'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein we...

'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col...

There are 106 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 1, 2007, titled 'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Each week, Dispatch sports editor Ray Stein empties his mailbox and sorts through his e-mail, looking for the best comments and questions from readers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
John Strait of Denver- CO

Littleton, CO

#111 Jun 6, 2011
Someone just threw the SI magazine with Jim Tressel on the front cover. I put Sports Illustrated articles up there with old Mad magazines and National Lampoon parodies. As for George 'Dorfman-the door man' Dorhmann, the writer, I understand that he wrote and covered USC basket ball for a year. I'll bet that was a fun assignment.
J Hedley

United States

#113 Jun 16, 2011
With all the Jim Tressel bashing going on, I thought it would be important to make public some of the more unknown "feats" of Coach Tressel!

Brenden Krannitz is how I plan to remember Coach Tressel. Brenden was just a 15-year-old sophomore at Fisher Catholic High School in Lancaster, when melanoma cancer took him from our lives in December of 2007. In just 4 short months from being diagnosed, he was gone. You may ask what does Coach Tressel have to do with Brenden? The answer is a lot. One night while Coach Tressel and his wife were having dinner in Lancaster with a local couple, the topic of Brenden came up and how sad it was that a vibrant young man was fighting for his life at The James. After dinner, Coach Tressel and his wife went straight to the Hospital to meet Brenden, quite unannounced to Brenden and his parents, without any fanfare or attention to himself. In the next hour, Coach Tressel and his wife prayed with Brenden and his family for his recovery and talked football. Unfortunately for Coach Tressel, Brenden was a Florida State fan, not a Buckeye fan. Undeterred, Coach Tressel took it upon himself to call Coach Bobby Bowden the next day and arrange a phone call of encouragement to Brenden. Soon after, an autographed Florida State football helmet showed up to Brenden’s home.

Over the next several months, Coach Tressel made sure that Brenden had weekly visits from OSU football players to keep his spirits up. At Brenden’s wake at the High School, Coach Tressel sent three OSU football players to represent the OSU team and to pay their last respects to Brenden’s family.

Coach Tressel was always bigger than Ohio State Football. His selfless, caring acts, such as what he did for Brenden and his family prove what type of man Coach Tressel is and will always be. I am sure that Brenden is just one of many people that Coach Tressel touched while he was the coach of Ohio State. I hope that what Coach Tressel did for Brenden and his family is how he chooses to remember his time as coach of The Ohio State Buckeyes. As a diehard Buckeye fan, it is how I choose to remember him.

In the end it is not about wins and losses, it is about changing people’s lives. Coach Tressel’s record in this area is probably much more impressive than his record on the field.

For more information on Brenden Krannitz go to: http://www.redheadracing.webs.com/
Don Six

Columbus, OH

#115 Jul 27, 2011
Most successful pro sports franchises have good ownership( Steelers, Colts etc.) which means the Bengals don't have a chance. Brown kept Marvin Lewis, who has done nothing good for the franchise, when he had a chance to hire a good coach. Now, instead of getting some good players for Carson Palmer( which of course they must not need), he's standing on principle and won't trade him. I don't know who he thinks he's punishing. What a sad organization. We certainly have bigger problems in the world but this guy is ridiculus.
Pete Shier

State College, PA

#116 Jul 28, 2011
Pete Shier, head coach of the new Marucci Elite U14 Columbus team will be holding baseball tryouts on Saturday, August 6th from 12-4 pm at Avery Field - North in Dublin. Please email [email protected] if you have questions or are interested in attending the tryout.
Jane Ryan

Mount Vernon, OH

#117 Dec 2, 2011
The Buckeyes football team is now an "Urban Renewal!"
Joe Motil

Columbus, OH

#118 Sep 11, 2013
Hello, my High School buddy and I were talking about the 1967-68 school year hear in Central Ohio. We both played football. I played for East High School and he played for Eastmoore. I contend that East High defeated Bishop Watterson (Defending State Champs) at Harley field in September or October of 1967. Bishop Watterson defeated Arlington in 1966-67 for the State Chamipnship. I scored 4 touchdowns and had 1 called back and East went on to defeat the defending state champs by a score of 34 -12. He says that this did not happen! Is there any way of proving this? The article did appear in the Dispatch and the Citizen Journal at that time. I would love to prove him wrong. How can I find out?
I do know that East beat Watterson badly, the score you mention is probably correct. My brother John was the QB on Wattersons team. I ran into a pipefitter many years ago that started on defense for East and he told me that they keyed on my brother and murdered him. I think the guy played at Central State University. I recall my brother John telling me that he would never forget that game because of how tough East was was.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
easton 1 hr Tim 49
Somalis leaving homes friends USA to fight for ... 3 hr Oliver 1
News Travelers Headed Home Greeted by Extra Security... 3 hr Oliver 2
Does Seriouslady Look Like Rexella Impe? 4 hr Pale Rider 76
News New plans for legal pot sprouting like weeds 4 hr dpx55 5
US Muslim/American congressman linked to Musli... 4 hr They cannot kill ... 26
News Some areas of city are risky for pedestrians 5 hr They cannot kill ... 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages