jrock

Columbus, OH

#172 Dec 20, 2012
Anonymous Says wrote:
You are going by a book translated and interpreted by many, written long after the development of man. God was around long before the Bible was written, and yours is not the only way.
This isn't a discussion about which "religion" is right or wrong, it's a discussion about whether Xenos is a cult, or not. I'm sure we can have a discussion about the validity of the bible and the existence of God, and "how many paths lead to God" if you want to start another topic.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#173 Dec 20, 2012
whatever wrote:
Megachurches stink to high heaven.
So, in your opinion, what kind of churches don't stink to high heaven?
jrock

Columbus, OH

#174 Dec 20, 2012
Michael Thomas wrote:
BTW, if nobody has ever been inside their church I recommend at least doing that. It is very nice and I was impressed by how many people showed up to their bible study sessions.
Thank you, Michael. Lot's of people using speculation and rumors without ever attending Xenos. Any good reporter would try to gain first-hand experience if they were commenting on something. Like I said, I'll sit down and have coffee with anybody who is interested. I'm about as normal of a guy as you can find. And frankly, I'm too educated and too smart to be part of a cult, IMO. Like you said, come see for yourself if you want to know.
Another Anon

Perrysburg, OH

#175 Dec 21, 2012
jrock wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you, Michael. Lot's of people using speculation and rumors without ever attending Xenos. Any good reporter would try to gain first-hand experience if they were commenting on something. Like I said, I'll sit down and have coffee with anybody who is interested. I'm about as normal of a guy as you can find. And frankly, I'm too educated and too smart to be part of a cult, IMO. Like you said, come see for yourself if you want to know.
I've been there, and can honestly say that some of what I've read happened to me. So, whatever. If it flips your switch, fine - but I believe in diversity (including religious) and therefore will expand my circle of friends (including potential spouses) based on my heart, and not "God's law". For if the love in my heart isn't God, what is?
Michael Thomas

Grove City, OH

#177 Dec 21, 2012
"And frankly, I'm too educated and too smart to be part of a cult, IMO."

How many people that are in cults have this same mentality? If people realize they are in a cult, what are the odds they stay in one?
jimbo

Hilliard, OH

#178 Dec 21, 2012
Lisa wrote:
<quoted text>
Spiritual abuse is more accurate (Xenos isn't a cult. I have never said that. It has cult like areas but this doesn't make it a cult). I feel that addressing that isn't a sin. It should be addressed. There are people being hurt and losing their faith because of what they have endured at Xenos and other churches. I know them. Or of them. All I am trying to say is stuff that is messed up does go on. Xenos has a lot to offer, but there are issues! And I am sorry, but the "we are all sinners" comment is just a nice way of justifying it and saying shut up. Im so tired of Xenos disallowing any criticism just because someone isn't involved anymore!
I wish everyone the best - I really do. I am done here. I had hoped to share my experiences. If you bothered to notice, Bryan, I have made compliments towards Xenos in addition to criticism. Instead you accuse me of supporting anti Semitic which I never did. You did the same thing to me as the first poster did to Xenos. AdditIonally, I'd encourage you to talk to people as to why they don't attend a church. You may be surprised. There are a lot of people who have been hurt by churches. I really care for these people and someone has to say something. And Xenos is one who has hurt people, even though you obvious find it easier to demean me, call me a liar, attack my walk. No wonder people are afraid to stand up to stuff that goes on in the church. That said, there are plenty of good folk in Xenos. There are a few people an leaders that I knew or still do that are great and who I respect. I'm sure I misphased things at times but I do stand by my basic premise.
Xenos disallows criticism whether you go there or not, it's part of their cult-like behavior.
Michael Thomas

Grove City, OH

#179 Dec 21, 2012
^

To be fair though, I don't know of any church that takes to kindly to being criticized. Unfortunately just due to the size alone, you will find more people that comes across as rude. The percentage of probability would lead to that.

