Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

What I am saying is that when its a matter of he said she said and it involves a leader and person who has left that the people who have left do not trust Xenos to be fair. You're assuming the leaders or current members in question would be honest and not come up with some "why this person is lying and a sinner." Especially when they (the folks who left) post on blogs and get treated this way in private! I don't understand why what is said here can't be somewhat beleived and everyone has to do what Xenos says to be beleived. It seems like a lot of the members here pick and choose what they respond too and ignore what they like. FKA has made great points and automatically gets dismissed because they aren't former member. But the former members also get dismissed. Everyone is dismissed unless we all agree to respond the way Xenos wants. I do applaud Scott Risley for volunteering his time and not outright calling people liars. But I would also like to know how he plans to investigate! I'm also glad your experience has been good. Doesn't mean that's always the norm.
Connie Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
Hope you don't mind me butting in but that is a defeatist attitude, first of all you have to consider there really may have been other complaints but no one else came forward to validate that it may be true and more than he said she said. You also are assuming that the leaders of the ministry house or home group would not still be confronted about this. If women would take this attitude (which regrettably many do) rapist would never be caught and would go on raping. and how do you expect people to sit up and take notice when yo have not told anyone other than coming on this page to do it?? What are the chances someone was going to see it that could do something about it? I saw this page today just by fluke looking up something else. It is not wrong to express you concerns or feelings in any church or anywhere else for that matter..if you and others who felt the same do not voice them while in the group or ministry house then how does it get discussed, worked out, or changed??
Connie Daniels

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Former Xenoid wrote:
Connie - I was a member. For many years. So are several other people who have commented on this thred. I do agree there is a level of youth being easily influenced. It could be misinterpreted. But what if it isn't? There is something to be said when several former members say the same thing and I think it's unfair to say we ALL misinterpreted or, worse, that we were all in sin. I wasnt and a few folks I know werent either. Dealing with the young and pushing commitment can cause over zealous behavior. It wasn't until I was older and more confidant that I saw a lot of these issues. And don't get me wrong, I did my share of judging people "who weren't committed enough". <quoted text>
Thanks for sharing that, really..Your right things should be looked into when they happen, people need to voice it, not just walk out in anger or frustration. IF what they are saying is true they have left a leader in charge of a group that maybe should not be. People can get tired or burned out and not step down when maybe they need to. I do not admittedly know much about the ministry houses, although I have heard about the 4 meetings a week and stuff and wondered what that might be about. I have a 17 yr old granddaughter who lives with me, she has been in Xenos since she was in Kindergarten, school, Oasis, middle school and high school groups. She has such a desire to please God she gets over zealous and I have to calm her down, alot, lol. She has taken many of the things she learned at teachings and made them into more than they were meant to be, and I also then have to make her understand, that it is OK to have friends who are not Christians or Xenoids, its ok to date a boy who is not a christian or a xenoid, because it is just a date you are not going to marry them..you are just hanging out..you do not have to spend dates studying the Bible...if/when you ever decide to get married that is when it is important to seek someone like minded, and that does not mean they have to be a Xenoid.She tends to make it more than it was meant to be, more complicated, like she has to be some perfect person. I have also seen parents who are very strict about all this stuff and others who are the complete opposite.I have a friend whose daughter left a ministry house because it was more than she wanted to invest, so to speak, that's cool I understand that..but living in a ministry house is not your normal lifestyle..that would be more for people who want to become leaders. Anyway thanks for sharing with me..I saw on other posts one of the elders saw these and wants more info, I know they will investigate it, they don't take this lightly, if its true it is misrepresenting the Gospel most of all
Former Xenoid

