Some Renters Could Have To Sign Bed B...

Some Renters Could Have To Sign Bed Bug Pact | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News

There are 83 comments on the 10TV WBNS story from Jun 3, 2011, titled Some Renters Could Have To Sign Bed Bug Pact | WBNS-10TV, Central Ohio News. In it, 10TV WBNS reports that:

Renters in central Ohio could see a new clause in their rental agreements, as some landlords are now making their tenants sign a bed bug pact when they move into a residence, 10TV's Kevin Landers reported on Friday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at 10TV WBNS.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
just sayin

Columbus, OH

#3 Jun 3, 2011
Oh, come on - this is absurd. Wait till the ACLU gets ahold of this one!
Nancy

Columbus, OH

#4 Jun 3, 2011
Well, not only should the tenant have to sign the agreement, the landlord should sign an agreement that the place doesn't have bed bugs. A landlord rented an apartment to my son on campus and he did it knowing that some of the other apartments in the building were infested.

My son lost all his meager possessions due to the bugs invading his place. He tried to get recourse in court, but of course the landlord won because he had to money to pay people who would testify for him.

This is the only way we are going to rid our city of this very serious problem.
Twitsonline

Reynoldsburg, OH

#5 Jun 3, 2011
Nancy wrote:
Well, not only should the tenant have to sign the agreement, the landlord should sign an agreement that the place doesn't have bed bugs. A landlord rented an apartment to my son on campus and he did it knowing that some of the other apartments in the building were infested.
My son lost all his meager possessions due to the bugs invading his place. He tried to get recourse in court, but of course the landlord won because he had to money to pay people who would testify for him.
This is the only way we are going to rid our city of this very serious problem.
Really? So *that's* the only way to rid our city of bedbugs? I hope you're not paying for your son to go to school, if intelligence is genetic, I fear it would be a tragic waste of money.
Veteran

Grove City, OH

#6 Jun 3, 2011
WHITE KNIGHT wrote:
charge all of the somalians twice the monthly amount for rent.or put them all in the same complex all by themselves
THIS is just going to cost tax-payers more money because those on Section 8 Low Income Housing are not financially in any position (supposedly, according to law) to pay for professional pest management and clean-up; meaning, more tax-payer's money being used to clean-up and can see where landlord's whom milk the system by accepting mostly Section 8,milking the system to clean-up their tennaments, when it's not really taking care of the real problem. People need to keep places clean and not bring stuff from dumpster, etc. into homes and just HOW do your fix stupid? How would a landlord handle a Section 8 tenant that is a hoarder? "Equal Housing Opportunity" means they cannot pick and choose whom they rent to, nor even have right to know what a given person's disability is due to HIPPA. Sad to say but a person's best bet is to live where there is not a high rate of turn-over and a place that does NOT take Section 8. I read where a person is most apt to pick-up bed bugs on your body at ANY given movie theater! EEEK! Movie theater seats a RARELY all vacuumed and most only have the center carpet areas vac'd and the floors under seats broom-swept and the bed bugs hitch on people that have home/apartment infestations and onto the seats then hitch onto new hosts--creepy enough to realize it is cheaper to just watch a pay per view movie for $4. and be able to pause it whenever and 24 hours or more to complete it--FYI!
WOW

Columbus, OH

#8 Jun 3, 2011
Sounds like they are only telling half the story.... Bed Bugs have been found at Children's Hospital and some very nice hotels/motels. It is advised to check the mattress of the bed before you use the room. Bed Bugs can be easier transported from one place to another place by luggage.
Don't blame low income housing for the issue because they are not. If some landlords would step up to the plate and take care of the issue before it gets out of hand then it would not be as bad as it is.
A person can have an extremely clean home and get bed bugs. Treatment and prevention must both take place to fight the battle. One landlord that is large in Columbus has had to fight the battle over 3 years now at one of their units.
Another part of it is that some of extermination companies have not been using the right chemical to rid the bed bugs which builds their immunity...
Heat and 91% alcohol if it not a extreme infestation. Wal-mart and other stores now sale the 91& alcohol.
WOW

Columbus, OH

#9 Jun 3, 2011
You can even get them from the laundry mat so watch it there as well. if someone is trying to get rid of them they may use the dryer to rid their belongings since heat kills them...
landlord

Westerville, OH

#10 Jun 3, 2011
Columbus City code dictates that pest infestation in single family homes (not apartments, 4-plex, etc.) is the responsibility of the tenant.

As a landlord, I expect all my tenants to keep a clean household.
Bugexpert

Columbus, OH

#11 Jun 3, 2011
91 % alcohol will not get rid of your bed bugs unless you stand there and spray then one at a time as the come out at night. You must use a chemical that leaves a residual that once dry will kill bed bugs as that come out of hiding at night. Alcohol evaporates and is useless.
Mike coleman

Logan, OH

#12 Jun 3, 2011
Veteran wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS is just going to cost tax-payers more money because those on Section 8 Low Income Housing are not financially in any position (supposedly, according to law) to pay for professional pest management and clean-up; meaning, more tax-payer's money being used to clean-up and can see where landlord's whom milk the system by accepting mostly Section 8,milking the system to clean-up their tennaments, when it's not really taking care of the real problem. People need to keep places clean and not bring stuff from dumpster, etc. into homes and just HOW do your fix stupid? How would a landlord handle a Section 8 tenant that is a hoarder? "Equal Housing Opportunity" means they cannot pick and choose whom they rent to, nor even have right to know what a given person's disability is due to HIPPA. Sad to say but a person's best bet is to live where there is not a high rate of turn-over and a place that does NOT take Section 8. I read where a person is most apt to pick-up bed bugs on your body at ANY given movie theater! EEEK! Movie theater seats a RARELY all vacuumed and most only have the center carpet areas vac'd and the floors under seats broom-swept and the bed bugs hitch on people that have home/apartment infestations and onto the seats then hitch onto new hosts--creepy enough to realize it is cheaper to just watch a pay per view movie for $4. and be able to pause it whenever and 24 hours or more to complete it--FYI!
veteran is a d*mb a*s!
Whoeve

Pickerington, OH

#13 Jun 3, 2011
Landlords should have to sign off on the lease stating that no bedbugs are in the apartment before a new tenet moves in. I lost everything I own due to a dishonest landlord. Bed bugs are no joke. They are in no way attracted to filth so attempts at obsessive cleanliness are to no avail. Wrapping mattresses wont help. Nothing helps. Professional pest control wont help. Good luck.
Nancy

Columbus, OH

#14 Jun 3, 2011
To Twitsonline,

Your user name suits you well, Twit. You didn't even understand the post I left. My son was a victim of a landlord who knew he had bed bugs in the place and rented it anyway. Those bugs came into my son's apartment and the landlord would not offer to give the deposit back or pay for the bugs getting into his computer, new mattress and box springs, radio, stereo stystem, and many other items that all had to be thrown out.

BTW, My son just graduated top ten in his class from OSU Moritz College of Law and will be moving to a state that has a high concentration of an educated population. Bet you don't have high school degree.
meh

Columbus, OH

#15 Jun 3, 2011
It's 100% true about the movie theaters. I have a $100 gift card I got last Christmas that will probably never be used. Theaters are nasty. Plus I just download the movies online anyways... cheaper AND safer!
Wicked Wanda

Columbus, OH

#16 Jun 3, 2011
The problem is the EPA, not the bedbugs. If the EPA allowed the use of chemicals that actually kill the bedbugs then there wouldn't be a problem. But some landlords in Cleveland and Columbus are using the banned chemicals anyway AND they don't have problems with bedbugs. Not for very long anyway. They have a great way of getting rid of bedbugs right and left. LaVida apartments on Columbus' north side is one such community. Parliament Ridge is another. There are other apartment complexes that also have effective ways of getting rid of bedbugs. But that does NOT make them good apartment complexes. Parliament Ridge (now known as Winterwood and Tall Oaks) still has problems with violent residents living there and LaVida has even bigger problems.
Sarah

Mount Gilead, OH

#17 Jun 3, 2011
landlord wrote:
Columbus City code dictates that pest infestation in single family homes (not apartments, 4-plex, etc.) is the responsibility of the tenant.
As a landlord, I expect all my tenants to keep a clean household.
Single family is different as long as there weren't bedbugs to begin with. Bedbugs don't come from being unclean... If the home wasn't infested to begin with it shouldn't be the landlords responsibility. If you stay in a motel or bring them home from somewhere tenants should pay for treatment.
WOW

Columbus, OH

#18 Jun 3, 2011
Right Alcohol does evaporates but some tenants actually see the pest and therefore they can spray them directly. It is a defense for when you can't get the bug man out at 9 pm when they might be out because you in the bed. Some units get infested beyond the bed to the window sill. IJS
hey

Columbus, OH

#19 Jun 3, 2011
Take a look before you book!

http://www.bedbugregistry.com/
Here we go again

Columbus, OH

#20 Jun 3, 2011
As a "public service worker" who has to enter the homes of the unwashed masses on a daily basis, I worry about what I track back to my vehicle and home. These bugs are everywhere, but they are most obvious in the filthy, trashy homes where food and garbage are left to rot in the open (I guess waddling out to the dumpster is just too much effort), laundry is allowed to get wet in the basement and then mold, kids are filthy and bug-bitten from head to toe, etc. And nobody wants to hear MY opinion on what to do with the whole mess ...
Leasing Agent

Reynoldsburg, OH

#21 Jun 3, 2011
Ok so at an apartment complex where I used to work I had this conversation with a Somalian tenant who said "she don't understand why are in such an uproar over bedbugs, because in Somalia they live with bedbugs like we live with ants!" Well, I'm here to inform you...I don't live with ants either. Case in point...the Somalians are the ones bringing the bedbugs here, they admit it themselves, and yes I agree, having the Somalians pay for treatments would never, ever work, because it us the taxpayers who pay for their homes, food, utilities, etc. You can thank Michael Coleman for bringing the Somalians and the bedbugs into Columbus...beware the higher end motels/hotels are more apt to getting bedbugs simply due to international travelers! Before I enter my house at the end of the day, my socks and shoes are removed and clothing inspected, because if I bring them home from my job it's my responsibility to pay for the cost of the extermination which is very expensive and very time consuming...be careful!
Leroy Says

Reynoldsburg, OH

#22 Jun 4, 2011
just sayin wrote:
Oh, come on - this is absurd. Wait till the ACLU gets ahold of this one!
THAT is the trouble with the entire world now! The ACLU!

As for the bedbugs, get rid of the two-legged illegal aliens and the bugs will follow!
Twitsonline

Reynoldsburg, OH

#24 Jun 4, 2011
Nancy wrote:
To Twitsonline,
Your user name suits you well, Twit. You didn't even understand the post I left. My son was a victim of a landlord who knew he had bed bugs in the place and rented it anyway. Those bugs came into my son's apartment and the landlord would not offer to give the deposit back or pay for the bugs getting into his computer, new mattress and box springs, radio, stereo stystem, and many other items that all had to be thrown out.
BTW, My son just graduated top ten in his class from OSU Moritz College of Law and will be moving to a state that has a high concentration of an educated population. Bet you don't have high school degree.
You obviously did not understand the context of my response. Sorry, but I couldn't type it any slower so you'd understand.

Yep, and my children are all rocket scientists who graduated with honors, and have dinner with the pope every night, which is where they discovered how to cure cancer.

Hate to disappoint, but we've seen you on here plenty of times in the past. Every time with a different little fantasy story. Go ahead, have fun, people know you can't prove anything any way.

You are correct in one thing, however. I do not have a "high school degree", I have several other degrees, but not one for high school. I earned a high school "diploma" many years ago, perhaps you were confused, since you may have never seen one in real life.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary's speech - thread is missing 17 min Male 1
Is Donald Trump Campaign Falling Apart? 41 min rowdy01 87
News Clinton, in Columbus speech today, to slam Trum... 48 min EvaWu 93
Ohio School Prayer Ballot Issue Rejected 9 hr Hugh Jasol 4
Funny fn picture 10 hr They cannot kill ... 4
News Air Quality Alert Issued For June 25 in Central... 11 hr UTrashy 4
News Former Dispatch publisher John F. Wolfe dies at 72 11 hr ARRAR 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Columbus Mortgages