that they have decided to make the change. Now...on the troops issue...90% of the troops should be pulled home immediatly..the other 10% should stay for said amount of time with a deadline date to finsih up all loose ends. The wars are done...it's time to bring troops home and secure the U.S. borders from within.
Buckeye-Scoup

Nokomis, FL

#59 Jan 3, 2011
More Government Control... at the State level.... what ever happened to freedom of choice... glad I do not live in Ohio any longer....
BPFL1901

Lake Worth, FL

#60 Jan 3, 2011
Hope someone in Ohio fights this. Sounds like the Supreme Court needs to take this one on. Ridiculous. Pharmacists need to do their job like the rest of us. Consumers need to check prescriptions to make sure all is ok. Plain and simple. Easy to do. Who are the crackpots who got this into legislation?!
foreigner

Westerville, OH

#61 Jan 3, 2011
As a foreigner, temporarily staying in Ohio, my greatest surprise about America was to discover the poor quality of its medicine in general (certainly there are great exceptions). It is clear to me that the belief, without any basis in reality, about the high quality of medicine here, which was true decades ago, is holding Americans as hostages. I hope that Americans can wake up and change this situation.
Jay

Versailles, OH

#62 Jan 3, 2011
BPFL1901 wrote:
Hope someone in Ohio fights this. Sounds like the Supreme Court needs to take this one on. Ridiculous. Pharmacists need to do their job like the rest of us. Consumers need to check prescriptions to make sure all is ok. Plain and simple. Easy to do. Who are the crackpots who got this into legislation?!
Fights what? Pharmacists are trying to do their jobs. Problem is people bitching them out because they feel their pharmacist should have known the 12 other drugs they were taking spread out across the 4 other pharmacies they were bouncing between simply to get the perks. Or they are bitching about the time they have to wait to have their script transfered for the 4th time so they can get that $25 gift card. That's whats rediculous. And this isn't legislation. It's a rule from the state board of pharmacy.
Oona Goosepimple

Cleveland, OH

#63 Jan 4, 2011
Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Fights what? Pharmacists are trying to do their jobs. Problem is people bitching them out because they feel their pharmacist should have known the 12 other drugs they were taking spread out across the 4 other pharmacies they were bouncing between simply to get the perks. Or they are bitching about the time they have to wait to have their script transfered for the 4th time so they can get that $25 gift card. That's whats rediculous. And this isn't legislation. It's a rule from the state board of pharmacy.
Post # 50 I posted the info. I agree with you
You know that some are never satisfied....always have to buck the system and have a problem with rules and authority.. Can't satisfy everyone I guess.
Tsk Tsk

“Hey...you guys”

Since: Jan 11

Looneytunes Lane

#64 Jan 4, 2011
Why do people have such a hard time processing?
This is not only for healthy people but for the elderly who get confused and can't remember everything. Accidents happen enough times mixing prescription drugs so this will help many.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
chanukah hanukkah day 2 12 min BizzyBee 8
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 29 min Pale Rider 4,786
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 1 hr Male 75
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 278
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 1 hr Big Papa Tea 31
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 1 hr Big Papa Tea 333
Sherlock Barack or Hussein the Hypocrite? 2 hr Reality Speaks 2
Public Flogging 3 hr Reality Speaks 17
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info