Since: Jun 14

Location hidden

#831 Jul 8, 2014
UberGenius, you seem to have a good handle on both the good and bad things about Xenos, and I have to agree with you on most of it. Any suggestions for churches in the Columbus area for someone who has recently left Xenos? I've been searching for awhile and am struggling to find a church that shares Xenos' zeal for reaching the lost, the emphasis on smaller groups and the awesome teachings.
Carrot and Stick

Columbus, OH

#832 Jul 8, 2014
sadcarrot wrote:
UberGenius, you seem to have a good handle on both the good and bad things about Xenos, and I have to agree with you on most of it. Any suggestions for churches in the Columbus area for someone who has recently left Xenos? I've been searching for awhile and am struggling to find a church that shares Xenos' zeal for reaching the lost, the emphasis on smaller groups and the awesome teachings.
Why are you leaving since Xenos is such a great place.
Fred A

Lewis Center, OH

#833 Jul 16, 2014
That statement is just plain false. I have been a member of Xenos for many years and have never heard anything like this. Christians realize that their Lord Jesus Christ was a Jew and the God has a wonderful plan for the Jewish people. We study our Old Testament regularly. This is a church consisting of people who want to follow God. As far as Jews being sinners. Well, if you are human you are a sinner. None of us is perfect. That is why we need a savior.

Location hidden

#834 Jul 16, 2014
Carrot and Stick wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you leaving since Xenos is such a great place.
Because I can't devote multiple evenings and 20+ hours a week to Xenos activities. I'm a young mom who runs a small business, and I have family and friends outside of Xenos that I felt like I was never able to see. I felt like I was drowning with all of the meetings that I had to attend, on top of trying to keep up with other friends and spend quality time with my husband. And my experience in Xenos is that it's all or nothing. It's not okay to just attend CT and homechurch. If you're not in cell group, being discipled/discipling someone, taking classes, going to hangouts to reach people, etc, you will be confronted about it.
Really

Columbus, OH

#835 Jul 16, 2014
sadcarrot wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I can't devote multiple evenings and 20+ hours a week to Xenos activities. I'm a young mom who runs a small business, and I have family and friends outside of Xenos that I felt like I was never able to see. I felt like I was drowning with all of the meetings that I had to attend, on top of trying to keep up with other friends and spend quality time with my husband. And my experience in Xenos is that it's all or nothing. It's not okay to just attend CT and homechurch. If you're not in cell group, being discipled/discipling someone, taking classes, going to hangouts to reach people, etc, you will be confronted about it.
Well, how do other members who are in the same position as you do it? You aren't the only member with a family and friends outside of Xenos. Others can manage, you should be able manage also.

Location hidden

#836 Jul 16, 2014
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, how do other members who are in the same position as you do it? You aren't the only member with a family and friends outside of Xenos. Others can manage, you should be able manage also.
I have no idea how others manage to do it. I couldn't.
Anonymous

Westerville, OH

#837 Jul 17, 2014
It's easier to manage all that if you've been turned against your family of origin and don't have to bother with THEM anymore. Also, you could always neglect your children. Because nothing is more important than what Xenos wants you to do.
Inc

Columbus, OH

#839 Jul 18, 2014
d pantz

Toledo, OH

#842 Jul 18, 2014
sadcarrot wrote:
<quoted text>
confronted? By that you mean asked to return on your own will? Or threatened?
They cannot kill a Spook

Toledo, OH

#843 Jul 18, 2014
d pantz wrote:
Who gives a shit? If a "cult" isnt giving people koolaid with cyanide in it, then they're less corrupt than any big organized anything. Forget about religion.
Point taken. Big churches usually have some parasite problems.
Not a cult

Dublin, OH

#844 Jul 19, 2014
What is posted above was copied and pasted from elsewhere, by the way.
Where

Columbus, OH

#845 Jul 19, 2014
Not a cult wrote:
Casual Observer

Columbus, OH

#846 Jul 19, 2014
Definition of 'cult': In the sociological classifications of religious movements, a cult is a religious or other social group with deviant and novel beliefs and practices.