Hilliard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Two quick points - just because people MAY BE young an left does not guarantee they were in sin or misinterpreted or what not. I was in the adult group (and college group) and found the adults were way less likely to contradict much or rebel than the young were.(And yes on the flip-side the young are easier to influence, and thats a concern I have with the college group because of the push for involvement and commitment! They become immersed and don't necessarily see outside of it.) And things didn't go on as much in the adult group compared to the college group. I'm not saying its all problematic, but as an earlier poster said, there are issues! Xenos has good aspects but there are issues and its dismissive to say its because we aren't perfect. We are supposed to see sin and work on it. Not justify it and dismiss it.
Connie Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
All I know about the rift is that it was something to do with teaching style..being more charismatic.. these people left to go to Vineyard..which hey if they want that they are happier there and our church has certainly not suffered for it and we do many service work to the community along with Vineyard.No one talks about it much because it is not that big of a deal. these things can happen. At first I was disappointed in that there was no singing, but that changed too because I was not the only one who felt that way.. Churches are not perfect because they are full of sinful people and egos with members and leaders...this is life and humanity...why we need it.I will never understand why they think it is a cult, if they came to a teaching I believe they would feel differently, it is not your normal church you grew up in, the Pastor is not the only one who prays out loud, many do...there is a time to ask questions or make comments after the teaching..there are no rituals performed like in other churches.home groups are like family you go have a meal, communion on occasion, study the Bible, everyone talks, shares and asks questions...this is how we learn and grow together...most churches is Sunday morning service, you sing, they pray, they teach, you listen and then you leave and go home and maybe show up for a Wednesday night bible study.You know very few people you speak to and it is little more than Hi how are you....I think what makes people think its a cult is we are so close like family and we treat each other like family..part of scripture is not only to do this but to be accountable to one another..if they would see me in sin and not dealing with it, they would say something to me about it, that is Biblical, that also is something no one likes to hear when they know it is true. I am not sure what all is up with these other posts, seems to me they are all young folks, and I can understand why they may feel the way they do, I wish they would address them at the time and not just leave and not have it heard or dealt with..I think it is still the feeling that you are not supposed to question someone older or maybe in a somewhat of an leader figure.That is not true. If leadership knew they will do something about it. God knows no church is perfect.

“Don't trust the internet!”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

Connie Daniels wrote:
<quoted text>
All I know about the rift is that it was something to do with teaching style..being more charismatic.. these people left to go to Vineyard..which hey if they want that they are happier there and our church has certainly not suffered for it and we do many service work to the community along with Vineyard.No one talks about it much because it is not that big of a deal. these things can happen. At first I was disappointed in that there was no singing, but that changed too because I was not the only one who felt that way.. Churches are not perfect because they are full of sinful people and egos with members and leaders...this is life and humanity...why we need it.I will never understand why they think it is a cult, if they came to a teaching I believe they would feel differently, it is not your normal church you grew up in, the Pastor is not the only one who prays out loud, many do...there is a time to ask questions or make comments after the teaching..there are no rituals performed like in other churches.home groups are like family you go have a meal, communion on occasion, study the Bible, everyone talks, shares and asks questions...this is how we learn and grow together...most churches is Sunday morning service, you sing, they pray, they teach, you listen and then you leave and go home and maybe show up for a Wednesday night bible study.You know very few people you speak to and it is little more than Hi how are you....I think what makes people think its a cult is we are so close like family and we treat each other like family..part of scripture is not only to do this but to be accountable to one another..if they would see me in sin and not dealing with it, they would say something to me about it, that is Biblical, that also is something no one likes to hear when they know it is true. I am not sure what all is up with these other posts, seems to me they are all young folks, and I can understand why they may feel the way they do, I wish they would address them at the time and not just leave and not have it heard or dealt with..I think it is still the feeling that you are not supposed to question someone older or maybe in a somewhat of an leader figure.That is not true. If leadership knew they will do something about it. God knows no church is perfect.
Connie, it is possible that a disagreement about worship style split the church. But, when a church divides down the middle, I don't know that one can view this as being not a big deal. My hunch would be that there were some other facters beneath the surface--but again, just a guess.

I believe you mentioned that you grew up in a Catholic church? That may account for the lack of relationship between members that you believe is the norm in other churches. Not that I think all Catholic churches are as you describe, but they tend to be more hierarchical and more dependent on the worship leader. Most Protestent churches have a heavier emphasis on between-member relationships (not that we always do that well, mind you). And in many churches prayers are offered by members of the congregation and depending on the denomination, communion offered as well.

The congregation where I belong is likely further along the continuum away from "tradition" than others, but Xenos is by no means unique in attempting to find a way that is based more on authentic belief and relationship (with God and people) and less on strictly following a specific order of service.
Scott Risley

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 2, 2012

Judged:

I don't think it would be that hard to track down these reports. If some of the people who are posting here would let me know who said what and approximately when then I would probably be able to track down those leaders or groups. If the story turns out to be true (in whole or in part) then I would talk with the leader about what steps he/she can take to apologize or make things right. If it's being misrepresented then I might go back to the person who reported the original story and try to mediate or I might just drop it. It all depends.

If you've ever worked with people you know that you're going to have a lot of conflict and it takes work to resolve it. Unfortunately no one on this forum has come forward with any specific details yet. I hope that some do if their stories are true.

Thanks,
Scott Risley ( facebook.com/smrisley )
Xenos elder and pastor
Former Xenoid wrote:
What I am saying is that when its a matter of he said she said and it involves a leader and person who has left that the people who have left do not trust Xenos to be fair. You're assuming the leaders or current members in question would be honest and not come up with some "why this person is lying and a sinner." Especially when they (the folks who left) post on blogs and get treated this way in private! I don't understand why what is said here can't be somewhat beleived and everyone has to do what Xenos says to be beleived. It seems like a lot of the members here pick and choose what they respond too and ignore what they like. FKA has made great points and automatically gets dismissed because they aren't former member. But the former members also get dismissed. Everyone is dismissed unless we all agree to respond the way Xenos wants. I do applaud Scott Risley for volunteering his time and not outright calling people liars. But I would also like to know how he plans to investigate! I'm also glad your experience has been good. Doesn't mean that's always the norm.
. <quoted text>
Cheryl

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2012

Judged:

Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
Hello Concerned Parent,
Makes sense to me you'd be concerned about your daughter if these claims are true! Please consider you may not be getting the whole story.
A friend,
Cheryl
PS All true statements: the Holocaust really happened, Jews, you, and I (Irish German) are all sinners God loves and sent His Son to die for.
Alex

Powell, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

I experienced the Xenos "cult" firsthand...while it's not some scary brainwashing experience out of a movie, there are subtle things that go on within the group that seem to lead towards it being a cult organization.

I started attending there my freshman year of college with my roommate. The people in Xenos were extremely nice to us, invited us to all of the church events and seemed really genuine in getting to know us. Towards the end of the year when we were looking for housing, they asked us to move in with them. Yes...the church females and males all live together in what's called "Cell Houses."

When I moved in, I started really noticing the strange goings on. First, we had to look for a house to rent together...but we weren't allowed to find a house that would allow us to have our own bedrooms. It was better for us to share our space with another, they said. Secondly, I was going through some serious issues with my family at the time and had to miss a few meetings because of this or, in some cases, school obligations. There are 3 meetings per week. After missing 2 meetings in the course of 1 month, I was formally sat down by two of my housemates and our Cell Group Leader and "talked to" about my poor attendance and how my priority should be to the group. This was enough for me to seriously reevaluate how much I wanted to live there...thankfully I was able to leave pretty easily. I actually tried to stay with the group for a little while after, but the day I moved out, suddenly I felt entirely unwelcome in the meetings. The girls who were at one time so nice and genuine to me now treated me like an unwanted guest. On one of my last meetings, I sat down with one of the leaders and explained my concern about how the roommates living together and being forced to attend so many meetings seemed a little much. I was chastised for this and lead to an obscure passage in one of Paul's books about Christians "fellowshipping together" which, in my opinion, was taken way out of context to fit their point of view. After I said we'd just need to agree to disagree but that I still wanted to be involved, she informed me that I had created a rift that she didn't know could be repaired. So...even though I still wanted to be involved with the church, only not in the capacity of them being able to control my every move, I was still a terrible person and completely in the wrong.

End of story: while they may not be a "speak in tongues, talk to snakes" sort of cult, they do exhibit behaviors conducive to this. Basically, if you don't want to have your life completely revolve around Xenos Fellowship, you have priorities of either work or school that don't completely revolve around theological studies, and you actually enjoy devoting time to family and friends outside of the church, this is probably not the place for you.
Scott Risley

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 11, 2012

Judged:

Hi Alex. I'm an elder in Xenos and a leader in the college group. I posted a few times earlier in this thread asking people for specific details about cult-like behaviors in our group. The reason I'm asking for specifics is because I'm hoping to investigate these reports and put a stop to them if they are true. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any of the people posting on this thread to give me any specifics.

When you refer to "cell houses" I assume you are referring to ministry houses. We are transparent about what goes on in a ministry house. These are the highest level of commitment in our church, and all members agree up front to abide by the Ministry House Covenant (see http://www.xenos.org/classes/papers/minhse.ht... ). The goal it to provide support kind of like a Christian dorm on a secular university campus.

Most ministry houses have people share rooms. This is also what people living in campus dorms do as well. I don't see anything cult like about that.

All of the expectations for ministry house living are spelled out ahead of time in the house covenant. Did anyone show that to you before you moved in? I don't think you would have been kicked out for missing two meetings. People in ministry houses miss meetings. I could see them asking you if you were up for the increased commitment level. It sounds like you moved out on your own though, and weren't kicked out.

I see moving into a ministry house like joining a sports team or fraternity or any other type of club that puts requirements on its members. They spell out in advance what you are committing to and you can decide whether or not you want to join. I had a friend in college who joined a frat and they demanded just as much or more from their members. My soccer team in high school had practice every day plus games that you had to go to if you wanted to be on the team. I don't think that's cultlike.

I'd like to here specifics on this if you wouldn't mind contacting me privately. I've been in our college group 15 years and haven't seen anything like this personally. We definitely do not want to control peoples' lives, and we teach explicitly against that here: http://www.xenos.org/classes/leadership/leade...

Notice how there is a section toward the end about how people are free to spend their time however they want, etc.

Like I said, I'd like to hear specifics from you so I can investigate any cultlike practices and put a stop to them.( facebook.com/smrisley )

But I don't think that it is cultlike to teach people to live a life of high commitment to God, and that real commitment to Christian community should be part of that. That's not obscure biblical teaching. That's the main thrust of Scripture. Jesus said "Seek first God's kingdom and God's righteousness and all these things will be added to you." (Also see Ex 20:1-4; Luke 9:57ff; Luke 14:25ff; etc)

Thanks!

Since: Jul 10

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Emily Fravel wrote:
Xenos most surely exhibits cult-like behavior and while you may not hear such things in a teaching, you can expect to hear a hatred of other faiths, though the biggie is Catholicism.
They do in fact recruit and segregate. They seek to control college aged students especially through their dating relationships. This "Kim" can try to deny it, but I've experienced it myself.
To "Concerned Parent" you are right to be concerned. Knowing What IS know about Xenos, They are already teaching your daughter how to debate your objections. Forbidding her is likely to push her further in. I would ask her to be very careful and to pay VERY close attention to how They talk about anyone who leaves. The Xenos way is to talk about how sinful that person was. There is gossip and rumors when someone leaves. They like to say that someone has walked away from God.
Dennis McCallum is only about two cars short of the crazy train. If you look it up more, you will see that he always places the blame on those who have spoken out against Xenos. You will not find a single instance of him apolgizing for pain experienced at Xenos.
Feel free "Concerned Parent" to contact me via facebook if you'd like to discuss this more. Mine is the profile with two little boys. I'm not afraid of fallout.
This place is A backstabbing clickety click do i as say or youll go to HELL BS WannaBEz bible freak jokers..
As Far as X goes it was 4 yrs of HELL&i never felt comfortable W/their judging ways & ppl got brownie pts for bringing/dragging any BODY in as long as it had a pulse & guess what 2 yrs later its still the same losers when i went as far as the homegroup group aka no one wants to stay or cant bear the hypocrisy & everything i said above..they stay for a lil then bam gone as soon as THEY feel that feeling of being in grade school..
Favortism/clickyness/backstabb in lil bich gossip/ppl all up in your business & they scream desparate for anyone to join this crazy cult like for instance our home group leaders were making & having free meals during the summer @ the apt clubhouse for tenants or whomever aka anyone to come the freeby measl & sit down while members mingle W/them & try to get them to join.. They made tons of food & of course wasted $$$ on like 3 diffferent meals here & there & of course if U pull in sumwhere & want sum grub yur gonna stop & sum sureley did but then went on W/their full stomachs & went to the nxt one IT was a all U can eat taco dinner..Eventually THEYre gonna have a last supper if THEY keep up their pushy selling GoD way.. BuT i dont miss it & they are a bunch of born againers W/pasts that make yur hair turn???but their pasts still remain their present ways they just hide behind the books of men as a mask lying to themselves & otherz! & of course dawg other religions lke catholic bigtime when majority there were all once OmG!
Ok i gave MY tidbit on this Cult for the weak & mislead who when i first started it was new but its bad when U go to a place new & supposingly positive but leave feeling worse.. So byebye!
Anonymous

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 13, 2012

Judged:

Xenos is listed as a cult by Rick Ross, nationally known cult exit counselor.

It is possible to find exit counselors who have been able to remove people from Xenos who have been brainwashed/ spiritually abused, love bombed, guilted, shunned, isolated, manipulatively recruited, turned against their families, manipulated into marriages, victimized.
Dan

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Anonymous wrote:
Xenos is listed as a cult by Rick Ross, nationally known cult exit counselor.
It is possible to find exit counselors who have been able to remove people from Xenos who have been brainwashed/ spiritually abused, love bombed, guilted, shunned, isolated, manipulatively recruited, turned against their families, manipulated into marriages, victimized.
Balance please paranoid / delusional liberals.

"If" Xenos is a cult what does that make our Somali Muslim "guests" who ritually circumcise (female genital mutilation) their female children? This is an African tribal rite so brutal even normal (non-African) Muslims are appalled.

At least Xenoids are able to leave with their anatomy intact.

You go overboard to criticize a Christian group but act like craven dogs in the face of sub-human brutality of everyday Muslim life.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2012

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
Balance please paranoid / delusional liberals.
"If" Xenos is a cult what does that make our Somali Muslim "guests" who ritually circumcise (female genital mutilation) their female children? This is an African tribal rite so brutal even normal (non-African) Muslims are appalled.
At least Xenoids are able to leave with their anatomy intact.
You go overboard to criticize a Christian group but act like craven dogs in the face of sub-human brutality of everyday Muslim life.
Dan--you are going overboard to try to level a charge against people you presume to be liberals. I have seen a number of posters here--most one-timers, many who claim a history with Xenos. Nothing to indicate to me that they are liberals.

I am personally of the liberal persuasion and also a Christian. Most of the stereotypers have a hard time with this and just write me off as being not really a Christian. Christianity is not a cult. However, there have been times, places, groups who veer from Christianity into dangerous waters. Jim Jones was an ordained Christian minister. As far as I can tell, he began sincerely. There is a group (IHOP) out in Kansas with some historical ties to heretical teachings. Bears some features of cultism, particularly as reported by folks who finally leave. It happens.

But "cult" is not just a label to throw onto people with religious beliefs that we find loathsome. As you noted, female genital mutilation is practices in some parts of the world among Muslims, even though there is nothing specific to Islam that requires it. Among health care groups working to change the cultural practice, one strategy is to take practitioners to other Muslim areas in Africa to meet other Muslims who do NOT use the practice.

Frankly, the ongoing charge that liberals hate Christianity but love Muslims is getting more than a bit tired and overplayed.
Anonymous

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

Judged:

Xenos brainwashed my child, who was in high school at the time, a minor child, against the wishes of both parents. They turn children against their families.
XenosMember

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

All of these posts make me very sad, other than the posts from Scott Risley, who is calmly trying to answer the posters question with an emphasis on how they have been "wronged" by people in our very own church.

It is sickening to me that someone in this church would psychologically abuse anyone, and I know for certain that Scott is reliable and could seek out the offender and take care of it.

If you dont have any names to give him, the offense obviously didn't happen, and you are looking for something mean to say to make yourself feel better about something you dislike or dont understand. and that isn't very christian at all, that is what members of cults do.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

XenosMember wrote:
All of these posts make me very sad, other than the posts from Scott Risley, who is calmly trying to answer the posters question with an emphasis on how they have been "wronged" by people in our very own church.
It is sickening to me that someone in this church would psychologically abuse anyone, and I know for certain that Scott is reliable and could seek out the offender and take care of it.
If you dont have any names to give him, the offense obviously didn't happen, and you are looking for something mean to say to make yourself feel better about something you dislike or dont understand. and that isn't very christian at all, that is what members of cults do.
XM--the things that people seem to be saying do not relate to the actions of individuals, but rather a pervasive culture.

Scott Risley may very well be sincere in his questions, but I don't anticipate any responses. When people break free of the grasp of a place that has held them with cultish practices, they are not likely to be able to trust anyone on the inside who offers to be interested in seeking out offenders. This approach merely confirms that those who are engaged are fairly limited in their ability to see with any rationality. If there is sincere interest, a better approach would be to try to work through some of the people or organizations who counsel cult recovery.
Big Johnson

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2012

Judged:

I love me a good cult. I belong to the Chris Bradley Cult.
2nd Chapter of Acts

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Enzyte Bob wrote:
<quoted text>
I have trouble believing that. Evangelicals and Protestants looooove Israel and Xenos is an offshoot of both. Some call it a cult, I just think it's stupid to go to a "church" that entertains you like you're at a Blue Jackets game.
But at the end of the day, any Christian faith is better than no faith at all.
I agree.

Any Christian faith is better than no faith.

Xenos is not perfect but they haven't had a scandal like what happened at Vineyard megachurch a few months ago.
American Patriot

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 17, 2012

Judged:

Scott Risley wrote:
Hi Alex. I'm an elder in Xenos and a leader in the college group. I posted a few times earlier in this thread asking people for specific details about cult-like behaviors in our group. The reason I'm asking for specifics is because I'm hoping to investigate these reports and put a stop to them if they are true. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any of the people posting on this thread to give me any specifics.
When you refer to "cell houses" I assume you are referring to ministry houses. We are transparent about what goes on in a ministry house. These are the highest level of commitment in our church, and all members agree up front to abide by the Ministry House Covenant (see http://www.xenos.org/classes/papers/minhse.ht... ). The goal it to provide support kind of like a Christian dorm on a secular university campus.
Most ministry houses have people share rooms. This is also what people living in campus dorms do as well. I don't see anything cult like about that.
All of the expectations for ministry house living are spelled out ahead of time in the house covenant. Did anyone show that to you before you moved in? I don't think you would have been kicked out for missing two meetings. People in ministry houses miss meetings. I could see them asking you if you were up for the increased commitment level. It sounds like you moved out on your own though, and weren't kicked out.
I see moving into a ministry house like joining a sports team or fraternity or any other type of club that puts requirements on its members. They spell out in advance what you are committing to and you can decide whether or not you want to join. I had a friend in college who joined a frat and they demanded just as much or more from their members. My soccer team in high school had practice every day plus games that you had to go to if you wanted to be on the team. I don't think that's cultlike.
I'd like to here specifics on this if you wouldn't mind contacting me privately. I've been in our college group 15 years and haven't seen anything like this personally. We definitely do not want to control peoples' lives, and we teach explicitly against that here: http://www.xenos.org/classes/leadership/leade...
Notice how there is a section toward the end about how people are free to spend their time however they want, etc.
Like I said, I'd like to hear specifics from you so I can investigate any cultlike practices and put a stop to them.( facebook.com/smrisley )
But I don't think that it is cultlike to teach people to live a life of high commitment to God, and that real commitment to Christian community should be part of that. That's not obscure biblical teaching. That's the main thrust of Scripture. Jesus said "Seek first God's kingdom and God's righteousness and all these things will be added to you." (Also see Ex 20:1-4; Luke 9:57ff; Luke 14:25ff; etc)
Thanks!
Thank you for being a voice crying in the wilderness.
JTF

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2012

Judged:

Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
I think you are misunderstood. As a member of Xenos, we are taught that we are all sinners, but I highly doubt in this teaching anything was said that the Holocaust did not happen. You must be confused
Columbus here I come

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 19, 2012

Judged:

My job is tranferring me to Newark in a couple of months and was looking around for a church. Seems like Xenos Christian Fellowship is one of the larger ones. After reading the comments, all I can say is WOW! Any type of church that garners such a negative response from former members certainly raises my eyebrows. It seems best to stay away from this place. May not be a cult but definitely seems like some manipulative stuff going on...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Columbus Forum right now

Search the Columbus Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
No you agree with Israeli airstrikes into Gaza? 59 min Jean 35
Columbus mayor to DNC: Pick us or lose Ohio 2 hr CMN 8
Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 5 hr Pope Che Reagan Christ I 29,208
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 6 hr super size 2,215
Lois Lerner linked to another erased hard drive 7 hr d pantz 98
Unlicensed door-to-door peddlers a nuisance | T... (Apr '11) 7 hr yeah baby yeah 22
Obama seen as threat to Constitution 9 hr Reality Speaks 36
•••
•••
•••
•••

Columbus Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE