Islamic veils: free choice or oppress...

Islamic veils: free choice or oppression? | The Columbus Dispatch

There are 156 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jul 30, 2010, titled Islamic veils: free choice or oppression? | The Columbus Dispatch. In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Sarah Tajammul of the Northwest Side wears a full-body Islamic garment called a niqab while out with her 18-month-old son, Zakareya, at the Hilliard library.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
JLe

Columbus, OH

#1 Jul 30, 2010
"Women have many choices in Islam even thought others don't know that".
idf kills kids

Plano, TX

#2 Jul 30, 2010
I wear a bag over my face because I scare infidel kids
YOU people

Columbus, OH

#3 Jul 30, 2010
those of you who claim to be for FREEDOM and LIBERTY should recognize that it is NOT a gov'ts place to tell people (women OR men) how to dress. Muslim women should have the RIGHT to express their devotion to to their religion freely just as Christian women have decided that it is okay to wear PANTS, however you won't catch an Amish woman in pants. And her head will be covered by her "bonnet", Jewish men will NOT give up their Yamakah (however it's spelled), many Christian "sects" here in the U.S. don't ALLOW women to cut their hair. Worry about your OWN, take care of your OWN, if it is no more than you and your little inbred future meth-users being a little "freaked-out" at Wal-Mart. Get a life, and get over it!
islam sucks

London, UK

#4 Jul 30, 2010
lol
Lfod

Defiance, OH

#5 Jul 30, 2010
Way to go FRANCE. Assimilate to US or get the heck out ya terrorist sacks of swine.
A CCS HS teacher

Reynoldsburg, OH

#6 Jul 30, 2010
YOU people wrote:
those of you who claim to be for FREEDOM and LIBERTY should recognize that it is NOT a gov'ts place to tell people (women OR men) how to dress. Muslim women should have the RIGHT to express their devotion to to their religion freely just as Christian women have decided that it is okay to wear PANTS, however you won't catch an Amish woman in pants. And her head will be covered by her "bonnet", Jewish men will NOT give up their Yamakah (however it's spelled), many Christian "sects" here in the U.S. don't ALLOW women to cut their hair.
I agree with you. And, there are quite a few fundamentalist Christian women that do not wear pants (or cut their hair).

Just watch "19 kids" (or whatever number they're up to right now) and counting. The men in the family (inluding the young kids) NEVER wear shorts. EVER. And the women NEVER wear pants. They wear ankle-length dresses.

I saw a recent episode where the Duggars were playing on their homemade slip and slide in their backyard; their dress didn't change. As they said it, they dressed modestly. And guess what? If you were to ask any of the girl Duggars if they're being oppressed, they'd say no.

I think it's unfair for people to automatically assume that Muslim women are being oppressed because they "have" to wear clothes that are not "Western". One of the things that I respect about the Muslim religion is that it recognizes the temptations of the flesh for the human beings; so, men dress modestly (pants, no shorts) as do women.

Think about it-- if one of the Ten Commandments is "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife", why would TRUE Christians be opposed to men or women dressing modestly?
Take it off

United States

#9 Jul 30, 2010
"Sarah Tajammul is like any other young American mother, except for what she wears."

I highly doubt that. Most American mother's are not treated like chattel in their own homes. Most American mother's can travel freely amongst society, and be seen in the presence of other men. Most American mother's can own property in their name. The list goes on and on for things that this American mother is almost certainly prohibited by her husband from doing thanks Islam.

I don't really care if she wants to walk around like a druid. That's her choice. But, I wish American businesses would have the intestinal fortitude to ban face covering clothing in their establishments. People wearing them are a danger to other patrons, especially in banks. Almost every bank says I can't wear a firearm (CCW) in their business, yet any fool can put on a burqa and walk into a bank and withdraw any amount of money under someone else's name while wearing these. Few banks will make them prove their identity because they are scared of being called racist etc. I don't think this woman, or any other Muslim, would steal like that, but banning them across the board in those types of establishments would keep thieves from using them to accomplish their theft.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Wilbur

Zanesville, OH

#10 Jul 30, 2010
Religion is stupid.
SomeoneWhoKnowsB etter

Canal Winchester, OH

#11 Jul 30, 2010
A CCS HS teacher wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you. And, there are quite a few fundamentalist Christian women that do not wear pants (or cut their hair).
Just watch "19 kids" (or whatever number they're up to right now) and counting. The men in the family (inluding the young kids) NEVER wear shorts. EVER. And the women NEVER wear pants. They wear ankle-length dresses.
I saw a recent episode where the Duggars were playing on their homemade slip and slide in their backyard; their dress didn't change. As they said it, they dressed modestly. And guess what? If you were to ask any of the girl Duggars if they're being oppressed, they'd say no.
Yes, they would say that they're not being oppressed. But when you're raised in an environment where you are oppressed from birth and you are brainwashed to believe that a) it's god's will and b) you are being a good religious person by submitting to the oppression, then it's still oppression and it's not a choice. When your only options are to either accept the oppression or run away and cut yourself off from your family and community, then it's not a choice. Want to know what happens to muslim women who choose to run away from their family and community because they realize they are being oppressed? Look here: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599...
Herb Crites

Pickerington, OH

#12 Jul 30, 2010
No Viels!
bill carty

Reynoldsburg, OH

#13 Jul 30, 2010
Religous freedom mean that a person religous beliefs as long as they don't harm other is just that religeous freedoom.

Should moslem women chose to wear the the burga is their choice based on theior religous convictions.

Yet when they go for a driver's licens or to cash a check they should have to show their face. If they don't wish to then they should be denied. While they have a right to their religous beliefs we have a right as a person to know who we are dealing with. How else can we assure the person we are talking with or doing business with is who they say they are. It is for their safety and security as well as ours.

No the real question is wether the burga is an afront to women's right, or is it part of the continuing unigueness of our country to embrace all of the different culture and religions that help make the us one greast country.

Bill Carty
Planning 3

Columbus, OH

#14 Jul 30, 2010
The Duggars are beyond creepy. I can't wait until one of their spawn does something crazy, be it tomorrow or 20 years from now - it will happen. That family is not normal.
Really

Columbus, OH

#16 Jul 30, 2010
SomeoneWhoKnowsBetter wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they would say that they're not being oppressed. But when you're raised in an environment where you are oppressed from birth and you are brainwashed to believe that a) it's god's will and b) you are being a good religious person by submitting to the oppression, then it's still oppression and it's not a choice. When your only options are to either accept the oppression or run away and cut yourself off from your family and community, then it's not a choice. Want to know what happens to muslim women who choose to run away from their family and community because they realize they are being oppressed? Look here: http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599...
To use the term "brainwash" is to immediately reject the possibility that the subject of "brainwashing" has any rational capacity or intellectual curiosity. This runs counter to the human condition, as demonstrated in your reference to runaways.

The veil has less to do with the will of God than with accepted societal norms. My mother refused to allow me to wear halter- or tube-tops as a teen; my Indian friends were allowed to expose their navels in public. It's a social preference. My daughter won't be wearing any tube-tops or mini skirts either, that much I know. Not all Muslims wear a veil; it's more common in certain regions (Northeast Africa, the Gulf) than others.

To round the bend, the word "muslim" means "one who submits;" "Islam" means "submission." This is not gender-specific, and men are as much bound by the intricate rules of modesty as are women. They vary from city to city, family to family, but submission (or "accept[ing] the oppression") is seen as a good thing in the religion.

And no, I have no ties to Islam, I'm just a good American citizen who tries to understand the world around me without resorting to the false duality of "Us vs. Them."

Since: Jun 09

Columbus, OH

#17 Jul 30, 2010
JLe wrote:
"Women have many choices in Islam even thought others don't know that".
There is also 'honor killings'. A long held Islam tradition of Muslim men legally killing their spouses or daughters over a dubious slight that may dis-honor his family.
roger - Columbus

Wheelersburg, OH

#19 Jul 30, 2010
Have we really fallen behind France in homeland security issues? I f this is for ID purposes, I have no problem.
David

Groveport, OH

#22 Jul 30, 2010
For any situation, including law enforcement needs, the face needs to be uncovered. It is an identification necessity, and a United States custom that needs to be accomodated.
brutus brutus

New Albany, OH

#23 Jul 30, 2010
I love how we protect their RIGHT TO WEAR THESE VEILS, but when you have an opposing view of this and state it on the Dispatch's messageboard on here, you get censored!?

I'm tired of this overly politically correct society trying to impose their opinion on how I should feel on me, and protecting Muslims rights over American's right.

Since: Dec 09

Columbus, OH

#24 Jul 30, 2010
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"

The burqa, niqb, and hijab are all expressions of religion. If we ban them, we must also ban yamulkes, the bonnets the Amish women wear (and those silly hats the men wear), the habits that nuns wear, collars on priests, etc. As much as I dislike religion, I don't want to live in that world.
Labisa

Columbus, OH

#25 Jul 30, 2010
Al-A'raaf - The Elevated Places

26. O children of Adam, We have indeed sent down to you clothing to cover your shame, and (clothing) for beauty; and clothing that guards against evil -- that is the best. This is of the messages of Allah that they may be mindful.

27. O children of Adam, let not the devil seduce you, as he expelled your parents from the garden, pulling off from them their clothing that he might show them their shame. He surely sees you, he as well as his host, from whence you see them not. Surely We have made the devils to be the friends of those who believe not.

MMA Translation, Qur'an, 7:26-27.
brutus brutus

New Albany, OH

#26 Jul 30, 2010
Mobbarelli wrote:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof"
The burqa, niqb, and hijab are all expressions of religion. If we ban them, we must also ban yamulkes, the bonnets the Amish women wear (and those silly hats the men wear), the habits that nuns wear, collars on priests, etc. As much as I dislike religion, I don't want to live in that world.
in the QURAN it preaches that it's OK to kill the INFIDEL.

So I guess thats ok to huh?

Times change and the system needs to adapt to the modern times.

No Burkas, it impedes on the freedoms of the general public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
SCOTUS ruling in AHCA 8 min knowitall 58
China takes over Smithfield is this Economic wa... 25 min Oliver Canterberr... 16
I've had 6 abort!ons so I'm definitely voting f... 48 min 3rd Trimester 16
News Cleveland craft brewer Platform to open brewpub... 2 hr d pants 12
Lions and tigers and what? Nile crocks? 6 hr UTrashy 20
How many ABOR TIONS do I have to get to get int... 6 hr UTrashy 2
Women who still wear Sears & Roebuck brazziers ... 7 hr UTrashy 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages