'Dispatch' sports editor Ray Stein welcomes your comments | The Col...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Each week, Dispatch sports editor Ray Stein empties his mailbox and sorts through his e-mail, looking for the best comments and questions from readers.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
greg winter

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2010

Should Cavs consider getting Allen Iverson to compliment Lebron & have a real shooting guard? When they get a new coach, maybe this guy could help.
Matt Norviel

Bellefontaine, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2010

Okay, say LeBron leaves come July, the Cavs bomb next season and get the rights to draft Jared Sullinger out of OSU who then leads the Cavs to the title LeBron couldn't. Far fetched? Definitely. But what I'm asking is if LeBron could handle not only walking away from his home, but also forever taking a backseat to another guy in the annals of Ohio basketball history?
dean darst

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2010

i am a cincinnati reds fan,from way back,and am enjoying the ride,but how in the world did the most boring announcer aka,mr.paul keels land a job with the reds ? a pinch-hit grand slam,that should be exciting was treated with the usual boring commentary. at least he didnt say, drew stubbs,takes it to the house !
Lisa Green

Verona, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2010

Anyone want to take a VERY SERIOUS look at what is going on at World Harvest, now Valor Christian College Soccer program? They have been removed from the NAIA for using Professional basketball players, but WOW, a professional from Belarus playing D-3 and D-2 soccer is dangerous. The Dayton Daily News ran a great story on this a few years ago, and looks like they still are at their old games, only this time w a contact sport! A young college player is going to be seriously hurt if this isn't exposed NOW. How do you run a major sports program with 142 college students anyway?
Bernie Schlueter

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2010

Please might you have a daily summary of all Major League baseball games insted of simply a chosen few? All too often the most meaningful games and/or the most notable ones are not reported .. ie. for example, the game ending so called "walk off" games or the current divisional leader games.

I di not wish nor choose to subscribe to the U.S. A. Today for such information which I would think would be both welcome and easy to provide.

Thank you otherwise for quality sports coverage and stories.
Bill Stalter

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2010

Judged:

Dear Mr. Stein: My family and I attended the USA Sevens Rugby Collegiate Championship Invitational on Friday at Crew Stadium. Sixteen collegiate teams, including Ohio State, Notre Dame, Harvard, etc. were represented. Columbus should be congratulated for snaring another sporting event, especially in light of nationwide TV coverage of Saturday and Sunday matches on NBC. While knowing absolutely nothing about rugby, we were surprised how easy it was to learn the simple basics of the game. Of course, sitting behind a knowledgeable fan helped us to better understand what was going on. Another surprise was the lack of coverage of this national event in the Saturday Dispatch. Hopefully, there will be an article in today's (Sunday) paper.
Mac Gillenwater

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2010

Judged:

I am truly disappointed in the Columbus Dispatch sports editor and the total lack of covering the 2010 College Rugby sevens that was held this weekend. NBC saw fit to cover the rugby with 2 hours of prime time coverage each day, yet the Dispatch puts in a picture of an OSU football player that is also on the OSU rugby team. The picture was 2 days old when it appeared in the newspaper. Sixteen rugby teams came from all over America to the tournament and the Dispatch couldn't even send one reporter. In case you weren't even aware this will be an Olympic event in the next Summer Olympics. I guess all of the Dispatch reporters were busy eating jelly doughnuts.
SjS

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2010

Who does Dave Golowenski think he is and where were you letting his insults slip into the "Magee Marsh wetlands granted funds," story?
"Won't be exactly choking on money," and Roy Kroll, manager of conservation programs for Ducks Unlimited, a high-minded and well-connected conservation group."
It is not hard to see Golowenski's contempt for hunting each Sunday. But do you and Golwenski have to insult the barer of gifts of cash to our state no matter what the amount?
When you allow these insults please remind your employee, sports men and woman donating cash, purchasing licenses to hunt, and fish and taxing ourselves purchasing related sporting equipment pays for all of this you two report on.
Exactly how much have you Ray Stein or Dave Golowenski kicked-in to restoring the Magee Marsh wetlands or for any other conservation project?

Publicly I would like to apologize to Roy Kroll for Dave Golowenski's immature, disrespectful, opinionated, and unprofessional journalistic style.
Mr Kroll if Golowenski worked for me I assure you I would fire him.
Look A lil Closer

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2010

SjS wrote:
Who does Dave Golowenski think he is and where were you letting his insults slip into the "Magee Marsh wetlands granted funds," story?
"Won't be exactly choking on money," and Roy Kroll, manager of conservation programs for Ducks Unlimited, a high-minded and well-connected conservation group."
It is not hard to see Golowenski's contempt for hunting each Sunday. But do you and Golwenski have to insult the barer of gifts of cash to our state no matter what the amount?
When you allow these insults please remind your employee, sports men and woman donating cash, purchasing licenses to hunt, and fish and taxing ourselves purchasing related sporting equipment pays for all of this you two report on.
Exactly how much have you Ray Stein or Dave Golowenski kicked-in to restoring the Magee Marsh wetlands or for any other conservation project?
Publicly I would like to apologize to Roy Kroll for Dave Golowenski's immature, disrespectful, opinionated, and unprofessional journalistic style.
Mr Kroll if Golowenski worked for me I assure you I would fire him.
The last time I check the aforementioned Golo was NOT a Dispatch employee. He gets paid by the article, a.k.a. a "stringer."
Alan ONeil

Galena, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2010

You are 100 percent incorrect that the debut of Steven Strasburg was not available in Columbus. Directv channel 659 (FSN Pittsburgh) does not black out a single Pirates game they broadcast - and you don't have to buy the MLB Extra Innings package to see them. Columbus is considered a "local" market for the Pirates, Indians, and the Reds.
Blame your cable company (sign up for DTV) but not the Nationals, Pirates, or MLB.
Jeff-Worthington

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2010

Regarding the Big Ten Name, it is a 'brand' not a description of the number of teams. Any literal interpretation is merely shortsighted and lacks an understanding of branding.
The precident for having more schools than the exact number has been established years ago by the Ivy League. The Ivy League was named because it originated with four schools. The Roman Numeral 'four' is of course IV. Henceforth the source of the name "I-VY". Obviously, The Ivy League Name/Brand continued after other schools joined.
A brand is anything that brings to one's mind more than just one obvious understanding. The Big Ten represents numerous things well beyond if not ever more excluding the literal description of ten schools. So like any other brand, The Big Ten will continually be 're-branding' itself. The focus should be on continuing to positively re-brand The Big Ten and stop this silly speculation of renaming a very successful brand. It would be much more productive to debate why OSU hates Cincinnati and is blocking their entry into the Big Ten?:)
Joe Helmer

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2010

Mr. Stein, Could you please "re-print" the All Central District Baseball Team from June 21st edition. The original did "not" include the
Honorable Mention players that earned their place on the team.

Thank-you very much.
j sebach

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

This is an open letter to Mr. Gilbert and all Ohio business's that have placed "Lebron traitor" signs in their front window. He deserves better than this. We need to keep this in prospective and see both sides of the situation. He gave us seven great years that we enjoyed and will never forget. He does not owe Cleveland or Mr Gilbert anything as he gave us his all, including blood, sweat and tears. He certainly does not need to take responsibility for Clevelands economy. It seems rather ironic that you accuse him of sandbagging in the playoffs, but said nothing and wanted him back. If anyone did any sandbagging, it was the rest of the team, while he gave his heart and soul and body to the game. I am guessing that as an adult, you have done what made you happiest or what you thought was best for you and your family. Why not afford him the same right and privilege? Would any of us who have sons or daughters of age to leave home, tell them that they could not leave for a possible better or happier life, that they had to stay home and suffer with the rest of us? Of course not. While all of us agree that he made poor judgment in the way the decision was handled, I think that when the time came, by his body language, you could tell that he realized that it might have been a mistake also. He may win a championship and or like the Stockton and Malone era, it may elude him completely. We can all agree on one thing, in the time of badboy professional athletes, he has handled himself extremely well for such a very young man, with no accusations of molesting women, no drugs, no gun threats and no abuse of his family. We should be very proud of him as an Ohioan and let him spread his wings and we should also be better individuals and rise above all the negativity and prove to the rest of the country that we all can wish him well in whatever he chooses to do to better himself or to try to be happy. He deserves it.
Snoop Dog of columbus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 16, 2010

Sir. What's going on in the heads of the people in Cleveland and other ohio cities?
Mr. James ( Labron ) gave enough of himself to the Cavaliers. Now lets move on. What is wrong with making an improvement in your self and whats wrong with making more money.
The kid wants on a winning team.
If the owner is upset then go fly a kite or strach where it itches.
You go Labron
Doug Reid

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2010

In case of severe tornadoes in Northern Ohio and Michigan, the safest place to go is the University of Michigan football field in Ann Arbor, Michigan....they haven,t had a touchdown there in a long time....
David Paitson

Huntsville, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2010

A Columbus Chill game was once described as “Mardi Grass meets high sticking.” The event was thought of as part sport, part circus and part dance party with Andyman as the master of ceremonies. His charisma, passion and energy helped transform the Fairgrounds Coliseum, the oldest building for hockey in North America, into the place to be in Columbus during the 1990s.

Andyman was anything but typical. The fact was he’d never worked as a PA man before and quite frankly didn’t know much about hockey. That was ok with us. In fact it was a plus. We liked the fact he had no preconceived notions or stead fast traditions to follow. Yes, we’d hand him a script each night, but it read more like a guideline. Andyman’s ability to go off script and improvise is what gave us our edge. Chill games were where you came to expect the unexpected.

When we introduced Andyman and simultaneously rolled out the “scream ‘til your brain hurts” campaign there was a little sensory overload even for Chill fans. Andy’s booming voice bellowed the theme every 10 minutes or so encouraging a loud and shrill fan response. There was early backlash to his style, but it didn’t take him long to fall into a groove and win over the fans.

One of my favorite memories of Andyman was the night of the Mad Cows promotion welcoming the coliseum faithful into “the Meadow of Doom.” What began as a public relations stunt developed into a full scale show. He made that night and so many others joyful.

In the end what we appreciated about Andyman is he “got it.” Sports are meant to be about delivering fun and he knew that. As an on air talent and program director for the alternative rock station he was always committed to delivering for his audience. At CD 101 he was uncompromising in his commitment to the music. It was no cookie cutter station and he was no cookie cutter guy. That’s what we loved about him and why we felt he was a perfect fit for the Chill. It may have been seen as a bit of a calculated risk to hand over the keys to our show to someone who didn’t know the sport and had never done the job, but knowing the integrity of the man, the risk was minimal and the payoff huge. It proved to be well worth the gamble.

When I heard the news of Andyman’s passing earlier this week I, like so many in Columbus, was heartbroken. We felt the sting of losing a family member. Certainly, the local music scene and hockey have lost a great friend and collaborator. On behalf of his Columbus Chill family, we send our condolences to his family, friends and all of his fans who loved him.
Claude Brisco

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2010

Ray, I,m writing as a father and a sports fan of Ohio athletes who excell at there craft. My son (Travis Brisco) is currently playing div. 2 football at Urbana University, I know its a small colledge but , his accomplishments are huge and all the other sports pubs have at least approached him except his home town paper. Last season he lead the entire country in tackles for loss(27),he had 13sacks 110 tackles,76solo,14 qbh,4forced fumbles,108yds in tackles for loss,from 2007-2009 31sacks,2nd in country as a freshman in sacks,and was voted independent div. 2 player of the year this pasy season,a graduate of Marion Franklin High School. Just thought I,d drop you a line. Proud papa Go BlueKnights(go bucks)
Joseph Mitchell

Mount Vernon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Ray,
When will the intellectually vapid color guy for the Crew be allowed carte blanche on whatever drops from his lazy grey matter to his tongue for our listening pleasure? Oh, wait...it's already allowed. During another questionable call on the Crew in Saturday's game, Mr. Name-Who-Escapes-Me phrased his displeasure via a, "What the h-e-...-... kinda call was that?" Now, before accusing anyone of prudeness, is it too much to ask of this or any radio announcer to keep the language cleaner and demonstrate a slightly more cerebral tilt to the commentary? Another disappointment in an otherwise good season.
Joseph Mitchell
Marysville OH
les kaminski

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 9, 2010

Im a Cleveland guy, Im sorry, but exactly what respect does PRYORS MENTOR exactly deserve, they should worry about beating the Hurricanes not whether his HERO gets BOOED !!!!!!
Doug Hendricks

Findlay, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 21, 2010

Who is the knucklehead at WTVN responsible from removing Bengals game goverage from that station? How are Bengals fan who live north of Columbus suppose to follow our favorite teams play-by-play on the radio? Being able to listen to Bengals games on WTVN was always a complete pleasure, even during the years when the team couldN'T post a winning record. We were always able to keep in close touch with our team through 610's stronger signal. Now after almost 30 years of WTVN covering our team, they all of the sudden dump the team and thumb their nose on the football fans in this part of Ohio. Until the Bengals return to that station, you'll never find me listening to 610 ever again!! Thanks for sticking a knife in us you rats at WTVN!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of106
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

23 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
muslim brotherhood authorizes 'anal jihad' 8 min BizzyBee 55
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 16 min xxxrayted 28,647
Is Barak Obama responsible for the current bord... 28 min Neutral Party 82
Music 44 min Pale Rider 9
Will Obama Resign From Office? 2 hr tranpsosition 584
Columbus Police Grow Concerned As Murder Rate C... 7 hr They cannot kill a Spook 4
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 9 hr Neutral Party 2,738
•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••