Daniel

Canal Winchester, OH

#131 Nov 28, 2012
Hey guys, I've been going through a few of these comments and i also would like to clear up some things.
First off, I will go ON RECORD as saying the Holocaust DID happen. Second off, JESUS WAS JEWISH.
Also, Xenos most definitely is not a cult in any way shape or form. Being a member since like my 6th grade year in middle school, i can honestly say that not once have i ever felt pressured to do something i didn't want to do. Ever. I have met great people through Home Church, Cell, and CT, and if i had to do it all over again, i would.
Next, someone PLEASE look up the definition of church. Church is anywhere a congregation of Christians study/learn. In fact, last night at CT, A man whom i truly respect actually gave a teaching that touched on this.
But instead of continuing, I'll leave it to Mr. Risley because he can probably resolve this better than i.
Anonymous

Lakemore, OH

#132 Dec 4, 2012
I've been attending Xenos for about 7 months now and it is no way shape or form a cult. Before I was just a problem child in a messed up home. They had never forced me to do anything once. Their teachings made me think about my life and what was really important. This talk about how the holocaust never happened is bull. Everyone knows it did. If someone said that they were probably joking around because its an incredibly dumb statement. Xenos has a lot of young leaders that have their first times teaching so maybe someone was joking and someone took it seriously. Xenos has taught me a lot of things and I have made many of close friends in the process.

Since: Jul 10

United States

#133 Dec 4, 2012
Columbus here I come wrote:
My job is tranferring me to Newark in a couple of months and was looking around for a church. Seems like Xenos Christian Fellowship is one of the larger ones. After reading the comments, all I can say is WOW! Any type of church that garners such a negative response from former members certainly raises my eyebrows. It seems best to stay away from this place. May not be a cult but definitely seems like some manipulative stuff going on...
YES if YoU have a tree/snowman/plant(anykind that is;) worship it first & or listen to some relaxing upbeat meditating whatever kind of music before dedicating yourself to THEM Xers & it is literally almost like grade school but worse!
Grade school is supposed to be full of lil children who follow teacher&do HW ETC .. But just saying again & again..
Not a Fan of Xenos

Columbus, OH

#134 Dec 7, 2012
My girlfriend used to go to xenos before we met and she left the church because of ideals they had on life outside of their community. I believe the church is threatening to christians that actually want to reach out because when they discuss "spreading the word" it's not being taught as a choice but rather a do or die type of faith (this is not how christianity should be taught because it is not an obligation for anyone to believe in anything unless they want to). My girlfriend has recently gone back and needless to say it's changed her and threatens to end our relationship because in the perspective of xenos and her, even though I believe in God, I'm not living my life the "right" way.
Pam

Plain City, OH

#135 Dec 8, 2012
Not a Fan of Xenos wrote:
My girlfriend used to go to xenos before we met and she left the church because of ideals they had on life outside of their community. I believe the church is threatening to christians that actually want to reach out because when they discuss "spreading the word" it's not being taught as a choice but rather a do or die type of faith (this is not how christianity should be taught because it is not an obligation for anyone to believe in anything unless they want to). My girlfriend has recently gone back and needless to say it's changed her and threatens to end our relationship because in the perspective of xenos and her, even though I believe in God, I'm not living my life the "right" way.
Very interesting.
Fukkum all

Columbus, OH

#136 Dec 8, 2012
Mega churches suck donkey balls.
anonymous

Dublin, OH

#137 Dec 8, 2012
The dating part is true. They do only want you to date within the church.
Karl Boggut

Grove City, OH

#139 Dec 8, 2012
I have seen many of Xenos members attempting to "recruit" students around Ohio State campus. I have been in contact with at least 3 of their members attempting to "recruit" myself. I have visited inside their church on numerous occasions. It is very lovely I must say. It is true that they do no date outside of their church and they use "love bombing." The "marrying at a young age" is not relevant because college kids do marry at a young age. Once you leave, they completely separate themselves from you because in their eyes you are "walking away from god." Does that make them a cult? I do not know. They do not believe they are in a cult and they are not violent people.

Since: Oct 12

Corning, OH

#140 Dec 8, 2012
The Spirit that says "it does not matter which church you pick so long as you pick one" issues from the great harlot. The great harlot is a city (Rev 17,18) and that city is Rome. She controls and manipulates peoples nations and governments so that we do not see her power, contol, etc. With regard to the local assembly, there are many very precise specific boundaries, but ONE for each assembly. Xenos, Vineyard, others, make that boundary smaller than what is intended. The actual doctrine regarding Israel's portion, the sabbath, etc are a matter of teaching, but the basic reality today is that the churches have lost what they once have because of things like arrogance and disobedience. We are in Laodicea from 1900. They way out is made clear in the book of revelation. That way is basically the leaving of the pleasure of the opinions of one's own mind which the people of our day are imprisoned by. We love our own ideas and we all think that we know better and we are the correct ones. That realm is a basic bondage.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#141 Dec 10, 2012
As a member of Xenos for 25 years I could spend way too much time trying to convince anybody reading this that Xenos is not a cult. Notice that most of the comments are not from people who actually have been to Xenos. Regardless, nobody, and I mean NOBODY in 25 years has ever said that the Holocast didn't happen. That's pure bunk and you need to get your facts straight. The only negative comments here that have any weight are from Emily Fravel since she was actually a member. However, I would take issue at some of what she said since I know her personally. That being said, she's entiltled to her opinion.

FWIW, those who leave any organization are always the ones who have the most negative comments about it. It always helps to hear both sides of the story and unfortunately, on a venue like this one that will never happen.

FYI, I have studied cults, true cults, for years. I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was actually in one.

“animis opibusque parati”

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#142 Dec 10, 2012
jrock wrote:
...FYI, I have studied cults, true cults, for years. I'm pretty sure I'd know if I was actually in one.
I'm sure our resident self-proclaimed, professional psychiatrist, Reader, will be along any minute to explain to you why that would be impossible.
former attender

United States

#143 Dec 10, 2012
Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
I attended this church between 12 and 14 years ago. Back then it was not a bad church at all. It was a bible based bible believing church and yes, the service was known as Central Teaching. I don't disagree with that terminology because when a Pastor preaches he or she is teaching us the Word of God. I'm so sorry you feel it is a cult but I would encourage you to go check it out.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#144 Dec 11, 2012
former attender wrote:
<quoted text> I attended this church between 12 and 14 years ago. Back then it was not a bad church at all. It was a bible based bible believing church and yes, the service was known as Central Teaching. I don't disagree with that terminology because when a Pastor preaches he or she is teaching us the Word of God. I'm so sorry you feel it is a cult but I would encourage you to go check it out.
Seems like sage advice for Concerned Parent. Go with a friend or relative, so as to have an additional opinion.

True cults tend to throw up barriers to family visits and the like.

Clearly Xenos is not the congregation for every believer--which doesn't make it different from any other church.
jrock

Columbus, OH

#145 Dec 11, 2012
So, I just had time to read most of the comments, I hadn't yesterday when I posted. Seems a good portion of those commenting have attended Xenos. I misspoke when I said most of the people posting had not. I didn't notice that there were several more comments. My apologies.

First off, I suppose if I were in a cult I probably wouldn't know it. Nobody who's in a cult says "Yeah, it's a cult." That being said, I certainly know what a cult is, as I know of some "religions" that are nothing more than cults. So, I'm not completely unlearned. Maybe I'm deceived, but not uneducated.

That being said, I still insist that Xenos is not a cult. It is a large church and it has problems. Find me one large church that does not. We have 4500 attendees. It's full of people and, well, people are messed up. People are fallible. People make mistakes.

I don't doubt that some of what people are describing has happened to them PERSONALLY.(The comments about "I heard" or "I knew somebody" etc. are invalid, they have no value here). First problem? People have their own distorted view of events. Nobody reports events in a vacuum. Second problem? How people interpret events. Third problem? How people assign motives or make blanket statements about "Xenos" or "church policy" or whatever.

I've been in Xenos for 25 years. There are many things that I have not agreed with. I've always been able to voice my opinion. I still disagree with some of the methods and "policies" of the group. And I still voice my displeasure. There are lots of things wrong with Xenos. It's not perfect, any elder, home church leader or "member" would tell you that. As Gary, one of the Elders always says, "if you find a perfect church, don't join it, it won't be perfect any more."

For every negative thing I can say about Xenos there are five more positive things. Those of you who are reading these comments need to understand that Xenos is a huge church. There are many "leaders," and those leaders are people, flawed people, just like you and me. A lot of the comments on here are from people who were in the college group. Do you know that the leaders in the college group are not much older than those who they lead? They're kids, for Christ's sake. Young and immature. They're going to make mistakes. But they are trying, trying to live a life that calls for sacrifice and involvement in other people's lives. Do you know that there are hundreds of leaders in Xenos? Anytime you get an organization with that many leaders people are going to make mistakes. That's human nature.

Xenos is not a cult, it's a church that problems because it has people that have problems! Some of these comments are just ridiculous and I can't address all of them. But let me address a few:

1) You can't date people outside of the church.

To my knowledge there is no "official" policy on dating. The bible says that couples should be "equally yoked." If you are a Christian God says, not Xenos, that your spouse should be a Christian as well. If you come to Xenos as a single person and accept Christ those around you will encourage you to stay on a path toward learning about God and what he has to say about you and your life. If you date somebody seriously that does not share your commitment to learning and following God that is a concern. That's not a Xenos rule, that's God's rule. If two people are headed in different directions one has to follow the other or they have to go their separate ways. That can be said for any interest or career choice that might come between a couple. So do leaders or other Xenos members frown upon a new Christian dating somebody who is leading a lifestyle that could affect the new Christian? Sure. Have members been asked to make a choice when the person they are dating is hostile to God and/or is bashing Xenos? Of course. Any relationship like that is unhealthy. But nobody in the 25 years I've been around has ever said (con't..)
jrock

Columbus, OH

#146 Dec 11, 2012
(con't).. "No, you may not date that person! If you do, you are banished!" Have people been asked to leave when they are having sex and not married? You betcha, all of the time, especially when one of them is a member and the other is not. But at the drop of a hat? No. People are always counseled and those higher up are almost always consulted. But, yes, people have been asked to leave for sexual sins, all kinds. And people have been asked to leave for many reasons, all which are biblical. Was it painful? Sure. Did the "leader" do everything perfectly? Probably not. Were people unfriendly after they left or were asked to leave. Sure. Again, we're talking about imperfect beings here, not angels.

2) Xenos separates people from their families in some weird, cult-like way.

I'm sure it can seem that way. When I first started going my mom thought I was in a cult as well. And we had many fights about it. So I understand the parents on here and I see their concerns. What drove a wedge between my parents and I was the truth, the truth that I was messed up, and that I needed to make an honest commitment to studying the Word of God and get my crap together. So, I spent time with others going to a Bible study. That was weird to my parents. I just needed to go to church on Sunday, their church. If that had worked I wouldn't have sought out a place where I could actually learn the Bible. Nobody ever told me I had to "leave" my parents or stay away from them. But what happens at that age is that the new members, who now understand their depravity and how messed up they are, start learning scripture and challenging their former beliefs, their parents beliefs. Thus comes the "fear" from parents and family who think their sons/daughters/brothers/sister s have been emotionally kidnapped and indoctrinated into some "weird," "creepy," (one poster called it that), mind-control sort-of spiritual commune. That is not what Xenos is. Wanna know what it IS?

Xenos is a place were people from ANY backround can come and learn the bible and feel comfortable. It's a place where many people have made a choice to follow Jesus, who they believe died for their sins, and saved them by His grace (Ephesians 2:8-9). It is a place where people are committed to living a lifestyle that is sacrificial, that puts the needs of others above their own. It is a place where the Bible is taught honestly and by people with hundreds, even thousands of hours of bible study. It's an open book, and the leaders and elders all have open doors. The financials of the church are public record, all salaries, all expenditures, everything. The people are open, honest, human, and yes, fallible. But they care, and that' more than I can say for many people, whether in church, or not.

We do believe that there is only one way to God. That's biblical, not cult-like. We will tell others, hopefully gently, that we do not agree with their views if they contradict the truth in scripture. We will challenge others to investigate the claims in scripture and see if they line up with what they believe personally. We will share the Gospel with others, we are called to do so. We try to love others, even if they don't share our viewpoints. We are open to discussing all views. We do not discriminate against Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, or whomever. We believe that the bible is the word of God. We believe that Jesus was God, incarnate, and that he died for our sins. Do yourself a favor and check out Xenos' website www.Xenos.org and see what you think. I challenge you to find something that is unbiblical or cultic in nature. And as one poster said, come and see for yourself.

Last thing: I am not an elder in Xenos, nor am I a home church leader. I am expressing my own viewpoints. That being said, if any of you REALLY want to find the truth about this, especially you parents, I would be happy to meet any of you for a cup of coffee.
Anonymous

Columbus, OH

#147 Dec 12, 2012
Daniel, you're allowed to think for yourself. You don't have to defer to Mr. Risley.

This way of thinking only reinforces for me that it is a cult when a member is hesitant to share a thought that may not line up with an authority figure in the church.

Wake up people!
Daniel wrote:
Hey guys, I've been going through a few of these comments and i also would like to clear up some things.
First off, I will go ON RECORD as saying the Holocaust DID happen. Second off, JESUS WAS JEWISH.
Also, Xenos most definitely is not a cult in any way shape or form. Being a member since like my 6th grade year in middle school, i can honestly say that not once have i ever felt pressured to do something i didn't want to do. Ever. I have met great people through Home Church, Cell, and CT, and if i had to do it all over again, i would.
Next, someone PLEASE look up the definition of church. Church is anywhere a congregation of Christians study/learn. In fact, last night at CT, A man whom i truly respect actually gave a teaching that touched on this.
But instead of continuing, I'll leave it to Mr. Risley because he can probably resolve this better than i.
Skeptic

Dublin, OH

#148 Dec 12, 2012
All religious groups are cults.
Skeptic

Dublin, OH

#149 Dec 12, 2012
Kohath wrote:
The Spirit that says "it does not matter which church you pick so long as you pick one" issues from the great harlot. The great harlot is a city (Rev 17,18) and that city is Rome. She controls and manipulates peoples nations and governments so that we do not see her power, contol, etc. With regard to the local assembly, there are many very precise specific boundaries, but ONE for each assembly. Xenos, Vineyard, others, make that boundary smaller than what is intended. The actual doctrine regarding Israel's portion, the sabbath, etc are a matter of teaching, but the basic reality today is that the churches have lost what they once have because of things like arrogance and disobedience. We are in Laodicea from 1900. They way out is made clear in the book of revelation. That way is basically the leaving of the pleasure of the opinions of one's own mind which the people of our day are imprisoned by. We love our own ideas and we all think that we know better and we are the correct ones. That realm is a basic bondage.
To recap ... a book of dubious origin by authors unknown explains everything but that message has been misinterpreted/corrupted but YOU know EXACTLY waht they meant.
Older but wiser

Springboro, OH

#150 Dec 12, 2012
jrock wrote:
(con't).. "No, you may not date that person! If you do, you are banished!" Have people been asked to leave when they are having sex and not married? You betcha, all of the time, especially when one of them is a member and the other is not. But at the drop of a hat? No. People are always counseled and those higher up are almost always consulted. But, yes, people have been asked to leave for sexual sins, all kinds. And people have been asked to leave for many reasons, all which are biblical. Was it painful? Sure. Did the "leader" do everything perfectly? Probably not. Were people unfriendly after they left or were asked to leave. Sure. Again, we're talking about imperfect beings here, not angels.
2) Xenos separates people from their families in some weird, cult-like way.
I'm sure it can seem that way. When I first started going my mom thought I was in a cult as well. And we had many fights about it. So I understand the parents on here and I see their concerns. What drove a wedge between my parents and I was the truth, the truth that I was messed up, and that I needed to make an honest commitment to studying the Word of God and get my crap together. So, I spent time with others going to a Bible study. That was weird to my parents. I just needed to go to church on Sunday, their church. If that had worked I wouldn't have sought out a place where I could actually learn the Bible. Nobody ever told me I had to "leave" my parents or stay away from them. But what happens at that age is that the new members, who now understand their depravity and how messed up they are, start learning scripture and challenging their former beliefs, their parents beliefs. Thus comes the "fear" from parents and family who think their sons/daughters/brothers/sister s have been emotionally kidnapped and indoctrinated into some "weird," "creepy," (one poster called it that), mind-control sort-of spiritual commune. That is not what Xenos is. Wanna know what it IS?
Xenos is a place were people from ANY backround can come and learn the bible and feel comfortable. It's a place where many people have made a choice to follow Jesus, who they believe died for their sins, and saved them by His grace (Ephesians 2:8-9). It is a place where people are committed to living a lifestyle that is sacrificial, that puts the needs of others above their own. It is a place where the Bible is taught honestly and by people with hundreds, even thousands of hours of bible study. It's an open book, and the leaders and elders all have open doors. The financials of the church are public record, all salaries, all expenditures, everything. The people are open, honest, human, and yes, fallible. But they care, and that' more than I can say for many people, whether in church, or not.
We do believe that there is only one way to God. That's biblical, not cult-like. We will tell others, hopefully gently, that we do not agree with their views if they contradict the truth in scripture. We will challenge others to investigate the claims in scripture and see if they line up with what they believe personally. We will share the Gospel with others, we are called to do so. We try to love others, even if they don't share our viewpoints. We are open to discussing all views. We do not discriminate against Jews, Catholics, Muslims, Hindus, atheists, or whomever. We believe that the bible is the word of God. We believe that Jesus was God, incarnate, and that he died for our sins. Do yourself a favor and check out Xenos' website www.Xenos.org and see what you think. I challenge you to find something that is unbiblical or cultic in nature. And as one poster said, come and see for yourself.
Last thing: I am not an elder in Xenos, nor am I a home church leader. I am expressing my own viewpoints. That being said, if any of you REALLY want to find the truth about this, especially you parents, I would be happy to meet any of you for a cup of coffee.
Thank you!
Scott Risley

Wooster, OH

#151 Dec 12, 2012
Are you saying that responders have to either
1. Agree that Xenos is a cult, OR
2. Disagree that Xenos is a cult, which just proves that Xenos is a cult because of group think?

It's hard to see how anyone could win that argument. Is it possible that there is a third option? That Xenos is an evangelical church that teaches the bible and teaches their members to think for themselves?

I understand that there are tons of actual cults out there. But keep in mind that Jesus and his apostles said that genuine Christians will get slandered (Matt 5:11-12; 1 Pet 2:12; Acts 28:22). If there were real questionable behaviors going on, don't you think that someone would come forward with something concrete? Not just something third-hand or anonymous or something obviously false like "Xenos denies the holocaust ever happened"?

I'm an elder and pastor at Xenos, and I've probably posted a dozen times on this thread by now asking for anyone to give me something concrete to investigate (see my many earlier posts). I've also contacted people directly who have left contact info. I can't get anyone to respond with any details. Don't you think it's unfair for people to post negative stuff but then disappear when leadership in our church tries to take their accusations seriously.

Let me repeat: if there is any substance to these accusations I'd like to know details and I want to put a stop to these alleged behaviors. But so far I can't find anything here to investigate.
Anonymous wrote:
Daniel, you're allowed to think for yourself. You don't have to defer to Mr. Risley.
This way of thinking only reinforces for me that it is a cult when a member is hesitant to share a thought that may not line up with an authority figure in the church.
Wake up people!
<quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Al Sharpton coming to Cleveland...... 12 min free pIzza 4 U 10
NAACP calls for calm in Cleveland 23 min Ken's brother Ryu 2
News Al-Maliki: U.S. forces wona t stay after 2011 |... (Nov '10) 57 min swedenforever 5
Protesters 1 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 5
Cleveland Cop Found NOT GUILTY In Deadly 2012 S... 1 hr cops win again 4
Brelo not guilty 4 hr Pope Che Reagan C... 37
Black Crime is out of control. 4 hr BoneYard 69
More from around the web

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]