Somali president to appeal to local c...

Somali president to appeal to local community | The Columbus Di...

There are 167 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Oct 5, 2009, titled Somali president to appeal to local community | The Columbus Di.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

The new president of Somalia must convince not only those in his war-ravaged country that he can bring peace and stability but also the thousands of refugees who have found sanctuary in the United States.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

steve_stiffler

Grove City, OH

#26 Oct 5, 2009
Teacher Coach wrote:
"Land of the Free," thank you for sharing your positivity, also. "Ron," I would have no problem with their moving into my neighborhood. My neighbors right now include people from India, Honduras, Afghanistan, Mexico, and America. We all get along just fine. We enjoy sharing items from our garden with them and our daughter attends school with them. As far as unions go, that is certainly not my call. Incidentally, I am not assigned to a teaching duty this Monday. I wouldn't want any of you to think I was taking time away from my classroom to engage in such highly intellectual bantering. But thankfully your children do have people like me educating and teaching them daily. I don't discriminate against anyone, including the unfortunate children born into our very own country to American-bred bigoted, nearsighted individuals.
Thank God you don't teach my kid. Your liberal crap wouldn't go over very well in my school district.
Super Girl

Bowling Green, OH

#27 Oct 5, 2009
Teacher Coach wrote:
"Land of the Free," thank you for sharing your positivity, also. "Ron," I would have no problem with their moving into my neighborhood. My neighbors right now include people from India, Honduras, Afghanistan, Mexico, and America. We all get along just fine. We enjoy sharing items from our garden with them and our daughter attends school with them. As far as unions go, that is certainly not my call. Incidentally, I am not assigned to a teaching duty this Monday. I wouldn't want any of you to think I was taking time away from my classroom to engage in such highly intellectual bantering. But thankfully your children do have people like me educating and teaching them daily. I don't discriminate against anyone, including the unfortunate children born into our very own country to American-bred bigoted, nearsighted individuals.
Immigrants from India, Honduras, Afghanistan, and Mexico are very much different than those from Somalia. At least from what I have experienced, they embrace our culture while still holding onto their own...they find a balance between the two. Somalis do not do this. I see Somali children embracing American culture and speaking English, but their parents are resistant...and with you being a teacher who interacts with these kids' parents, you should know this - although I doubt you will admit it on here...
civpilot

Columbus, OH

#28 Oct 5, 2009
Ron wrote:
Watch out....the president of Somalia may just request Asylum as soon as he gets here.
Whenever I drive to an appointment during the day I see Somalis everywhere just walking and driving around. Do they have jobs or do we all pay for their welfare?
We have to pay for their welfare. They're "refugees" so they get housing vouchers through CMHA for free housing, they get free food & money through the Dept of Job & Family Services, they get free cars through social service agencies. They're not trying to learn our culture and our language because they don't care. Send them all back and let them sort it out. We need to take care of our own people first.
Super Girl

Bowling Green, OH

#29 Oct 5, 2009
One last point: the way this article is written, it appears that Somalis see America as only a temporary safe-haven...they are only here because their country is currently too dangerous to survive...almost as to say they don't even want to be here, just sticking around because it was easiest to get into this country...they are using our country and its resources and even advocating Somalis to send OUR recources back to their country and its people.
Common Sense

Canal Winchester, OH

#30 Oct 5, 2009
Teacher Coach wrote:
As a coach/teacher at a local high school, I have interaction with Somali students on a daily basis. Thankfully they have not been branded with nor scarred by your ridiculous and ignorant comments. Look in your own mirror and then judge the only person you should be judging. I, for one, am thankful they have a place where they can seek refuge, and they have concerned American people working with them to help them assimilate. Of course they want to maintain their religion and their customs. Who wouldn't? If you are not in alignment with their beliefs, religion, and customs, that is fine. But share some respect. Another thing that is beautiful about our country is that we have choices. Why don't all of YOU choose to be positive for once and get lives of your own rather than pointing fingers elsewhere?
Well Teaching Coach, you must be in the minority because EVERY teacher I have spoken with has had problems dealing with the Somalians: bad attitudes, refusing to participate in class, non-existent parental support, etc. The teachers I have spoken with are frustrated, but keep silent because they need their jobs. I know there are a few out there that value education. That's great, as long as they are working toward U.S. citizenship and paying their own way without taxpayer assistance. Teaching Coach, if you want to assimilate them that's fine, but do NOT chastise your fellow Americans for voicing our opinions when we are paying for them and paying your paycheck.
CSD

United States

#31 Oct 5, 2009
They love the USA. You don't see too many of them going back do you ? They are not going to turn their backs on: free food, free housing, free education, and abundant economic opportunity with law & order. What a shameful nation the USA is, I can hardly stand it. Maybe I will leave ?
The Happy Crab

Intercession City, FL

#32 Oct 5, 2009
Hey, I have no problem with any one coming here (as long as they came here legally) and becoming a part of this great melting pot. After all, few of us (including me) have a Native American heritage, so our ancestors came from another country.
Where I do have a problem with is that so many refuse to learn English (expecting us to learn their language), and demanding that we change our ways to meet their standards and refusing to become a part of the community, all the time, spewing their hatred of America.
It is time that we say "screw all of you; quit using and abusing our system, and if you do not like it here, get the hell out and go back to your garbage pit of a country, where ever it may be".
Americanism

Howell, MI

#33 Oct 5, 2009
Take back America wrote:
Go back to your **** pit country and get rid of your walmart cards. Leave the ohio direct cards for those Ohioans that needs them. Boy would the Dmv be much better with out them.
Who's American? I'm asking this question to all those people who's posting their pathetic/ignorant ideas here...!! Are you Native Indian(Native American)? If not, keep your nonsense Somali hating ignorant ideas to yourself.
Ron

Palo Alto, CA

#34 Oct 5, 2009
Teacher Coach wrote:
"Land of the Free," thank you for sharing your positivity, also. "Ron," I would have no problem with their moving into my neighborhood. My neighbors right now include people from India, Honduras, Afghanistan, Mexico, and America.
Can you please explain what is the "virute" of living in a neighborhood with people from every country in the world? I mean, other than make you feel like a nice accepting person who loves cultures. And why do you have to force than onto other people and if they disagree you call them bigots? I know that knowing other cultures is good but you can do that without having them living in your block. You can read, travel, and experience other cultures in their own land.

Cultural integration is a nice and noble concept but it doesn't work. We all, for the most part, like to be with our own. That is the nature of human beings. No, I am not advocating segregation but that is really the way it works. That is why Mexicans, Somalies, Italians, etc...have their own neighborhoods, marry each other (for the most part), make friends with people from their culture, etc...

In the past it worked because people came here with a desire to integrate and become Ameicans. They learned the language, taught it to their kids, swore allegiance to the land of the free, etc.. Now it is different. Very different.
Captain Jack

Hilliard, OH

#35 Oct 5, 2009
number one wrote:
He had to come here to talk to them. There are'nt any left in Somalia.
Just the pirates! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!
sue

Sunbury, OH

#36 Oct 5, 2009
A few years back I moved into an apartment. Without realizing it I was the only person that was not a somalia. I lasted 3 months. It was a nightmare.The smells,rudeness, and the non Englsh speaking people. They would use the bathroom in the hall and leave it.As far as I could tell none of them worked.Once a month they would grocery shop, bringing in more groceries than I have ever bought.The kids run wild.Parents for the most part were so rude to me. Finally I go to my car and the windshiueld was shot out. I could not prove it.I moved out having to break a lease.For those of you who as usual defend these ceatures, try living near them.
Cracker Jack

Hilliard, OH

#37 Oct 5, 2009
Americanism wrote:
<quoted text>..
Who's American? I'm asking this question to all those people who's posting their pathetic/ignorant ideas here...!! Are you Native Indian(Native American)? If not, keep your nonsense Somali hating ignorant ideas to yourself.
How? HOW? That better?
What are you the great buffalo chief or what? The great no dog running or what? Get a real life would you? Please stop brow beating the white european folks that came here to get awy from your type!
Fuckjareers

UK

#38 Oct 5, 2009
Hmmmmm wrote:
I'm just wondering...would it be considered racist and hateful if I wished this guy would ask all Somalis to go back home?
You know, if they were here to become part of the USA and our "melting pot" culture, I really, truly wouldn't mind. But it seems to me they just want to bring their culture (and religion) here, and impose it on us -- then call us prejudiced if we don't agree.
Now let's see what kind of names I get called...
Do you think any Somali out there would give a shit about how you think of them? Dont you know you are the lowest of all living creatures? Am even ashamed of replying to a kaffir like you..........they say you bastards evolved from pigs.....but those are all lies.....even a pig is more valuable than you lot.
confederacy of dunces

Washington Court House, OH

#39 Oct 5, 2009
I find it interesting that history is forgotten. Somalia and Ethiopia both were bit players caught in the Cold War. At different times during the 60's the US and the USSR were allied with both. Where do you think all the weapons came from? Those weapons helped create the war lords and contributed to the mess that exists today. The complaints about welfare etc. reflect the disconnect between our past actions and their current costs. It makes me wonder what unforeseen consequences and costs there will be 20-40 years after the current wars are settled. Perhaps by then the world leaders in China and India will treat a third rate US the way the US has been and is treating the rest of the world. Using our size and power to bully the rest of the world is creating some bad karma that will have many long term consequences that will also become disconnected from the action that caused them. I wish we would remember that we are all human beings and no one is perfect.
FED UP

Columbus, OH

#40 Oct 5, 2009
And you wonder why the country is going broke. We can't take care of the people that were born were and yet our govt gives these people free cars, food and houseing and this guys tells them to send the money back to there home!! What is wrong with this picture!!! I am so sick of this govt giving others free rides and yet our unemployment is over 10 percent!!! I bet we paid for this guy to come over here, hell he might stay and start picking up trash around here and send the money back to Somilia too!!
FED UP

Columbus, OH

#41 Oct 5, 2009
Also, did we forget what they did to our Americans over there dragging them in the streets. Screw them, send them all back!!
GoOhio

Plymouth, MA

#42 Oct 5, 2009
Is it so difficult to be pro-American without being anti-everything else?
I would welcome Somolians to my neighborhood only if they would be willing to participate; unfortunately, they seem content to remain isolated ... but, so do the other "diverse" cultures in the area; the Ghandian, the Mexican, the "African Americans," and on, and on, and on
Ron

Palo Alto, CA

#43 Oct 5, 2009
sue wrote:
.For those of you who as usual defend these ceatures, try living near them.
Of course they won't. They just love the fact that Columbus seems cultural because they can see these people walking with their scarfs around and they feel good that we are diverse.
Ron

Palo Alto, CA

#44 Oct 5, 2009
confederacy of dunces wrote:
I find it interesting that history is forgotten. Somalia and Ethiopia both were bit players caught in the Cold War. At different times during the 60's the US and the USSR were allied with both. Where do you think all the weapons came from? Those weapons helped create the war lords and contributed to the mess that exists today..
Of course, we were waiting for you. I was wondering when you would show up to the discussion. The liberal that comes back with the "it is our fault for giving them weapons". So what do you want now, for the U.S. to pay restoration to Ethiopia and Somalia? Paleeze.
rebel

Columbus, OH

#45 Oct 5, 2009
If they don't want to assimilate they shoud return, and why would they get ANY tax dollars? Who approved that?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sean Hannity 1 hr White Fangs 1,051
Now it has a name: Crossfire Hurricane 7 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 262
Morgan Freeman | Just Another ,,,,,,, 15 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Elliot Rodger said_ No Girls Smiled At Me (May '14) 16 hr Yort 50
President Trump says Venezuela has freed Americ... 17 hr Reality Speaks 6
N.Korea wants Peace? Then destroy Their NUKES 19 hr Capt Pepe 10
News Democrats say FBI probe makes them unwilling to... 20 hr Reality Speaks 13

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages