'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein we...

'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col...

There are 106 comments on the Columbus Dispatch story from Jan 1, 2007, titled 'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col.... In it, Columbus Dispatch reports that:

Each week, Dispatch sports editor Ray Stein empties his mailbox and sorts through his e-mail, looking for the best comments and questions from readers.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Columbus Dispatch.

Trent Pinkerton

Portsmouth, OH

#25 Sep 28, 2010
Ray, I dont have a comment but a question. A few weeks back, a reader told a story about being a former paper boy to Woody and he was in the military at the time of his death. He was summoned back to the funeral via Richard Nixon. I believe it was in your Sunday mailbox, but I cannot locate it. Can you point me in the right direction?
Aaron Buckley

San Diego, CA

#26 Oct 2, 2010

Coach, what's up with the run, where's the fun?! I understand the clock, but up the middle, that's no riddle! How about a draw play, a role out, an option, a screen to someone who's not slow ... this would at least keep them off balance, you know this ... fa sho'! You were bailed out by some penalties, but a better team will make you pay. Congrats on the win, but I wish you'd get more inventive with selection of play.

Aaron Buckley
San Diego, CA
Toni Johnson

Lancaster, OH

#27 Oct 20, 2010
Mr Stein. I would like to respond to the article regarding the Autism Scholarship. My 17 year daughter is a recipient of the scholarship. She is in her 3rd year at Haughland Learning Center for Autism. Our experience with public schools and charter schools was not very positive nor productive. Unfortunately I encountered teachers that did not comply or understand what a IEP was. The teachers had a tendency to teach all of the children like they had the same need.

What I like about Haughland Learning Center for Autism is that they specialize in Autism. All of the instructors have been trained and certified to work with autistic children. My daughter is benefiting from the small class room setting which allows her more one-on-one and individualized support.

Overall the Autism Scholarship is a "godsend" for parents that are looking for a specialized educational experience for their child.
Dennis Ratliff

Bellefontaine, OH

#28 Oct 21, 2010
This is why they play the game Ray.As usual the fans of Ohio State and the sports media who cover Ohio State never give any respect to the team that they are about to play.Of course why would you.Ohio State has the best players or just about the best in the nation.As far as the Big Ten they have the best players.Than if you get to play about 2/3 of your games in the homerland we get another gift.How could you not go 9-3,10-2,or maybe 11-1.Before long they will let schools such as Ohio State play all their games at home,than maybe a 12-0 season.But dont forget just like last week we as fans and the guys that cover the game did not give this team any respect and what happens 31-18.What do i think ,give MR. SMITH a call so he can petition the NCAA for every game to be played at home.
Fred F

Columbus, OH

#29 Oct 22, 2010
I was wondering and maybe the Sports Writers at the Dispatch don't know but there is a Young Man out of Newark High School on the verge of possibly playing in a World Series here soon. His name is Derek Holland who is a Pitcher for the Texas Ranger's and picked up a win against the Yankee's earlier in the week in the ALCS.It sure would be nice if someone would maybe pick up on this story about a Central Ohio Kid doing well.
n leggett

#30 Oct 23, 2010
the new coach better get a handle on this team's attitude quickly! A telling sign the end may be near was i noticed an observer yawning on the bench. if filatov can't watch without being bored, why should the rest of us. the columbus blue jackets and their fans are in serious trouble. what a tragedy.

Westerville, OH

#31 Oct 27, 2010
Dear Editor,
Finally could not take it anymore. My son and I have been waiting patiently for your sports page to show the traditional division standings for the NHL and our Blue Jackets. What would MLB, NFL, or NBA fans do if your sports department just suddenly decided to delete any reporting of divisions? Is their a playoff race we are unaware of? We have division rivals, show them. Other divisions are also very intriquing, show them. We have to be the only NHL city in the league that appears too lazy to show the full divisional standings but merely indicate a little * by divisional leaders. You can do better. You did the last 9 years. For a league that is around 100 years old, at least pretend you understand the tradition and show a little respect.
Greg Vangundy

Westerville, OH

#32 Nov 11, 2010
Tuesday night at Capri Lanes on Roche Drive, the Ohio State Team record was broken. This score also is the third highest in the history of bowling for a 5 man team nationally. Team name is Team Hammer/The American Bowler. Players are Nick Bond, Paul Brown, Brice Ream (Former State high school champion), Heath Hargrove, Lewis Clarke. Score shot was 3919. I know your paper is not big on Bowling even though High School Bowling is the fastest growing varsity sport in the country. Colleges even send recruiters now to matches and tournaments. But, I thought you may be interested in this, that a local team beat out the great Budweiser teams led by Dick Weber, Don Carter and so forth.
Mark Lehman

#33 Nov 13, 2010
Your coverage of Ladies high school volleyball is pathetic.
Robert Smith

Lewis Center, OH

#34 Nov 24, 2010
It is four days after the regional championship game between Pickerington and Hilliard, and the only box score information the Dispatch has is the points by quarter. No individual or team stats beyond that. Someone has the stats, I'm confident. Given that the Dispatch is the only daily newspaper in Columbus, a city known for its football fanaticism, I find it appalling that no Dispatch sports reporter has managed to get the results of the Division I regional final to fill in all the zeros that show up in the high school football section.

I understand using pool reporters to gather stories on events from Cleveland and Cincinnati. What I don't understand is the failure of local reporters to report throughly on significant local events such as the regional high school football championships.

Chillicothe, OH

#35 Nov 24, 2010
Ray who hires and fires the sport writer because for high school sports girl basketball they're awful they give ink to folks who dont deserve the write up and the folks whose worthy gets only two line snap are you folks serious ?(girl basketball preview article)
Robert Smith

Lewis Center, OH

#36 Nov 24, 2010
Dr. Gee was quoted today that Boise State and TCU don't deserve a national championship bid even if they go undefeated due to weak schedules. I know Dr. Gee is not a football expert, but perhaps he should be aware that OSU's schedule rating is very similar to both of those schools.

With three non-conference cupcake games and in-conference games versus Indiana, Minnesota and Purdue, that give the Buckeyes 50% of their games versus horrible football teams. They played two teams that are currently ranked in Wisconsin and Iowa. And they played four other schools with good reputations but not great on-field success this season.

I am confident that if OSU went 12-0 against that exceptionally mediocre Boise/TCU-like schedule, that all of Buckeyeland would be up in arms if they were left out of the championship.

Dr. Gee also mentioned the "progress" OSU made in football graduation rates, claiming top 10 status for "progress". One of the reasons OSU is able to "progress" is they were so far behind to start with. Schools that were already doing a great job graduating players can't "progress" the way that OSU has.

OSU's latest football graduation rate is 63%, below the 69% NCAA average. They are behind such football factories as Alabama, LSU, Miami and Florida State. They are 30 points or more behind more academically-oriented programs like Penn State, Stanford, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Boston College and his former school, Vanderbilt. The "school up north" was almost 10 points ahead of the Buckeyes.

I am thinking Dr. Gee gets an "F" for his football knowledge and a "D-" for his academic analysis. Perhaps this is "progress" from his former straight-F performance.
Chris Saetti

Fremont, OH

#37 Nov 25, 2010
Thanksgiving Bowling November Nuttiness 2010 Results

Grandma won the first ever Thanksgiving Bowling November Nuttiness. Congrats to all the contestants. Grandma is the reigning champion for the next year!
Jim Walker

West Liberty, OH

#38 Nov 27, 2010
THANK YOU WSYX for getting the (almost) best part of THE GAME right. We got to see the band enter the field and do script OHIO in its entirety (no adds during the script) and we actually got to hear it too loud and clear - not through the press box mic.!
Friends Of Coy Bacon

United States

#39 Nov 27, 2010
Friends Of Coy Bacon is a group formed to start an online petition for the induction & enshrinement of Coy Bacon into the Professional Football Hall Of Fame. www.ipetitions.com/petition/coybaconforthehal... We also have a FACEBOOK page Friends Of Coy Bacon

Thank You
Glenn Robinson
Friends Of Coy Bacon
Tom Brammell -Columbus

Athens, OH

#40 Nov 28, 2010
Football Refereeing 101: Rule Number 1
On-98-yard-TD-runs-that-will-s et-a-record-that-will-never-be -broken:
Alan Brown

Pickerington, OH

#41 Nov 28, 2010
Ray, My comments center on the post in Sundays Mailbox by the gentleman from boise who was compelled to cut into E. Gordon Gee, OSU's pres for his comments on who or who is not entitled or qualified to play in BCS bowl games. This is America, and everyone, including University presidents are entitled to their opinion... no matter how skewed they be. I do agree with with EGG, and the recent loss by boise to nevada proves him correct. If these third tier schools want respect, then join a conference where you are tested and pounded every week... if Ohio State played 2 great teams and 9 high school teams each season,... like boise ...they would have no field credit either. This is FBS... put UP...or SHUT UP.... No team or conference deserves anything, you have to EARN it every game, every week, every season, YEAR after YEAR. We do NOT play the little sisters of the poor every week.. we play tough Big 10 games and non-conference games... suffer the schools we schedule at their pleading so they can walk out of Ohio Stadium with a loss and 1 million dollars. Hey Boise and TCU..join the Big Ten. Cry baby whining solved.
Alan Brown

Pickerington, OH

#42 Nov 28, 2010
Instant body casts and crutches sold separately at select Ohio Stadium concession stands.... Boise and TCU !!!
Robert Smith

Lewis Center, OH

#43 Nov 28, 2010

Gordon Gee suggested that Boise State wouldn't deserve to play for the national championship if it had gone undefeated due to a weak schedule.

Checking the rankings this weak, I notice that Dr. Gee's Buckeyes played only one team that received even a single vote in the AP poll, and they lost that game to #4 Wisconsin.

So, despite failing to defeat even a single team that is currently ranked in the top 25 (or even gets a vote for the top 25), OSU somehow "deserves" its #6 ranking.

Boise State, on the other hand, defeated #12 Virginia Tech,#25 Hawaii and lost to #14 Nevada. Despite two wins versus ranked teams and equal 10-1 records, Boise is now 3 positions behind the Buckeyes at #9.

Three ranked teams versus one ranked team. Two victories against ranked teams versus zero. I wonder if playing a host of mediocre, unranked Big Eleven teams plus a schedule of non-conference cupcakes is what Dr. Gee envisions as the appropriate test for a true national championship contender.

It is all moot now, of course, since both OSU and BSU failed to go undefeated versus their respective soft schedules. Still, I can't help but notice that OSU appears to benefit from reputation more than from on-field results. And I can't help but notice Dr. Gee's apparent double standard between what he expects out of others and what happens at his own university.
n leggett

#44 Dec 2, 2010
I realize this is nothing more than getting something off my chest but being an avid BLUE JACKETS fan does not prevent me from complainig about the excrutiatingly bad TV announcers Jeff Rimer and the shrill Bill Davidge. I am aware that I can turn the sound off, however this does take away from the overall viewing experience. Rimer clls the game as it were radio, constantly filling up space with over-used cliche's and general rambling. Davidge also is guilty of this, plus,also, his high pitched voice is annoying. it is certainly hard accepting these two as the voices of BLUE JACKETS or any pro sports team.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Columbus Nightclub Days,East Dallas,AAfter The ... (Mar '10) 8 min Been There 81
News Opinion: Ohioans who want green energy are free... 2 hr Solarman 1
Melania Trump 3 hr Chris 29
!!Add a word drop a word !! (Jun '12) 3 hr Alain Vain 781
FIU | Sweetwater Bridge Installation | Full Tim... 4 hr Pot Head Kris 23
McCabe Fired? 4 hr They cannot kill ... 2
We the People Love Stormy Daniels 4 hr Lovely Brave Stormy 1
Judgement Day: Finally Here? 6 hr Leftist handjob 89

Columbus Jobs

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages