Burger boy mainliner early to late 60's

Burger boy mainliner early to late 60's

Posted in the Columbus Forum

looking

United States

#1 Oct 4, 2011
Hey I am lookiung for anyone with info and poics of this place, preferably with the car hops in them.... My mother worked there in the mid to late 60's and has since passed. And love to hear any stories from anyone who may have worked there...... So if anyone knows anyone who may have worked there please pass this on......
looking

United States

#2 Oct 4, 2011
sorry for the typo but that was suppose to say pics... sorry
tip

United States

#3 Oct 4, 2011
looking wrote:
sorry for the typo but that was suppose to say pics... sorry
Do you mean the BBF?

http://columbusrestauranthistory.com/restaura...
Spooktackular

United States

#4 Oct 4, 2011
looking wrote:
Hey I am lookiung for anyone with info and poics of this place, preferably with the car hops in them.... My mother worked there in the mid to late 60's and has since passed. And love to hear any stories from anyone who may have worked there...... So if anyone knows anyone who may have worked there please pass this on......
look up a Robert Hupp in Lancaster.
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#5 Oct 4, 2011
Go to the Images section in google, and type in "burger boy food-o-rama" and see what pops up. Next try "burger boy foodorama". You'll find a ton of pictures.
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#6 Oct 4, 2011
Oh yeah, BBF became Borden Burger, so seach on that term as well. As is often the case, the big corporation took a successful operation and screwed it up. BBF closed a few years after Borden took over.
Dr Bradley Omar

Cleveland, OH

#7 Oct 5, 2011
Burger Boy Mainliner was different than BBF and was not associated with them in any way.
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#8 Oct 5, 2011
Dr Bradley Omar wrote:
Burger Boy Mainliner was different than BBF and was not associated with them in any way.
Burger Boy Mainliner was on Livingston Ave. near I-70. Hard to believe they weren't associated in some way.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#9 Oct 5, 2011
Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Burger Boy Mainliner was on Livingston Ave. near I-70. Hard to believe they weren't associated in some way.
Roy Tuggle.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1998-09-09/n...
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#10 Oct 5, 2011
Big Johnson wrote:
Sounds like "Burger Boy" was the main brand, and "Foodorama" and "Mainliner" were different formats. Kind of like Kmart, Big Kmart, Super Kmart, etc. There is a Frisch's "Mainliner" on US 50 just east of Mariemont (Cincinnati). It looks like a regular Frisch's, the Mainliner sign must be left over from the carhop days.
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#11 Oct 5, 2011
Not that it atters, but I meant just WEST of Mariemont. I guess it is the original Frisch's location that opened up in 1939 called "The Mainliner". Sounds like Mr. Tuggle is a copy cat.

Here's the original Frisch's. You can see the Mainliner sign:

http://www.bing.com/maps/...
Enzyte Bob

Miramar Beach, FL

#12 Oct 5, 2011
Completely off topic, but found a Frisch's FAQ page:

Q. When did Cincinnati’s first Drive-in restaurant open?

A. Cincinnati’s first year round Drive-in restaurant opened in Fairfax in 1939. It was called “The Mainliner”

Q. What was the first Frisch’s restaurant in Cincinnati?

A. In 1905, Samuel Frisch operated a small café on Freeman Avenue in downtown.

Q. Where did the name “Frisch’s Mainliner” originate?

A. Frisch’s Mainliner is named after a tri-motor passenger plane that landed nearby Cincinnati’s first airport, Lunken airfield.

Q. When was Cincinnati’s first Big Boy sandwich sold?

A. Cincinnati’s first Big Boy sandwich was sold at the Mainliner in 1946.

Q. When was the first Big Boy Drive-in restaurant opened?

A. In 1948, Dave Frisch opened the first Big Boy Drive-in in the city with eight counter seats and 60 parking spaces on Central Parkway. While the building has changed, the location for "Big Boy One" remains the same.

Rose

Morgantown, WV

#13 Oct 19, 2011
Oh my goodness! I actually carhopped there in the late 60's. Ruffled white belly tickler, black stretch pants (with stirups!), white Go-Go boots and an ugly hat no body would wear. Yikes!

The Burger Boy Mainliner was your typical 1950-1960 drive-in, hot rod, hang-out spot. The BBF was a precursor to Wendy's; totally dull, square like their burgers.
Rose

Morgantown, WV

#14 Oct 19, 2011
The Burger Boy Mainliner, the BBF and Wendys were all started and initially run by the same person, Roy Tuggle.
Rose

Morgantown, WV

#15 Oct 20, 2011
Well, "disagree," it's been a long time since I worked there, but I'll never forget Roy Tuggle. Who did own and run it? In the 60's it was the Tuggles unless there was a time warp.

It was actually the father who owned everything and not Roy. Roy was the night manager of the Mainliner.

You're not confusing the Burger Boy Mainliner with the Big Boy are you?
Roy Boy

Canonsburg, PA

#16 Oct 28, 2011
looking wrote:
WOW - Great memories!! This Drive-In should be a Historical Landmark for Columbus. I was stationed for 4 years (1955 - 1959) at Lockbourne Airforce Base and my buddies and I would spend many evenings cruising this drive-in in my '54 Yellow Ford Convertible and then later in my new '57 Blue Chevy Bel-Air Convertible. This was your typical "Happy Days" and "American Graffiti" atmosphere. On the weekends the traffic was so heavy the Drive-In hired off duty policemen to direct traffic in and out of the Drive-In while kids such as me were cruising looking for a car of girls to park next to. Saturday Nights were particularly busy because the ever popular local DJ, Dr. Bop, was on the scene with a stack of sh-lac and his record machine performing live from the Burger Boy, radio station WCOL – AM 1230 on your dial, ah ya, I remember it well.
My favorite sandwich was a breaded veal cutlet with lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise; I can taste it as I'm typing.
There were days when all we had was a dollar for gas which was good enough to get us from the Base, to the Burger Boy, and back to the Base. Being regulars at the Burger Boy we had a couple of car hops that were our favorites and we always looked for an open parking place that they were working, especially when we were short on cash, this was before plastic and it was close to payday. There was many a day when we ran a tab with these car hops but they didn't mind, we were very good tippers on pay day which was twice a month.
No drugs or alcohol were ever used or noticed, none were ever needed, and still a good time was had by all – The atmosphere of the Burger Boy Drive-In was all the high any of us needed, it was all just good clean fun and a great time to remember.
I don't know if the Burger Boy Drive-In still exists but some of my most fond memories were of the 50's thanks to the Burger Boy Drive-In. Girls, Hot Rods, Classy Automobiles, Girls and more Girls! And oh yes, the breaded Veal Cutlet Sandwich with Lettuce, Tomato and Mayonnaise.
Donna Stevens

United States

#18 Jan 9, 2014
I carhoped at burger boy mainliner in early and mid 60,s,great times !!
Melody

Columbus, OH

#20 Oct 3, 2014
The BBF restaurants were co-owned by my great uncle, Roy Tuggle. They absolutely WERE associated, in every way! The original two restaurants were the Burger Boy Food-O-Rama and the Burger Boy Mainliner. Later, they simplified the name to BBF. There were more than 30 restaurants in Ohio, West Virginia, and Kentucky before they were bought by Borden Company, in 1969 for $10.5 million dollars.It's my family history, and I always find it terribly confusing when people say that these restaurants weren't associated in any way. Why is it that they have this opinion, and state it so audaciously? And they're absolutely wrong.

Sources that support this, The Columbus Dispatch Magazine, June 26, 1969 "The BBF Story" also, a book written by Dave Thomas, the founder of Wendy's, who was in the burger business with my great uncle.(Dave's way : a new approach to old-fashioned success
by Thomas, Dave, 1932-2002.) Info on my great uncle can be found on page 35-37ish :)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
50 pie recipes 14 min BizzyBee 7
How to make fresh pasta 15 min Just Saying 6
Happy Black History Month! 15 min Linda 113
Poll YOUR PICK - The Winner Of Super Bowl 50 36 min d pants 2
Football concussions 46 min Linda 2
Charlie Browns best friend Linus dies at 90. 54 min BizzyBee 1
blagg hizzrie mumf 1 hr They cannot kill ... 11
Part two...dedicated to Duke as promised 3 hr d pants 397
More from around the web

Personal Finance