However my concern is with the young people who are easily impressonable. I believe love bombing goes on.
Linda

Springboro, OH

#180 Dec 24, 2012
Michael Thomas wrote:
^
To be fair though, I don't know of any church that takes to kindly to being criticized. Unfortunately just due to the size alone, you will find more people that comes across as rude. The percentage of probability would lead to that.
However my concern is with the young people who are easily impressonable. I believe love bombing goes on.
What do you mean by "love bombing"?

Why is that even considered a bad thing? We live in an isolated world and people need to have someplace where they can go and experience love instead of judgment.
Michael Thomas

Grove City, OH

#181 Dec 24, 2012
Linda wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by "love bombing"?
Why is that even considered a bad thing? We live in an isolated world and people need to have someplace where they can go and experience love instead of judgment.
The Manson family was infamous for using it.

It's when cults arrange instant friends for you. It will seem awesome when random people shower you with love and affection for no reason. However if you ever disagree with them, or ever leave the cult then you will lose all your new "friends." Love bombing is something that has been around since the cave men. People want to feel loved and liked. A chemical is released almost giving people a type of high or sensation causing them to want more.
Katie

Powell, OH

#182 Dec 31, 2012
I'd just like to say that I am a member of Xenos Christian Fellowship and no one there would teach that the Holocaust did not happen. At some services (not mine) we have some music before the teaching but only for 15 minutes and mostly just one or two people with guitars. We actually have worked hard not to give the feeling of a blue jackets game. It's frustrating to be so misunderstood, but it happens. I would just welcome anyone here who has questions to go to a meeting before you judge it, as with anything. I am sorry for the misunderstanding with your daughter, I really can't see how she could have left being that confused but it's unfortunate and definitely not the message. I would suggest checking it out with her, talking to the teacher, get all the info you need. We are an open book. Lastly, we encourage strong relationships with family. I love and actually work with my family every day and they are not members. I have had many friends decide to no longer come to meetings and while there is concern, they are not gossiped about, are always welcomed back, and i talk with all of them regularly because they are my friends and love them regardless of what they believe. I wish they would walk with Christ BC that is what's best for them, but they have their own relationship with God and he will not forget them or fail to love them! I don't understand those comments either. Wish you all well. I pray you are open to learning the truth about something before you judge it and I pray that if you haven't made a decision to allow Christ into your life that you would!
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#183 Dec 31, 2012
Katie wrote:
I'd just like to say that I am a member of Xenos Christian Fellowship and no one there would teach that the Holocaust did not happen. At some services (not mine) we have some music before the teaching but only for 15 minutes and mostly just one or two people with guitars. We actually have worked hard not to give the feeling of a blue jackets game. It's frustrating to be so misunderstood, but it happens. I would just welcome anyone here who has questions to go to a meeting before you judge it, as with anything. I am sorry for the misunderstanding with your daughter, I really can't see how she could have left being that confused but it's unfortunate and definitely not the message. I would suggest checking it out with her, talking to the teacher, get all the info you need. We are an open book. Lastly, we encourage strong relationships with family. I love and actually work with my family every day and they are not members. I have had many friends decide to no longer come to meetings and while there is concern, they are not gossiped about, are always welcomed back, and i talk with all of them regularly because they are my friends and love them regardless of what they believe. I wish they would walk with Christ BC that is what's best for them, but they have their own relationship with God and he will not forget them or fail to love them! I don't understand those comments either. Wish you all well. I pray you are open to learning the truth about something before you judge it and I pray that if you haven't made a decision to allow Christ into your life that you would!
"I have had many friends decide to no longer come to meetings and while there is concern, they are not gossiped about, are always welcomed back, and i talk with all of them regularly because they are my friends and love them regardless of what they believe. I wish they would walk with Christ BC that is what's best for them, but they have their own relationship with God and he will not forget them or fail to love them!"

If they have a relationship with God, who will not fail them, why the need for concern? Because they don't got to Xenos? There you have it, folks.

Xenos people don't know any more than anyone else what really happens to us once we die. The Universe is too vast with many mysteries to think that any modern man has the one and only answer.
Katie

Powell, OH

#184 Dec 31, 2012
That is twisting what I said, especially because you do not know their life stories. You can be saved and still lead a life that is damaging to you and others. The cause for concern is life choices that they are making that are hurting them. You are right, these particular people have God and are saved, they never have to set foot in any church again, nor did they have to in the first place to be saved. There is a difference between being saved and walking with God. They do not need to attend Xenos meetings to be walking with God or to be saved. But they are not walking with God in any capacity and are hurting. That is where I am concerned BC I love them. I'm not concerned about their membership in any church. That does not matter. Being a part of a community of believers does help, however. But there are many different wonderful communities in the body of Christ. Xenos has never claimed to be the only one.
Katie

Powell, OH

#185 Dec 31, 2012
Anonymous wrote:
<quoted text> There you have it, folks.
Xenos people don't know any more than anyone else what really happens to us once we die. The Universe is too vast with many mysteries to think that any modern man has the one and only answer.
In response to this in particular because it deserves much more attention than an opinion on a group of Christians, the universe is MUCH too vast with too many mysteries for any modern man to have any answers, let alone then one and only answer. You are completely right! God is the one with all of the answers and I follow Him, not any mortal man. The Bible, God's inspired word, does have real answers, however. You can choose to believe that, or not. It is your free will choice. I would just pray that you would really give that question some serious and thorough thought and research before you decide. That is up to you! If anyone is interested, I will post links that could help start your research.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#186 Dec 31, 2012
The two guys who run Xenos--- don't both of them have ONLINE bible degrees?
Katie

Columbus, OH

#187 Jan 1, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
The two guys who run Xenos--- don't both of them have ONLINE bible degrees?
No, they went to seminary. I don't see how that's relevant however. All believers are called to ministry, degree or not.
Anonymous

Grove City, OH

#188 Jan 1, 2013
They had a "church new years party" last night where alcohol was handed out and offensive rap music was played.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#189 Jan 1, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
They had a "church new years party" last night where alcohol was handed out and offensive rap music was played.
I followed a link here that someone posted "to get more information" and there were photos of a party from a different year where alcohol was being served at the facility. I'm not against drinking wine, but I find it odd that a church who disciplines and shuns over sins such as addiction (causing behavior issues) would do that.
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#190 Jan 1, 2013
Katie wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible, God's inspired word, does have real answers, however.
Answers? Like stoning? Inces&?(For some reason I got a warning for that word, but you can figure it out.)
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#191 Jan 1, 2013
Not to mention the Bible was written by man with man's failings. Not one woman over the years was literate enough to help?
Anonymous

Dublin, OH

#192 Jan 1, 2013
I've been to that church and I really liked the social aspect of it (staying for coffee and dessert after CT, for example). If people want to get together with a commonality, that's great. My beef is that you, nor anyone else, has any right to point the finger at others who are not "saved". Did you know that positive near death experiences, which seem to be a glimpse into Heaven, are experienced by almost everyone regardless of their religion? So, either two things: It really is nothing more than a shutting down of the brain causing the feelings and sights, or Heaven is open to everyone.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CIA Torture Report Comes Out Tomorrow 6 min Reality Speaks 337
Topix gets rid of Canton and Twinsburg posters!!! 8 min Mr Tea is winning 31
Censoring Male. 14 min Reality Speaks 19
Merry Christmas! What's your favorite memory? 31 min Reality Speaks 285
Rootin Tootin Putin 1 hr Trash Collector 9
The Republican Controlled House and Senate 1 hr Neutral Party 51
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 2 hr Neutral Party 4,802
Columbus Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 1:03 pm PST

ESPN 1:03PM