Xenos is a cult. I have had occasion to observe the comings & goings of these, for the most part, young people belonging to this church. I have heard detailed conversations & discussions held out front of their huge facility on the corner of 4th St. and 18th Ave. These are some misguided & impressionable folks. Most appear a little 'touched' in the head. Very much against all other religions especially Catholics & Jews. They delve deeply into religious history twisting & bending it into whatever purpose they require. These are college students with a knack for making the preposterous sound believable. The writers of their 'essays' do write well. Again these are educated albeit misguided church members. I suspect many of these have been raised in a religious environment but being that they are young [& for that reason alone] they feel the need to rebel against their parents & their upbringing. Instead of casting off religion completely they instead embrace a cult which in turn horrifies their parents & family. This satisfies their innate need for rebellion & does so in a way that appears to be simply a religious choice of a young adult. Plus of course there is the social part of this banding together of young folks. An 'us against them' mentality along with just the fact that young guys & gals love to hang out together especially when they have common interests. These traits are being manipulated in a most expert fashion by those in charge of the Xenos organization. Brainwashing, mind control, con artists, whatever you want to call it, you would be correct.

Those poor poor youths & their poor suffering families.
Casual Observer

Columbus, OH

#847 Jul 19, 2014
Go to:
http://www.xenos.org/essays/index.htm
Read their essays. Xenos is against all other religions especially the Catholics & Jews. They don't have much good to say about Muslims either. They are right up front about their hatred of all religions except Xenos. They throw a lot of historical 'facts' around leading the reader to conclude that all religions are corrupt & tainted except Xenos. Of all the religions & churches in the entire world Xenos in Columbus, Ohio is the one single exception.
Logan

Columbus, OH

#848 Jul 23, 2014
Casual Observer wrote:
Definition of 'cult': In the sociological classifications of religious movements, a cult is a religious or other social group with deviant and novel beliefs and practices.
Xenos is a cult. I have had occasion to observe the comings & goings of these, for the most part, young people belonging to this church. I have heard detailed conversations & discussions held out front of their huge facility on the corner of 4th St. and 18th Ave. These are some misguided & impressionable folks. Most appear a little 'touched' in the head. Very much against all other religions especially Catholics & Jews. They delve deeply into religious history twisting & bending it into whatever purpose they require. These are college students with a knack for making the preposterous sound believable. The writers of their 'essays' do write well. Again these are educated albeit misguided church members. I suspect many of these have been raised in a religious environment but being that they are young [& for that reason alone] they feel the need to rebel against their parents & their upbringing. Instead of casting off religion completely they instead embrace a cult which in turn horrifies their parents & family. This satisfies their innate need for rebellion & does so in a way that appears to be simply a religious choice of a young adult. Plus of course there is the social part of this banding together of young folks. An 'us against them' mentality along with just the fact that young guys & gals love to hang out together especially when they have common interests. These traits are being manipulated in a most expert fashion by those in charge of the Xenos organization. Brainwashing, mind control, con artists, whatever you want to call it, you would be correct.
Those poor poor youths & their poor suffering families.
You're liberally saying vague accusations. People don't like xenos because they're extremely conservative and take a stance against compromising to post-modern beliefs. What are the actual instances you've seen cult activity? Provide actual details if you want to say something credible.
Logan

Columbus, OH

#849 Jul 23, 2014
Anonymous wrote:
It's easier to manage all that if you've been turned against your family of origin and don't have to bother with THEM anymore. Also, you could always neglect your children. Because nothing is more important than what Xenos wants you to do.
Wow, this is a very objective and unbiased statement *sarcasm*. You clearly have anger about your or someone else's experience. So why you being this way? Why you so angry-grumps?
Logan

Columbus, OH

#850 Jul 23, 2014
sadcarrot wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea how others manage to do it. I couldn't.
I have a friend who left a while ago. She currently goes to a small homechurch sort of thing sponsored by vineyard. If xenos isn't for you I'd start there.
Logan

Columbus, OH

#851 Jul 23, 2014
Casual Observer wrote:
Go to:
http://www.xenos.org/essays/index.htm
Read their essays. Xenos is against all other religions especially the Catholics & Jews. They don't have much good to say about Muslims either. They are right up front about their hatred of all religions except Xenos. They throw a lot of historical 'facts' around leading the reader to conclude that all religions are corrupt & tainted except Xenos. Of all the religions & churches in the entire world Xenos in Columbus, Ohio is the one single exception.
Let's not confuse the words hatred and disagree. Xenos disagrees with several other world beliefs, but a church is not a conscious entity capable of emotion, so the word hate seems wrong. Xenos doesn't agree with Judaism or Islam because they both teach about salvation by obeying the law, instead of salvation by faith in Christ. Xenos disagrees with Catholicism because Catholic Doctrine declares that catholic tradition and papal decree are equal with the truth of the bible, this lead to several bad calls throughout history, like the churches old habit of selling forgiveness, or granting pre-forgiveness to crusading soldiers for rape and murder committed in the middle east during the crusades. Xenos disagrees with modernism, because it redefines human existence as "being cogs in a greater machine" where people are only as valuable as their worldly function. Xenos disagrees with post-modernism, because the main idea of post-modernism is that everyone can be right and that there is no objective truth. If there's no objective truth, that throws all faith right out the window. Xenos disagrees with universalism because it states it's based off the bible, but makes blatant claims contradicting the bible, like all faiths lead to salvation. There are several other churches that Xenos agrees with and has even had pastors from other churches come and teach at their summer institute. Lee Strobel of Willow Creek Community Church, Illinois; William Lane Craig of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Illinois; Mark Mittelberg of Cherry Hills Community Church, Colorado; John Lennox of Oxford University and Glennabbey Church, Glengormley UK: the list could go on. In the topic of religion there is always going to be more disagreement than agreement, but several prominent church leaders and teachers have visited Xenos and only had good things to say about it. You're overemphasizing the discrepancies between Xenos and all other beliefs. To be fair you should also realize the amount of people within and without Xenos who agree with it.
Grace

Columbus, OH

#852 Jul 26, 2014
Concerned Parent wrote:
My daughter began attending Xenos Christian Fellowship in Columbus Ohio after one of her friends at school invited her. The church service was called a 'Central Teaching', & at this meeting the members taught my daughter that Jewish people are sinners & that the holocaust did not take place! I am extremely disgusted with what this so called Christian church is teaching to young people under the guise of being a bible centered church. I am seeking legal counsel to find out what legal recourse I have. Have any of you had anything like this occur? Please post if you know anything about this church.
I would visit your self and see what they have to say first hand because in my experience nothing like this has ever been said, also try talking or contacting the church leaders and get there accounts before you ignorantly right off thousands of people claiming to follow Christ and taint the reputation of a church that May or may not be following God. Do some of your own investigation, check out their website, don't just blindly accuse people.
Grace

Columbus, OH

#853 Jul 26, 2014
sadcarrot wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I think you should pray about it and see what Gods priorities for your, ire are before you make calls for yourself. He created you, loves you, died for you, knows you better than anyone else, and has a plan for your life. And personally I don't see how you could find a church with as much zeal as Xenos that didn't meet that many times a week.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Columbus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
BE THANKFUL FOR THOSE THAT STAND GUARD PROTECTI... 4 min BizzyBee 2
Is Barack Obama Doing a Good Job as President? (Aug '13) 27 min Pale Rider 4,635
rebecca wild 33 min creepy perve 5
Sheriff to run for mayor of Columbus next year 35 min They cannot kill ... 5
Under the Cover of Darkness 55 min Pale Rider 6
happy thanksgiving everyone! 1 hr They cannot kill ... 16
BREAKING: Ferguson GJ Ruling Reached 1 hr Big Johnson 38
Columbus Dating
Find my Match

Columbus People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Columbus News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Columbus

Personal Finance