Somali president to appeal to local community | The Columbus Di...

The new president of Somalia must convince not only those in his war-ravaged country that he can bring peace and stability but also the thousands of refugees who have found sanctuary in the United States. Full Story
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Go Home

Columbus, OH

#3 Oct 5, 2009
I would be willing to buy a couple tickets for any of them that would be willing to go back!

What a bunch of rude people! And I thought the French were bad!

I only see them at Circle K anyways!
Angry Young American

Circleville, OH

#5 Oct 5, 2009
So this gentleman is the head of a government "which controls only part of the battered capital of Mogadishu"? That'd be a pretty crowded neighborhood if all the Somalis in the US went home with him.
DollarBill

Columbus, OH

#6 Oct 5, 2009
Finally someone in that community speaking out against the radicals. We are going to have to live with these guys so at least let's work with the reasonalble ones (of which this guys seems to be one).
Hmmmmm

Apple Creek, OH

#7 Oct 5, 2009
I'm just wondering...would it be considered racist and hateful if I wished this guy would ask all Somalis to go back home?

You know, if they were here to become part of the USA and our "melting pot" culture, I really, truly wouldn't mind. But it seems to me they just want to bring their culture (and religion) here, and impose it on us -- then call us prejudiced if we don't agree.

Now let's see what kind of names I get called...
Captain Jack

Columbus, OH

#8 Oct 5, 2009
Maybe they could use our little boat on the river to pirate a tanker on their way home? Arggggggg!
Mimi

Tiffin, OH

#9 Oct 5, 2009
IamSomali wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well another barking dog. Urf Urf Urf keleb who let these mad dogs out of their cages?. Dog woman shut up and bow to us. Being this obsessed with Somalis just shows your incurable obsession with us. do you see any of us obsessing with your lot like you are with us? And now we are not going anywhere so let your nightmare continue yes.Eheheh.find a cure for your rabies as well.
Oh yeah, I'm obsessed. Point proven.
olesparky

United States

#10 Oct 5, 2009
Hmmmmm wrote:
I'm just wondering...would it be considered racist and hateful if I wished this guy would ask all Somalis to go back home?
You know, if they were here to become part of the USA and our "melting pot" culture, I really, truly wouldn't mind. But it seems to me they just want to bring their culture (and religion) here, and impose it on us -- then call us prejudiced if we don't agree.
Now let's see what kind of names I get called...
I would say that you are a brilliant American citizen who is looking out for the best interest of YOUR country!!!!
Common Sense

Columbus, OH

#11 Oct 5, 2009
"It's exciting for us, and I presume for them, for their president to come here," said Dan Williamson, Coleman's spokesman. "They're a growing part of the community. For their president to come here is a huge honor."

I have a big problem with this kind of mentality. "Their president" referring to a leader of Somalia. If you immigrate to a new country, that new country becomes your country. You adapt to the new country's culture and work to become a citizen. This country has bent over backwards to Somali immigrants giving them housing, education, healthcare, jobs. Sorry folks, but in my opinion, if they have no intentions of becoming United States citizens, then they need to follow "their president" back home to Somalia to correct 'their country's' problems. Just looking at the number of Somalians in Columbus and Minneapolis/St Paul alone shows they have an army to take home in our country.
Take back America

Grove City, OH

#12 Oct 5, 2009
Go back to your SH*T pit country and get rid of your walmart cards. Leave the ohio direct cards for those Ohioans that needs them. Boy would the Dmv be much better with out them.
Yankee

Walbridge, OH

#14 Oct 5, 2009
It is funny how a country itself made up of freeman,beggers,indentured servants and slaves.Look down on other that want to come to America for opportunity and as for the Mormons making a comment, I don't see any of them making trips back to Europe. Even after they came unwelcomed in 1830.
Some people need to research their roots and see how they got here and what was their social statues. It is easy to forget and harder to remember.
Ron

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Oct 5, 2009
Common Sense wrote:
"Their president" referring to a leader of Somalia. If you immigrate to a new country, that new country becomes your country. You adapt to the new country's culture and work to become a citizen..
That's the way it was at the turn of the century and they were welcomed. Nowadays the come here and demand WE assimilate and accept their customs while at the same time they have little regard for ours. All in the name of diversity. And some people still support this because they have that romantic idea of immigration and how it formed this country. Can't you see how different it is now with Mexicans waving their flags around and demanding bilingual education? In the past people came here with a desire to work and be successful. Now we get people who have no allegiance to our flag and just come here for a personal financial benefit.
Teacher Coach

Columbus, OH

#17 Oct 5, 2009
As a coach/teacher at a local high school, I have interaction with Somali students on a daily basis. Thankfully they have not been branded with nor scarred by your ridiculous and ignorant comments. Look in your own mirror and then judge the only person you should be judging. I, for one, am thankful they have a place where they can seek refuge, and they have concerned American people working with them to help them assimilate. Of course they want to maintain their religion and their customs. Who wouldn't? If you are not in alignment with their beliefs, religion, and customs, that is fine. But share some respect. Another thing that is beautiful about our country is that we have choices. Why don't all of YOU choose to be positive for once and get lives of your own rather than pointing fingers elsewhere?
Land of the Free

United States

#18 Oct 5, 2009
Thank you "Teacher Coach"! I am also frequently blessed to be able to work with many Somali families on a daily basis. I have had many positive interactions with these individuals, and find that they, like many of us, are seeking for a place to raise their children safely and comfortably. Please, let us have some grace and dignity- and not worry so much about closing our hearts and our minds to others.
Captain Jack

Columbus, OH

#19 Oct 5, 2009
Teacher Coach wrote:
As a coach/teacher at a local high school, I have interaction with Somali students on a daily basis. Thankfully they have not been branded with nor scarred by your ridiculous and ignorant comments. Look in your own mirror and then judge the only person you should be judging. I, for one, am thankful they have a place where they can seek refuge, and they have concerned American people working with them to help them assimilate. Of course they want to maintain their religion and their customs. Who wouldn't? If you are not in alignment with their beliefs, religion, and customs, that is fine. But share some respect. Another thing that is beautiful about our country is that we have choices. Why don't all of YOU choose to be positive for once and get lives of your own rather than pointing fingers elsewhere?
What UNION would you have them join?
useless

Mesquite, TX

#20 Oct 5, 2009
send these ungreatful filthy barbaric people to their shid hole somalia and let them kill each other.
Ron

Palo Alto, CA

#21 Oct 5, 2009
Land of the Free wrote:
Thank you "Teacher Coach"! I am also frequently blessed to be able to work with many Somali families on a daily basis. I have had many positive interactions with these individuals, and find that they, like many of us, are seeking for a place to raise their children safely and comfortably. Please, let us have some grace and dignity- and not worry so much about closing our hearts and our minds to others.
Maybe you should move into their neighborhood...or have many of them move to yours. Put your money where you mouth is.
Super Girl

Bowling Green, OH

#22 Oct 5, 2009
I love my country and all that it has to offer to all immigrants, but I find it hard to digest the fact that when I observe the many Somalis I live among they don't love America.

Seems to me, they are using this great country ONLY to escape theirs which is in turmoil. They would rather create their own "little Somalias" than actually adapt to Columbus, Ohio, USA and its ways.

Many I have seen drive cars with "I love Somali" bumper stickers - if you love it so much, why are you here?

Most Somali adults do not speak or care to learn English. I see them around my neighborhood, but I never see them working anywhere...and from my many experiences with Somalis, they do not want to be bothered by Americans. They do not want to adapt to our country, so why should we adapt to them and their ways.

No other culture does this here...not that I've seen any way.
Teacher Coach

Columbus, OH

#23 Oct 5, 2009
"Land of the Free," thank you for sharing your positivity, also. "Ron," I would have no problem with their moving into my neighborhood. My neighbors right now include people from India, Honduras, Afghanistan, Mexico, and America. We all get along just fine. We enjoy sharing items from our garden with them and our daughter attends school with them. As far as unions go, that is certainly not my call. Incidentally, I am not assigned to a teaching duty this Monday. I wouldn't want any of you to think I was taking time away from my classroom to engage in such highly intellectual bantering. But thankfully your children do have people like me educating and teaching them daily. I don't discriminate against anyone, including the unfortunate children born into our very own country to American-bred bigoted, nearsighted individuals.
number one

Columbus, OH

#24 Oct 5, 2009
He had to come here to talk to them. There are'nt any left in Somalia.
Common Sense

Columbus, OH

#25 Oct 5, 2009
Ron wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the way it was at the turn of the century and they were welcomed. Nowadays the come here and demand WE assimilate and accept their customs while at the same time they have little regard for ours. All in the name of diversity. And some people still support this because they have that romantic idea of immigration and how it formed this country. Can't you see how different it is now with Mexicans waving their flags around and demanding bilingual education? In the past people came here with a desire to work and be successful. Now we get people who have no allegiance to our flag and just come here for a personal financial benefit.
I totally agree, Ron. One Nation Under God means nothing to them. It's as if they are squatters, instead of coming to America to become citizens, and accept our founding fathers documents as written.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 29 min pak yuda 31,008
Where are all the original legacy posters? 1 hr tranpsosition 239
Chevrolet Malibu Owners: Problems & Solutions (Jun '06) 1 hr Hector 2,717
Mother Shot Over Tennis Shoes 4 hr Canterbury 6
A blast from the past...50's. Enjoy! 5 hr They cannot kill ... 8
OBAMA Outperforms Reagan 5 hr Free Pizza 4 U 57
where is George of Hilliard? 6 hr They cannot kill ... 28
Bennett Smith gate stories from the victims poi... (May '13) 10 hr Statetheobvious 2,431
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE