'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col...

Each week, Dispatch sports editor Ray Stein empties his mailbox and sorts through his e-mail, looking for the best comments and questions from readers. Full Story
Jack Bolkovac

Hilliard, OH

#91 Mar 28, 2011
The many comments posted in the paper on the Tressel matter seem to reflect at least a 50-50 split as to the pro and con support for the coach. I would like to know, what is the actual percentage of letters that you receive on the matter. I, for one, am not so quick to judge the motives of a man that I know to be an honest, God-fearing individual. I taught and coached in a high school in Youngstown, Ohio for 36 years, I knew Jim Tressel's father, Lee, he often visited when looking for talent. I followed Jim Tressel at Youngstown and never heard of any rules violations that he was guilty of. Now, people are so quick to criticize, be careful, things are never what they often seem to be. Perfection was only found in one man, and he was crucified.
DALE MC CAMPBELL

Columbus, OH

#92 Mar 29, 2011
Hello, my High School buddy and I were talking about the 1967-68 school year hear in Central Ohio. We both played football. I played for East High School and he played for Eastmoore. I contend that East High defeated Bishop Watterson (Defending State Champs) at Harley field in September or October of 1967. Bishop Watterson defeated Arlington in 1966-67 for the State Chamipnship. I scored 4 touchdowns and had 1 called back and East went on to defeat the defending state champs by a score of 34 -12. He says that this did not happen! Is there any way of proving this? The article did appear in the Dispatch and the Citizen Journal at that time. I would love to prove him wrong. How can I find out?

Dale
len connor

Granville, OH

#93 Apr 1, 2011
I have listened and read numerous comments regarding Tressel's handling of the students athletes involved in the memorabilia controversy. Having been on the wrong end, and having witnessed others on the wrong end, of administrators, teachers and coaches all too willing to jump to conclusions that harm the reputation of youngsters, i am encouraged by the manner that Tressel handled this situation. Had Tressel gone to the school administration with the info derived from the email (i am hopefull that he considered the reputation of the source), the school would have had no choice but to forward such info to the NCAA, and thus unsubstantiated information would have appeared in the hungry media -- newspapers and news broadcasts. the reputations of the players would most certainly have been damaged without due process. And, we know not all of the initial information supplied was accurate (no drug dealing by the students). Thus, keeping the information to himself until further discovery of facts was the most honest response Tressel could have had.
Ralph

Columbus, OH

#94 Apr 3, 2011
Ray,
On RJ Umbergers quote after the Blackhawks game "I'm getting tired of it, quite frankly. This is our home ice and I'm sick of seeing it filled with other teams'(jerseys)" Well RJ I'm tired of paying over $1500 a season, for tickets and to come to a game and the team has healthy scratches cause of lack of effornt. CBJ should be a playoff team this season. But due to many player not practicing hard and showing little effort in games at times. Arniel had to impose healthy scratch to motivate players. Get your team to play hard every game, then the "Other Jerseys" will go away. It all starts with YOU!
Gary Teets

Columbus, OH

#95 Apr 11, 2011
No Regrets. There are very few days in a persons life that they don't regret something. For a person to say they have no regrets for an entire year is remarkable to me. I think you will have regrets if someone doesn't respond to that comment in an upcoming issue.

You should talk to Mr. Morrison about getting front page space.

Mr Howson needs to be called on this. I have voiced my displeasure with him and his boss; Mr. Priest in your mailbox. The fans deserve better.
sdangles

Columbus, OH

#96 Apr 17, 2011
The MAC Conference includes six major universities within the state of Ohio. All are excellent universities with excellent academic and athletic programs. Thousands of Ohio students attend these universities with many Columbus and central Ohio sttudents attending them. Why doesn't the Columbusx Dispatch cover the athletic programs from the schools. This is one big reason that I rarely buy a Dispatch - you don't cover the programs that interest me. No - Not everybody is an OSU fan!
Bob Cargin

Columbus, OH

#97 Apr 18, 2011
Why is it when I read the Dispatch Sports page, I feel like I've entered a time warp...backwards. There is virtually no Lacrosse covered anywhere except in the box scores / fine print, while even that is seriously incomplete. Three years ago, Lacrosse was labeled the fastest growing sport in America, it appears the Dispatch is vying for the slowest adapting paper in America award.

While time nor space allows here for details, look at the numbers of boys, girls, coaches, parents participating in the sport at all levels. Examine the number of tournaments, events, camps, clinics, television coverage all taking place in response to the growth of the sport. Compare the attendance between baseball and lacrosse games at The Ohio State University or any high school for that matter, and you will see the Dispatch is moving in a different direction, or not moving at all, from it's reader base.
Mike McGuire

Mesa, AZ

#98 Apr 21, 2011
Former Columbus Trap Shooter sets World Shotgun Shooting Record at Ben Avery in Phoenix, Arizona. Ben Avery Clay Target Center which has the largest shotgun shooting facility in the World hosted the "Shoot Em All" shotgun event April 21, 2011.

Shotgun shooter Mike McGuire shot the following 10 different clay target sports to win the event. FITASC, International (Olympic, Bunker) Trap, American Trap (Singles, Doubles & Handicap), American Skeet, International Skeet, Wobble Trap, Sporting Clays and 5-Stand.

This event is planned to be a future charity fund raiser for organizations like the USA Olympic Shotgun Shooting Team, SCTP or Clays for kids.

This is the first time in history 10 different shotgun shooting events have been shot in one day at one location. Paperwork has been filed with the Guiness Book of World Records. Results will not be known for 4-6 weeks.
K Roberts

Hilliard, OH

#99 May 11, 2011
I have come to accept that volleyball is not a premiere sport in Central Ohio, but when the OSU Men win the NCAA Div. I Championship and still only get a page 6 story.....???? Really, Dispatch, really? Can we not devote a little more space in your newspaper for the sports at OSU that are not embroiled in scandal?
Robert Smith

Columbus, OH

#100 May 15, 2011
"David: Even if the Buckeyes are required to vacate that win, I'm not sure how it reverses a 30-point spread."

Interesting concept. If a team is found guilty of playing multiple ineligible players, including its star quarterback, that doesn't "reverse" a 30-point spread.

No, it doesn't "reverse" the spread, but it does make that spread something other than a victory. I'll leave it to more analytical minds than mine to figure out how many points Pryor, Herron, et al. contributed to that spread, but I know that my own moral compass would not be comfortable with my touting of any personal victory if I knew that I had cheated to accomplish it. Perhaps that doesn't apply to the OSU side of the rivalry with TSUN.

susan

Hilliard, OH

#101 May 22, 2011
Factual errors irritate me. Shackleford is NOT "One ton of horseflesh." A Clydesdale might be; a working racehorse is lucky to hit 1000 pounds. Please get your facts straight.
David Stadge

Westerville, OH

#102 May 30, 2011
Well! Now that Jim Tressel's resignation is old news I am in a 'mood'(of some sort, I am just not sure what yet). I was one of those fans who railed against 'Tressel ball', his seeming intransigence when it came to embracing a 'faster is better' approach to the game, and the woeful spectacle the Buckeyes displayed on the national stage a couple of times. I suppose that the "be careful you may get what you wish for" adage is home to roost - to mix metaphors.

Was Tressel thrown under the bus by his superiors? It seems not, but that doesn't make me feel any more convinced of the integrity and motives of Gee and Smith. I believe in the end Jim Tressel was forced out by their collective failure to effectively plan and execute a strategy to deal with Tressel's violations of NCAA rules.

What is certain is that the OSU football program is not stronger this morning and I doubt it will be a year from now.

Sad.
davidpinkerton

Dublin, OH

#103 May 30, 2011
JIMTRESSEL, Is this the same school that would not interview Bob Huggins because he was to shady? I hope Ohio State never win another football game!
Tim Hannum

Westerville, OH

#104 May 30, 2011
Gary Pinkel would be an excellent choice to replace Tressel. 20 years as a D1 head coach, 7 1st place finishes and 6 seconds(in MAC and Big 12),has Ohio roots , grew up in Akron, trained under Don James at Kent St., 10 yrs. at Toledo, was in the running for national championship in 2007 until the last game and recruits and develops NFL caliber QB's (Blaine Gabbert and Chase Daniels).
MHayes

Wheeling, WV

#105 May 31, 2011
Maybe now is the time for OSU to start looking a little closer at the person that they are recruiting as well as the athlete.
Pryor has been bad news from day one when he wouldn't sign his letter of intent on national signing day and the day that he showed up with "Free Vick" written on his eye black.
Pryor has done what Maurice Clarrett and Troy Smith couldn't do, bring the institution that is Ohio State Football to it's knees. Without his "leadership" in this mess, Tressel wouldn't have had to be in the position to make the bad choices that he made.
We need more Craig Krenzels and less Terrell Pryors in the program. Hopefully Pryor gets what's coming to him and he ends up playing arena ball with Clarrett somewhere.
Good luck coach. Hopefully this may help you realize that sometimes it is better to leave rotten apples lay on the ground.
OSU Football

Reynoldsburg, OH

#106 May 31, 2011
Mr. Stein,

I hope that you and the rest of your sports guys are happy with with yourselves. You did your job and you did it great!!! The dispatch and many OSU fans have been calling for Coach Tressel's head for years because the offense is too boring. Well you got your wish...no more Tressel. In fact, it will be a very, very long time before OSU rebounds from this. The coach did not illegally recruit, his players did not rob with guns (Auburn), rape girls (Florida and Penn St among a few) or commit any other major criminal act. Oh yes I forgot, the players commited the worst crime of all...they sold their gold pants for tats...now that is a crime I think should be punishable not by the coach being fired but why not take it to the next step. Since this is such a major crime don't you think Jim should go to jail for the next 25 years and the players should get 15-25 years behind bars....come on guys, you are incredible. I hope your happy, because you destroyed a great man and a great university. To this I salute you Columbus Dispatch for doing such a great job!!!

Will - Canal Winchester
Illini Fan

Portland, OR

#107 May 31, 2011
Let me be clear. OSU has not beaten the Illini fairly in the last nine years.

Not once. Any time OSU beat the Illini, they did it through cheating.

Illinois now has a ten year unbeaten string against OSU.

Perhaps OSU should move to the SEC where it belongs? Certainly, its academic reputation is on a par with the SEC.

Oh and nice coverup, Dispatch. It took a national reporting crew to discover what was right beneath the surface. You disgrace the journalistic profession.
john h saunders

Columbus, OH

#108 May 31, 2011
Ray, I think it is such a shame about the resignation of Coach Tressel.
He made a mistake , no one is perfect , and believe his decisions came
out of loyalty to his players.
I do believe the players in question lack a respect for the football tradition
at Ohio State , and have proved it time and time again.
Where was the compliance department , surely they heard about the
activities involved.? Where was the athletic director , other than on
You Tube ? Maybe Coach Tress should have fired Gee.
The University could have gotten through this with Tressel.
It loks like we would have been better off if Pryor had gone with Rich Rod
to the team up North.
Disgusted in Southeastern Ohio!!!!!!!!!!
mike boblick---Buda-T exas

Raleigh, NC

#109 Jun 3, 2011
Will those osu football players who ARE able to play this fall, do so with complete uniforms? Or, will some play without pants? GO BLUE!
mike boblick---Buda-T exas

Raleigh, NC

#110 Jun 3, 2011
TEXAS is pretty BIG, so I realize you couldn't get it on one line!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
COPS lives MATTER 3 min Neutral Party 202
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 8 min d pantz 4,941
Cincinnati White Castle closes amid purge of Oh... 10 min They cannot kill ... 1
Eric Garner died over cigarette tax enforcement. 15 min Neutral Party 93
Where has Rowdy been? 1 hr They cannot kill ... 4
Spears from South Side 2 hr Latrina Waters 9
Michelle on Barack: Hes in the bathroom all t... (Nov '13) 3 hr Morning Joe 13
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance