Community juvie jails/facilities

Community juvie jails/facilities

Posted in the Columbus Forum

Hello

Lewis Center, OH

#1 Nov 27, 2013
The head of the Correctional Institution Inspection Committee says the announced closing of the Scioto Juvenile Correctional Facility is a mixed blessing.
Joanna E. Saul, executive director of the legislative prison watchdog agency, said the closing is a success because it means the Department of Youth Services RECLAIM program is working. RECLAIM, which diverts youth offenders to community facilitiesrather than sending them to more expensive and restrictive state prisons, triggeredthe closingof five juvenile prisons.The May 3 closing at Scioto also makes fiscal sense because thefacility has 247 staff and 38 inmates, Saul said.
But the May 3 closingwill have ripple effects,she said.Many staff memberswith seniority will "bump," i.e. displace,employees at other facilities, "necessitating adjustment to a new facility, a new group of coworkers, significantly longer commutes, and a loss of security in their job futures."
Saul, who hasin a short time become an astute observer of Ohio's adult and juvenile prisons, said that is "not a criticism of the decision, just an acknowledgement of the challenges that DYS faces and the impact on individuals."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Horse, rider die after collision with car | The... (Nov '09) 39 min Christ get a clue 311
What Has Happened To America? 1 hr Male 185
DC Scandal is about to blow wide open 1 hr Duke for Mayor 74
Why Does Donald Trump Tell So Many Lies? 2 hr Duke for Mayor 132
Today Is Pope Francis' 81st Birthday! 2 hr Brice N Livingston 1
Dems in disarray- Well, yeah! (Jun '17) 3 hr Male 1,576
Your Huge Xmas Tax Cut ! 5 hr Brice N Livingston 2

Columbus Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages