Kroger and union reach deal; strike averted | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Kroger Co. says it's reached a tentative three-year agreement with a labor union, averting a strike by 14,000 workers at 133 stores.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of131
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

4

3

2

Headline should read, "COST OF GROCERIES TO INCREASE AGAIN." The grocery industry is the poster child of how the existence of unions in this country does nothing more than feed a greedy and corrupt labor movement. No benefits to employees, just fancier cars and more expensive meals for the union bosses. What a shame!
Loves Walmart

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

5

2

2

Congratulations to the Kroger workers. You are the reason why food costs, on average, 30% more at Kroger than at Walmart and 15% more than at Giant Eagle. Kroger can spent millions trying to convince people that it has the lowest prices but anyone who has been to a Walmart Supercenter knows the truth. The difference in prices in just amazing.
Barb

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

WalMart doesn't have a union and some of their prices are slightly higher than Kroger. Explain that one to me if you can.
THE SOUTHEND

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

2

2

unions are what built AMERICA
unions are what destroyed AMERICA
Union Thugs Kill Jobs

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Great job union thugs. The strike threat was a real dumb move. Yes Kroger negotiated and you got your thugs to push through a new contract.
Why do you need a union in a grocery store???? I have friend whose son worked part time at Kroger and the union dues were outrageous. What did he get out of it?
Kroger will now raise prices to support this new contract.
I will not shop at Kroger. Wait until Kroger has to cut back. You just caused your fellow employees some of their jobs.
Reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Barb wrote:
WalMart doesn't have a union and some of their prices are slightly higher than Kroger. Explain that one to me if you can.
Barb, first of all, your post is just not borne out by fact but I will make you a guarentee: if you let WalMart know what price of theirs is higher than Kroger, that price will be lowered at WalMart so fast it will make your head spin. I personally do not shop at WalMart with any degree of reguarity but when I have, it is remarkable how much lower the prices are. Also, when I worked for a major consumer products manufacterer, WalMart always made the beat down on price to the point that we could not but products in the "company store" for any less than anyone can get at WalMart. Don't kid yourself, whether you like unions or don't, non-union shops can ALWAYS produce or offer a better product or service than a union shop at a lower cost. The time for unions has come and gone.
Cyndie

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 11, 2010
 
I find Kroger's in Marysville and Urbana,Ohio grocery
items cost so much more. I have to shop where my
dollar's will stretch the farthest. We are on a budget. Shop Aldi's first then Walmart for better savings. I you want great meats go to Mosiers IGA in Raymond, Ohio. They have the best prices on all of there meats. They also have a coupon on there website for $5.00 off for every $50.00 purchase. Every little bit helps with budget.
Loves Walmart

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Barb, you can't possibly be arguing that Kroger is cheaper to shop at than Walmart. It's possible that an item or two might be cheaper but in general, Walmart will save you between 10 and 30% on just about everything.

Kroger has this annoying characteristic of increasing prices, than temporarily offering the item at the old price to Kroger Plus members, all the while insisting that they are getting this great bargain.

Example - Kroger punched up the cost of their Big K soda from $1.99 to $2.55, but they still sell it at $2.29 only now, they are claiming you are 'saving' 26 cents. It is deceptive and it is wrong.

Since: Dec 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Barb, first of all, your post is just not borne out by fact but I will make you a guarentee: if you let WalMart know what price of theirs is higher than Kroger, that price will be lowered at WalMart so fast it will make your head spin. I personally do not shop at WalMart with any degree of reguarity but when I have, it is remarkable how much lower the prices are. Also, when I worked for a major consumer products manufacterer, WalMart always made the beat down on price to the point that we could not but products in the "company store" for any less than anyone can get at WalMart. Don't kid yourself, whether you like unions or don't, non-union shops can ALWAYS produce or offer a better product or service than a union shop at a lower cost. The time for unions has come and gone.
Yeah, if Krogers were smart, they'd cut their employees wages, benefits, and safety considerations ,and make them sign up for Medicare and WIc. Then, the savings can get passed along to all of us!
Topper

Marysville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 11, 2010
 
Cyndie wrote:
I find Kroger's in Marysville and Urbana,Ohio grocery
items cost so much more. I have to shop where my
dollar's will stretch the farthest. We are on a budget. Shop Aldi's first then Walmart for better savings. I you want great meats go to Mosiers IGA in Raymond, Ohio. They have the best prices on all of there meats. They also have a coupon on there website for $5.00 off for every $50.00 purchase. Every little bit helps with budget.
Marysville Kroger stinks...I mean it ACTUALLY stinks.....
In addition to Aldi, and Mosiers, Community Market has good prices...Deli meats at Wal-Mart are the same or better quality than Kroger and $1.00+ per pound cheaper......And are even better priced at The Cheese House or Yutzys in Plain City
pikkil47

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 11, 2010
 
so, this means another three years of "attitude & indifference" from the ignoramuses (rank and file)'cause they're unhappy about their contract..
oh boy, can't wait to go Krogering.

By the way, I'm gonna trap Pe`Pe` the Penguin soon - then cook'im for supper.
Reality

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Mobbarelli wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, if Krogers were smart, they'd cut their employees wages, benefits, and safety considerations ,and make them sign up for Medicare and WIc. Then, the savings can get passed along to all of us!
All I want to see is a true market driven system unaffected by the petty threats and grievances of a union that only serves to keep thei fat-assed officers in fancy cars and big meals.
John Blutarsky

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 11, 2010
 
Cyndie wrote:
I find Kroger's in Marysville and Urbana,Ohio grocery
items cost so much more. I have to shop where my
dollar's will stretch the farthest. We are on a budget. Shop Aldi's first then Walmart for better savings. I you want great meats go to Mosiers IGA in Raymond, Ohio. They have the best prices on all of there meats. They also have a coupon on there website for $5.00 off for every $50.00 purchase. Every little bit helps with budget.
How much in gasoline are you spending to go to those more distant stores to save a few bucks?

Since: Dec 09

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
All I want to see is a true market driven system unaffected by the petty threats and grievances of a union that only serves to keep thei fat-assed officers in fancy cars and big meals.
I don't think a true market system could ever work, though... the greedy will always rise to the top, and use their wealth, power, and influence to bleed the others dry. I'm against almost everything unions do, but until we can just give people a fair, living wage, they remain a necessity
Been There

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
Barb, first of all, your post is just not borne out by fact but I will make you a guarentee: if you let WalMart know what price of theirs is higher than Kroger, that price will be lowered at WalMart so fast it will make your head spin. I personally do not shop at WalMart with any degree of reguarity but when I have, it is remarkable how much lower the prices are. Also, when I worked for a major consumer products manufacterer, WalMart always made the beat down on price to the point that we could not but products in the "company store" for any less than anyone can get at WalMart. Don't kid yourself, whether you like unions or don't, non-union shops can ALWAYS produce or offer a better product or service than a union shop at a lower cost. The time for unions has come and gone.
Your "major consumer products company" paid good wages because of the unionized brewery down the street.
Been There

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 11, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
All I want to see is a true market driven system unaffected by the petty threats and grievances of a union that only serves to keep thei fat-assed officers in fancy cars and big meals.
Remember, the United States Chamber of Commerce, Big Business PACS, The K-Street Gang, The American Medical Association, The Oilmen's Association etc.... are all unions. They are just unions for the rich and powerful. Why shouldn't the commoner have the benefit of collectivism if they choose to?
zoom

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 11, 2010
 
I'm not a fan of unions and do not like their extortion. However, in the case of Wal Mart, some stores are unionized others are not.
The main reasons I shop at Kroger is:
1. Ohio based company and the profits come back to OHIO and pays OHIO taxes (Corporate)
2. I hate the long lines at Wal Mart
3. Kroger's meats and fresh foods are much better than Wal Mart. Kroger meats are Choice grade; Wal Mart is Select. Most Wal Marts don't have a butcher shop and you can't get better cuts of meats or fish.

Wal Mart is a lot cheaper on the drug store items, so, I end up there once a month for those items.
Parasite Government

Dublin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 11, 2010
 
I worked at Kroger the entire 5 years I was in college. Trust me, I'm not a big union supporter, but the benefits and pay are in many ways far far worse now than when I worked for Kroger in the late 80's. I'm talking overtime rules, working on Sundays and holidays, sick days, vacation time, etc.

Walmart has done to the grocery industry what illegal aliens have done to the construction industry - drove the wage scale down to the point where only the truly desperate will work there, which is used as evidence that these jobs are jobs Americans won't work.

When I was at Kroger, if you were under 18 the only job you could do is bagger, and it took 2-3 years of that to become a cashier. Now most of the employees are teenagers who cannot even ring up your beer.

Also, if you buy on sale and carefully use double coupons, you can spend a lot less at Kroger than you might think.
BDcrusader

Derry, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 11, 2010
 
Another one
edwin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 23, 2010
 

Judged:

1

Loves Walmart wrote:
Barb, you can't possibly be arguing that Kroger is cheaper to shop at than Walmart. It's possible that an item or two might be cheaper but in general, Walmart will save you between 10 and 30% on just about everything.
Kroger has this annoying characteristic of increasing prices, than temporarily offering the item at the old price to Kroger Plus members, all the while insisting that they are getting this great bargain.
Example - Kroger punched up the cost of their Big K soda from $1.99 to $2.55, but they still sell it at $2.29 only now, they are claiming you are 'saving' 26 cents. It is deceptive and it is wrong.
Walmart does the same. I have been to walmart and they would have the great value apple juice at 1.50, then a couple of weeks later the price would be 2.00 a bottle down from 2.25. That's how Walmart roll down prices are they will increase the price and then roll it down. they are all the same either union or non-union.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of131
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

64 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr xxxrayted 28,423
Would you allow Obama's mother to use contracep... 1 hr Real Tea Party 6
President Obama violated Constitution in 2012 2 hr Male 90
Columbus Man Fights Murder Extradition to Albania 2 hr All Are Liars 1
Michelle Obama a/k/a Michael LaVaughn Robinson 3 hr yeah baby yeah 5
Carolyn Bruck, channel 6 (Jan '12) 4 hr 6watchet 306
Democrats Scared of Trey Gowdy 4 hr Of course 3
•••
•••
•••
Columbus Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••