Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

A Day of Terror
Posted on April 20, 2013 by Ruth O'Brien

I always know it’s my birthday when things start blowing up. A close friend from Germany would telephone, and for the life of me, I was flattered and impressed: How did she remember? That was until I recalled that the New York Times covered the Jewish cemetery in Iselin, N.J., being vandalized by neo-Nazis on my birthday one year.

I asked her about it. Oh yes, she knew, and she confessed that this was what triggered her memory every year (on top of being a considerate friend). As it happens, Hitler’s birthday (April 20) is also a bit of a to-do over in Germany. Like clockwork, something bad happens, or a multitude of events — pre-1989, post-Berlin Wall, it doesn’t matter.

Then I triangled* this with the fact that five days before Hitler’s birthday is the day we all have to send in our taxes, with Uncle Sam (and why not Aunt Samantha?) holding open their bags or coffers. Throw in a few more anniversaries, and now you get the picture.

Now we have captured the two terrorists from Chechnya who come from the troubled region that is Muslim, but we cannot understand their motives, not yet. And Obama encourages us to refrain.

This said, the mortuary pictures of the older brother of the two are extremely disturbing, raising questions as to whether the Boston Police Department captured him with too much force. I understand the explanation offered by Katharine Q. Seelye, William H. Rashbaum, and Michael Cooper. Yet, it does not ring true. A picture is worth a thousand words that will keep our ears ringing as we recoil from this photo. Images have a way of searing themselves into our memory in a way that can’t be undone. We have an emotional memory, not just a rational one that is exemplified by words.

While terrorism is about causing fear — again an emotion — we do have to account for our conduct in these extreme times when adrenaline is running high.

At my home, to at least offset this, we turn off all media. I couldn’t believe my sons’ explanation when they got home about one brother running over the other one. So I found a place to read about this, and I recoiled after seeing the picture. Still, we all know that terrorism, like crime,“leads if it bleeds” with the established media. The established media fixates on the domestic-violence or crime-of-passion aspect of terrorism, and it, too, inculcates more fear in all of us.

Boston has great resonance for terrorists. Selecting the Boston Marathon has great impact and it is going to be felt among the upper middle class: healthy, white, high-income earners who are non-smokers and non-drinkers (though maybe pancake-and-syrup eaters)— those who attend the Boston Marathon or watch it.

Since: Apr 13

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

I do hope we all watch the cleanup or the damage control and hear the words Obama uttered – we should be careful not just to bracket the motives of these terrorists – but also make sure to remember that we are an immigrant nation. I hope we are not an Uncouth Nation, as Andrei S. Markovits said so well in 2004 for the Public Square Book series. And I hope we understand questions pertaining to The Veil, as Joan Wallach Scott explained in 2007. And finally, I hope we understand why Karl Marx wrote On the Jewish Question, as Anne Norton writes in On the Muslim Question.

Indeed, this week at the CUNY Graduate Center, we are having our last event for a fellowship I co-direct, funded by the former Secretary of the Treasury, Andrew Mellon, whose foundation started the John E. Sawyer Seminars on the Comparative Study of Cultures.

The United States that I love hunts down terrorists AND follows human rights during capture. Giving the worst criminal or terrorist the most dignity during captivity shows why we should not be feared as a nation and is the best antidote to terrorism.

We accept difference, as a nation, and we should champion our greatest strength – inclusivity – at these extreme moments if we want the character of the United States not to be judged harshly by the global community. Once all the adrenaline subsides, I hope we will all be witnesses at the Internal Affairs investigation about undue force.
http://ruthobrien.org/a-day-of-terror/

Since: Jan 13

Returning with a vengeance

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
We accept difference, as a nation, and we should champion our greatest strength – inclusivity – at these extreme moments if we want the character of the United States not to be judged harshly by the global community.
The Progressive rot is the only reason why. This country wasn't founded on that premise, and once the premise was adopted we've been in decline.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.

-- G.K. Chesterton

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

This cracks me up:

"Selecting the Boston Marathon has great impact and it is going to be felt among the upper middle class: healthy, white, high-income earners who are non-smokers and non-drinkers (though maybe pancake-and-syrup eaters)— those who attend the Boston Marathon or watch it."

Because we know all those Kenyan and Ethiopian frontrunners fit that description. Same with all the veterans in the wheelchair division and average Puerto Rican and Brazilian highbrow snobs who stand and cheer in Framingham Center on Waverly St.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

-Clayton Bigsby wrote:
This cracks me up:
"Selecting the Boston Marathon has great impact and it is going to be felt among the upper middle class: healthy, white, high-income earners who are non-smokers and non-drinkers (though maybe pancake-and-syrup eaters)— those who attend the Boston Marathon or watch it."
Because we know all those Kenyan and Ethiopian frontrunners fit that description. Same with all the veterans in the wheelchair division and average Puerto Rican and Brazilian highbrow snobs who stand and cheer in Framingham Center on Waverly St.
Facts must be ignored to fit the leftist, America-hating narrative.

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

-tip- wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts must be ignored to fit the leftist, America-hating narrative.
That was her way of working in the "one percent" talking point. She was all set with a Tea Party reference, but then the perps turned out to be Muzzies, so she wrote a piece on police brutality.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

WTH does she think the NDAA is all about?

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
WTH does she think the NDAA is all about?
She's OK with that as long as the arrests and drone strikes are directed against white, Christian Tea Party members and returning veterans.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
President Obama violated Constitution in 2012 12 min Black Rhino 97
Iraq - The George W. Bush War 15 min Black Rhino 137
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 17 min Black Rhino 60
The George Zimmerman Case! (Apr '13) 39 min Pale Rider 7,664
'Annie's Law' pushed to prevent DUIs 1 hr Big Johnson 1
Deported illegal immigrants return repeatedly |... (Dec '10) 2 hr Amigo 51
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 5 hr Pale Rider 2,700
•••
•••