Are the poor ignored in America?

Created by Oliver Canterberry on Apr 2, 2013

20 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#1 Apr 2, 2013
Yeah, to the tune of being the best-off "poor" people on the planet with I-phones, cable, broadband, cars, food stamps, subsidized housing, medical care...
If we "ignored" them any harder, they'd have private jets.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

#2 Apr 2, 2013
America is a rich land, and I am proud to be a citizen.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#4 Apr 2, 2013
By and large, no.

Actual poverty exists in the actual Third World.

Some politicians think that bringing the Third World here is a good idea...

A third of the world's population lives off of a few bucks a day.

So poor in America, is not really poor.

As to the actual poor, we do ignore them as a society, because foreign aid has proven itself a failure and so has military occupation.

Either mercenaries or Darwin...

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#5 Apr 2, 2013
Big Johnson wrote:
America is a rich land, and I am proud to be a citizen.
This country is flat broke

“Ludibrium est onus genio”

Since: Dec 11

Planet Earth

#6 Apr 2, 2013
Largely ignored, unless someone needs to use them as a tool.

“Paper Or Plastic?”

Since: Nov 11

Albakoikee

#7 Apr 2, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
Largely ignored, unless someone needs to use them as a tool.
As in votes? I'd agree with you there.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#8 Apr 2, 2013
TonyD2 wrote:
Largely ignored, unless someone needs to use them as a tool.
The poor are by and large locked up as D votes. They are only a tool for moving the votes of the middle class who blame economic problems on supply side policy (trickle down).
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#9 Apr 3, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
Yeah, to the tune of being the best-off "poor" people on the planet with I-phones, cable, broadband, cars, food stamps, subsidized housing, medical care...
If we "ignored" them any harder, they'd have private jets.
The "poor" in America are rich by the standards of the rest of the world due to food stamps, WIC, Section 8, free lunch programs, heating subsidies, HUD and vehicle vouchers if they are legal Somali immigrants through the hopelessly corrupt refugee program.
Duke for Mayor

Uniontown, OH

#10 Apr 3, 2013
-The-Artist- wrote:
<quoted text>
The poor are by and large locked up as D votes. They are only a tool for moving the votes of the middle class who blame economic problems on supply side policy (trickle down).
The Constitution says they each get a vote. Any political party, existing, old, or new is on equal footing.

Don't like it?

Start crafting the Amendments, and work to pass them.

I wouldn't bet on that strategy being very successful though.

woof
Reality Speaks

Columbus, OH

#11 Apr 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution says they each get a vote. Any political party, existing, old, or new is on equal footing.
Don't like it?
Start crafting the Amendments, and work to pass them.
I wouldn't bet on that strategy being very successful though.
woof
easier to erase than pass new.

erasing wording added after 1800 is the fix.

“Tenured Marxist Radical”

Since: Jan 13

Ivy League-ISIS

#12 Apr 3, 2013
Duke for Mayor wrote:
<quoted text>
The Constitution says they each get a vote. Any political party, existing, old, or new is on equal footing.
Don't like it?
Start crafting the Amendments, and work to pass them.
I wouldn't bet on that strategy being very successful though.
woof
How about the blue states go separate, and the new red country restricts voting to taxpayers?
evade

Middletown, OH

#13 Apr 3, 2013
Buying votes works. Witness the crazy rise of the Marxist. It's anyone's bet as to where we will land when the loaded cigar explodes in creamy's face.
Gary

Delaware, OH

#14 Apr 4, 2013
evade wrote:
Buying votes works. Witness the crazy rise of the Marxist. It's anyone's bet as to where we will land when the loaded cigar explodes in creamy's face.
The one whos name started with a O was easy to remember on election day.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#15 Apr 4, 2013
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
Yeah, to the tune of being the best-off "poor" people on the planet with I-phones, cable, broadband, cars, food stamps, subsidized housing, medical care...
If we "ignored" them any harder, they'd have private jets.
I've often thought that one of the best things about living in the UK, over the US is the level to which the safety net works to protect those with lower incomes. The idea that it's near impossible for me (or my peers) to become homeless, regardless of accident or circumstance is incredibly comforting.

I don't really think I could confidently claim that the US is the best place to live in poverty, with there being a number of nations that do go the extra mile to create a real and lasting support structure that goes far beyond measures in place in the US.
bill

Searcy, AR

#16 Apr 4, 2013
Not all people on government assistant are not bad some are just uneducated and have no foundation to build on. People make bad decisions they get hooked on drugs and just dont care about themselves or others, they abuse the system because it is easy to do there is no incentive to become self reliant. I had a aunt who had six kids abused government handouts on a life of self indulgence in drugs. Her children survived by people from churches and other relatives giving them food and clothing. They all are now adults one is prison the rest are on drugs and living on government aid. Seems like on going cycle with no end.
Oliver Canterberry

New Albany, OH

#17 Apr 5, 2013
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I've often thought that one of the best things about living in the UK, over the US is the level to which the safety net works to protect those with lower incomes. The idea that it's near impossible for me (or my peers) to become homeless, regardless of accident or circumstance is incredibly comforting.
I don't really think I could confidently claim that the US is the best place to live in poverty, with there being a number of nations that do go the extra mile to create a real and lasting support structure that goes far beyond measures in place in the US.
Just wait until the Muslims outnumber Whites (with no firearms) and then see if you still prefer the UK to the USA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Andrew Gnther 44 min Ohh 4
Channel 4, Super Bowl 49 and Snowmageddon 45 min Ohh 4
Who Do You Support 3 hr Pale Rider 50
American Sniper - the superhero movie 5 thumbs up! 5 hr GlitterSucks 33
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 6 hr Pale Rider 5,556
homosexuality is a "lifestyle choice" 7 hr d pantz 243
Are you planning to see the movie American Sniper 7 hr GlitterSucks 76
Xenos Christian Fellowship is a CULT! (Jul '12) 17 hr Old Timer 1,041
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:43 am PST

NFL 8:43AM
Jimmy Haslam: Browns have to get a QB in 2015
Bleacher Report 9:17 AM
Jimmy Haslam Speaks on Browns' 2015 QB Situation
Bleacher Report12:23 PM
Manziel's Teammates Discuss QB's Rookie Season
Yahoo! Sports12:24 PM
Report: Cleveland Browns 'wrecked' by Johnny Manziel's rookie season
NBC Sports12:46 PM
Teammate: Manziel was a "100 percent joke" as a rookie